Start by marking “Promises in Death (In Death, #28)” as Want to Read:
Promises in Death (In Death, #28)

Promises in Death

(In Death #28)

Amarylis Coltraine may have recently transferred to the New York City police force from Atlanta, but she's been a cop long enough to know how to defend herself against an assailant. When she's taken down just steps away from her apartment, killed with her own weapon, for Eve the victim isn't just 'one of us.'

Dallas's friend Chief Medical Examiner Morris and Coltraine had s
Published March 24th 2009 by Putnam (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Promises in Death, please sign up.
Lisa I don't know as this is the only book I've read in the series - but it definitely works as a stand-alone book. I did not feel that there was…moreI don't know as this is the only book I've read in the series - but it definitely works as a stand-alone book. I did not feel that there was background information that I didn't have that I needed.(less)
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
1,630 books — 6,938 voters
Naked in Death by J.D. RobbGlory in Death by J.D. RobbVengeance in Death by J.D. RobbNew York to Dallas by J.D. RobbRapture in Death by J.D. Robb
Best of J.D. Robb
33 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex ♈
Suspense 5 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

This book made me cry 😭😭😭
A cop was killed, a young lovely woman, who just found her love. Amarylis.
Damn, life’s so unfair. Damn! My heart broke for Morris. One of my favorite side characters.
We knew, who the puppet master was, but we didn’t get the killer’s identity till the very end. Brilliant.

Romance. Bachelor party for Louise and Charles. LOL.
But if my man travelled to Vegas with guys, I would at least order some male strippers for the girls' party ;-) S
Jilly
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not my favorite when it comes to the killings/mystery because it wasn't nearly bloody, violent, and sinister enough. But, the good part of this book was that there was plenty of attention paid to all of the side-characters of the series that we have grown to know and love.

So, cop-killer pursuit - meh. a little boring. Plus, I figured out who the first bad-guy was as soon as we met, and the second bad-guy as soon as we knew there was another. Come on, man! Give me a challenge!!

Dead cop's boyfrien
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
In Death book number 28 in which one of their own dies a very unpleasant death and all the stops are pulled out to find the murderer and bring them to justice.

Some very emotional moments between Morris and Eve who finds herself in the position of supporting a friend in his moment of need. I love the way Eve and Roarke are progressing in their relationship with much more open communication and understanding. Mavis and Bella provide some of the light entertainment as do Galahad and even Summerset.
♥Sharon♥
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Here we are again with another 5 star review. I. LOVED. IT. I know I am repeating myself but quite honestly after 28 books I am running out of things to say.

I LOVE Roarke and Eve.

I LOVE the development of all the secondary characters and their relationships. In this one Morris was front and center.

I LOVE the funny moments that get weaved in. Just image Eve, Peabody, Louise, Mavis, Nadine, Dr. Mira and the rest of the girls having fun at a wedding shower which involved Bellini's, mag food and
Mo
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"sound like a broken record"to say the same thing over and over again. (Fig. on a scratch in a phonograph record causing the needle [or stylus] to stay in the same groove and play it over and over.)

I can find no fault with these books. Great characters, good suspense, kept me guessing. Of course Eve will figure the mystery out eventually, with the help of her beloved Roarke and her side-kicks. She had shopping (shudder) and a bridal shower (more shudders - from Eve) - she hates all the girly stu
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Oh Morris, I'm so sorry for you honey. 💔💔💔 😢😢😢

Mei
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Oh, I hate when this happen... :(
I like Morris and was so happy for him... and now... :(

Still the story was good (even if sad...)
Julie (jjmachshev)
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
I don't know how J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts does it, but she consistently writes novels with just the right mix of emotion, sexual tension, wry humor, and mystery to keep me riveted every darn time! "Promises in Death" had me flipping the pages as fast as I could read to try and figure out 'who done it' and feed my Roarke fix.

This time the death is personal...not because the vic is a cop, but because she's the cop that Li Morris (coroner extraordinaire) was seriously involved with, and Li's pain is
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Rereading (yet again!) for group buddy read - Oct. 2018 Promises is one of my favorites!

