Start by marking “Management Rev Ed” as Want to Read:
Management Rev Ed

Management Rev Ed

The essential book on management from the man who invented the discipline

Now completely revised and updated for the first time
Published April 22nd 2008 by Harper Business (first published January 1st 1985)

Start your review of Management Rev Ed
Adam Wiggins
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the magnum opus of one of the greatest business minds of the 20th century, filtered and updated by one of his students five years after his death.

It took me a year and a half to make it through this book. Each chapter was so dense with thought-provoking concepts that I couldn't read more than about one a week. The book's preface recommends reading each chapter as a standalone essay, which I agree with.

The core hypothesis here is both simple and grand. Organizations (meaning for-profit co
Fahed S. Al Kerdi
Without hesitation, I called Kotler's "Marketing Management" as the Bible of marketing, and using the same perspective, I will name this terrific book "The Bible of Management". There is not lecturer can teach management without using one of Drucker's publications, especially this book.
I made a good use of the content of this book to quote some definitions about the social implementation of management literature, such like entrepreneurship.
I have read the kindle version and it was well designed
Gene Babon
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
No manager worth her weight should be allowed to manage people, projects or businesses without a fundamental understanding of the teachings of Peter Drucker, The Man Who Invented Management. Management Rev Ed captures a lifetime of Drucker's principles in one legacy guide book on the practice of management.

The original text was published in 1973. This revised edition integrates Drucker's findings from then until his passing in 2005 at age 95. At more than 500 pages it is comprehensive, yet easy
Matt
Oct 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Managment
Drucker has been a recent discovery for me. The clarity he brings to the role of manager at any level is refreshing. Though I would recommend the Essential Drucker as an intro.
Luke
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book and skip the airport bookstore where much of what is included here is repackaged as fresh and new.
Toma
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately it is way too theoretical. I had huge expectations about this book but although I am sure there are some hidden gems, I would say it is not worth the effort.
Mohammad Noroozi
What other readers have written here is absolutely true. Anyone who wants to manage others should read this book first.

As I read through the book, I found myself thinking to myself over an over again "how did one person put together all this knowledge?" The whole book reads like a home maintenance manual in that it answers questions you didn't even know you had before you read through, or poses problems that you hadn't considered but are vital to the health of any organisation, and gives clear s
Jurgen Appelo
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book, though a bit long. I took many, many notes, which shows I learned a lot from it. But the writing style was a bit dry.
Stephen Wong
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this about 18 years ago, from my dad's library. I saw the revised edition at the bookstore today. Yes, it's the classic tome. I believe it has influenced me in subtle ways. Worth a re-read.
Lucas
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So much information I haven't found elsewhere. A must re-read, although there's a lot at the beginning (and some scattered throughout) that is more philosophical and less actionable. Also too long to properly summarize.

The theory of the business has 3 parts:
1) Assumptions about the environment of the organization (society and its structure, the market, the customer, and technology). These define what the organization expects it can be paid for.
2) Assumptions about the specific mission of the or
Mansur Mustaquim
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a thought-provoking read. Its subject matter is possibly too broad for this to be read in a few days or weeks. I ended up reading this over the course of a year. Going back and re-reading some chapters and sections was quite common as, while reading, I would be unable to resist searching for prior passages that I couldn't always recall. For the most part, this book doesn't teach management, it invites us to think about the various responsibilities and impacts of management.

I discovered
Sooraj
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The longest academic book I have ever read, but absolutely worth it.
How did our organizations, professions and our work begin and evolve to where we are today?
What is the difference between businesses, services and innovative organizations.
What are the different ways of producing work in organizations?
What are the different ways of creating organizations?
The answers to all these questions will definitely develop in you a new enriched perspective.

Negatives:
Very academic in nature, requires slow p
Jorė
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Took me four years to read it through, but oh, how much Drucker has my heart!
I've taken a book annoyed with some presentation where he was quoted. It seemed to be a case of putting just a quote without ever reading the actual work. Through the years I've collected my own fav ideas of Drucker and integrated them in my work because they just make so much sense. And that the book is finally finished doesn't mean I'm finished reading it. Planning to return many times to review what Mr. Drucker has
Juste
The best book ever read on Corporate Organization and Management. The book that make you feel more intelligent and allow you to show wisdom.
But the human and/or interpersonnal skills should be taken somewhere else.
Personally, a mix of Covey (7 habits...) and Carnegie (How to...) may fulfill the blanks of the absolute necessity to deal with People and boost your executive career and capabilities.
Li Li
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mustread, 2019
A classic management book - The Bible.

