Start by marking “Invisible Emmie” as Want to Read:
Invisible Emmie

Invisible Emmie

This is the story of two totally different girls—quiet, shy, artistic Emmie and popular, outgoing, athletic Katie—and how their lives unexpectedly intersect one day when an embarrassing note falls into the wrong hands.
Published May 2nd 2017 by Balzer + Bray (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Emmie, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lanesha Emmie and Katie are the same person. Emmie created Katie because she was everything Emmie wanted to be. When Emmie is embarrassed by the note and then…moreEmmie and Katie are the same person. Emmie created Katie because she was everything Emmie wanted to be. When Emmie is embarrassed by the note and then begins to break out of her shell, she becomes more courageous and steps out of her shell, showing the qualities and characteristics that she was afraid to show before (the ones she imagined Katie having)(less)

Idarah
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A graphic novel after my own heart! Where were these books when I was in middle school, hiding out in the library during lunch? It reminded me so much of the movie Sixteen Candles, which had such a special place in my heart when I discovered it at the age of thirteen.

Emmie is such a dear character. She takes solace in being the invisible girl in school. Inside though, she's teeming with observations and artistry, and secretly longs to be like the ever popular Katie, who naturally smells of "rai
emma
there's a lot of weird stuff going on in this book. like, a lot of body shaming? b/c you're never too young to learn that your societal worth is based on the weight of your flesh prison. also there's this weird thing in the prologue where someone's made fun of for "ha[ving] some kind of disability." which is so next-level f*cked up that it's impossible to make excuses for.

also, not a lot of general acceptance for a middle school book. this book is literally exclusively about one girl's path to s
Dov Zeller
Emmie is a quiet kid. She goes through her days at school doing her best to avoid attention. She has one close friend who goes to the same school, and when they're not together, she's pretty much drawing a lot and trying to blend in with the scenery.

And then something happens that brings her quite a bit of unwanted attention. And she's forced to go through a very rough day at school and face some of her fears.

I suppose she learns that kids in middle school aren't always what they seem. before t
Joie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was adorable! I wish I had this book when I was in middle school. (I also loved that Emmie loved the library and felt safe and comfortable there! Woo!) I can't wait to pass this along to my 7th graders this year!
Davianna
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Didn't see the end coming but I've never been able to lol. I feel like this book is more accurate to us shy folks and maybe those of us with a little (a lot) bit of social anxiety. I remember elementary school (before homeschool) was a hard time for me and I'd read to avoid talking to people, of course all the teachers loved me because I was quiet too. I wish I had this book when I was in school, I finished this in public of all places and nearly cried my eyes out because it brought back all my ...more
Dreaday
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one quite a bit-- possibly because I am quiet, shy, awkward, and like to read, much like the main character. She's easy to identify with, and her parents' hilarious antics, their quirks mentioned in brief asides, seem like sweet, lovable characters. But that aside, the illustrations are great (especially the unnecessary labeling of things happening in the background), the jokes land (even/especially the callbacks), and the twist ending is empowering.

Considering how much Raina
Ari
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Such a relatable, quick, easy read. Just what I needed after my last intense read before I pick up a new book.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Emmie is the Invisible Girl, and Katie is one of the most popular girls in school. Yet their lives intersect in the strangest of ways on Emmie's worst day.

Color me very intrigued by this middle grade graphic novel.

I enjoyed the way the text was interspersed with the comics, and I enjoyed how the two girls' lives were drawn. Emmie's was text and graphics, with the illustrations muted, more stick figurey, while Katie's were bold, vivacious and dramatic multi-panel comics to show how wonderful her
Cecelia
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful beautiful beautiful. At 24 years old, I may be slightly embarrassed to say there was a part in this book where I almost cried, solely because Emmie reminds me so much of myself (both now and at 13). This was the book I needed to read in 6th grade at the start of middle school. I loved Emmie's snippy commentary, the close-to-home details in the illustrations, and the cast of characters. I was a little put-off by Katie's "too perfect" characterization but the ending was beautiful and tie ...more
Maria
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was so cute, and very well illustrated! It is about a girl named Emmie who is often alone in school and feels invisible. Emmie is also a very talented artist, and draws all the time. She has a friend name Briana, whom she hangs out with a lot. This book was funny, cute, and a quick read. I recommend it to anyone who feels like they can relate to Emmie or her friend.
laura (bookies & cookies)
This was spot on with my middle school experience (that I've mostly blocked out, don't worry). Told in alternating POVs of "invisible" Emmie and "popular kid" Katie, it shows the two very different takes on adolescence.
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quiet students rejoice, this one's for you! At first, the two stories at the same time seemed odd, but I liked how they came together at the end. This is a good choice for older students who haven't developed reading stamina for long novels, because there is a good mix of text and graphics.
Mehsi
I was really looking forward to this book, and I was so happy when my pre-order got delivered yesterday!

Thankfully, I have a mostly free day today, so I could read it.