Once again blown away by the character relationship development in this series!
Promises is special as relationships grow and expand, offering a safe harbor and a place for healing after tragedy strikes. The issue of nature vs. nurture is explored again. I love the balance of suspense, romance, snarky humor, and police procedural in this series. A Must Read!
Megan
"I can help. We're the smart girls. Let's solve some crime!"

This is not a book that can be appreciated if randomly picked off a shelf. The joy in reading it comes from knowing the series' characters, knowing the tropes, and watching them intersect, interact, and sometimes implode. This is a payoff book, not a setup book.

The tensest scene is not Eve facing off against the prime suspect, but instead, an emotionally and physically intense deception pulled off by the victim's boyfriend (recurring ch
Ann Lou
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite characters suffered a loss in this one. Considering my feelings towards said character, I was hurt and sad while reading this installment. He cared deeply for that woman and she was also a good person/cop. And I am proud of Eve for being there for him.

The preparation for Charles-Louise wedding continues. The bridal shower was fun but it was horror for Eve. But it was Roarke and the boys who enjoyed their party in Vegas with Mr. Mira.

And of course moments with Roarke and Eve
Anastasia
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Promises in Death by J.D.Robb is book 28 in the In Death series. Policewoman and Chief Medical Examiners Morris girlfriend, Amaryllis Coltrane is found dead, killed with her own weapon and Eve investigates, finding links to a previous case of hers. The books just keep getting better and better. I love that Eve has become more comfortable in her relationship even to the point of accepting a specially made car for her from Roarke. This book explores the difficulties that police spouses face when t ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read 24 May - 25 June 2016

1st read from September 26 to 30, 2013
İlkim
Hüzünlüydü. Morris’e bu yapılır mıydı ya? Polisiye kısmı iyiydi, şahane değildi belki ama bu kitapta hzünlendiğim kadar da kahkaha attım. En çok Peabody Eve’i taşırken güldüm heralde. Bir de Eve’in dehşetle ev sahipliği yaptığı bridal shower vardı, orası da ayrı güldürüyor. Seriyi hala çok seviyorum, sıkılmadım hiç.

“Oh shit, oh shit, stupid shower present!”
Now she did pull her hair as she made the dash to her office.
Roarke sat in her visitor’s chair, comfortably involved with his PPC. He glanced
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

In book twenty-eight of the In Death series, things take a dark turn when a cop killer is on the loose. Amarylis Coltraine is the latest victim to be attacked. As a newly transferred police officer who has come to New York, she is highly trained and should be able to defend herself but she dies just steps from her own apartment, sparking a whole slew of questions from Eve Dallas. Worse of all, Amarylis was involved with the chief Medical Examiner Morris and now Eve is tasked with telling her f
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really like this book - lots of emotion in this one. A bad cop - which I detest period, and poor Morris - who I really like and feel so sorry for.

The story line was excellent, bringing Max Ricker back into play - what a shiester, who should get father of the year award!!

Peabody is fitting right into the role of Detective quite nicely - getting her rhythm! And the wedding shower for Louise finishing up the next morning with "the smart girls"!

Two thumbs up and 5 stars!
Kjen
Another great re-read! Eve goes through so much growth as she copes with comforting a bereaved friend, shopping(shudder:), and a bridal shower. This makes for some fun sprinkled in with the nasty business of cop murder. Loved the parallels...and not...that Roarke tries to see between himself and Alex Ricker. It's all about choices in life! There are some of my favorite quotes in this one...I'll see if I can dig them up;)
Venus Blancia
One emotional read and another unforgettable character development for Eve as far as dealing with friendship is concerned.
Wayland Smith
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the things that makes me stick with a series is the writer's ability to flesh out not just their mains, but the secondary characters. Robert B Parker's Spenser books, and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files both do that very, very well. Robb/Roberts does the same with this series.

Medical Examiner Morris has been around since the series started, a quiet, competent presence that helps Eve and is a good friend to our hero. Recently, he began dating an officer that transferred up from Atlanta, Amary
Kara-karina
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one. Not only it involves both Roarke and Eve's pasts, it's about a very tragic loss for Morris, Eve's old friend and medical examiner. A loss he'll feel for many more books to come. Great investigation as usual, a very enjoyable read.

