Start by marking “The She-Wolf of Kanta” as Want to Read:
The She-Wolf of Kanta

The She-Wolf of Kanta

(The Wolves of Kanta)

"A pair of yellow eyes caught the moonlight and locked onto hers."

Mercy has always dreamed of becoming a werewolf trapper like her father. In Kanta, one must learn how to survive one way or another. A dark-skinned, blue-eyed young beauty, Mercy understands that she brings out the beast in monsters and men. When a routine werewolf delivery turns into a vicious assault from
ebook
Published April 17th 2018 by Legion Imprint of Radiant Crown Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The She-Wolf of Kanta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The She-Wolf of Kanta

Start your review of The She-Wolf of Kanta
Candace Robinson
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I really liked this one! I loved the werewolf concept—it felt original and unique and all around cool!

As characters go, Mercy was a strong and fierce thirteen-year-old girl. I mean, seriously, she was one tough cookie with extra chocolate chips! She was smart, quick thinking, and did what needed to be done.

This was a quick read with great writing that felt more developed than some of the six hundred page books I have read. It also had The Walking Dead type vibe of a setting, minus the whole
Donna
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Kanta used to be a small city with big hopes and dreams. The people pushed back the wilderness and claimed the land for their own, creating a haven amid the old forest. Then the werewolves came."

OMG!!! I NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE NOW!!! So let’s make it into one, ok?!
That’s exactly how I felt reading this book. I felt like I was watching a creepy movie. SO GOOD!!!

The werewolf concept in this novella is so unique, I loved that! It was so well written and really kept my interest. The story is told t
Dana-Adriana B.
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I love books about powerful creatures, and werewolves are exactly what I was thinking of. Mercy is 13 years old and she is helping her father on trapping werewolves. It is a fun read.
Thank you Netgalley for this adventure.
Darrell Grizzle
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fresh take on the werewolf tale, set in a dystopian world where werewolves have radically altered society. This is an engaging, fast-paced story that manages to find glimmers of hope in the darkness. I look forward to reading more from this author!
Auden Johnson
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm always happy to see a dark-skinned main character in a fantasy/sci-fi/horror story. I like it even more when they're just regular people. As soon I read the main character, Mercy, was dark-skinned with blue eyes, I was sold. Fortunately, The She-Wolf of Kanta didn't disappoint.

In She-Wolf of Kanta, werewolf is like a disease that swept through the world. Werewolves rule the night. People make a living hunting and selling them...and females.

Mercy is 13 and the story really lingers on the fact
Maddie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The She-Wolf of Kanta - 3/5 Stars

I received this title from Netgalley in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own.

This was so, so good and not your average werewolf novel. I love a dark book, and this one gave me serious Grimm's Fairy Tale vibes. The She-Wolf of Kanta takes place in a small town surrounded by an eerie forest (eerie as in it's home to werewolves that once enjoyed feasting on and converting townspeople). Plus, it's set in a steampunk world. I don't want to go into specifics
R.J. Garcia
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short and scary novella is a cool twist on werewolf stories! Mercy was the perfect young protagonist, complex, yet likable. She had you rooting for her from the start. This story is a good escape. It is reminiscent of the old horror classics with a fresh spin.
Meera Nair
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
An engaging paranormal adventure with some steampunk elements!
Kristin
The She-Wolf of Kanta was a quick, fun and entertaining read, but I wanted to read more, like knowing the aftermath of the ending and to get to know more about the experiments. I think The She-Wolf of Kanta could work as a full-length novel.
Montgomery Pierce
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reads
It's been a while since I've read a paranormal story that's felt fresh and interesting, and The She-Wolf of Kanta was definitely both of those things for me.

Mercy Pinkerton is a 13-year-old girl living on the outskirts of Kanta, trapping werewolves with her father. The beginning of the novella opens with this, in fact, and levels us with an ominous hint that Mercy serves as poor werewolf bait because she's still but a girl, and not a mature woman as the prized male werewolves they seek to trap
Ivy
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally a new & exciting paranormal fantasy that fed my obsession for all things werewolf.
13 year old Mercy Pinkerton a young girl from Kanta who spends her time on the outskirts trapping werewolves with her father.

