Start by marking “Mass Casualty” as Want to Read:
Mass Casualty

Mass Casualty

4.64  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
With 12 years under his belt as a highly-regarded paramedic in Detroit, Bobbie Badger has seen it all. Despite a tragic loss that shattered his home life, he has remained a stoic guardian to the city, committed to saving lives.

Until someone, or something, chose him as a target.

As ominous warnings surface, and those closest to him begin to turn up dead, Badger’s only salvat
Published June 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Mass Casualty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mass Casualty

Kiera
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, romance, crime
Derek Adam's debut novel is a solid story set around the world of EMS. It follows paramedic, Bobbie Badger and his cocky partner, Hunter. Bobbie is losing his loved ones left, right and centre, he's dealing with marital issues and pile on top of that, the shitty shift he's having that day, he's on the verge of completely losing it.

Mass Casualty is fast paced, emotional and in some parts, hilarious. It's a well-executed story and I happily give it 5 stars.
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ARC gratefully received in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. Where to begin? Mass Casualty by Derek Adam has completely blown me away and sent me reeling. I absolutely loved it. It was fast paced, breath taking and made my heart race even long after I'd finished reading.

This book couldn't have fell into my lap at a better time. A couple of weeks ago I reached out to one of my favourite bloggers readers group for books with paramedic/EMT characters. While I got some great suggestions none of t
Tiffany
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a debut book from this author.
Let me tell you for this being his first book he killed it. The story is amazing, everything goes together like PB&J.
I can't wait to see what else this author has up his sleeve.
Virginie Plawecki-Illescas
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is Derek Adam's debut book and I had the pleasure to receive an ARC in exchange of my honest opinion.

The world of paramedic/EMT was totally new to me and I was a little skeptical at first glance. Boy was I wrong! Unlike most books, Derek Adam takes you on a roller-coaster ride of emotions starting with Chapter one. Through out the entire book, I went through laughter, love, lust, sadness, heartbreak, panic, fright, and much more.

This story is about Bobbie Badger's life as an EMT and takes
Amanda Sebring
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Provided an ARC copy and was not disappointed!

Derek Adam's debut is suspenseful and erotic. His dialogue pops and his characters are engaging. A tragedy in Bobbie Badger's past doesn't just haunt him, it flies directly in his face, setting the stage for the raw emotion and mounting tension throughout the story. Billed as an erotic thriller, Mass Casualty definitely fulfills that promise. This is not a read for the faint of heart!
A.J. Downey
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a dark read that plumbs the depths of one man's madness, an inspirational tale of a hero that doesn't view himself as such, the story of a relationship in peril and second chances, an action-packed thrill ride full of witty repartee, and a realistic view of what it's like to be a paramedic on the front lines. This is a haunting romance tale for you. The best part? After all of the intensity and going through the proverbial emotional ringer, Adams still manages to pull off a ...more
Misti  Long
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this the first time I have read this author, this happens to be the debut book. If this is the debut book I can't wait to read what this author has following. The way the characters jump off the page is what I love the most. I love being able to see them do clearly in my head and can imagine them having the banter going back and forth. I may also throw in an eye roll or a flip of the finger all on my own.

Hunter and Badger are laugh out loud characters. The way they kid one another a
Chantal  (iScream Books)
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was Derek's debut book into the indie author world and I must honestly say it was truly an amazing way to start! The book is suspenseful, hilarious, and informative. He writes with such passion about the medical field. This story is told through one person perspective,Bobby, and it goes over the span of a few days in his life.

Bobby (Badger) had always being an EMT and taking care of people in need. Until his life was forever changed and he can't stop thinking about the why her. His partner,
Virginia
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mass Casualty is different than the books I usually read but I am so glad I read it!

The characters in Mass Casualty are paramedics so we have medical issues and talk, emergency situations, and casualties. But we also have romance, drama, action, suspense, and some twists and turns. This book has it all!

It’s well written and the fast pace and action totally keep you on the edge of your seat and interested in the story. The dialogue between the characters is great and made me fall in love with the
Ashley
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new love for me! I am a big fan of the medical shows and now I have a medical book to love! This was a fast paced ride through 24 hours as an EMT. I loved seeing what happens to the main character through this novel. The plot was super exciting and the characters interesting. Can't wait for more from this author!!

