Start by marking “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

(Star Wars: Novelizations #1)

1st edition 1st printing hardcover, fine book in fine (as new) unclipped dw, In stock shipped from our UK warehouse
Published May 4th 1999 by Century (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.
Carlos In legends its the pre old republic era book "Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void" by Tim Lebbon, which takes place at 25.793 bby.
In canon it’s the…more
In canon it’s the phantom menace, but only were its aligns with the films. The first two chapters aren’t cannon for example.
The first true novel that is completely canon is "Leia: Princess of Alderaan" by Claudia Gray.

(less)
Julie The one by Patricia Wrede is the junior novelization. The one by Terry Brooks is for older readers.

Alejandro
Here come the prequels!

JEDI AND SITH MEET AGAIN!

During the Original Trilogy of Star Wars, we find out a detail here and another there, about what happened to the Republic and the rise of the Empire.

Of course, those little details, matter not much, since after all, good ol’ Georgie wrote what he wanted in the prequels, not matter if they were contradictory with the previous released information in the original trilogy.

For thousand years, peace had prevailed in the galaxy and the Republic was
Ron
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars die hards
Recommended to Ron by: Wendell Andrea
This is the first time I've read a book written "based on" a movie. Not a bad effort. In some ways better than the movie because the reader is taken inside the point-of-view characters. Terry Brooks, of course, is an accomplished author and did not hurt his reputation with this novel.

One major shortcoming of both book and movie (and therefore probably Lucas', rather than Brook's, fault) came into clearer focus in the book. No one recognized Padme as Amidala until she reveals herself. Not Anakin,
Crystal Starr Light
"The opinions of others whether you agree with them or not are something you have to learn to tolerate"
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, two Jedi knights (well, one is a Master, the other his Padawan, but who's counting?), are surreptitiously sent to Naboo to negotiate a treaty to put an end to the blockade the Trade Federation has on the planet. But negotiations are short when the Neimoidians try to kill them and now the Jedi try to get Queen Amidala, ruler of Naboo, to Coruscant, to spur the Republic into
Bettie☯
Description: A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, an evil legacy long believed dead is stirring. Now the dark side of the Force threatens to overwhelm the light, and only an ancient Jedi prophecy stands between hope and doom for the entire galaxy.

On the green, unspoiled world of Naboo, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, arrive to protect the realm’s young queen as she seeks a diplomatic solution to end the siege of her planet by Trade Federation warships. At the s
Kevis Hendrickson
Although it isn't going to set yor pants on fire, the novelization of The Phantom Menace is actually quite a good book. One of the reasons why many people disliked the film version of The Phantom Menace is because the film didn't focus on its main character, Anakin Skywalker, who would one day become the future Lord of the Sith, Darth Vader. In the book, however, the story hones in on Anakin, and explores his life as a slave, laying down the narrative foundation for us to understand why Anakin b ...more
Bram
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to play the ultimate nerd contrarian and admit that I love this movie and novelization. It's probably just heavy nostalgia for one of my last pre-puberty summers, but I'm ok with that.
Michael
Jul 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7 year olds with no life
There's an interesting re-edit of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace out there, called The Phantom Edit. It's one person's edit of the original movie, with as much of the moronic Jar-Jar, annoying Anakin, and redundant storyline removed as possible. It's an improvement, though the movie still falls far short of the original trilogy.

Unfortunately, this book goes in the opposite direction. The author expounds on both the Jar-Jar and the Anakin idiocy, often taking it to extremes (for example,
Nienke
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
“In this life you're often born one thing and die another. You don't have to accept that what you're given when you come in is all you'll have when you leave.”

