Start by marking “The King of Bones and Ashes (Witches of New Orleans, #1)” as Want to Read:
The King of Bones and Ashes (Witches of New Orleans, #1)

The King of Bones and Ashes

(Witches of New Orleans #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  1,163 Ratings  ·  204 Reviews
From the bestselling author of the Witching Savannah series comes the first book in a fascinating trilogy following the quest of a young witch to uncover her family’s terrifying secret history…

Magic is seeping out of the world, leaving the witches who’ve relied on it for countless centuries increasingly hopeless. While some see an inevitable end of their era, others are co
Published January 23rd 2018 by 47North

Amalia Gavea
I never thought that I would find finishing a book set in New Orleans, with a story that includes witches and voodoo traditions and everything such a chore...And yet, it happened. I prompted myself to finish it, I even bribed me with chocolate and ice cream and it was painful. And sad. And it lasted for about two months and a half. And not even watching Clayne Crawford in ''Lethal Weapon'' could make me feel better...

I won’t occupy your time with long paragraphs. All the problems I faced with th
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This book is what I like to call a slow stroll.  If you are patient, not in any hurry to get where you are going and just want to take in the scenery, then you will probably have the temperament needed to get to your destination.

I’m a pretty patient reader and so I’m fine with wandering around
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
5 Reasons To Read The King of Bones and Ashes:

Read the full review here on my blog.

Reason #1:
New Orleans!

YES YES YES YES!! I have never been to New Orleans myself, so this book was nothing short of an amazing trip. There's jazz. There's color. There are all the French names. There's tribute to the events of Katrina. There's even voodoo – and not your Hollywood scare, but the actual religion (I hope I'm using the right name!) Not to talk about all of the mythology around it! I was skeptica
Bonnie Shores
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: witches, supernatural
I hate to say it, but... This book was a huge disappointment after loving the author's Witching Savannah series. I have read many books that started off slowly and then took their time in order to tell an amazing story. Unfortunately, that is not the case here. I found this book to be boring and confusing and way too long.

description

I didn't feel that any of the characters were developed in any meaningful ways; therefore, I felt no connection to any of them. Not one. That would be okay in a fast-paced, plo
Sara
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, fiction
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is, at its heart, a family drama surrounding a coven of witches in the Deep South. Throw in a dash of magic, the bogeyman and the harvesting of dead witches and you've got yourself a good novel.

I enjoyed the three main protagonists, but especially Alice. We first find Alice locked away in an asylum for witches, haunted by the death of her brother by Babau Jean. She's a complex character, who's a little reserved at first, and
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I instantly felt that The Kings of Bones of Ashes was something I wanted to read and I was thrilled when I got the book to read and couldn't wait! And, the book was great. I was thrilled to read a book about witches set in New Orleans (and not a YA) and the premise of a story about witches that are slowly losing their magic felt refreshingly new.

The King of Bones and Ashes is the first book in the Witches of New Orleans and the book starts off with a young Alice Marin right before she is sent to
❀⊱Rory⊰❀
2.5 Stars

Celestin Marin, patriarch of the Marin family and former head of the powerful Chanticleer Coven has died after being in a coma for eight years. During his long illness his son Nicholas has been head of the coven and now is poised to take over permanently. But all is not well in New Orleans. Magic is dying and the scramble for what power remains pits the witches of the city against one another and some are willing to do anything rather than lose their magic.

I enjoyed J.D. Horn's The Line
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)

description
descriptionThis book had all the ingredients to be a 5-Star read for me. Fabulous setting (New Orleans). Mystery. Feuding families. Witches and magic. The Boogeyman (Babau Jean). Voodoo, etc. And I enjoyed it mostly, but unfortunately, it also had a few issues that kept me from giving it a higher rating. It was a LONG (and slow) book with multiple POVs and a HUGE cast of characters. So many that at times it became confusing and hard to follow. That said, I enjoyed it enough I will keep my eyes out for bo
Lauren Stoolfire
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Magic is leaving this world, making the witches who've relied on it forever absolutely helpless. Some are willing to accept it, while others are willing to do whatever it takes to stay in power. Alice is using her remaining power to solve the mysterious disappearances of those in occult circles of New Orleans. She knows the feeling as her family put in an asylum and she just recently got out. She's afraid that her family is connec
Sarah Marie
The King of Bones and Ashes by J.D. Horn