I received an arc of this book and am voluntarily reviewing.
Tam
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE it, when a debut author knocks it out of the park with their first book. Adam swung for the fences, here, and put it into the next county! I adore medical thrillers, and Mass Casualty gave me everything I crave in a good one: Polarizing characters, a fast-paced plot, intense drama, engaging dialogue, captivating suspense, laugh out loud humor, emotional upheaval and some steamy romance thrown in for good measure. The sights, smells and sounds of trauma are written with a lush, tangible vi ...more
Cecily Wolfe
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fast pace and great dialogue with lots of emotion kept me intrigued with this emotional story focusing on paramedics, a field I know little about. The characters are believable, the humor well-placed, and the suspense compelling. When I was growing up, I loved the TV show Emergency (shows you how old I am) and this story reminded me of it - except for the sexy stuff, of course.
Melissa Parnell
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you did not know otherwise, you would not even be able to tell that this is a debut book from Derek Adam. From start to finish, this book is everything you are looking for in a romantic thriller.

I will not go into plot, because you definitely have to read it for yourself. I will just say at any given moment, reading this story, you can find yourself laughing, crying, wanting to throw your reading device and definitely gasping for breath at the thriller aspects to this story. This book is rea
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I sure wish I read this a whole lot sooner before now! I hate to say that this has been sitting on my to be read shelf since it released. Never again will any of Derek Adam's books every be sitting that long before I dive in. This story was packed full of intense action, extremely funny one liners that had tears rolling down my face and just enough steaminess to be considered a romance on top of the suspense. For this being a debut novel and author, he didn't disappoint! A great storyline that w ...more
Nikki
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well all i can say is for his first book Derek Adam has smashed it!
This story of EMTs Bobbie and Logan had me hooked from first to last page so easily!
The full story has a good few twists and turns that are completely unexpected and the emotions involved through out are a rollercoaster!
The banter and conversations between these two guys was so funny at lots of parts too.. everyone needs a friendship like these pair!
Would definitely recommend this suspense type thriller to everyone and will co
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: frat-brothers
The only reason I picked up this book was because the author is part of the R&E Frat of male romance authors and I'm trying to find one book that I really enjoy from each author to take to a signing. I read the summary for this story and scratched my head because I wasn't getting the romance vibe, just the thriller vibe (kind of James Patterson -ish). The book is part of the KU program, so I downloaded it.
Well I have to say, I was blown away by this author's debut book. I enjoyed this story
Renee Leigh
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Wow is pretty much a running theme for this book. It almost makes you feel like your right there in the middle of the action throughout. I never would have guessed that ending either! Can't say much else without spoiling, but definitely recommend!
Jessica
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-paperbacks
Derek, you Sir can write a freakin book! Holy crap was this book amazing! You know a book is good when you go from loving to hating to loving the author. I laughed out loud so hard and then had tears in my eyes! I cannot wait to see where this series goes, but I know I want more Hunter!
Deborah
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it. A fast paced, adrenaline fueled read about the life of an ambulance crew, this book had me at page one. Although there was a serious undertone to the storyline...comedy, mystery and love were all present. A great read!
Stacy Martin
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Mass Casualty and cannot wait to read more from author Derek Adam.
Very well written, page turning action and with characters that you want to read about again and again.
Lynda
I barely read two pages . I dislike hearing foul language but often can't do nothing about it. BUT a book using it – that is something I can do something about . I choose not to finish this book despite its many stars.
K.
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ARC Generously provided by The Author to a reader in a slump.

this book was great start to finish. Action packed with enough to keep you guessing. Badger and Hunter are the perfect partners. Very engaging and emotional. I am not afraid to say I cried at one point, while screaming "WHAT THE HELL?!" At others. It wasn't weighed down by the medical jargon that some books dealing with Hospitals or Medical dramas are. My heart felt for both Holly and Badger and their relationship. Logan Hunter, is wh
Amber Feist
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So many emotions, Raw Pure unfiltered REAL emotions rip through you as you read this book, Mass Casualty is a debute book for Author Derek Adam and most definitely an author to keep a watch on for more.
Bobbie is always catching the shifts with the most trauma in the Detroit area, He's got a great Partner who he couldn't imagine not having after 6 years together, they save lives, and live the rush of being an EMT.
Hollie is Bobbies wife and there is definitely trouble in Paradise they love each o
Shelly Reynolds
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I spent those months without you. I know what it's like not to have you close. That's not a life I want to live anymore."

