Start by marking “Heart of the Steal” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Steal

Heart of the Steal

Responsible, disciplined William Fox channeled his love for art and his faith in the rules into being an FBI Art Crimes agent. Right and wrong, justice and injustice—the differences are clear, and Will has spent his career drawing a line between them. Maybe his convictions have cost him relationships, but he’s not willing to compromise what he knows is right. Until the nig ...more
Published July 11th 2017 by Philtre Press

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Steal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the Steal

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
4 STARS

I wanted to overwhelm him, take him out of himself and everything he recognized and give him a mirror that would reflect him back to himself the way I saw him. Beautiful, brave, and scared.

This book was nothing like I normally gravitate to. It has zero angst. It's not twisty and unpredictable. And it also doesn't have hot man abs on the cover. What? Don't you judge me.class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Virginia Cavanillas
Jul 17, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: lgtb, my-rambles
DNF at 35%. No rating.

I'm not used to quit. I really hate to give up on books, but with this one the eye rolling and the angry sighing was so spectacular, I couldn't do it.
Of course, this is my personal opinion and it's totally based in my tastes and perception of this book. Mine. There are some great ratings and reviews probing me wrong. So, please, read this ramble knowing your opinion could be the opposite to this humble one.

So, that said... i couldn't read past that 35%. I couldn't go on with this s
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

1/9/19 - UPDATE! I'm changing my rating from 4.5 stars to 5 STARS. This book was EVEN BETTER the second time around. And I can now confidently say that Amory Vaughn is one of my top favorite characters ever!!

1/3/19 - Woke up this morning thinking about Amory Vaughn. So I guess a re-read is in order....good thing I purchased the audiobook for just this very thing!

****************************************

***4.5 Stars***

"Stealing your heart feels like the greatest theft I have ever perpetrated."

One of my favorite reads of 2017!

I don't even know what to say about thStars***
****************************************
***4.5
Wendy
It actually pains me that I have to say, that this isn't one of my favorits by these authors. Maybe my expectation were a bit too high...since I have seriously loved every single book I have read by them.

635860061984474737-1433081324_finals gif 6.gif (357×200)

First of all, it was really hard for me to get into the story.  I just couldn't seem connect to the MC's. Nothing about them pulled me in....

I think o
Ele
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
-4.5 stars-
"I loved William Fox like the rip of lightning through a sky I thought would always be dark. Like a shout echoed back to me from a great depth, rounded by distance and time, but still recognizable. Yes, like the most perfect of perfect thefts. The ones I would never admit to, never acknowledge. The ones where something called to me where before there was only silence and emptiness and here, here, here was the thing that would shine on it with beauty."

Because English is not my mother tongue, I'mstars-
Lyn
Audio – 5+++ stars Iggy Toma and Kirt Graves are an amazing narrating team
Story – 4.25 stars

FBI Agent meets a rich Art thief. Don’t expect this to be a crime drama themed story. This is more of an opposites attract than an enemies to lovers story, and it’s very relationship focused. I’ll admit that I’ve avoided this book because I thought it would bore me. I’m glad I decided to give it a chance, because I ended up loving it. It was sweet, funny and romantic. There’s some push/p
Diana
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

Honestly, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read Heart of Steal because I was not in the mood to read about an art thief, but I am so glad I did. The amazing writing sucked me into the story and it definitely was not what I expected.

William Fox works for the FBI’s Art Crimes Division. He enjoys art, which makes him good at his job. While at a party that his sister Charlie, a party planner, is working, he notices the gorgeous philanthropist, Amory Vaughn, who is a billionaire that is
Ami
Jul 15, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNF at 43%

I tried, I really did. But I guess it was a combination of

* Missed expectations -- I want thrill, suspense, SEDUCTION that doesn't necessarily translated to numerous sex scenes right of the bat *hmph*
* PURPLISH prose that dragged the story down (I figured it was probably due to my lack of chemistry towards one of the authors in this writing duo, because I seriously love the other author)
* Lack of badass-ery from the FBI agent, while the rich guy acted like, I dunno, a wannabe ma
Jewel
3.5 Stars

I can't really pinpoint why, but I struggled with Heart of Steal, just a bit. The writing was good and I liked the MC's, but it took me a good third of the book for them to really click with me. After that, things did get better (and damn, was that the hottest picnic I've read about), but still it took me three times as long to read as it should have. It's a good story, though, and definitely well written. I just can't quite put my finger on what it is that I wasn't connecting wit
Renée
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
~3.75 stars~

It took me a while to get into this story. It wasn't that the writing wasn't great - it was. It wasn't that the story wasn't interesting - it was. What wasn't happening, for me, was connecting with either MC.

The story begins with you thinking it's going to be a play on The Thomas Crown Affair. And that just isn't my thing. Then there's the cover. Holy Mary, Mother of God, and all that is holy - that is one helluva cover fail. Cringe. And Amory Vaughn, one of the MCs, has a long, silver braid. I'm th
BWT (Belen)
Heart of the Steal is an opposites attract romance that's fast paced, humorous, and completely entertaining.

Told from both FBI agent William Fox and Philanthropist and part-time art thief Amory Vaughn's perspective the reader gets a glimpse into how different, and yet similar, both men are.

While Will is buttoned up and pretty rigid in his own way, I loved how his attraction and feelings for Vaughn mean breaking his own rules.

Vaughn is someone who doesn't always think rules apply to him, and stealing has provided a
Lada
Jun 21, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: not-for-me
DNF at 33%.

The blurb reminded me of M. Chandler's The Morning Star, which I loved, so I guess I had too high expectations from this book.

I'm somewhat familiar with Avon Gale's writing after reading most of her books, but I couldn't see her clean, direct, smooth writing here. Each PoV was similar; long, purple prose that weighted the narrative down.

The MCs were older men, but they acted like immature ones. Blow job at first meeting in someone's gallery? Another blow job at second meeting
Ky
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, read-2017
Saddly, I can't say that I enjoyed this book.

My main issue was that I couldn't connect with the characters. I didn't even like one of them. My friend Vir had an issue with Will. Mine was with Amory. He was arrogant, self-centered and a snob. He was very wealthy and used to nice and expensive things so I could understand him having some limits. But when the chapter was told by his point of view he criticized everything and everyone. He was so sarcastic and dismissal that I couldn't wa
Allison
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, audio, 2018
Update for audio.

I loved this! It did take a bit to get started, but once it got there it was wonderful. I do think that the blurb may give the wrong impression. This is a quiet book about two men with very different views of life finding their way to understanding each other. Perhaps the blurb creates an expectation of *art theft* and *chasing bad guys* and other such things, but there is very little of that at all, and that is great.
I would definitely re-read, when I'm in the
Elle aka Leftie aka Shoebelle
*ARC received via A Novel Take PR as part of blog tour*

4.5 ★

Well, well, is this delightful or what!

I've been a fan of Avon since the start of her Scoring Chances series and I'm a new fan of Roan. So to read this was a real treat

Here we have Amory, a trust fund baby with a heart of gold. He's also an art thief. William is an FBI agent for the Art Crime Division. Put them together and you get one scrumptious mix.

You get a bit otour*
4.5
Chris
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
That was a sweet read - the clash of values and the connection of hearts ❤ ...more
Catherine
*** 3.5 Stars ***

I liked this one in the moment, but ultimately it wasn't enough of any one thing for me to think that it'll be all that memorable in the long run.

Both authors individually have produced MUCH better stories, but I would totally be willing to read another by this duo.
River
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
The thing about this book is, it's not bad but it's not amazing and I guess I expected more from this collaboration.

I enjoyed the book, it's good afternoon read but it's nothing over the top good.

There were things that I liked, there were things that I didn't particularly loved. So yeah. OK book.
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
Review also posted on From Top to Bottom Reviews.

I've read this book in various stages of its life; back from when it was an "Avon-only" story to what it is now. With each transformation it went through, it just got better and better.

Will follows the rules to a point - except for when it comes to Vaughn - and he's rather shy and quiet, though he can be very resolute and forward as well, if needed. He also has a deep sense of justice. Will doesn't just do his job because it's an obli
BR11
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was good. I really liked Avon and Roan's cooperation in this book.
There was some steamy sexy times and the story line was strong.
I enjoyed this book and I'll definitely check out whatever these two authors come up with in the future.
Recommend.
Adam

The premise of this book sounded great - an FBI agent and an art thief find love. Unfortunately, I had a lot of trouble getting into the story.

William and Amory are polar opposites. William’s reserved, introverted, and lives and breathes by the rules. Amory was born into luxury, is outgoing, and doesn’t believe the rules apply to him.

Though they find it hard to keep their hands off of each other, their different backgrounds lead to the two clashing often.