First in the Witches of New Orleans series

DNF- 1.5 stars

The King of Bones and Ashes is a novel that focuses on three witches within the New Orleans area. I was super interested in the premise behind this one because I'm from Louisiana and I always enjoy seeing authors' takes on this famous city. I really wanted to like this novel. I did, but I just felt so disconnected from it since the beginning. For me to want to read a novel, I have to make a connectio

Malina Skrobosinski
This is what I would definitely consider a 'slow burn'. There's so much going on in this book for there to be nothing going on at the same time. There were far too many characters in my opinion, and the storyline was very convoluted. This isn't typically the type of novel I would read, usually preferring thrillers, but an occasional story involving the supernatural realm isn't always a bad thing. That said, this wasn't quite the novel I thought it was going to be when I chose it.

The story cente
Kathrin
I received a free copy via NetGalley.

'The King of Bones and Ashes' is an urban fantasy series set in New Orleans. The story begins back in 2005 when Katrina devastated the town and the local witches try to prevent the worst. Unfortunately, almost everyone involved can tell that the magic is slowly dying away and that they are not strong enough anymore. And then there's Babau Jean, a boogeyman hunting young Alice.
Fast forward a couple of years, family ties are broken, friends become enemies and
Jeri
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books, first-reads
This book was just okay for me. Not a series I will continue with I don't believe. It took a lot to try to keep things straight as to what was going on, who was who and what the heck was happening! But I THINK I may have it straight now that I finished the darn thing. Still kinda makes me wanna say, "huh?"

I won an ecopy of this book from Goodreads First Reads program.
raquel
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, fantasy-ya
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This book is, in short, a mix of urban fantasy and gothic horror stories set in today New Orleans, with witches, vanishing magic, voodoo and the bogeyman + the most current family dramas. An entertaining beginning of a trilogy that I think witch’s lovers will enjoy.

Although I quite enjoy the three main characters (and consequent POVs) of the book, and especially Evangeline, there were times when I was completely lost due to the adding of new POVs and / or specific characters {I have to say that
Ali (the bandar blog)
This is a DNF review for me, but NOT because the book was bad. I DNF'd at 40%.

I very much liked the mysterious atmosphere and the implication of the witches' powers. I wanted to learn where everything was going and how all these different characters were going to tie together. I also really wanted to see more of what the witches could do. I enjoyed how the witches lives were represented in the book. It felt very authentic, as though this is what you'd expect to see if this was all real.

BUT... i
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
J.D. Horn begins a new series with The King of Bones and Ashes. Set in post-Katrina New Orleans, Horn introduces us to the Marin family, young, old, and not entirely alive. This is definitely an atmospheric, Southern gothic-tinged fantasy.

The Marins are part of the Chanticleer witches’ coven, and their magic is slowly but surely fading out. Those that still have some magic are forced to use drastic means to maintain what they have.

Since this is a new series, Horn must provide extensive world-bui
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
Me, after finishing:

Just throw out the blurb because it's a straight out lie. This was so terrible. It's like a soap opera but the most boring soap opera you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. There's no plot, no movement, no character growth. Alice, who seems to be the MC (of the three MCs), was an emotionless stick figure that didn't react to anything. I mean that honestly. There's a scene, at the end, with a mass murder. This happens in front of her. Her reaction is just to watch it and gentl
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the review copy in exchange for an honest review

Having seen the cover pass me by on Netgalley, I knew I had to request this one with a title like that. It screams of an atmospheric, dark, horror tale with perhaps some necromancy. While it did have some of these elements (but not the necromancy unfortunately) it did not quite manage to capture me. The biggest reason for that was how the story was told.

We get the story through three main female charact
Robin
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the description, this isn't a book I'd normally pick up. I usually go more for high and epic than I do for urban fantasy, but I gave it a chance because the plot sounded interesting.

This is a Gothic southern story about a family of witches in/around New Orleans and the mystery of magic seeping from the world. Horn gives us a fairly authentic vision of New Orleans amidst the plot and characters that stay with you long after the book is complete.