* * *

С большим удовольствием читала эту книгу. Она не только затрагивает прошлое Рорка и Ив, она немного раскрывает нам характер Морриса, который в этой книге теряет возлюбленную, и который будет по ней горевать на протяжение многих книг серии. Хорошая
Lauren
Promises in Death
4 Stars

Eve and her team investigate the murder of one of their own. Leaving no stone unturned, Eve delves into the life of fellow officer Amarylis Coltraine and discovers a disturbing link to her own past, which may or may not have played an integral part in the detective's death.

Despite the fact that Amarylis has only a very minor role in the series, her death has a profound effect mainly due to her close relationship with ME Morris. It is clear that the love they shared was d
Eve
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Promises in Death by J.D. Robb
Series: In Death, #28
Suspense > futuristic > romance > mystery

PROMISES IN DEATH is one of my favorites in the "In Death" series. The mystery is captivating right from the beginning; it has the right mix of emotion, sexual tension, wry humor, and mystery to keep me riveted!

Amarylis Coltraine has been recently transferred to the New York City police force from Atlanta, and she’s been a cop long enough to know how to defend herself against an assailant. Yet,
LJ
PROMISES IN DEATH (Pol/Proc-Eve Dallas-NYC-Future/2060) – VG+
Robb, J.D (aka Nora Roberts. – 29th in series
Putnam, 2009, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780399155482

First Sentence: She was dead the minute she answered the ‘link.

Lt. Eve Dallas takes on a new case that is particularly painful. Amaryllis Coltraine was a fellow cop and the love of Eve’s friend and colleague, Chief Medical Examiner Li Morris. The case has even more personal overtones when Eve discovers Coltraine was previously involved with cri
Reen
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this has been my favourite so far. So many emotions in this one and we see a new, softer side of Eve. Eve's friendship with Morris leads her to want to be there for him, an emotion that is new to her. “There it was, Eve supposed. There was the answer to why people got tangled up with people. Because when you were down, when you were wallowing, someone you mattered to would ask if you were okay.”
When she asks Peabody if there are "little pink fairies" in her world, and when Roarke tells h
Julie
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that this is one of my favorite of the In Death series. I love the personal aspects of the series and unfortunately because one of their own is murdered there are plenty of them here. Morris's gf Coltraine is murdered and it's up to Eve to find her killer and to help Morris get through this hard time. Morris is a great character and I hope he is featured more in future books. Max Ricker plays a dominant role in this book even locked in jail, he still has a lot of connections. The k ...more
Andree
Jul 10, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
Continuing to fly through these.

I liked this one (view spoiler). I did like Eve's dynamic with Morris in this one. I enjoyed Eve as friend. And some of the Eve/Sommerset stuff was excellent (he's proud of how she handled things. Daw...).

Plus, Mira raiding Eve's closet and helping her find something to wear for Louise's wedding shower is
Laura Beth
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have updated this one to 5 stars. When I re-read this one, I just love it. The sadness and loss of the murder victim, the interaction of the characters, and the care that Eve shows Morris are wonderful. There are situations that arise in the book are some of my favorite scenes in the series. The mystery is probably the weakest link and just a little too contrived, but all in all this is well worth a read and many re-reads.
Pamela Shropshire
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's always fun to visit Eve & Roarke and company. In this one, JD Robb/Nora Roberts decides to kill ME Morris' lady, the Southern belle cop, Amaryllis Coltraine. Poor Morris - I've always liked him. Anyway, it isn't a particularly profound or mysterious murder, but there are some fun consolatory events.

Louise and Charles are getting married and Eve is hosting the bridal shower. This means that Mavis and Peabody are doing all the work and Roarke is footing the bill. Eve's a lucky woman. We h
  • Black Hills
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • Hades
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Dark Light (Ghost Hunters, #5)
  • Dream Man
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“Do little pink fairies sing and dance in your world, Peabody?"
"Sometimes, when it's very quiet and no one else can see.”
224 likes
“There it was, Eve supposed. There was the answer to why people got tangled up with people. Because when you were down, when you were wallowing, someone you mattered to would ask if you were okay.” 216 likes