Start by marking “The Reconciliation Manifesto: Recovering the Land, Rebuilding the Economy” as Want to Read:
The Reconciliation Manifesto: Recovering the Land, Rebuilding the Economy

The Reconciliation Manifesto: Recovering the Land, Rebuilding the Economy

In this book Arthur Manuel and Grand Chief Ronald Derrickson challenge virtually everything that non-Indigenous Canadians believe about their relationship with Indigenous Peoples and the steps that are needed to place this relationship on a healthy and honourable footing.

Manuel and Derrickson show how governments are attempting to reconcile with Indigenous Peop
Published October 6th 2017 by Lorimer

To ask other readers questions about The Reconciliation Manifesto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reconciliation Manifesto

Danielle
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
More important reads for Canadians! Let's implement UNDRIP already.
Carla
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best calls to action that I have ever read - it is thoughtful, angry, funny, conversational, creative, informed - and I so appreciate that Arthur Manuel took the time to put together his thoughts and give direction about how to go about real reconciliation - its gotta start with the land, focus on the land, end with the land. We together - Indigenous and settlers - collectively need to figure out how we are going to live together going forward, and we settlers of the US and Ca ...more
Justin
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leisure-interest
Arthur Manuel left a tremendous legacy of fighting for Indigenous rights not just in Canada but internationally as well. His death was a huge loss for the movement for Indigenous justice, but the posthumous publication of The Reconciliation Manifesto softens the blow and lays bare Manuel's critical analysis of where things stand and need to go, ensuring that his influence will continue to be felt as the fight continues.

I learned a lot from Unsettling Canada, Manuel's first book published just a coup
Brentman99
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not something I would normally read in my leisure time, but I saw it reviewed in Canada's History Magazine and it is related to my work, so I decided that I would give it a try.

Overall, I found it an interesting, thought provoking read. However, while I would rate the importance of the topic five stars, due to what I thought unnecessary repetitiveness and a need for a bit more editing, I dropped my overall rating to four stars - though I had thought to drop it to three, but t
Brenda D
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book sets out why Canadian "settlers" need to do more to commit to the path of reconciliation. According to Arthur Manuel (author) the next steps will require more than 'feel good' emotional support. In fact, he concludes with a six-step program of concrete action that are 'essential' in order to address the ongoing history of colonization.

There is certainly merit in reading the book for both the political and legal history presented and to better understand the challenges Canad
Magdalena Milosz
Manuel covers an incredible amount of ground in this book, tracing the history of colonialism in Canada while outlining the steps that need to be taken for true decolonization for the sixty Indigenous nations within the Canadian space. Key points include the implementation of UNDRIP, recognition of Aboriginal title and rights as underlying Crown title, and self-determination. Much attention is focused on the “termination policy” of the Canadian government, which has morphed from an official assi ...more
MJ
Dec 23, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018atyin52books
I haven't assigned any stars to this, because I didn't love it (because who loves to look in the mirror and see the dirty truth that one's country is founded on?) and a lower rating isn't deserved either.

Manuel's conversational tone is accessible and frank. He doesn't candy coat the reality of how Canada was founded, or the daily reality of many First Nations people in Canada. The majority of Canadians are truly ignorant of the treaties that were signed on this land over a century ag
Erika
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was eye-opening for me. There is the understanding of 'reconciliation' with Canada's Indigeneous peoples, that you can start from where we are now. But Manuel's convincing position is that for true reconciliation to occur we have to revise basic colonial structures - starting with acknowledgement of Indigenous peoples' right to self-determination. Once that occurs, he says, Indigenous and non-Indigenous leadership can start negotiating re-distribution of lands and resources so that eve ...more
Clivemichael
Well articulated documentation of an ongoing racist travesty. Much food for thought and hope.
"Canada needs to fully recognize our Aboriginal and treaty rights and our absolute right to self-determination. At the same time, we will recognize the fundamental human right of Canadians, after hundreds of years of settement, to live here. Then we can sit down and negotiate a way that Canadians and Indigenous peoples can live on this vast shared land in a way that allows for prosperity for both s
Tracey M
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really important read, and one of the best things I’ve read for understanding how non-Indigenous Canadians can repair the relationship with Indigenous Canadians that has been badly damaged by generations of genocidal policies and practices. This book doesn’t shy away from talking about the deep issues and what must be done, particularly around recovering more of the land base for Indigenous communities.
Diana
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

It clarified so many issues for me, and helped me to understand Canadian aboriginal issues, and the kind of future all Canadians can look forward to if we honour our legal obligations to First Nations.

I highly recommend it.
Rhys
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Canada's shame laid bare.

"You cannot have reconciliation under the colonial 0.2 per cent Indian reserve system. It is impossible. Nothing can justify that kind of human degradation. The land issue must be addressed before reconciliation can begin."
Alexandra
Required reading for Canadians
Jim
Jul 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
Wanted to finish this book, but couldn't. Poorly written/edited, accusatory in tone and offered little positive guidance to either indigenous and non-indigenous people.
Andrea Schroeder
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All Canadians should read this book.
kyla
Jul 31, 2019
Sean
Mar 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dancing on Our Turtle's Back: Stories of Nishnaabeg Re-Creation, Resurgence, and a New Emergence
  • My Conversations with Canadians
  • Coming Home to the Pleistocene
  • Embers: One Ojibway's Meditations
  • Way of the Scout
  • The Real Wealth of Nations: Creating a Caring Economics
  • The Doubter's Companion: A Dictionary of Aggressive Common Sense
  • Earth Quest - Earth Medicine: Revealing Hidden Treasures of the Native American Medicine Wheel - a Shamanic Way to Self-discovery
  • Savages
  • Small Beneath the Sky: A Prairie Memoir
  • Columbus and Other Cannibals: The Wetiko Disease of Exploitation, Imperialism, and Terrorism
  • Bay of Spirits: A Love Story
  • 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality
  • Conflict Is Not Abuse: Overstating Harm, Community Responsibility, and the Duty of Repair
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind