Start by marking “The Stationmaster's Cottage (River's End Mystery Romance #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stationmaster's Cottage (River's End Mystery Romance #1)

Read Book

The Stationmaster's Cottage

(River's End Mystery Romance #1)

“There are secrets in that cottage. Questions needing answers.”

Those words gave Christie Ryan a reason to stay in River’s End, when she should have gone home after Gran’s funeral.

Inheriting a rundown cottage, far from her jet-setting life, she is drawn into a fifty-year-old mystery.

Who wrote the letters hidden in the attic, an outpouring of love to a woman Christie suspec
Paperback
Published February 14th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Stationmaster's Cottage, please sign up.
Phillipa Clark Hello! They certainly do. I've had a number of lovely comments from male readers who enjoyed the mystery and felt connected to both the leading male c…moreHello! They certainly do. I've had a number of lovely comments from male readers who enjoyed the mystery and felt connected to both the leading male characters.(less)

Start your review of The Stationmaster's Cottage (River's End Mystery Romance #1)
Tahera
The Stationmaster's Cottage is one of those books that you come across purely by chance and are so glad when it does. It's a romance book which gives you such good vibes and since I read this book in between all the dark thrillers I was reading, it was a breath of fresh air. Everything is good about this book-the story is heart breaking and heart warming, the characters are believable and the pace is well balanced. River's End, a small coastal town in Australia where the story is based, sounds l ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Decades old family secrets, a rundown cottage with heartbreaking history and a spectacular coastal locale is at the heart of author Phillipa Nefri Clark’s intriguing novel, The Stationmaster’s Cottage. Weaving the love stories of two women, separated by time but forever tied together by lineage, The Stationmaster’s Cottage will delight readers who enjoy unravelling secrets of the past.

The focus of The Stationmaster’s Cottage begins with Christie Ryan, a youn
Brenda
The death of Christie Ryan’s grandmother was the beginning of a profound change in her life. As she headed to the small country town of River’s End to meet Angus, Gran’s long-time employee, it was much against her fiancé Derek’s wishes. He was scornful of her need to go to the funeral, and Christie’s heart broke a little at his words. But she needed to do this; Derek would have to wait.

River’s End was only a few hours from Melbourne, but Christie had never heard of the place. She and her Gran ha
Helen
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW this is such an awesome story a debut for MS Nefri Clark and a total winner amazing story a time slip set in the late 1960’s and present time, a story of family secrets true love and lost love. My advice make yourself comfortable and sit back with this one because you are not going to want to put it down.

Make-up artist Christie Ryan is just about to leave on a romantic getaway with her fiancé Dereck when she gets a message that her estranged grandmother has passed away and that the funeral w
Deanne Patterson
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Not very often does a book leave your soul to bleed as this one did to me. The author engaged me in her work of fine writing throughout. A time slip story taking place in modern times as well as the back story taking place in 1967. A perfect blend of suspense that kept me reading,romance and perseverance. There are many secrets in this book and Christie Ryan sets out to solve them as they are her families history. When she inherits an old Stationmaster's Cottage in a town she's never heard of af ...more
Sue Gerhardt Griffiths
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
5 big fat Stars, but seriously, The Stationmaster’s Cottage by Phillipa Nefri Clark deserves so many more.

Wow. Superb. Beautiful. Outstanding.

This just might be my favourite read of 2017.

The day I started reading this I was sitting at a picnic table which overlooked the beautiful foreshore of Wollongong. In between reading I was hoping to gaze at the scenery and also watch what was going on around me but the rolling waves , the stunning mountain vista, people enjoying their barbecue lunches, all
P.S. Winn
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The setting for this story is beautiful and the story is a heart touching that takes readers back generations. In the present, Christie Ryan was given a cottage after the death of her grandmother. the cottage isn't much to look at but the secrets hidden inside are what make this story of romance, mystery and courage. This is a well written story that is a good one to read when you feel like getting lost in the secrets of the past. ...more
Shirley Wine
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story of love and hope