With this being said by an old pilot, we witness Anakin's change of life right before our eyes. From being a slave on a desert planet he becomes a new Padawan-learner at the age of nine. Which is, in terms of the Council, old, but destined to be the Chosen One, the Council accepts him. Therefore, he should be the one to bring balance to
Anthony
Considering this is based on a movie that has some pretty bad dialogue and some serious pacing issues, it isn't actually that bad of a read. It's a pretty quick read, which is also good because nothing feels too drawn out, and it also lets you into the characters heads a bit more.
Rachel Dunning
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of action. A fun read. I've never seen the first movie.
Venice Somerhalder
I read this first before I watched the movie and I gotta say, I did the right thing. :)
Allison ☾
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was 100% more satisfying to me than watching the movie. Padme was a much stronger character, Anakin was more inspiring, Obi Wan was more interesting and Qui Gon was more complex. The whole thing was great.

The Jedi Knights were peacemakers; that was the nature of their order and the dictate of their creed. For thousands of years they had served the Republic, a constant source of stability and order in a changing universe.

photo F0795C3A-B2A3-416C-A607-C84CE1428A65_zpszm9bzci0.gif

She was young, but it was rumored she was prodigiously talented
Tiara
2.5 stars. Filled bits of the movie out some, but still suffers from being The Phantom Menace.
Benjamin Stahl
A Heartbreak Hipster Review

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ...
I was a shy, meek, slightly confused nine-year-old virgin. It was all a very long time ago ... "but only if you measure it in years".
Pokémon cards were the primary source of one's superiority; sharing a bedroom with a bunch of other boys was not yet an eyebrow-raiser; the prospect of working through the holidays was little more than a sick joke; and 'Star Wars: The Phantom Menace' was the greatest movie of all time.
Iset
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Let us cover the skill and style of writing in question first, before we come to my quibbles over certain plot elements which were, to be fair, mostly Lucas’ fault and nothing to do with the author of this book who has only faithfully followed Lucas’ vision. Obviously any author who is writing the novelisation of a film is under pressure to produce something that is not just an exact replica word for word of the lines in the script. It is very obvious that this has been a major consideration of ...more
Brandt
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fiction, star-wars
This is a pretty solid adaptation from Terry Brooks who is most known for his Shannara novels. These sorts of adaptations can be insights as to how the eventual movie gets made. For instance, did George Lucas really intend to start The Phantom Menace off with a pod race? That's how Brooks presents it to us, and while it does work in the novel, it probably would have vilified The Phantom Menace for Star Wars fans more so than it already is. (It's honestly not that bad of a movie folks--it's no At ...more
Jenna
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars-nerd
About as good as its source material, which is not saying much. I found myself bored through most of this. The parts in the movie that don't really further the plot (eg pod race, space battle at the end) are at least pretty to look at on screen; that doesn't translate well to words on a page. And the changes from the film dialogue generally make it more awkward and unbelievable (Anakin's repeated announcement about his future with Padme, for example).

The Darth Plagueius book did a good job of fl
C.
May 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This book, to me, was mostly a pointless rehash of a mediocre (at best) movie, but without the impressive special effects that made the movie worth seeing...once.

I read this only because my sister claimed it would would make me like Jar-Jar, or at least empathize with him. It did not. I would rather the Jedis had to carry around a bucket of feces than have Jar-Jar tag along with them. It would have been funnier than Jar-Jar's so called catch-phrase spouting comic relief, and it would have been o
Lizzie Twachtman
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I really enjoyed this book! It's a great edition to the Star Wars expanded universe, both new and Legends. Though I could have used less Gungans...always less Gungans!

You get a lot more from Anakin than you do in the movie which helps to add to his ultimate journey to the Dark Side. His relationship with Padme seems far less creepy and more intentional.

And the tension between Yoda and Qui-Gonn was really palpable in the book, while it's only sort of hinted at in the movie.

All in all, I really
ade_reads
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Love the book and the movie. And this book is basically the same as the film, except greatly expanded. And, of course, the book allows us to get into the heads of the characters and find out what they are thinking. The best thing about the novelization is the added scenes, the scenes cut from the film, and the background information.
Jill booksandescape
Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace by Terry Brooks is the novelization of the movie of the same name. Episode I is my favorite of the saga, and I really loved how this book brought even more scenes and dialogue into the story. I recommend that any Star Wars fan read the novelizations of the films as well.
Sandra
Jan 06, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
my boyfriend is the biggest Star Wars nerd I know, so I have to keep my shit up.
Vanessa
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
My verdict: The movie < This book < What another author could have done with the story.