I've read quite some management books and took variety of online and live training. All management concepts and guiding principles are in this book. It is practical and simple. If you choose to read one book and only one book on management subject, this is THE one.
Pulkit Gupta
Had to read it as part of promotion requirements - the approach is very 20th century like but the world is a very different place now and the businesses have changed drastically. Not recommended for anybody.
Jacob O'connor
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is a beast. I should get college credit for reading it. It compares to Adam Smith's Wealth of the Nations, and this is the most satisfied I've ever been finishing a business book. Required reading.
Maxat
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply must read for all managers and who wants to become one. Not too easy, not too complicated. A very well balanced book. I should have read it at least five years ago.
Wolfb
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks
M.WASIM
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good
Will West
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book. A must read. It will change the way you see business and the future. This man is brilliant and ahead of his time.
Max Cojevnicov
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion Mr Peter F. Drucker in the field of Management is as C.S. Lewis in the field of Fiction.
Moayad Taibah
This book is a mixed bag for me. It did help me realize how management has changed in the age of information and knowledge workers and get a better understanding of how one is supposed to work alongside his team rather than try to keep a handle on all things himself. That said, a lot of this book felt like that last shot of a movie that has a sequel, panning above an an undiscovered mystery that you want to delve into but nope, you'll have to look for it elsewhere.

I'll admit that it has been a
Bob Wallner
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business Leaders
I listened to the Audio version of Management as so many people have listed this as THE BOOK on management. I had read this for my business undergrad, but by not being in the workforce, it didn't mean much.

So much of my reading focus has been on leadership and leading people. This book reminds us that there is so much more to all businesses than simply Leading. Processes, Focus, Vision, etc need to be managed.

Many reviews can get into the meat and potatoes of what Management is about. I would pr
Tao Lee
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Note to self: How to nourish the brain - The human brain absorbs almost half of all the oxygen and all the energy in the body. The five sense organs work directly for the brain and supply it with stimuli. To Nourish the brain is to supply it with stimulus and energy.
James Curcio
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book looks like it's going to make a nice doorstop. It's thick as someone's arm and written about a subject that most people-- including managers-- could seem to give a damn about. Management. What methods have been used, what is effective, and what is the social responsibility of a corporate entity?

Let's deal with that last one for a moment. Because this is the singular problem with this book. Drucker somehow makes the subject interesting, it is well researched, and there are many keen obs
Doug
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in management theory
WOW ... I can see why they say that this book is used in some colleges as class text books. It is written in that style, and while the subject matter is not exactly the stuff of legends, it is a fairly easy and (if you are interested in the topic of management in general) interesting read.

The book is laid out in a fairly straight forward fashion, with plenty of cross references to other chapters for follow up or review.

The examples listed are, for the most part, easy to understand. They are also
David McClendon, Sr
Drucker attempts to give detailed information on many different areas of management. The book contains loads of information. Drucker provides his readers a detailed history of the field of management.
The reader also learns a good deal about different management structures and styles, and the need for companies to structure their organizations to allow for growth.
This book was a long read for me, primarily because this type of book is recreational reading for me and I have been busy of late. The
Kari Metzger
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow. Simply the most thorough, genius book on management I've ever read. This is like taking an entire course in the history of management from where it began to where we are today - and is a fabulous download on Drucker's beliefs.

Let me say - this is for serious managers who truly see management as a calling and want to understand it at a deep level. Sometimes it could be a bit dry, and it is less of a 'do this, do that' book and more of a thorough study into the theory of management. I con
Sam Spurlin
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There aren't many 800 page books where I feel an urge to immediately start reading again from the beginning. As a book written in the early 70's there's obviously much that is dated (the only pronoun for managers and leader Drucker uses is 'he', Soviet Russia is alive and well, 'are multinationals here to stay?!' etc.). However, I was more struck by how much of what Drucker wrote about seems applicable and prescient today (importance of self-development/continuous learning for knowledge workers, ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Find Your Why: A Practical Guide to Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team
  • American Icon: Alan Mulally and the Fight to Save Ford Motor Company
  • How The Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck—Why Some Thrive Despite Them All
  • Understanding Michael Porter: The Essential Guide to Competition and Strategy
  • Measure What Matters
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • Principles: Life and Work
  • Competing for the Future
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer ...more

News & Interviews

“Leadership is not magnetic personality, that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not "making friends and influencing people", that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person's vision to higher sights, the raising of a person's performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations.” 90 likes
“A man should never be appointed to a managerial position if his vision focuses on people’s weaknesses rather than on their strengths. The man who always knows exactly what people cannot do, but never sees anything they can do, will undermine the spirit of his organization.” 14 likes