Start by marking “Regret (Shattered Secrets #1)” as Want to Read:
Regret (Shattered Secrets #1)

Regret

(Shattered Secrets #1)

When it comes to women, Hunter Keaton has rules.

Those rules ensure his life stays uncomplicated and controlled. Control is what he craves, what he needs to keep his inner demons quiet.

Private investigator by day, his life is nothing but a pit of regret, devoid of any and every emotion.

Hired to find an elusive runaway—a wild, hot-headed woman with sinfully enticing cu
Published April 25th 2017 by Limitless Publishing LLC (first published April 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Regret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regret

Start your review of Regret (Shattered Secrets #1)
Snow
4.75 " the full circle" stars

Fuckin hell, Bella J! Fuckin hell...

This is not a love story. This is not a tale of how love conquers all.

This is a story of how two people equally shattered by their pasts realize that two broken souls can’t make a whole.

Hunter Keaton has been struck with the most excrutiating pain from the loss of the person he loved deeply. The love of his young life that he couldn't protect. That he somehow failed.
Blue was a beautiful, refined, sofisticated woman, while
Expresso
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Bella! Her dark stories are like a Snickers bar.......extremely satisfying! This story although dark, fell short for me. Where and why? Read on....

Scarlet is an alpha female. Her past and current circumstances demand her to be an alpha female. I don't mind an alpha female in a story. I don't mind an alpha female to a certain extent, that is. Hunter is the alpha hero in the story. Let me rephrase. He is the perceived alpha. I was fine with the dynamics until Scarlet began beating his ass s
Coco.V
Nov 24, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (11/24/2017)! 💝
Renee
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Regret is the first book in Bella J's new series Shattered Secrets. It does in a cliffhanger since it is the first book. However I will say that it is so worth it to be left on the edge of your seat.

Hunter Keaton has rules when it comes to women. The rules are in place to make sure his life stays uncomplicated and controlled. He has to have control. It is the only thing that keeps his inner demons quiet. Hunter is a private investi
Isa Jones (Jo&Isalovebooks Blog)
OMG DID I JUST READ THAT???

Regret is one of those books that once you start reading you can't put it down, you need to get to the end and what an ending this was, I can't wait for the next story.

Hunter Keaton is a man on a mission. As a PI he takes his job very seriously and never once struggles to find his mark. The dreadful events of his past have turned him into someone who desperately needs control. He will not submit at nothing or no one and he will only be with women who like to willingl
NC Reader
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a die hard fan of reading books told from the characters POV. Regret is told in 3rd person which I find nearly impossible to connect with the characters. Scarlett is a control freak and a bit extra. Her constant need to punch and inflict pain on Hunter got on my last nerve. Hunter is supposed to be a control freak as well but came across weak to me. I was expecting a stronger more alpha type with him. The secrets between the two were never ending and stressed my ass out! Like, I was ready to ...more
Nikki  Malan
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Regret by Bella J
Hunter has strict rules which he lives by. His demons remind him daily of his regret. By day he is a Private investigator and by night he is devoted to his rules. He controls his life, as well as those who step into it. He takes on a case to find the sinfully, seductive, Scarlet Woods. There is something alluring about her and she spells trouble with a capital T. She is an enigma shrouded in secrecy. He is drawn to her, like a moth to a flame but this one is sure to burn him. Sc
EpicRomanceReviews
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 POWDER KEG stars!!

"You’re a broken soul, Scar. Just. Like. Me.”

Holy Intensity!!!!!!! REGRET by Bella J., a blazing inferno of red hot passion and gut-wrenching pathos, soul shattering torment and mind-numbing regret, was on fire!!!

Hotshot private investigator Hunter Keaton has been hired to track down Scarlet Woods who has been MIA for years, and when he finally makes his move and pounces on the sultry bartender at the Twisted Fable strip club, both of their worlds literally implode!

Sara Reece
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you want grit, raw emotion, intence, dark read then look no further this is your next baby!! I mean omfg this had my heart gripped, every page had had me wanting more, wishing more.... wanting a happy ending.......#cliffhanger .....

Keaton has a past, one with hurt and regreats so he needs control in he's life to keep the demands at bay. Well he was not exspecting Scarlet (who has her own broken soul) come into he's life and through everything out of control! Who will he live like with Scarlet
Melissa J (Book Addicts Reviews)
5 hot as hell stars!!! I. Can. Not. Even.!!!

This is the first book of the "Shattered Secrets" series. This book went straight to my favorites list!!!

