Start by marking “We Were Promised Spotlights” as Want to Read:
We Were Promised Spotlights

We Were Promised Spotlights

The Miseducation of Cameron Post meets Everything Leads to You in this queer young adult novel.

Taylor Garland's good looks have earned her the admiration of everyone in her small town. She's homecoming queen, the life of every party, and she's on every boy's most-wanted list.

People think Taylor is living the dream, and assume she'll stay in town and have kids with the hom
Expected publication: March 24th 2020 by Putnam Children's

To ask other readers questions about We Were Promised Spotlights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Were Promised Spotlights

Iris
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely gay trash. It’s so cool to see how far YA has come since I was reading regularly. There was good discussions of sexuality, and then there was drinking and sex and STIs and cliques and everything you want in a highschool drama. Just wait till the prom scene and watch our girl go full disaster gay. Anyways, it was quick and fun, and honestly kinda felt like another character in Euphoria \_(ツ)_/

Mira Ptacin
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love every single thing Lindsay Sproul writes. In my opinion, she's the reincarnation of a modern-day Carson McCullers and I am thrilled that she will have more books coming out after this one. I love every sentence, and how strong and beautiful and rare her work is. Hooray for this book. I'm a superfan.
J M T
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK.

Too many LGBTQ books come from the point of view from an outcast, trying to fit into a heteronormative world. Taylor Garland is anything but an outcast. She’s popular, she’s pretty, and it’s an open secret that her father is probably a famous movie star.

On the surface Taylor is the hot bitch in high school. She’s THAT girl. However, the book is from her POV. And that is refreshing. She’s neurotic, deals with internalized homophobia, and Is completely uncomfortable in her own
Queer Reader
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG THIS BOOK!!!!! 😂😂😂

I’ve been looking for a narrator like Taylor for such a long time.

Though I wouldn’t call it a comedy by any means, this book and Taylor as a narrator both have biting humor, even in the face of difficult issues like homophobia, sexism, and the pressure put on girls and women about their bodies. Taylor is unlikable at first, but she’s so weird and insecure that ultimately I loved her. For once, the “popular bitch” is multidimensional. This barely happens in straight romance
Anne
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd had this book when I was a teen navigating all the cliques at school at the same time I was coming to terms with being queer. My high school career occurred around the same time (1999/2000), so We Were Promised Spotlights was particularly relatable for me.

Taylor is a product of her surroundings, her upbringing, her class, and for the majority of the book, she's only doing what she knows, what she's been taught. Being a mean popular girl is the only way she knows how to survive. In a
Ashley
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel is refreshing in several ways, and it’s also honest and brave. It follows the narrator, a seemingly unlikable popular mean girl (who I ultimately found hilarious, vulnerable and sympathetic), on her coming out journey, which is unlike any other I’ve seen before.

Yes, it’s full of homophobia, fatphobia and other triggering content, but... those things exist!!! Sadly, while this novel is historical, the homophobia portrayed (both internal and external) were prominent during the late 90s
mahana (moved accounts)
content warnings: uncontested fatphobia, lesbophobia, lesbophobic bullying, internalised homophobia, repeated use of the d slur and other homophobic slurs

Currently sitting between a 2 or 3 star rating. Review to come!
Jessica | Booked J
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

First things first: if you're looking for teenagers who act like teenagers, you'll likely appreciate this one! We Were Promised Spotlights accurately portrays a specific lifestyle of one category of teenagers of the era it's set in. At times, its characters can be unlikable and cring
Maddie
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advanced copy in exchange for this review.

I am in love with this book!!! The ending is feminist AF. It was not what I expected to happen, and I love seeing girls choose to save themselves rather than let a man “rescue” them.

Taylor’s coming out story was unique and funny. I recommend this book to anyone looking for an awesome f/f romance.
Alice In Wonderbook
Aug 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was provided with an e-ARC of this book through Edelweiss+, so thank you so much to them and the publisher for giving me the chance to read We Were Promised Spotilights in advance.
All opinions are my own and are not influenced in anyway by the means by which I got the book.

Yet another one star rating from me. And I think I am being generous.

Starting from the beginning. One of my first problems with We Were Promised Starlights was that it was marketed
as a contemporary, which it wasn’t (it tak
Sahar
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Please note that this is from an ARC, and any quotes I’ve included are from the uncorrected text.

I have a lot of thoughts about this book. Firstly, it is a historical book, but it wasn’t (at least to me) immediately clear that it was a historical book (it takes place mainly during 1999-2000). I think, honestly, this is a commentary on how homophobic society still is. This book really didn’t read as very dated to me.

Taylor Garland is the main character, and she isn’t very likable. That’s not nec
Ashley
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy in exchange for this review.

This book is refreshing. It takes a seemingly unlikable character (who I ultimately found hilarious and real and sympathetic), and the result is a coming out story that’s different from any other I’ve seen before.

Yes, there’s a ton of homophobia in this book, and while it made me uncomfortable at times, it feels important to show that the world was like this in the late 90s/early 2000s, and in many places, still is. So many of us still fa
Emily
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It really irritates me when I read a historical fiction novel that was advertised as a contemporary fiction novel. This book takes place in 1999; that was 20 YEARS AGO. Baseline: if it takes place before your audience was born, IT'S HISTORICAL.

Anyway. I don't know why I was expecting this to be funnier. It was pretty depressing in a very real way. Very engaging but just made me sad.
Sam
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a fan of Skins or Euphoria, this book is for you! Super realistic f/f romance... unexpected ending... beautiful writing.
Lorraine