Start by marking “The Uncloaked (The Uncloaked Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Uncloaked (The Uncloaked Trilogy #1)

The Uncloaked

(The Uncloaked Trilogy #1)

No one stirred in the area—people stayed in their little hovels. Hiding, most likely. From the cold, the helplessness. Maybe from the Party. Staying out of sight, like cockroaches.
I am not a cockroach.

“Apathy is the illness of the overprivileged…” Words laced with fear—and maybe a hint of prophecy. His father’s words. Words Braxton would prefer to ignore.

Braxton Luther
Published April 28th 2017 by Rooted Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Uncloaked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uncloaked

Sydney
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Author J. Rodes has written a magnificent and thought provoking story in her first book in the Uncloaked Trilogy, The Uncloaked. From page one readers will be drawn into this devastating story that will make you think and rip at your heart. Rodes has a fabulous knack at storytelling that will capture the attention of readers and keep them captivating until the very end; a cliff hanging end. This book is filled with characters and a plot that will bring readers coming back for more. Teens will no ...more
Toni Shiloh
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Wow!

One of the things I love about the dystopian genre is the strength of faith. This genre causes you to self-examine yourself and your beliefs. In The Uncloaked, author J. Rodes hits that out the park.

Y'all, I highlighted so many lines in the story (yay for eBooks), that I'm sure it looks like I just highlighted the entire book. Seriously, there are that many lines that make you think. Make you grapple for reality, because it's fiction, but it's so much more.

In my opinion, this is a bo
Sarah Monzon
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book...what can I say? Oh, I know... READ IT!! Amazingly well-written, it will make you think and consider things about yourself and the world around you. It is a little dark and edgy, but isn't that the climate we're living in?
Courtney Clark
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Uncloaked” trilogy is the thrilling dystopian/YA series from a Christian worldview you didn’t know you needed in your life. It’s a story of family, trust, friendship, loyalty, betrayal, and hardships. Overarching is an abundant theme of choice. Choice of forgiveness or bitterness, of following the Light or living in darkness, of believing in redemption for any soul or living with hate. The Christian worldview offers a realistic scenario and a reason for both the evil and hope portrayed in t ...more
Fiction Aficionado
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
This book had me riveted from its opening lines, and hasn’t let go of me yet, because I’m anxiously awaiting the next book in the series! Not to mention I can’t stop thinking about how I would react if faced with the same situation. Would I have the courage to stand, come what may, even if that meant death? Or worse . . .

Rodes’ narrator, sixteen-year-old pastor’s son Braxton Luther, is testament to her ability to bring complex human characters of any age to life on the page. Braxton is snarky bu
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read that challenges your faith and makes you think about what's going on in the world.

Braxton Luther is your typical, all about me, teenager who doesn't take anything seriously until his self-centered world comes crashing down around him. The Progressive party wins the election, to Braxton that's no big deal but to Eliza Knight it's a huge deal and he needs to wake up fast. Braxton doesn't like anyone forcing him to choose and at the same time he can't figure out what the bi
Carolyn
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I tore through The Uncloaked in about a day, so I can say it was a smooth read and, particularly in the second half, a real page turner.

The reader witnesses the rapid relegation of religion through the eyes of teen and pastor's kid Braxton Martin Luther, who fails to recognize the ramifications of the seismic political shift before it's too late. He's a flawed but sympathetic character whose devotion to his best friend Eliza is endearing.

Braxton is the most well-developed character, which is to
Teresa
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Uncloaked by J. Rodes had me on the edge of my seat the entire book. I'm not sure what to say about it other than You Have To Read it!

It really makes you stop and think! Could this be where we're headed if we don't start paying attention to what's going on in the world? Christians are being persecuted all over the world right now as I write this, but it couldn't happen here, right? Well, maybe we all need to wake up and look around a little more.

I'll get off my soapbox now, lol, but seriou
Kara
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, ya
I was not expecting to be utterly swept up into the story so quickly! But Ms. Rodes hits the ground running in chapter one and lets the reader rest very little throughout the rest of the book. It feels so close to where life is currently in our country and how rapidly such devastating changes could actually become true. Considering all the heartache that these characters seem to about constantly endure, even before said changes show their true colors, I was so grateful that Braxton and Eliza's f ...more
Nicki Chapelway
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Uncloaked by J. Rodes gave me serious flashbacks to my tenth grade when I learned about the twentieth century. Reading about Kasen taking over, was like reading a page out of Hitler’s book. Coming to power over a country beaten down by the reminders of old conflicts and overly strict rules. Check. Targeting the youth and turning them into fanatics. Double check.

I have to admit that I didn’t feel very patriotic with this America because it was barely recognizable. It was a land of rules and r
Rachel Dodson
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. I look forward to finishing the series. This made me think of today's world so very much while I was reading. My only complaint was the overuse of the word Crikey. I received this book through SLB tours for free. A positive review was not required. All opinions are my own.
Mrs. K
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have loved Jennifer's romance work for a while. I was hesitant to read this book as it was outside of my normal comfort zone of genres but boy am I glad I did.

This was an amazing read. Im anxiously awaiting the other two in the series. I'll be purchasing paperbacks for friends and family fot sure.