The Phantom Menace is probably my least favorite Star Wars movie. That doesn't mean there aren't things I enjoy about it (the aesthetic, some of the characters), but it's really hard to deny that there were probably more bad/mediocre things about it than good.
Like lots of other people I was rather let down by it, which luckily wasn't the feeling I had after I had finished this book. Low expectations and
Lola
After seeing the Star Wars movies for the first time last year I decided I wanted to read the books of the prequel series as well and bought the omnibus edition with the three prequel books. I finally got around to reading the first book and it's a great way to revisit the story and experience it in a different way. I think this is the first time I read a book after I've seen the movie. It was an interesting experience, instead of visualizing the characters myself I saw the actors and landscapes ...more
Corey Campbell
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m in the camp that really loves Star Wars (but you knew that), and I’m always genuinely thrilled at any new expansion of the most famous Galaxy Far, Far Away. The Phantom Menace has always been a point of contention for the fan base and for myself. It’s subtle (I know many will disagree with me on this), and has a far more nuanced approach to Star Wars than any of its predecessors had.

That being said, the film doesn’t always show those nuances well- often leaving things better said, unsaid; ha
Amalia Dillin
Feb 05, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Never
Shelves: got-it
So. I don't think the blame for the awfulness of this book rests at all on Mr. Brooks' shoulders. Let's just make that clear up front. The writing itself is not bad, given what he had to work with. The STORY, Characters, and everything else is just Terrible. Reading the novelization, without the distraction of the special effects and flashy action sequences makes it that much clearer. Too often, the answer to "why would this character do this?!" or "why did totally obvious solution x not occur t ...more
Hasini (Ink On Paper)
I watched the movie before I read this and I still loved this! And I know that I'm reviewing this book way too late, but I honestly don't care because a novelization of a saga as amazing as this one must have a review on my blog! Haha!

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much more substance Brooks' writing gave to the movie! Granted, I knew what was gonna happen in the whole series, but I was really into the book series as well! Surprise, surprise! Haha!

I just loved how much more personality and hist
Matt Hoemke
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on a whim (because I had heard that the novelizations of the Star Wars films were pretty good across the board), and I must say that I was shocked. Terry Brooks manages to execute the material and elevate it far beyond the film it was based on. Or, maybe it is st a case of something being better on paper than on celluloid. Whatever the case, this was a strong sci-fi novel that is leaps bounds better than the movie. It is not bogged down with an abundance of misused CGI or marred by s ...more
Karen
Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, sci-fi
**This review is for the abridged audio version of the Terry Brooks novelization**

I should start by saying that as a previously lifelong fan of Star Wars who no longer called herself a fan after the brutal prequel trilogy, I was pretty convinced I wasn't going to like the audio book either. That being said, a 3-star rating for Phantom Menace really says something for Terry Brooks' novelization. I got more from the story than I did the movie, for sure.
The voice acting is decent although a few of
Elizabeth
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was basically a replica of the movie and there was hardly any difference between the two except for you got some character's thoughts and you had a little more encounters with Darth Maul. Episode I has never been my favorite out of all of the series but the fact that the book was written well I gave it five stars. I originally was going to read all seven books but since book was basically the same thing as the movie I might not except for episode 3. Overall it was good but if you've se ...more

• Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Star Wars: The Approaching Storm
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
  • Star Wars: Rogue Planet
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • The Cestus Deception
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Ruin (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations, #5)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more

Star Wars: Novelizations (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.5)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • A New Hope  (Star Wars: Novelizations, #4)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations, #5)
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” 425 likes
“It's better to die in pursuit of your dreams than to live a life without hope.” 74 likes