Hunter and Scarlett's story is one of pain, regret, control and torment. This isn't your sweet lovey dovey romance story, this is two broken souls colliding. These two only have pieces of their former selves, how can you ever give someone a part of you when there is no part to give?!?!

"Those blue eyes were his hope, his heaven...his fucking magic i
Sassy Southern
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stop what you're doing immediately and add this to your TBR list. Regret is hands down a top read of 2017. Regret is the absolute perfect mix of comedy, action, angst, and smut rolled into one book.
Scarlet Woods is hiding from something-so much is evident to Hunter Keaton, a successful PI hired to track and find her. When he realizes what she's running from can put her into some serious danger, he vows to protect her at all costs. Along the way we learn about both Hunter and Scarlet's demons-an
A.J. Norris
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 STARS!!!
Bella J brings the heat! I enjoyed this book very much and binge read it, which I normally don't do. There were a couple of places in the book where I went, "Holy crap!" but in the best way. ;) There's other good things I want to say about this book but I don't want to spoil it for other potential readers. So I leave the author with this one question instead: When does the next book come out? More please...
Jamie
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Regret
Shattered Secrets #1
By: Bella J

5 Stars

I’m Jamie and a lover of books, mainly dark romances, with lots of suspense and a dominate alpha male, too. (who doesn’t?!) Oh, and I don’t do wimpy chicks.

This is my first book by Bella J.Once I read the synopsis, I was done. I knew I had to read it. It definitely was everything it promised. HOLY CLIFFHANGER HELL!

Scarlet Wood is a snarky bartender working at Twisted Fable, a strip club. She’s tougher than most men because she has had to be. Constantly
Carla
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

**Carla's Five Star Review

"Hey there Little Red Riding Hood, You sure are looking good
Your're everything a big bad wolf could want, Listen to me"....I know this won't make sense right now, but once you start reading the book, you won't be able to get that tune out of your head.

What an awesome read! It is the story of Little Red Riding Hood on crack! Hunter and Scarlet both have dark pasts. One is being haunted by the past, and the
Sarah Nickles
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is my first read by Bella J and I can't wait to dive into more.

Scarlet is a bartender who works at her local strip club. She doesn't stay in one place too long, staying off the radar and avoiding all things from her past. She is strong willed and hard headed.

Hunter is a private investigator haunted by the blue eyes of his past. He has 2 rules and he follows them well until he is hired to find Scarlet. Finding Scarlet was supposed to be just like any other assignment he has taken but the lo
Fran Zoch, LSoR
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap!!! Ok first off yes this is just the first part of this book so cliffhanger.

Hunter and Scarlett have a past neither one knows about and it all hell breaks loose in this book.

I do not ever read cliffhangers but I can not wait for the next one because this one is a page Turner, and it also kept me sitting on the edge of my seat wanting to know more.

I am officially addicted to Hunter and Scarlett
Chasidy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow….Let me start by saying this isn't your typical love story, but I could not put this book down!!
Hunter and Scarlet are two tortured souls. Bella J had a way of making me lose myself in the book. There is so much emotion in the story. I loved the characters and the storyline. She kept me wanting more. It does end in a cliffhanger, but it leaves you wanting so much more. I can't wait to see what's next!! This is a definite read!

Angela
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel slow that it took me the whole book to figure out that twist
Catherine Bibby (Rochelle's Reviews)
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

After reading every one of Bella J's currently published books, I can tell you that she always weaves an intoxicating spell with her words. Whether it is a forbidden love that was never meant to happen in Resplendent Ruin, or a stripper missing a stiletto heel in Stiletto Secrets, Bella J keeps you riveted and often times leaves you wrapped in varying shades of desire and left wanting. The same could be said about Hunter and Scarlet and their dec
Blue
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alternating-povs

Scarlet is on the run playing a dangerous cat and mouse game... a game she knows that will not end until either he dies or her. Hunter has been tracking Scarlet but when he comes to realise that this is not the usual P.I gig he originally thought, he decides to help Scarlet out instead.

This was honestly such a boring and disappointing read. For the life of me I cannot understand why I thought the story would get any better or exciting UGHHHH. These two on the run and all the sexual t
Sam
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 broken souls stars!!!!! WOWWW!!!!!! Bella J has absolutely blown my freaking mind into smithereens with REGRET!!!!! I just finished and I have goosebumps all over!!!! And I am REELING over that doozy of a cliffhanger!!!!!!

