Start by marking “Come Sundown” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  27,120 ratings  ·  2,808 reviews
Listening length: 17 hours, 17 minsutes

The Bodine ranch and resort in western Montana is a family business, an idyllic spot for vacationers. A little over thirty thousand acres and home to four generations, it’s kept running by Bodine Longbow with the help of a large staff, including new hire Callen Skinner. There was another member of the family once: Bodine’s aunt,
Audible Audio, Unabridged audio (17 hours, 17 minutes)
Published May 30th 2017 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Come Sundown, please sign up.
Jeanne Nichols Mine was a GoodReads giveaway, so pure chance that I got one. But it's kinda cool to get an unexpected package in the mail with a book that you have…moreMine was a GoodReads giveaway, so pure chance that I got one. But it's kinda cool to get an unexpected package in the mail with a book that you have expressed interest in.(less)

·  27,120 ratings  ·  2,808 reviews

Start your review of Come Sundown
Julie
Come Sundown by Nora Roberts is a 2017 St. Martin’s Press publication.

I haven’t read a book written by Nora Roberts in several years. When this one cropped up on my radar, due to some pretty heavy marketing, I stopped to check out the synopsis and realized it was a romantic suspense novel, and it was not a part of a series, so I added it to the TBR pile.

For some reason, I have struggled with this review. I wrote down some thoughts, then scrapped them, at least three times.

I dawdled so long
Chelsea Humphrey
I finally popped my Nora Roberts cherry! :) I'm not sure why it's taken me so many years to pick up one of her books, but I'm sure glad I won this one, otherwise I may never have gotten around to reading it. Come Sundown is a perfect way to ease into her books; it's a standalone, so no worrying about committing to a series with 92 entries to date, and it is completely captivating with a fast pace alongside a dark, mysterious overtone. The thing that set this book apart from others of romantic ...more
CD {Boulder Blvd}

My reaction to this book is very mixed. On one hand I could be really immersed in the story line of Alice and on the other hand I would get really bored by the day to day minutia of running the Bodine Resort. Still sorting out my thoughts...

Even though it was dark, I really liked the story line of Alice and that's the part of the story that I was really pulled into.

The trilogy aspect of NR gets old but I did like each of the characters within the 3 couples. I agree with a couple of other readers
Jilly
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, dnf
I'm mostly writing this review to remind myself that I have tried to read this book twice now and keep putting it down. I need to give it up, man. It's not happening between me and this book.

Why? It's depressing, and then boring, and then depressing again. If I wanted to experience something like that, I would go bathing suit shopping, then toaster shopping, and then bathing suit shopping again. And, I don't want to do that. I really don't want to do that.

The struggle is real.

So, what do I mean?
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

I listened to this story without reading the book blurb and highly recommend doing it this way as I think too much is revealed in the setup. It's enough to know that this story involves the Bodine family of Western Montana, which includes four generations of women. The main character is Bodine Longbow, the youngest who runs the family's high-end resort. Her older brother runs the adjacent family ranch. Her childhood crush, Callen (Cal) Skinner returns back to
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
*Reviewed at Cross My Heart Writings and Reviews
**Many thanks to St. Martin's Press for an arc of this book.

Come Sundown is a powerful, compelling storyshowcasing the healing power of love and the amazing ability of the human soul and spiritto survive and recover from unimaginable, mind alteringpain and sadistic evil. It’s also the story of family doing what family does . . . loving unconditionally,making and cherishing memories, surviving loss and pain, building a future on hopes and dreams.
No Apology Book Reviews
This path has already been heavily tread

*sigh*

This is a Nora Roberts, so of course I bought and read it—or tried to. Many people I’m sure do the same, and that’s why Roberts can afford to toss out this kind of crap. Brand recognition is priceless in marketing.

Roberts wrote this story years ago, except it was titled Montana Sky, and it was so much better.

Let me tell you what happened the first quarter—or “part” as Roberts likes to section it unnecessarily. We jump back and forth from past to
Celeste
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review now posted!
This review and more can be found on Booknest.

For years, Nora Roberts has been my feel-good author. If I’m sick or depressed or just stressed, she’s my go-to fiction author. She’s my literary popcorn. Her books are a bubblebath for my brain. There’s something about her writing that just absorbs me from the first page, and her characters always feel like family. The work ethic of Nora Roberts astounds me. Every year, she puts out at least three (often four) new books. These
Wendy
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won an Advance Readers Copy of this book from the publisher, St. Martin's Press. Thank you!