What a great story! I loved the characters, the story line, the excitement, the suspense, the twists, the heartache, the humor (I love Hunter), just all of it!!

Bobbie Badger has been a paramedic for over a decade. He's seen it all - from the mundane transports, to the bad calls where he saved a life, to the calls for the ones that he couldn't save. His dedication to duty has
Sassy Southern
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bobbie Badger is an EMT and works hard at his job but lately is having some difficulty after the death of his daughter, Sarah. He has since separated from his wife Holly and is trying his best to keep it all together but things aren't easy.

Bobbie's partner, Logan Hunter, is worried about him and it looks like his bad day is about to get worse with call after call of bad events.

When Bobbie is the last person seen with his neighbor it looks like he may now be accused of murder and even getting wo
Cassie May
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Reviewed on behalf of 2 Girls Who Love Books Blog

This book wasn’t for me. Not because of the plot, because the storyline was actually rather capturing, but because of the writing style. I’m not one to judge an author by his/her gender, but I think this time the writing style was due to the author being male. It was too crude for my taste and some scenes were too farfetched for me to believe this is how anybody would react. I don’t want to spoil, so I won’t explain which scenes I meant. I’m just
Romaine Heart
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Mass Casualty is definitely a must read!!! A romantic comedy thriller. Sounds weird? It's the type of book that you won't forget!! So many raw emotions.
The author takes us on a journey into the lives of EMTs. The sacrifices, bad casualties, medical issues and the stress that these magnificent people deal with on a daily basis not including their real lifes.
After reading the first few pages, I knew I was hooked! The banter between Bobbie Badger and his partner, Hunter, is like fireworks on
Angi Burns ~Rabid Readers Book Blog
Mass Casualty: A Medical Thriller  by Derek Adam
Reviewed by Angi

As we all know I  had a freaking blast in Gettysburg meeting the Frat. I purchased so many books and added so many to my TBR list its unreal.

I consider myself a loyal reader and love to get to know my authors. This is why that weekend was so amazing. These #fratboys are now more than just a name on a page. I'm vested, not just in the story, but the men who wrote the stories. That being said I had such difficulty choosing where to
Kylie Abecca
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book seemed to be slow moving at first, but once I caught the rhythm of it I couldn't put it down.
I truly admired the way the author portrayed paramedics and the things they see and go through, not only on the job, but off duty. It really put things into perspective when Bobbie was on a particularly difficult call out whilst also struggling with his own demons and personal life. I felt completely emotionally and physically drained on his behalf. seemingly mundane things, such as being call
Megan Danielle
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved it!!!! 5 stars*****

You could obviously tell by the story that the author was formally or presently an EMT. This was a great read!! I couldn't put it down!! Kudos on your debut!!!!❤

Bobbie is an EMT and is stressed to the max ovet an occurrence that happened with his daughter Sarah( prom night turned tragic) He blames himself for her death.. As a result of losing his daughter, he loses himself on the process and also causes his wife to move out as well..
iI think this story will forever stick
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Derek is a retired Emergency Medical Professional and has been a lover of telling stories his entire life, having made the transition from “filthy liar” to “sexy author” about the same time silver hairs started showing up in his face (and other places.)

In the early days, he attempted to write science fiction and high fantasy, but discovered it was more fun to write about people touching other peop
More about Derek Adam

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“There are things we feel for certain people, and only they make us feel those things. This was one of those. More than a climax. Deeper than love. Indescribable. It drained me.” 1 likes
“It’s the biggest cowardice of a man to awaken the love of a woman without the intention of loving her back.” 0 likes