I enjoyed this book immensely, I liked the way the story was interwoven from past to present, the way, the characters were strong and believable. The story has it all, mystery, intrigue and romance.
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
A beautiful story of lost love. Heart warming as well as heart breaking this book is a crazy roller-coaster of emotions!!
Intriguing Epilogue which captivated my interest and continued to throughout the book
Loved the way the author mingled past and present as to reduce any confusion there may have been otherwise and to fill in any gaps
Excellent descriptions that paint a picture with words
Filled with mystery, heartbreak, loss, betrayal, surprises, romance, lost love and true love
Handful of gram
Vicky
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover drew me immediately – an old scroll, ribbon interlacing rings, a key and an old photo – were all elements that told a story of its own. This is a wonderful time-slip story set in a small town in Australia involving two love stories two generations apart and how they are entwined. Lovers of genealogy, history and romance will love this book. It uses an unusual layout and formatting which can be a bit distracting. Great debut novel
Annemarie Groves
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Romantic fiction is not high on my list of preferences when it comes to literary genre. There was something intriguing about the synopsis of this read that caught my attention, the element of mystery. The author did an excellent job of teasing the reader as clues behind people, their motives, the places and their significance and the family history that was slowly being revealed. The characters were well written and described, without being too superficial or over the top or sentimental, you gen ...more
Sandra McKenna
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, this is such a lovely story.

I do love discovering new authors, and I am thrilled with Phillipa's writing style, and have already purchased more in this fabulous series.
Christie travels to Rivers End to attend her Grandmother's funeral, and uncovers hidden letters and much much more.
A story full of secrets and lies; an enduring love, and healing, with flashbacks to the 1960's.
This very moving and compelling read had me hooked from beginning to end.
I admit to pausing occasionally to reach
Sally Stackhouse
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story 50 years apart, in 1967 Martha and Thomas got engaged then it all went wrong.

Present day, Christie attends her estranged grandmother’s funeral and is surprised to be the inheritor a run-down stationmaster’s cottage in a small country village. She stumbles across things from the past showing deception and love. In amongst these finding from the past her own relationship and career are subject to lies and suspicion.

The dual timeline worked well enough to make it a pleasant read. There we
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Stationmaster's Cottage by Phillipa Nefri Clark has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

"Enthralling, gripping, more turns than a roundabout."

"Totally engaging, not over sugary with the romance and the mystery of the truth behind the family secrets was better handled than some mystery novels. Worked well as a stand alone and did not leave you unsatisfied at the end, more ready to read book two!"

"A lovely easy read. I started this novel and did not put it down u
Gail Wylde
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I loved this book from start to finish and cannot wait to read the follow up. That's all I need to say! I highly recommend this if you want a lovely read.
Samantha
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. Set in a Victorian coastal town, it tells the story of 2 local families who are intertwined across the years. Lots of ups and downs, great characters and a very nice dog.
Sue E Morgan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Secrets, suspense and wonderful ending is so good. Would love another book like this. Couldn't put it down.

Plan on recommending this to my friends. I would love to see a movie from this book . Who says love isn't possible as you age.
Toni Lucero
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love!

I enjoyed the.characters in this story. I wanted.the story to go on and on. I enjoy a good love story, this one did not disappoint.
Victoria
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can i say i received this book from netgalley and i am so glad i did what a great book i liked the way the story went. the characters in the book was well written the story was amazing beyond anything i ever expected if anything please read this book.
this is a historical fiction based in Australia i can say i have always read book that are based in either England and America never have i read anything based anywhere else i am so glad have broadened my horizon to new books i can not wait to
Linda Burson
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating and warm-hearted love-story full of secrets and lies, heartaches and joy. This novel is more narrative than dialogue, and more plot-driven than character driven--almost has more of a literary style to it. The first half of the story is mostly descriptive. In fact, for a while, I was waiting for the story to truly begin, because it seemed the descriptions of the places, landscapes and people wasn't ending; though the writing is very good. I'm just not one of those readers who's a fa ...more
NANCY D. RIGGS
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Was very hard to put down. I really didn’t want it to end but now I can go to the second in the series. This is my first time reading this author and won’t be the last.
Margaret Lancaster
A thoroughly good read. Would have liked it to carry