What are you waiting for, get reading 😉
Coco.V
Dec 07, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/7/2018)!💝
Dorianne Swift
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

What an amazing journey, so far! With enough realism to be frighteningly visual! A completely different take on end times events, and yet a riveting and visceral experience you can feel to your soul. Glad I got the trilogy! Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow!
Ashley
When the Progressive Reform Party's candidate Kasen Asend wins the latest presidential election, Braxton Luthor doesn't see what the big deal is or why his preacher father has been warning everybody about the dangers of his agenda. Braxton just knows that, like with every other new presidency in the history of the nation, nothing will change and the big campaign promises will never see the light of day. Oh man... was he ever wrong! What follows is a terrifyingly realistic picture of what the fut ...more
Jessica Johnson
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a dystopian novel before (don't even really know what that is...but I know it has something to do with the future not turning out so well, kind of like the "Hunger Games" novels). Anyway, I read this book because it was written by one of my favorite authors, who, under another name, writes amazing contemporary fiction. So I had to give this book a try. It did not disappoint. In "The Uncloaked" we get a look into the not-so-distant future, when the election of a new president has ...more
Inspirationalfictionreader
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“THEY’VE WON. GOD HELP US.” This is the opening line of The Uncloaked. It starts off with a bang and never lets up. This is an edge of your seat, thought provoking, youth dystopian novel with so many unexpected twists and turns that you won’t want to put it down.

Eliza was such a wonderful character who had so much courage and never wavered in her faith no matter how hard things got. You can’t help but wonder if you would react the same way she did if you were in her place. Braxton, on the other
Ahnah
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down!!!

Be warned, this book is NOT an easy read and is not for the faint at heart. That being said, this has got to be one of the best books with a solid Christian message behind it that I have ever read! I love the characters, good and bad and written with such depth that I could picture them in my head during the conversations.

Voting a new president and a new party is no big deal right? Especially to some of the local teenagers, but this story is about choices that w
Rachel
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Note: This review covers all three books in this series. It is beneficial to read them in order.

This well-written trilogy will keep you on the edge of your seat with non-stop heart wrenching action. As a YA dystopian work of fiction, this story and it's characters will make you stop and think about how you would respond to the same circumstances. How many of us would give in to the desperation of a persecuted life and choose to believe the lies of a better life by going with the easy choice?

The
R.J. Rodda
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pacy and interesting Christian dystopian starring a troubled PK. I’m a PK too so I have a bit of a soft spot for protagonists struggling with their father’s identity and how it impacts on their own.

The MC in this is Braxton. His father is a celebrity pastor with no time for him. Understandably then, Braxton rejects or struggles with a lot of what his father says. However his best friend is a true believer girl who encourages him to stay on the straight and narrow.

An evil government that hates
Andrea Boyd
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very intense. In fact, after the first couple of chapters, it continues to build, all the way to the end, never letting up. Sadly, things that happen in this book have happened before and could happen again.
Fayelle Ewuakye
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast and suspenseful!

This book is so fast paced! It's scary in a, "this could never happen but it so could" kind of way! What will happen next? Anyone who loves dystopian fiction will enjoy this. I flew through it, and can't wait to read the next one!
Suzie Waltner
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though I am (well) past my YA years, I enjoy a good story with young protagonists. And with the first book in her Uncloaked trilogy, J. Rodes delivers a fast-paced and engaging story that is both believable and possible.

When a new president is elected, Braxton Luther doesn’t understand the uproar it causes throughout his father’s church. It will be just like every other election: nothing will change.
But change is exactly what comes, forcing both Braxton’s family and that of his best friend
Just Commonly
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review is for the full trilogy, but the stars are for individual books of the series.

"Apathy is the illness of the over-privileged Christian."(2, The Uncloaked)

I read the the complete The Uncloaked Trilogy by J.Rodes, also known as Jennifer Rodewald in complete succession, without any other books in between. How could I? Once you start this trilogy, starting with The Uncloaked, you will be hooked.

Dark and intense, this dystopian series delved deep into the concept of faith in times of disc
Francesca  Morales
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Great read!

I just finished this book and i am about to read the second, but I wanted to rate this book just so people will see how amazing of a book this is!!!

So I'm guessing y'all read the synopsis so y'all know what its about, and when I first read that I thought it kind of sounded like the "Hunger games" with a Christian spin on it, but its actually more like the holocaust, how the Germans clamped down so hard on the Jews and religion, except it's fifty years into the future.
Braxton
Kristine Morgan
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Will you stand for what you believe or will you submit to a government that goes against everything you hold dear? The Uncloaked Trilogy is a dystopian look at a Godless future. The plot is solid and reads fast. The characters are well developed and realistic. These books are written for young adults, but I really enjoyed reading them.

I was given these books by the CelebrateLit for review purposes. All thoughts are my own.

About the Books
1-The Uncloaked2-Tearing the Veil3-The Charging Darkness
Fro
Dave T
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hits close to home.

Some may think this persecution is fiction but for the eight years from 2008 to 2016 we saw a rapid rise in attacks on people of faith; from all sides. This book is well written and scary.
Julie Holdsworth
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be continued

Scary, mind-blowing, prophetic. I don't know if I like it or not, but now I have to read the next book in the series.
Lindsay Trapp
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
This book is incredible! From the world building to character development, each part is masterfully woven into a story that will make you think long and hard about how you would respond in the same situation. I can’t wait to read the second book! I highly, highly recommend this book!
Ellen
May 30, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Author Profiles need SEPARATING 3 18 Jun 27, 2017 11:21AM

Pseudonym for Jennifer Rodewald

J. Rodes lives on the wideplains somewhere near the middle of Nowhere. A coffee addict, pickleball enthusiast,and storyteller, she also wears the hats of mom, teacher, and friend. Mostly,she loves Jesus and wants to see the kids she's honored to teach fall in lovewith Him too.

The Uncloaked Trilogy (3 books)
  • Tearing the Veil (The Uncloaked Trilogy #2)
  • Charging the Darkness (The Uncloaked Trilogy #3)