Start by marking “I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: 20th Anniversary” as Want to Read:
I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: 20th Anniversary

I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: 20th Anniversary

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,038 ratings  ·  122 reviews
On the twentieth anniversary of the Coen brothers' cult classic film, the ultimate fan's guide to The Big Lebowski, with a foreword by the Dude himself, Jeff Bridges, and a new afterword by writer and film critic Daphne Merkin.

When it was first released in 1998, The Big Lebowski flopped at the box office. Twenty years later, the movie has developed a massive, passionate, a
Published February 6th 2018 by Bloomsbury USA (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: 20th Anniversary
Joseph D'Agnese
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, there's a book, well, it's the book for its time and place. It fits right in there. And that's this book, right here. And even if it's a lazy book - and any book 'bout the Dude is most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County or any other, frankly, which would place it high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. But sometimes there's a book, sometimes, there's a book. Aw. I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough.
Luke Peterson
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard fans
I abide this book five stars for the same reason many Christians would probably give the Holy Bible five stars: It's the primary book around on its relatively specialized subject matter.

I received this book as a gift and was extremely jazzed at the prospect of catching some of the back story of a film I've seen 80 or 90 times. Turns out the book is pretty funny and slightly inspiring at times, but can't match the genius of the work it has been written to supplement.

The authors are the "founding
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc

If you were a fan of the movie then this book is a must read. If you have not watched it, watch it and then come back and read the book. But really either way you should be familiar with the movie.

The book was almost a guide to the movie and it was fun and very enjoyable to read. What can you expect from the book? A lot. Obviously humor and a whole lot more. We get a good look behind the scenes, many pictures of scenes, characters and locations. As well interviews with the cast and crew. Plus s

Matthias Ferber
Skimmed this in a Barnes & Noble while I had time to kill. Basically it's the product of some scarily obsessed fanboys. It includes a fanatically comprehensive set of interviews -- they not only tracked down the actor who played Larry, the kid who steals the Dude's car ("IS THIS YOUR HOMEWORK, LARRY?") but also the former kid whose real-life involvement in a car theft inspired the Larry incident. They even interviewed the actress who played the supermarket checkout girl in one of the opening sce ...more
Rev
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love the Big Lebowski, then you will enjoy this book.
KDB
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-funsies
Sometimes there's a book... to describe a movie that rests in the hearts of so many Achievers. If you aren't a fan of The Big Lebowski, a masterpiece from the ever brilliant Coen brothers, then don't bother with this book. You're out of your element, like a child that wanders into the midst of pages you simply won't understand. This book is excellent - like the Dude's rug, it really ties the room together. Even after countless viewings of the greatest movie ever made, I learned quite a bit from ...more
Kerry
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who enjoyed the movie The Big Lebowski
Shelves: iownthis, coffeetable
I bought this book on impulse, and I don't regret it at all. It's a fantastic coffee table book, and easily flip-throughable. Most of the book consists of interviews with the actors in the film -- ALL of the actors, from Julianne Moore and Jeff Bridges to the Dude's landlord, and Liam (the Jesus' bowling partner.) And they all love the movie, apparently.

It's obviously all over the dick of the movie, but that's not too annoying. And it makes me more determined to actually attend a Lebowskifest, w
jeremy
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gen-nonfiction
please lower your voice, sir, this is a family restaurant.
John McDermott
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Big Lebowski movie is a classic that seems to get better with each viewing. However, while I enjoy the movie, I would never consider attending a Lebowski Fest.
This book is written by devoted fans, and is perfect for those who cannot get enough Lebowski and for Lebowski Fest attendees. However, there were sections of the book that bogged down in the minutie of slang and situations. Hard core fans might enjoy the little details, but I am not that interested. Nevertheless, this book was a plea
Lukasz
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ultimate Big Lebowski fan book. Filled with interviews with the cast, tips on how to Dude-ify your life, as well as a search for why the Big Lebowski has inspired so many people. Written by the creators of the Lebowski Fest.
Drew
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun look behind the scenes and into the minutiae of the movie from some very (some might say overly) dedicated fans. They talk to everybody involved except for the Coen brothers themselves.
Harm Van
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, especially the interviews with all the actors and the original people on whom the characters were based. But: for Big Lebowski fans only!
Mark
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I suppose I have not seen the movie the required # of times before reading the book (3) so maybe I got nothing to say about what appears to be another cult. Ah well.
Jen
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty much what I was expecting. A light read with funny bits and insights from the cast, fans, and the authors.
Collin Henderson
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Far out, man. Far fucking out.
Karl
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must have for any Achiever in training
Derek
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-culture, owned, media
There's a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous to be discussed about the neo-noir stoner comedy The Big Lebowski, and the creators of Lebowski Fest are the men for their time. I wouldn't call them heroes - but then, what is a hero anyway? Shush, now I've gone and done it. I, like the authors of this book and the Achievers they represent, could go on for a long time sharing quotations and favourite moments from the Coens' cult classic comedy. It's one of my favourite movies, and so I reall ...more
Richard
where do i start. brilliant. the book about the movie about the man for his time and place. our time. lebowski's time. i mean to say 'the dude' (or the duderino or his dude-ness if you're not into the whole brevity thing). learn what it means to be an achiever, and the scourge of being a bum. because they lost. tattoo it on your forehead! because the dude minds! this aggression will not stand, man!

big lebowski fans, your time has arrived. this-is-a-must-have for you. this book, even on shomer s
Blayne
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an Acheiver from way back. I have a t-shirt from the 1st Annual Lebowskifest and attended the 2nd and 3rd in Louisville.