A thoroughly good read. Would have liked it to carry on for another 200 pages as I lost myself in the story
Karen Herzog
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very quick read, bit of a romance and a bit of history. It was very well written and a good book.
Barbara Strickland
There are two love stories here, even if they are generations apart, and both of them stand at the precipice of the happy ever after. The reader is caught up hoping that those involved will stop wasting time. What is wonderful about this novel is that it a gentle lesson in life. We set our own limitations to our future when we don't question what is in right in front of us. Both Martha and Christie ironically do the same thing in two different ways and it sets off a chain of misunderstandings, b ...more
Lisa
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful read from an author who is new to me. It certainly won't be the last of her books that I read though. It's essentially two love stories in one, told across generations, through the eyes of the characters, and inferred from letters and clues left behind. I thought it was wonderful that the author didn't insult her reader's intelligence by telling them every little detail, instead leaving it up to them to understand the story from what is reveals in the book.

I love that the a
Bonnye Reed
GNAB The Stationmaster's Cottage was a sweet tale, a good change of pace feel-good story peopled with understandable protagonists and an interesting backstory, taking place in a part of Australia we don't often read much about. I look for this type of story this time of the year, with life geared up to frantic these few days before Christmas. Phillipa Nefri Clark is an author to watch for.

I received a free electronic copy of this novel from Netgalley Phillipa Nefri Clark, and Amazon Digital Ser
Beverly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Clark has written a very moving story involving many facets of love and friendship. Plus, there is a mystery to be solved!

You could feel how the hopes and dreams, the losses, and the love - of friends, both old and new - of families - of a community - and of lovers are intertwined and dependent on the behaviors of the characters.
cherry malcom
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stationmaster's cottage

I loved this book. I'm not big on romance novels but this one was wonderful. It was so easy to identify with the characters!
Judi Easley
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers who like romance with mystery, back & forth in time stories
Recommended to Judi by: Author's rep
My Disclaimer:

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book. I am voluntarily providing an honest review in which all opinions are fully my own. I am not being compensated in any way.

~ Judi E. Easley for Blue Cat Review

What it’s about…

Christie is a professional make-up artist just back from a big photo shoot. She lives with Derek.

Derek is a real estate developer with tickets to go on holiday to Lizard Island before Christie’s even unpacked. No problem, he’s packed for her. Let’s go!

But just a
Joan
This is one of those stories that time-hops between now and the past. It involved love letters, betrayal, family secrets etc etc.

i have to be honest. I didnt like Christie. I didnt really like any of the characters. Christie was engaged to Derek, a demanding bully who expected her to be at his beck and call. Fair enough - there needs to be one oafish lout in a story, but then Christie meets Martin (the love interest)

Martin was also an oaf. Rude, arrogant, obnoxious. But of course Christie falls
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Going Home (Chandler Hill Inn, #1)
  • The Beach Bar
  • All Because of You
  • Meant to Be
  • Coming to Rosemont
  • The Locket
  • The Color of a Promise (The Color of Heaven, #11)
  • Hanging On (Sisters in a Small Town, #2)
  • Chancey Jobs (Chancey #4)
  • Chances Are (The Pacific Bay, #1)
  • Waiting for Hope (The Laramie Series #2)
  • The Island Affair (Love on the Island, #1)
  • The Cottage at Hope Cove (Hope Cove #1)
  • Beneath a Glass Bridge
  • The Color of Love (Color of Heaven Series, #6)
  • Santa Lucia
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • What She Inherits
Phillipa lives just outside a beautiful town in country Victoria, Australia. She also lives in the many worlds of her imagination and stockpiles stories beside her laptop.

She adores mysteries of any kind and always manages to include a puzzle in every book. From the fifty year old mystery of lost love in The Stationmaster's Cottage - to the puzzling case of The Christmas Tree Thief - and a bizarre

River's End Mystery Romance (5 books)
  • Taming The Wind (River's End Mystery Romance #0.2)
  • Jasmine Sea (River's End Mystery Romance #2)
  • The Secrets of Palmerston House (River's End Mystery Romance #3)
  • The Christmas Key (River's End Mystery Romance #4)

News & Interviews

“some people, love meant more than sharing a home and a few interests. It was about an unrelenting passion and deep, abiding love for another that defied time and circumstance. True love was putting the other person’s needs above your own and being willing to see their perspective. Wanting to be with them no matter what the risks.” 0 likes
“We don’t get to choose who we fall in love with,” 0 likes