The tone of this story from the beginning is one of Mercy being referred to as weak, feeble, innocent little female who's only purpose to be bait for these powerful & vicious creatures.
Notably even the werewolves prefer hunting mature females yet Mercy is cast forward as bait purely b
Kelley Frank
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A post-apocalyptic setting in which the presence of werewolves has drastically altered the course of human history. Young Mercy is a strong POC female character doing everything it takes to survive the monsters — human and werewolf alike.

I read this in one sitting and was ready for more. I also wanted to draw the world. This is just begging for a graphic novel adaptation. Well-written characters, pacing, and world-building, it packs a lot into a small space but doesn’t feel crowded. Highly reco
Donna Price
Couldn't put it down until I finished reading it. Can not wait until the sequel comes out! Werewolves, steampunk, and emotional, moral dilemmas are integrated in this novella. Keeps your attention until the end and craving more! ...more
David Simpson
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very different

This is not your typical werewolf tale. Sometimes I wasn’t quite sure who the good guys were but a very interesting read set in a unique world.
Serena
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.**

I enjoyed this book and the authors take on werewolves. I have read a number of werewolf retellings & reinventions and I thought that Marlena Frank's take on this was quite unique and unusual.
The She-Wolf of Kanta is set in a dystonpian world, where werewolves have changed society, not necessarily for the better. Humans will always seek to take advantage and do not take well to
Tasha Doughman
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, owned
First off, thank you so much to Marlena Frank for providing a physical copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is my first reading a novella and to say the least: I loved it! Although I wish this was an actual novel because I loved the concept of the werewolves, and steampunk!

Mercy is, although she and her father might deny it, a bad ass little girl who helps captures werewolves in the night with her father to get some money. But when she sees what these animals go through once captured, sh
Kat
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you want a short story with a hint of horror, this YA book would be a spooky choice for you.

The horror aspect is more on the creepy, dark side. It felt more like a dark paranormal than an out-right horror novel.

There is a trigger warning in this one for physical assault about halfway through, so be aware if this is something that may unsettle you.

I gave this one 4 out of 5 stars. It's a super quick read that I finished within an hour or so. If you're looking for a great, weather-changing s
Connie Frank
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author
Jessica Reads It
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Mercy is young but strong as she navigates the small town of Kanta with her father she learns the most important lesson is survival. A very exciting world of werewolves, mystery and suspense!
Lexy
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I won this on a giveaway and oh, boy! Did I love it! This had the action, the drama and all the gruesome stuff that I craved when I read it! I need more from this author!
Angelique
Nov 22, 2019
Connie Frank
Sep 23, 2019
Sharrice
rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2019
Mar 14, 2019
Budden Books
Nov 14, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Addition 2 11 Mar 02, 2018 09:46AM

• Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Mirror Bound (The Witchling Academy #2)
  • Saint X
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Marilia, the Warlord
  • Mooncakes
  • In Atlanta or in Hell: The Camp Creek Train Crash of 1900
  • Tinder Box: The Iroquois Theatre Disaster 1903
  • Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1)
  • Highfire
  • The Ruby of the Sea
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • The Million Dollar Collar (A Bexley Squires Mystery #2)
  • Rapunzel's Daughters and Other Tales
  • Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)
Marlena Frank is the author of books and novellas that span genres from young adult fantasy to horror. Her debut novel, Stolen Book 1 of the Stolen series, has hit the Amazon bestseller charts twice. She has two books coming out in 2021: Chosen, the final book in the Stolen trilogy, and The Impostor and Other Dark Tales, a collection of dark fantasy and horror short stories.

Marlena has also writte

The Wolves of Kanta (3 books)
  • The Blood of Kanta