Start by marking “The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2)

The Consuming Fire

(The Interdependency #2)

The Interdependency, humanity’s interstellar empire, is on the verge of collapse. The Flow, the extra-dimensional conduit that makes travel between the stars possible, is disappearing, leaving entire star systems stranded. When it goes, human civilization may go with it—unless desperate measures can be taken.

Emperox Grayland II, the leader of the Interdependency, is ready
Published October 16th 2018 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Consuming Fire, please sign up.
J Yes it is. He's announced it to be scheduled for release in 2019.

Roxane
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was excited for this second installment of the Interdependency series. Lots of fun and clever storytelling. Interesting characters. A true space opera. But damn. So much exposition. So many characters explaining various histories and technologies instead of finding other ways to get that information across. There is far more explaining than actual story and the story is so good! Leave the explaining. Give us more of the political and romantic intrigue of these characters. Still can’t wait for ...more
Kevin Kelsey
I have to admit that I’m blown away. This is how you do a middle book in a series! I had a few misgivings about The Collapsing Empire (and some of Scalzi’s earlier novels), but he has completely outdone himself with this second Interdependency book. It’s fun to see his writing get better and better as he goes. The pacing is tighter, the story flows with more fluidity, the characters are much more distinct from one another now, the prose is drastically improved over the last one, and the payoff i ...more
Bradley
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two things:

What this novel does right, it does very right. Namely, he's got some very tight prose. His barebones linear plot always manages to explain everything in crystalline fashion, leaving nothing occluded, and it shows in just how much he accomplishes in such a short novel. I'm reminded of some of the best short novels of the Golden and Silver age of SF in both the style and function with one caveat: there's nothing at all racist or homophobic or sexist about it. :)

Second thing: His underl
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/10/25/...

In my review of The Collapsing Empire, I wrote that while it marked a strong return for John Scalzi to the realm of space opera, ultimately it is the next book that will determine whether The Interdependency series will sink or swim. So now that I’ve read the sequel, what did I think? Well, I’ll be honest—I was hot and cold on it. There were moments where I felt the novel floundered, but others where things really soared t
Mike
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review for The Collapsing Empire

I always enjoy Scalzi's books. They are fast paced, witty, and reside in fascinating, well developed worlds; The Consuming Fire is no exception. Following hot on the heels of the events of The Collapsing Empire Scalzi wastes no time in continuing the fast paced story of an Empire whose foundation turns out to be built in the equivalent of cosmic sand.

I think this book's strongest point is its story. Scalzi does a wonderful job both creating the framework for it to
Roz
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First impression: WHY IS THIS BOOK SO DAMN SHORT?

——
2019, WHAT? HOW DARE HE??
Gary
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
In his second Interdependency novel, John Scalzi picks up the threads he left dangling at the end of The Collapsing Empire: Kiva Lagos settles into her role as custodian of the House of Nohamapetan only to get a front-row seat to its matriarch’s treachery; Marce Claremont makes a stunning discovery (or re-discovery) while studying the collapse of the Flow streams; and Grayland II uses every tool at her disposal to consolidate power and convince the masses that the Flow collapse is real and urgen ...more
Scott
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Let me start by saying that if you don't smile when I say "Kiva Lagos" then you are dead to me.

Loved this book as much as I loved the first book in the series.
Background: I read books for the characters and yes there should be a plot but characters are what really jazzes me and gets me "into" a book.

Scalzi can write.
I mean he can really write great characters.
Sure he has a lot of swipes at (let's just call them what they are...idiots) climate change deniers in this book so there are greater them
Joel
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my absolute favorite novels of the year - it's vintage Scalzi, it feels like perhaps the most Scalzi-ish novel, if that makes sense. It's clever, witty, keeps you on your toes, and the ending is among the most "HOLY CRAP YES!" moments in a novel I've ever read. This was an outstanding read that I thoroughly enjoyed start to finish. Close to my favorite Scalzi novel.
kartik narayanan
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
The Consuming Fire is a mildly enjoyable book and is better than its predecessor. But, for the most part, it shares similar attributes while emphasizing the intrigue and politics more and de-emphasizing the 'science' aspects. its tone is a bit ragged fluctuating between seriousness and humour. And while the climax is a bit satisfying, there is a huge deus ex machine that occurs.