Another wonderful Nora Roberts read! A suspenseful and intriguing saga involving twisted passions and based upon family ties.

Set in Montana on a ranch/resort owned by the Longbow/Bodine family this is the story of a family coming together to settle issues of the past and to protect their own when a madman is on the loose abducting women to become his wives.

In typical Nora Roberts fashion this romantic
Taryn Pierson
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-release, audio
Nora Roberts’ books are like cookies made with Grandma’s recipe: sweet, satisfying, and positively foolproof. There is no more surefire pick-me-up or slump buster. Her books sell like hotcakes because she knows how to give people what they want, and she somehow manages to crank out more than one a year. I guess it’s no wonder she’s so good, with that much practice under her belt.

Come Sundown is the perfect escapist read, set on a Montana ranch and resort owned by the kind of family you wish you
Suzanne
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So intriguing! It was a bit slow at first but once you warm up to the characters and the plot, you get pulled right into it. My grandmother gave me a ton of Danielle Steel and Nora Roberts books so I figured I would get to reading them this weekend. This was the first of the box I got so here's hoping I continue to like them as much as this one!

Overall, slow burn with some fiery characters, mystery, and action!
Sherri Thacker
I know I’m in the minority here but this book did not hold my interest. By 48% I should like it. I don’t care for either storyline and the one storyline is so disturbing, I just have to quit and move onto something else.
Kathryn
4.5 stars. All I can say is Nora Roberts does it again with Come Sundown. There is mystery and crime, strong women, a beautiful ranch and resort in Montana, family and friends, romance - all of which combine into making a downright good read.

Bodine - the heroine is a strong, feisty woman and boss, she runs the resort side of the family business really well. She comes from a strong line of women - there's Miss Fancy her great grandmother of 89 years, Cora her grandmother and Maureen her mother.
Corina
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Every year I'm waiting impatiently for the the standalone hardcover byNora Roberts. Every year the topic delves into something new and different. This author excels at researching new themes to such a depth that I finish the book with a sense of accomplishment and enrichment.

Some of these books have been all time favorite novels and have earned a spot on my keeper shelf, others have been wonderfully entertaining - but every single one of them stood out because of the authors impeccable writing
Fareya
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one thing I believe Nora Roberts is absolutely capable of, is keeping a person entertained with her storytelling ability. Be it a fantasy, hardcore romance or romantic suspense, this talented author sure knows how to keep the readers engaged. Come Sundown is another one of her captivating romantic suspense standalone that was fast paced and hard to put down.

It all starts in 1991 with twenty one year old Alice Bodine making her way back home to the family ranch in Montana after having run
BWT (Belen)
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A bit muddled with a lot of characters to keep track of, but little desire to do so, if I'm honest.

I was far more interested in the side story about the aunt, Alice, who had been taken over twenty years earlier, beaten, raped, and held against her will. I kept wanting to skip Bodine's story and get back to Alice.

All in all, for me, this wasn't one of Roberts' better stories. I don't see this getting a re-read at any point.
Anita
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) provided by the Author, Nora Roberts and Publisher, St. Martin's Press, in exchange for an fair and honest review.

I have always loved the romantic-suspense books by Nora Roberts and I don't expect anything but the best from "Come Sundown". With her new publisher, NR is finally getting the kind of treatment that the Queen of Romantic-Suspense deserves. St. Martin's Press is going all out to insure that this book has to best launch possible, something that was sadly
Susan

Nora Roberts

Thank you so much to St. Martins Press for my ARC........

It's been a long time since I read a Nora Roberts book. I have no excuses as to why, just too many books to read I suppose. Once I started COME SUNDOWN I was kicking myself for waiting so long to revisit one of my longtime favorite authors.

COME SUNDOWN is a stand alone which is rare nowadays so no long term commitment! The story starts in 1991. Alice Bodine ran away to Hollywood a few years ago and after a few
sue
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours
I have read Nora Roberts books before and enjoyed them.
I never find them too demanding but with the best concoction of spices to get your mouth watering to read more.

This one was with no exception.

We have back and forward events which are not difficult to keep abreast of.

Nora Roberts once again shows us the ability of human nature.
Love, patience and healing despite the hurt, pain and sadistic happenings.

This is told over four generations so quite an expanse of time.

