Start by marking “Making an Antislavery Nation: Lincoln, Douglas, and the Battle over Freedom” as Want to Read:
Making an Antislavery Nation: Lincoln, Douglas, and the Battle over Freedom

Making an Antislavery Nation: Lincoln, Douglas, and the Battle over Freedom

This sweeping narrative presents an original and compelling explanation for the triumph of the antislavery movement in the United States prior to the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln's election as the first antislavery president was hardly preordained. From the country's inception, Americans had struggled to define slavery's relationship to freedom. Most Northerners supported ab ...more
Published August 31st 2017 by University of Illinois Press

To ask other readers questions about Making an Antislavery Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making an Antislavery Nation

Start your review of Making an Antislavery Nation: Lincoln, Douglas, and the Battle over Freedom
Juan-Luis
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a must in every school in United States. The author draws with his writing a perfect scenario to give us a perfect resemblance about how slavery build the essential way to get a North America free.
Jason Park
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-in-2017, arcs
I received this book as an eARC courtesy of University of Illinois Press and NetGalley, but my opinions are my own.

Based simply on the subject matter, I expected to like this book a lot more. Although I'm not 100% sure why it didn't work for me, I suspect that it was the academic nature of the writing. I felt like I was reading a very well-done dissertation instead of an informative book on the history of the anti-slavery movement.

Also, I feel that this book misrepresents itself in two ways. Fir
Chris
May 18, 2019
James
Jul 12, 2019

• Accidental Presidents: Eight Men Who Changed America
  • Freedom's Detective: The Secret Service, the Ku Klux Klan, and the Man Who Masterminded America's First War on Terror
Graham A. Peck is a professor of History at Saint Xavier University in Chicago. He is the writer, director, and producer of Stephen A. Douglas and the Fate of American Democracy, an award-winning documentary that aired on PBS. His film, podcasts, and publications are available at civilwarprof.com.