I initially had a love-hate relationship with both Hunter and Scarlet!! I got so frustrated with the constant push and pull between them, but then as the story is revealed through a series of flashbacks and memories, I began to understand why they acted the way they did. T
Vickie
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Private investigator Hunter is always in control, he thrives on it. Ever since losing a loved one years ago, Hunter has been living an uncomplicated but controlled life. He's got a chip on his shoulder, tormented by his memories and regrets, and that is one of the reasons he keeps women at a distance. When he takes on a job that leads him to Scarlet he's not expecting the feisty, young woman that soon has him breaking the two rules he's always lived by.

The chemistry between Scarlet and Hunter i
Deb Carroll
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!

Every story I read from this author grips me and pulls me in. With this one you feel the fear, determination and struggle rolling off both Hunter & Scarlet. They are 2 halves of a whole on a collision course that will change both them. I was to give Scarlet a good slap upside the back of her head at point but her snark is a coping mechanism. I can't wait till book 2!
My only complaint....If I heard the word Ace one more time I was going to be sick. It was way to much!
Tammy
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Regret by Bella J
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This book is best summed up by Bella J's own blip:
This is not a love story. This is not a tale of how love conquers all.
This is a story of how 2 people equally shattered by their pasts realize that 2 broken souls can't make a whole.
Holy cliffhangers!
Can't wait for the next book.
Read an ARC for honest review.
Becky Baldridge
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Holy Moly! REGRET pulls out all the feels from the very beginning. I expected the story to be dark, but it's also incredibly intense from the heartbreaking prologue to the very last page.

I don't think Bella J has left an emotion out of this one and I was so thoroughly enmeshed in this story and the characters that I felt them all. I laughed, I cried, I got mad. Add in the moments of frustration, anxiety, sympathy, heartbreak, hope, as well as the loss of that hope, and this is one roller coaste
Claudia Cardoz
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY LOVED THIS ONE. WOW!!!!!! Really it's like this story has shattered my mind and really I'm like WHAT A RIDE. The book starts with mega hot PI Hunter Keaton and how he has to find the Scarlet Woods for a Client. What he thought was a simple job turns out to be something else altogether. The story is definitely Soul Shattering and So Intense, Like will hook its Claws deep into your skin. But what I LOVED THE MOST is the way the author has written the story. With each beautif ...more
Abigail Davies
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I want to start by saying that Bella is one of my favourite authors. I LOVE her books so when I saw this one, I knew that I HAD to read it.

First I want to say that I really struggle to read in third person. I feel like I get told many things but not shown them. But that's my personal preference.

I also felt that this book wasn't a normal Bella J book. I felt like it wasn't completely her style, but that could have been because of third person too.

I do love the story line, but there's parts whe
Teresa Doherty
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG, stick the knife in and keep twisting it, dark, dark romance, with a side of dirty suspense running through it, just how I like it. Scarlet, always careful, no strings only one night stands, the sort of thing that keeps you under the radar when a psycho is after you. PI Hunter has Scarlet in his sights, he took this job when her cousin reached out to him to bring her home, that is until she gets attacked by men following him, so the guy doesn't trust him. Hunter decides to get her story whic ...more

• Consent (The Loan Shark Duet, #2)
  • Burn (Virtues & Lies, #1)
  • Blood Lust (Royal Bastards MC: Savannah, #1)
  • The Mafia and His Obsession: Part 2 (Tainted Hearts, #5)
  • VII: Seven (War of Roses #2)
  • I (One) (War of Roses Book 3)
  • Bash (Kings of Carnage MC, #2)
  • Destruction (Fragile Ties, #1)
  • Don't Say A Word: Requested Trilogy - Part One
  • Island Captive
  • Atone (The Disciples Book 2)
  • T-Bone (Satan's Fury-Memphis #9)
  • Lost Boy
  • Severed (The Taken Series #1)
  • El Santo (Saint-Sinner, #1)
  • Beast (Twisted Ever After, #1)
  • Abducted
  • Striking a Balance (Thalia, #2)
All the way from Cape Town, South Africa, Bella J lives for the days when she’s able to retreat to her writer’s cave where she can get lost in her little pretend world of romance, love, and insanely hot bad boys.

Bella J is a Hybrid Author with both Self-Published and Traditional Published work. Even though her novels range from drama, to comedy, to suspense, it's the dark, twisted side of romance

Shattered Secrets (2 books)
  • Torment (Shattered Secrets Book 2)

News & Interviews