It's a wonderfully
Whispering Stories
On a cold, snowy day in 1991 Alice Bodine decided to return home, after upping and leaving three years earlier. Making a decision between cutting across the wildness in the snow, or going the longer way round, Alice decided to stick to the road, which seemed like the safer option of the two. How wrong could Alice have been?

Back in present-day Montana, Bodine Longbow (Alice’s niece), is the manager of her family’s, four-generation run holiday ranch. She is hard-working and has little time for
Obsidian
What a weird book. Someone commented yesterday that this was like a Nora Roberts book if JD Robb wrote it, and it's true. Switching back and forth between a woman who was abducted, raped, and forced to give birth multiple times over with the romance portion of the book did not gel well with me at all. I also think this book was overly long (we get way too many descriptions about how to run a ranch, about horses, etc.) and I thought that the ending wasn't very well thought out in my opinion. It ...more
Terri Wino
3.75, but I'll round up to 4 stars.

I won an Advance Reader's Edition of this book from the publisher through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to both.

I have to be honest, this one took me a while to get into the story. I found the present day storyline a little plodding and the story that initially kept me reading were the small bits of flashbacks to Alice and what happens to her in the past.

But, somewhere along the way, I got pulled into the entire saga of this family and each character's
Mei
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I really like Ms. Roberts' style!

This book is hard to review because while the pace is slow and there're a lot of details about every day life, about managing the resort (and marginally the ranch), there's a lot of internal thoughts from all the characters, not only the main.

At the same time, the crime part is very difficult: the unraveling of a woman in the hands of a truly mad monsert! The worst part is that that unraveling lasts... 26 years!!! O_O

It was truly chilling to read that part and I
SB*needs low angst books*
Reading pause. I am having a hard time connecting to keep going and some parts were depressing. I will have to try again when my mind is better for this type of read.
Ashley Daviau
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Nora Roberts does not disappoint! I’ve always been a fan of her books but her most recent ones, this one included, really are on a whole other level than her earlier works. I love how she combines family histories with romance and crime and mysteries, it makes for such interesting and intriguing reads. I really loved the darker side of this one, it was both heartbreaking and beautiful and completely sucked me in!
Jenny
Come Sundown is about love, loyalty, family and friends. The Bodine Ranch Resort in Montana was large working rural restore run by the Bodine Family and managed by Bodine Longbow Granddaughter of the original owners. Callen Skinner came back to the ranch after many years away in California after his father died. However, when bodies began to turn up on the resort grounds, Callen and Bodine were reunited again to find the truth before more people die. The readers of Come Sundown will follow ...more
Olivia "So many books--so little time.""
Good story about two main women--one, Alice, is abducted by an evil man who frequently beats and rapes her. The second woman, Bodine, runs a ranch and resort in western Montana. I really liked this one.
Bj
I gave this audiobook a B+ for the story and A- for the narration at AudioGals.

Narrated by Elisabeth Rodgers

Lovers of romantic suspense and western-styled romances are the perfect audience for Come Sundown . Nora Roberts has been such a prolific writer for such a long time, and as Come Sundown proves, her ability to captivate an audience is still as strong as ever. Further enhancing the entertainment value of this audiobook is the talented narration by Elisabeth Rodgers which really helped
fleurette
I am a fan of Nora Roberts, so I’m not really objective when it comes to her books. Still, this one is not her best. It reminds me a lot of Montana Sky and some other unmemorable books from Roberts.

The story is not only repetitive but also pretty slow. The suspense part is not really developed or more precisely it is not truly incorporated into the main plot. The best part is Alice recovery. And this is probably the only part of the book that truly get my interest. The reset of it is just some

• Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
  • Seeing Red
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Dark in Death (In Death, #46)
  • Connections in Death (In Death, #48)
  • Tailspin
  • Leverage in Death (In Death, #47)
  • Wired (Buchanan-Renard, #13)
  • The Ultimatum (The Guardian, #1)
  • Outfox
  • Any Day Now (Sullivan's Crossing, #2)
  • Any Dream Will Do
  • The Girl Who Knew Too Much (Burning Cove, #1)
  • The Woman Left Behind (GO-Team, #2)
  • Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
  • Promise Not to Tell (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas #2)
  • Echoes in Death (In Death, #44)
  • The Right Time
“Mothers do, every day. It’s funny, Bo, how a woman can bring two children into the world, raise them up the same way—the same rules and values, indulgences and disciplines. And still two separate people come out of it all.” 6 likes
“There's just no love like the love of a mother for a child, no matter how that child comes into their life, and no loss or grief to match it.” 2 likes