It was really good, but it was also confusing. I had a suspicion about Katie, but after a while I wasn't sure if my suspicion was right. I was definitely interested in this girl, and I was hoping for her to become friends with Emmie.
(view spoiler)
Jks
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not a graphic novel reader, but I couldn’t resist the first line of the story.”you’re probably wondering how I became a puddle of slime.” This is the perfect expression of crushes in middle school. I couldn’t put it down.
Michelle Glatt
I really enjoyed this realistic fiction graphic novel. Fans of Smile and Real Friends will like this one, too.
Allison
Great read to pair with either Dork Diaries or Diary of a Wimpy Kids or even Big Nate!

Authors- please do more books in this type of format because the students love them!!
Caroline
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this graphic novel and related to it so much. It’s geared toward middle schoolers but anyone who’s ever felt awkward or like an outsider will totally love this. I will definitely be recommending it to young kids to show them that they can be confident and be themselves, but also to adults who remember what it’s like to feel invisible.
Anna
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Invisable Emmie is about a girl named Emmis who is very quiet and shy. She has a bestfriend named Brianna and has a huge cruch on a boy named Tyler Ross. On the other hand, there is also a perspective of a girl named katie who is very pretty, popular and athletic. One day there lives cross paths when Emmie and Brianna are making note to there cruches, (not actually planning to give them to them) Emmie accadentally drops hers and a boy named Joe picks it up and states make fun of her for liking h ...more
LynnDee (The Library Lush)
This was cute, and an accurate depiction of the middle school experience.
Kristen
Highly illustrated chapter book, reminded me a bit of The Ellie McDoodle Diaries by Ruth McNally Barshaw. I liked the quiet girl juxtaposed with the popular girl, and I liked the twist at the end, but it didn't completely fit for me upon rereading. Still, good realistic fiction, quick read, many quiet kids will like.
Rian *fire and books*
I appreciate that Emmie was well fleshed out but Katie felt very flat. The reasoning for this becomes apparent (pun intended) at the end as well as provides some clarity to earlier scenes. I personally didn't enjoy it because it felt so weighted to one character. Overall it is relatable to many young kids and for that I do consider it an okay graphic novel.
Ashlee Null
2.5-3

I was struggling with the popular character because she was so flat and then the twist ending made me feel eh about her all together. I liked the idea but not sure about the execution. I need to sit on this for a bit. May edit the review later.
Addie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a 4 out of 5 because it starts off really slow (and not great) and then becomes amazing! I like the message in the book that if someone pushes you down you just get back up and keep fighting.
Erin Kelly
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! The voice was pitch-perfect, writing and art was incredible. I related so well to Emmie and the ending was perfection. This my favorite mg graphic novel since Roller Girl. Graphic novels are killing it lately! <3
Kristen
Such a fantastic new graphic novel. Will be recommending this one to all my students who are fans of Raina Telgeimeier. Love the character and seeing her blossom, so glad I was able to snag this one at ALA to read.
Jeimy
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emmie is a quiet introvert who has one friend and loves to draw. Katie is her polar opposite. One day, Katie steps in to help Emmie stand up to a bully. This is a great graphic novel that touches upon many aspects that affect students in middle school.
mytaakeonit
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really cute graphic novel/chapter book about how two middle school girls lives are interconnected. It has an interesting twist. Reminded me a little of the Middle School
Series by James Patterson.
Elaine Fultz
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as Roller Girl, but damn close. Middle school humor is spot on.
Gaby
3.75 Stars.

Just okay, but I did love the little unexpected twist at the end. Totally didn't see that coming.
Lata
3.5 stars. Cute drawings. Standard plot about anxious, quiet girl experiencing a moment of humiliation at junior high before beginning to open up to others.
My beef, and it's not restricted to this book: why do so many female-centric middle-grade and YA stories have female protagonists who hate math and are bad at math? I am so tired of that. Numbers and their relationships are neat, and why are girls repeatedly shown as antagonistic to math?! Drives me nuts.
Spring 2019, Wild...: Jannette Vazquez Review #3 1 5 Feb 21, 2019 06:47PM
Spring 2019, Wild...: Madison Whichello's Review 3 1 4 Feb 20, 2019 08:14PM
Sophia Martinez Review 3 1 1 Feb 20, 2019 12:40PM

• Brave (Awkward, #2)
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Swing it, Sunny
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • The Great Big Boom (HiLo, #3)
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • All Summer Long
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • Sparks! (Sparks! #1)
  • Be Prepared
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade
  • Nightmare Escape (Dream Jumper, #1)
  • Fish Girl
  • NewsPrints
  • Red's Planet (Red's Planet #1)
  • The Breadwinner: A Graphic Novel
Terri Libenson (pronounced LEE-bensun) is the cartoonist of the internationally syndicated comic strip, “The Pajama Diaries.” She is also an award-winning humorous card writer for American Greetings Corp. She has written for AmericanGreetings.com, Egreetings.com, and BlueMountainArts.com as well.
Terri graduated from Washington University in St. Louis in 1992 with a BFA in illustration and a minor