I first saw The Big Lebowski March 2008, when it first came out in theaters. The theater only had a handful of people, inlcuding a guy sitting behind me, that laughed the entire movie. I don't recall anyone else laughing and I found his continous laughter a little annoying and distracting.

As my girlfriend (now wife) and I left the movie, I remember saying, "I want to see t
Alex Gherzo
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of The Big Lebowski, you must read this book! No two ways about it. There are great stories about how the Coen Brothers came up with the Dude's many misadventures, interviews with much of the cast (even people with tiny roles), descriptions of Lebowskifests past, testimonials from some famous and some not-so-famous fans, information on locations used in the film, and lots of fun references to the movie (the kind you no doubt make in everyday conversations if you're anything like ...more
Robb
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
This is a great book for anyone who's crossed the threshold from casual viewer to obsessed, multi-viewing, actually going to Lebowskifest, dressing up like the characters fans... such as myself.

It's great because it goes into all the details that you would want to know about a movie you're obsessed with. Where the scenes were shot, how the characters were conceived, what was based on actual events, and things like that. It analyzes dialogue, interviews the actors, and covers everything so thoro
Dan
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Achievers
Recommended to Dan by: My Dad
This is a must read for any Achievers (the preferred nomenclature for die hard Big Lebowski fans, in the parlance of our times.)

This book is great. It contains interviews with actors. But it also contains interviews with the people who were the inspiration for the characters in The Big Lebowski. Yup, there is a Dude (Jeff "The Dude" Dowd,) and there are many inspirations for Walter. Furthermore, the authors discovered that there were many actual events that inspired The Big Lebowski. These inclu
jenna
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who adores "The Big Lebowski"
Shelves: 2012
Lebowski fans, rejoice!

This book is rich with incidental facts and trivia of the beloved movie. What I love best is it's interviews with the most "inconsequential" actors and historical figures that inspire the movie. Watching the movie I am definitely enamored with the nuances that are so subtle and appear so "inside", but you get it some how! "Sometime you eat the bar, sometime the bar eats you"; makes sense when you hear it, but there's actually this great context to it!

Like many, The Big Leb
Chris
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the ultimate fan book. I don't think there is any part of The Big Lebowski that this book does not cover. For someone who has seen the movie many times, there is still some info for you here in this book, but at times it gets repetitive. The book basically breaks down like this: an introduction; interviews with all actors/actresses in the film; interviews with the people who served as inspiration for various characters; interviews with fans (some are well known); Lebowski Fest info; ...more
Nora
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Achievers
Shelves: film
This book is hilarious. My heart swelled in an intense feeling of camaraderie as I read the words of my fellow Achievers.

However, I was slightly disappointed that my photo - that had been on the Lebowski Fest website for awhile - did not make it into the book. Bygones.

If TBL made you "laugh to beat the band" this book will, too.

Oh, and Tara Reid. You should be ashamed of yourself. That interview, if it can even be called such a thing, was awful. You're not dealing with morons here. Amateur.
Sherrie
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about one of my favorite movies, The Big Lebowski. The book explores the cult following surrounding the film, interviews the actors, introduces the real people who inspired the characters, offers a plethora of trivia about the movie, and what have you. If you are a fan of the movie, this book is highly recommended. If The Big Lebowski isn't your thing, skip it- in the words of the film's Walter Sobchak, doing so may cause you to "enter a world of pain" if your sense of humor isn't ...more
Dave
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't disagree more with the reviewer who wrote "not a lot of meat and bones here" - it's penned by the founders of the LebowskiFest, true, but they went out of their way to interview not only actors in the film, but to track down and interview the real-life inspirations, establishing so well all the various stories that informed Joel & Ethan Cohen that the writers of the BFI Film Classic on the film, J.M. Tyree & Ben Walters, cite the work as "marvellous" [notes, p. 109]. If you're a fan o ...more
Sean Morrison
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a book for all true achievers. This isn't exactly for lightweights. I really loved reading about the other fans' commentaries of the movie and the following it has gained. It's good to know we're not alone. As a Lebowski Fest veteran (Louisville 2005!) I feel like I have played a small part in history. And, having this book lying around helps identify others like me, some really worthy adversaries. Plus, it really ties the room together.
Dwight
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dwight by: Matt Talamini
This book is for everyone who, like me, has been waiting for a real The Big Lebowski special edition DVD.

The best part is the interviews. They interviewed most of the actors and many of the people that the Coen Brothers based the various characters on. All the way down to the real little Larry Sellers.

Sometimes the movie quotations go a little over the line but they didn't go too far, maybe their toe just slipped over. ;)

Keith
Aug 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SUPER die-hard fans
I was excited to read this, thinking that it would be the end-all be-all of books about my favorite movie.

Turns out... not so much.

The best part of the book are the interviews with the actors as well as the interviews with the real-life people some of the characters were based on.

Though I expected more from the founders of Lebowskifest, this was fun and worth the $15.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Warfare in the Latin East, 1192-1291
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • Persiana: Recipes from the Middle East & Beyond
  • Giacometti - Chadwick, Facing fear
  • The War on Normal People: The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future
  • Springsteen Access All Areas
  • Marked Women: Prostitutes and Prostitution in the Cinema
  • Claude Chabrol
  • Born on the Fourth of July
  • Runnin' with the Devil: A Backstage Pass to the Wild Times, Loud Rock, and the Down and Dirty Truth Behind the Making of Van Halen
  • Bruce Springsteen: Two Hearts, the Story