Start by marking “O Cortiço” as Want to Read:
O Cortiço

O Cortiço

Se O Cortiço é dos romances mais contundentes da literatura brasileira, este volume possui atributos que o convertem na melhor edição do clássico de Aluísio Azevedo. Além de texto estabelecido conforme a última edição em vida do autor, contém iconografia histórica e notas de rodapé por Leila Guenther. O ensaio de apresentação foi escrito por Paulo Franchetti, que, ...more
Published 2012 by Ateliê Editorial

To ask other readers questions about O Cortiço, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Cortiço

Start your review of O Cortiço
Ferris
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novel, "The Slum" provides a 19th century glimpse of Brazilian society via the misadventures of the founder and residents of a slum. Somehow Azevedo is able to convey a myriad of social tensions across multiple levels and he does so with incredible vividness, wonderful prose, and memorable characters. The reader is immersed in the tension between Portuguese immigrants and Brazilians, between mulattoes and blacks, between men and women, between upper and lower classes resulting in a rather ...more
Amanda Alexandre
So do you want to read a book that defines Naturalism better than the books that created Naturalism themselves?

Then read this.
Andre
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning I thought the main character would be João Ramão, but I soon realized there is no main character in this novel; each and every character is just as important and just as insignificant as the other in this cortiço, which is a perfect metaphor for that era's society. We get to know some people, get deeply involved in their personal lives, their loves, their suffering, their problems, their joy and sorrow, but they might simply die or cease to exist inside the cortiço's walls, but ...more
Dusty
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dusty by: Sonia Roncador
Shelves: read-in-2010
If O Cortiço, which translated into English is closer to "the tenement" than "the slum", as it appears in this Library of Latin America edition, were set in the United States, it would look something like Gangs of New York. Set in Río de Janeiro's Botafogo neighborhood, the book chronicles the rise and fall of a multiethnic tenement community -- and its eventual transformation into a bourgie suburb.

Its story revolves around that community's three prominent white Portuguese men: (1) João Romão,
Beth
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Slum is a poignant portrayal of Brazilian life in the late 19th century. Issues related to ethnicity, social class and women’s role comprise the key elements in this impassioned novel by Aluisio Azevedo. Azevedo uses his characters to reveal how people are changed by their social position, environment and race relations. Men step on one another, discard women and disregard blacks as they move up the social ladder. Portraits of married women are dim. Portraits of black women fare worse. ...more
Bob Newman
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sex, Lies and Rio-scape

I've been a fan of Brazilian literature for a long time, but had never heard of THE SLUM until 2016. It is definitely under the radar in the USA but it's a really rich novel. First of all, it grants the reader a look at Brazilian (or at least Rio de Janeiro) society in the 19th century. At that time, Machado de Assis wrote of more refined, delicate circles, Euclides da Cunha wrote specifically of a certain 19th century historical incident. Azevedo focuses instead mostly on
Vinicius
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite starting a little slow (it took me a while to get into the story and get the 'rhythm'), I really enjoyed the book.
Besides being a very complete book - there is romance, comedy, drama, blood, sex and a lot more -, one of the most remarkable points is that as the story develops itself, the slum grows, the characters grow, the plots grow in complexity... The book, ultimately, gets a lot better each new page.