Ashley
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not disappointed by this sequel. P.S, actually I enjoyed this one more than the first one. P.S. writing this on my phone.

I don’t actually have much to say about the book. I enjoyed it a lot, and I was worried that I would have forgotten everything that happened in the last book, and I sort of had, but Scalzi makes it easy for you to catch up. Cardenia is still Emperox, Kiva is still a profane little firecracker, Marse is traveling around giving lectures about the flow collapse, and the eff
Peter Tillman
FIRE continues with Scalzi at his best, and he avoids middle-book slump in his new space-opera cum political-intrigue novel. You definitely need to read The Collapsing Empire first, and, as always, start with the publisher's summary at the top of this page.

"I was a teen-age Emperox." Grayland II comes of age early in her (unexpected) reign, and decides to publicize the coming disaster that losing the Flow will bring by..... having religious visions! It's not quite as nutty as it sounds, and usef
Allison Hurd
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Another fun installment in a comedic space opera about dire consequences. I don't think it was as amusing or taut as the first book, but I still read it quickly and with a few good chuckles.

CONTENT WARNING: (view spoiler)

Things to enjoy:

-Kiva and Cardenia. The stars of the show again, this time Kiva is in charge of finances, and Cardenia is announcing she's a prophet. They were still fun characters with their very own motiv
David Holmes
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was not too impressed with the first half of this book. The books in this series don't work well as stand-alones, but Scalzi tries to do his job and fill in the reader nonetheless... and those pages are mostly tedious. There's also more dabbling with Game of Thrones in Space, but it really doesn't work for me.

The second half worked much better for me than the first, though, leaving a fairly good taste in my mouth.
Rob
Executive Summary: Another fun book by Mr. Scalzi, although I wish it had been a bit longer.

Audiobook: Once again, John Scalzi and Wil Wheaton make a perfect fit. John Scalzi books are always full of snark, and Wil Wheaton is great at delivering it. He also does a few voices along the way that makes this a definite audio choice for me.

Full Review
I found the start of this book a little slow. I'm bad at names, so maybe I missed the significance later in the book, but I don't really get the point
Lata
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scalzi's did not disappoint with this second Interdependency instalment. Grayland is working really hard to get everyone to take the Flow collapse seriously, Marce is talking to scientists about the Flow collapse, Kiva Lagos is going through House Nohamapetan's finances, and finding plenty of financial shenanigans, while the Countess and Nadashe Nohamapetan are busy scheming.
The story and language are zippy, and frequently funny, even while the plans against Cardenia grow wide and fast. And the
Oleksandr Zholud
This is the second volume of the Interdependency trilogy(?). Just like the first book, The Collapsing Empire, it is a nice fast-paced yarn without heavy philosophizing. While per se it isn’t bad, for Scalzi is the talented writer but it is still not up to his other novels even despite the ending of this one calls for adding another star to the rating.

There is the Interdependency, a collection of human worlds/habitats, connected by the Flow, which allows faster than light travel and united under
Acqua
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.25 stars.

What The Consuming Fire lacks in depth, it makes up for in entertainment and solid plotting.
While reading this sequel, I finally understood what exactly wasn't working for me when I reread - and loved a lot less - The Collapsing Empire. It's about the relationships. And with that I do not mean only the romance, even though it's part of the problem.
Every relationship the characters have in this book has basically no depth to it, even when the character involved aren't completely flat (
Frederico Araujo
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Superb book with an interesting end.
Although a quick book, still entertaining.
Definitely some room to develop more the characters. Now can't wait for the 3rd book.
Ryan Fry
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently reread The Collapsing Empire and though I loved it the first time I found it stale the second time around. I felt it lacked character development, well anything it lacked in the first book IT FREAKING KILLED IN THIS ONE!