My disconnect with William and Amory started early on, with the theft o
Ulysses Dietz
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a sexy, subversive story. William Fox is a 34-year-old FBI agent who specializes in art crimes. Imagine, an FBI agent who majored in art history (and thereby pissed off his policeman father)! His twin sister Charlotte has built her own party planning business, born from a love of tinkering in the kitchen with her twin brother. One evening, at a fancy party organized by his sister, Will meets Amory Vaughn, forty-two, the six-foot-something scion of a hugely rich Virginia family. Amory wears ...more
Caz
I've given this an A for narration and a B for content at AudioGals, so that's 4.5 stars

Heart of the Steal is the first (and so far, only) collaboration between popular m/m romance authors Avon Gale and Roan Parrish. I confess that I haven’t yet read or listened to anything by either author, but this sounded interesting, and when it popped up at Audible with the names of two experienced narrators attached, I decided to give it a whirl. The synopsis led me to think the story would be some sort of light-hear/>Heart
Kaje Harper
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light, m-m
This is a light, relationship-based book with some wit, some good banter and interactions, and two characters learning that an important part of a relationship is compromise. The cover felt a little at odds with the story - my first impression was historical rom-com (I don't read blurbs for auto-buy authors), when in fact this is a warm, witty but not comedic contemporary.

I enjoyed the interactions, even if it begins with a premise I'm sometimes impatient with - that sexual attraction can be so
Didi
3.5 Stars

The introduction gambit to the author's collaboration series had a strait-laced FBI agent being wooed by an older, wealthy, and somewhat gray character. Now I'm new to Avon Gale and Roan Parrish's books so it's safe to say that I absolutely had no idea what to expect from this book, except the enemies-to-lovers and opposites attract that hinted from the blurb.

I'm gonna be upfront and admitting I'm not much fond of too many steamy scenes; so encountering one so close on the st
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

The two MCs here are almost complete opposites in their upbringing and outlook. Amory Vaughn is a snob. He grew up the only child in a rich family and likes the finer things in life. He likes to be able to control things. William Fox grew up middle class with a twin sister and is an FBI Agent in the Art Crimes department. Amory sees the world in shades of gray while William sees things black and white.

The one thing Amory can’t buy is the happy ever after. He wants to share a life
Trio
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s so much fun to read a collaborative work of two authors whose writing I enjoy! Heart of the Steal by Avon Gale and Roan Parrish and had me laughing and smiling throughout.

The blended style these two created was distinctly unlike anything I’ve read by them individually.
Heart of the Steal isn’t as snarky as Gale’s Scoring Changes series (which I missed) and I think maybe Parrish kept it more on the straight and narrow… together it works!

I loved the sections of the sto
RentasticReads
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
This is the first time I've read anything from both Avon Gale and Roan Parrish, and I'm glad that I'm discovering more and more authors who write M/M romances. I truly enjoy the range of variety and the difference in pacing of each book. Heart of the Steal is more of the mellow, feel good kind, yet still has those scorching scenes in between. It also has the perfect bouts of laughter it'll draw from you all throughout and those adorable segments or lines where you just won't be able to stop saying, " ...more
ttg
Jan 07, 2019 added it
DNF @ 70%

I know it's weird to stop this late, but I have about 2 and a half hours left on this audiobook, and don't have the mental wherewithal to finish.

What I liked: The narrators were great.

What was harder: This may be a Me-Not-You situation. I'm not a fan of straight-up contemporary romances, mostly because I'm not a fan of what conflict comes up in them. (Often relationship, family, or communication-based.) I prefer more genre-y plotty stories like myster
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• House of Cards (Porthkennack, #4)
  • Two Man Station (Emergency Services, #1)
  • Snakes Among Sweet Flowers
  • Citywide (Five Boroughs, #6)
  • Pisces Hooks Taurus (Signs of Love, #4)
  • First Contact
  • Bitter Legacy (Bitter Legacy, #1)
  • Antisocial
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Enemies like You  (Enemies with Benefits #1)
  • When the Devil Drives (Death and the Devil, #1.6)
  • Hush
  • One Under (Porthkennack, #9)
  • A Gathering Storm (Porthkennack, #2)
Avon Gale lives in a liberal Midwestern college town, where she spends her days getting heavily invested in everything from craft projects to video games. She likes road trips by car, rock concerts, thunderstorms, IPAs, Kentucky bourbon and tattoos. As a queer author, Avon is committed to providing happy endings for all and loves to tell stories that focus on found families, strong and open commun ...more
“The memory of Vaughn on his knees, his mouth on my cock, assailed me. I searched wildly for something to say that wasn’t in relation to cocksucking and said, “That he looked like Lucius Malfoy.” 0 likes
“I can’t have you here,” he said. “I can’t…it’s Thanksgiving, and my family, and—I need you to go because I can’t deal with this here.” 0 likes