It's worth highlighting the author's ability to write, flawlessly, the many kinds of
Gustavo Barbosa Ferreira
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This novel is considered the main achievement of Brazilian naturalism, and it is certainly one of the most important works of XIX century Latin American literature. With a hard, crude language, Aluísio Azevedo describes in a deeply rich structure the lives of a handful of characters, giving each one of them a complex presonality, and using the circumstances to discuss some of the most polemic topics generally approached by naturalist authors.
Deyse
I ended up enjoying this one more than I thought I would, for my studies of it I expected to be grossed out and bored but while reading it I felt more pleased to see all the undertones of criticism, the awareness of the Brazilian society of 1890's and their types and tropes. Still not a fan of the Naturalism current, but it was better than I thought at first.
rachelm
Beautiful novel about a slum in late 19th century Rio de Janeiro, a precursor to a modern favela. The naturalist style is reminiscent of Zola, and the portrayal of class divisions and the multicultural society felt relevant to what I saw of modern Brazil.
Lynne Marrs
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful read as part of our Bullmoose Bookclub. The Slum was my first initiation into Azevedo and Brazilian literature. Its Latin tone and temperment combined with the very familiar "zolaesque" quality made this a pleasure to read.
Nicolle Varella
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is a very important Brazilian book. Actually it's the most famous book on Naturalism in Brazil. It was nice to read something a little bit different from the Romantic novels to School!
Lee Underwood
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Although written in the Late 19th century, it is so ahead of its time.
Brenda
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
very important for the brazilian literature, but not my cup of tea
Pauline
It is a story of greed but probably in a way that you havent read it before, I would recommend it to everyone, it is a great book!
Nicolas
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ...more
Mychelle Vincent
I took an interest to classic Brazilian writing because my husband is Brazilian and in order to get a deeper understanding of the history and culture of any country, you can learn a lot from their literature. I read O Cortiço / The Slum because it is listed as one of the most important and famous Brazilian novels.
My husband also read this for the first time along with me. It isn't very long so it's easy to pick up. The first half of the book is slow and boring albeit descriptive, providing
Ruth
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a enjoying a juicy chunk of gossip or playing the voyeur with a window into a neighborhood. The characters are many and I needed to write them down to keep track of them. The author paints a noisy and colorful world full of life. Motives are passionate and animalian and perhaps that's what keeps the writing accessible after all these years. Despite our technological advances we remain human animals in our core. Although the characters were often despicable, one feels the author ...more
Vitor Leonardo
"O cortiço" is a classic of brazilian literature. The story takes place in Rio de Janeiro, If I am not mistaken, end of 19th century. it narrates the lives of humble people who live in a poor village owned by a portuguese merchant who do not miss an opportunity to make money out of them and who enriches doing that. It is about the lives of those people (joy, injustices, miserable fate...), their culture, way of life, the interaction between brazilian and portuguese culture...
I recommend this
Hilton Neves
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those days idioms, the Portuguese habits and the fact that even the poor people on those days spoke very well our language are things that have me immensely fascinated. And in the act of wandering on through O Cortiço's pages, the reader feels an increasing feeling of resemblance to Zola's sharp view on the world and style in Germinal.
Melq
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brazilian Literature, Great Novel from the early years of the twenty century in Rio de Janeiro, capital of the Brazilian Monarchy. It depicts the daily life of one big Slum where poor people/workers and 'bon vivant' arriving in the capital used to be. Probably a great way to understand the actual favelas in Brazil - I did a new reading of the book in January 2018, great start of the year.
Monica
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Azevedo's prose paints images in the reader's minds of the sights and sounds of The Slum with great skill -- I understand why this is a literary classic.
The setting/title, and all that derive from it, though real in that time and place; indeed, in any time, and any setting where people struggle to eek out an exist with what life has put in front of them, is rich in heart, soul and metaphor.
CATHERINE J
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: brasilophiles
This was a wonderful supplement to my Brazilian colonial history and modern Brazilian literature courses from years ago. The character relationships were handled so perfectly and the brand of racial tension unique to Brazil is captured masterfully. I would like to get my hands on a Portuguese edition.
Seth
Aug 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical Brazil...the people and the slum. Love, money, sex, poverty, class ambitions, immigrants, landlords, hardships, power, and lack thereof, etc... Poetic, colorful and painful...and supposedly extremely accurate in its naturalistic depictions.
Jovan
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here in Serbia, it is translated as "Love in Rio", exellecent trick by the publisher. However although there isn‚t any love here I didn‚t regret it. I enjoy reading books from every corner of the planet.
Ana Silva
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parts-of-me
i never thought i'd like a classic book so much.
thank you, donatti. (my teacher) for have showed me such a brilliant art.
*Se um dia você ver isso, saiba que O cortiço, para mim, sempre valerá mais do que mil exemplares de Memórias Póstumas...
Nícolas Capa
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had low expectations for this one but I am surprised it was actually interesting, especially for people who are studying or have studied about naturalism in literature, you can really see the characteristics of this period in the book.
Maria
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
It was good, but it's not what i like
Gabriela Freitas
Read for the first time either in 2013 or 2014.
Reread in 2018.
Rob
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book, in which the story depicts interesting characteristics of the Brazilian life back inthe 19th century. For those who can read in Portuguese, that's a very good option.
Goodreads Librari...: The same book registered five times 5 18 Apr 22, 2017 03:58PM
The Armchair Trav...: * The Slum * discussion 9 15 Apr 25, 2016 01:25AM

• Capitães da Areia
  • Mayombe
  • Senhora
  • Quincas Borba
  • The Diary of "Helena Morley"
  • O Triste Fim de Policarpo Quaresma
  • Claro Enigma
  • Macunaíma
  • Sagarana
  • O Alienista
  • Angústia
  • Sentimento do Mundo
  • Auto da Compadecida
Era filho do português David Gonçalves de Azevedo e de Emília Amália Pinto de Magalhães. Seu pai era viúvo e a mãe era separada do marido, algo que configurava grande escândalo na sociedade da época. Foi irmão do dramaturgo e jornalista Artur Azevedo.

Desde cedo dedicou-se ao desenho através de caricaturas e à pintura. Em 1876 viaja ao Rio de Janeiro, a fim de estudar Belas Artes, obtendo desde
“[...] honestidade sem mérito, porque vinha da indolência do seu temperamento e não do arbítrio do seu caráter.” 6 likes
“E naquela terra encharcada e fumegante, naquela umidade quente e lodosa, começou a minhocar, a esfervilhar, a crescer, um mundo, uma coisa viva, uma geração, que parecia brotar espontânea, ali mesmo, daquele lameiro, e multiplicar-se como larvas no esterco.” 1 likes