An amazing amount of character development from all of my favorite characters from TCE and it really built up the universe that is the Interdependency. Scalzi did an amazing job weaving the stories and points of view into an amazing and intimate space opera.

Highly re
Jon Adams
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in a day (without reading it at work) and stayed up way too late to finish it. It's prefect continuation to The Collapsing Empire. Even with all the intrigue and politics, I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud. Read it!
Sally
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I have such mixed feelings about this series. The world is fascinating, and the central conflict with its parallels to climate change is a worthy challenge to tackle in a space opera, but sometimes I wonder if Scalzi is really up to that challenge. I feel like if he and Kim Stanley Robinson could just meld minds for a bit, they’d write my ideal sci-fi novel. But I also feel like they would NOT get along.

My main beef with both this and The Collapsing Empire is that these novels are too short to
Michael Hicks
Readers who enjoyed John Scalzi's previous entry in his latest series, The Interdependency, should find The Consuming Fire a fun romp. That said, being a second book in a trilogy, it does have a fair bit of middle-child syndrome, even if it is, overall, an engaging and fast-paced listen.

The Collapsing Empire, 2017's most appropriately named book release, set the stage for this series with its central premise of interstellar travel by way of the Flow (think rivers in space) and what will happen t
Amazonaute
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Roy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Scalzi just makes scifi fun and easy to read. Action, thrills humour and more!! Hes never overly complicated with his structure or world buidling. If youre new to scifi 100% check this out.
Kate
This is such a good series and I couldn't wait to read this. It is fabulous! So funny, action-packed, scandalous and thrilling. I think it suffers just a little from being the 'middle book' but it's such a fun read in its own right. And now I cannot wait for book 3! Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Soo
Just Notes:

- I want the third book to be out now.
- Story development for the plot took too long.
- The climax was not given the right amount of development. It made it seem like a tasteless tie up rather than a well thought out conclusion.
- I felt like I fell into a weird vortex and ended up in Bobiverse. If there is an intentional connection to the series, that's awesome.
Bonnie McDaniel
This is the second book in the Interdependency Sequence, and it has all the John Scalzi trademarks: a fast-moving plot, snarky dialogue, skimpy description, and solid worldbuilding. This last in particular is a high point of the book for me, as there were several revelations about the history of the Interdependency that I hope will be expanded upon in the final book. Presumably they will, as things are clearly pointing in that direction.

The only thing I didn't care for--and to be clear, this is
FanFiAddict
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This one is going to be short, and pretty much to the point.

You know all of those times when you highly anticipate a sequel and then are immediately let down? Yeah, this is one of those.

First things first: I LOVE Will Wheaton’s narration. He makes each and every novel even better with his spoken word, but it wasn’t enough to force my hand into giving more love.

Beginning on the heels of The Collapsing Empire, The Consuming Fire takes us on a journey that, well, reminds us of what happened in Book
Trike
The second installment of the Interdependency series is fast and fun, everything you want in a rollicking Space Opera adventure. Scalzi really packs in a lot of stuff, too, from space battles to palace intrigue to exploration of long-lost civilizations. It’s Star Wars, Rendezvous with Rama, and Dune distilled into one lean package.

He also manages to make the collapse of the Flow, the interstellar river/highway which connects all the worlds of the Interdependency, into a non-obvious commentary on
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Consuming Fire" Buddy Read 48 61 Dec 05, 2018 02:09AM
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)

The Interdependency (3 books)
  • The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency #1)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
“A church is an institution separate from the religion it serves. It’s filled with people. And you know how people are.” 3 likes
“the cynical could afford the luxury of their cynicism because of the stability of the system they mocked.” 3 likes