We get a huge cast of interconnected characte
Ali (the bandar blog)
This is a DNF review for me, but NOT because the book was bad. I DNF'd at 40%.

BUT... i
K.A. Wiggins
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: reviewing uncorrected digital proof via NetGalley

I'm not quite sure how to categorize this. There are pretty strong contemporary fiction leanings, what with the complicated, extraordinarily messy and interwoven multi-generational family dynamics. There's the paranormal/fantasy content, with witches, shapeshifters, and monsters lurking around the edges. Things skew from drama to thriller and right on into the realm of horror as the story progresses.

I found the first quarter really slo
Cupcakes & Machetes
I received this copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

You can also find this review at my blog: Cupcakes and Machetes

First off, I would really like to thank the author and publishing company for accepting my ARC request despite having zero street cred on Netgalley. I tip my invisible top hat to thee.

The story surrounds three witches from different walks of life, watching as witches disappear and the elders fight to hang onto power. Alice has been locked away in
Taylor
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an arc from netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

I'm not sure what to think if this book. I am a fan of gothic horror books, but this seemed a but weird to me. The story was disjointed and at times it seemed that even the main character was as confused as me.

People who like American horror story would like this book!
Missy Ansell
I got this book in exchange for an honest review from netgalley.

Told from the perspective of three woman, Evangeline, Lisette, and Alice. Book is about witches in New Orleans and how magic is failing. The three women are connected in order to stop the magical entity Babau Jean.

I found this book to be very slow paced and frankly boring. I kept waiting for it to pick up, and it never really did. Filled with too much family drama, and not enough magic. Some of the background was confusing. Did norm
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
I read the first 60 pages, and then gave up. The story jumped timelines and viewpoints a few times and was hard to follow. It felt disjointed, and this far in, I still don't see what direction the story is going in. It felt like too much work to continue trying to read it.
Elena
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it

This review can also be found on my blog!

The King of Bones and Ashes by J.D. Horn is a contemporary fantasy novel with modern-day witches living in New Orleans. It's power-hungry relatives and family feuds, it's dark corners of the French Quarter and monsters that should not see the light of day. The King of Bones and Ashes will fill your heart with magic and your brain with doubt and suspicion.

If you know me at all you know that I absolutely adore modern-day witches and stories with magic incor
Camilla (ReaderintheAttic)
The King of Bones and Ashes is that type of book that I rarely read but I still enjoy a lot. Also, it came in my hands while still in a period in which everything related to witches, occult and magic suits me in a magnificent way. Another thing is that there’re never enough book with witches written in a way that can really satisfy me.

The novel did and half and half, with something I liked and something I don’t. Plus some little details that left me a bit neutral.

Time to go on with what didn't t
Anne Monteith
I enjoy urban fantasy and southern gothic books.  I liked the first books of the authors Savannah Witches and series until he went too weird and was hoping that I would find that this was like the beginning of that series or maybe somewhat like Rice's Mayfair Witches series, but I was disappointed.

We start the book knowing that the witches are losing their power, yet despite that the coven has joined together to try and diver Katrina from totally destroying New Orleans.  The entire coven, from
Eddie Generous
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unnerving Magazine Review
Witches aren’t a go-to for me. They’re not something that seems to cross my radar as often as the other supernatural tropes, or perhaps it’s that my horror-experience has honed me away from them in such a way that I overlook them. No matter what’s the truth behind it, reading J.D. Horn’s latest novel, The King of Bones and Ashes, was something I couldn’t be totally prepared for.
Sure, there are assumptions there about the general points needing stroked in the overall noti
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
One of my favorite parts of J.D. Horn's Witching Savannah series was the beautifully written setting. In The King of Bones and Ashes, the first book in his new series, Horn bring the same magic to New Orleans as he did to Savannah. Lush and atmospheric, this story is an intriguing mix of urban fantasy and contemporary fiction that will keep you intrigued until the last page.

The King of Bones and Ashes is ultimately about family. Although magic is slowly disappearing from the world, the Marins ha
J. D. Horn is the author of the standalone dark fantasy Shivaree and the bestselling Witching Savannah series (The Line, The Source, The Void, and Jilo). The Witching Savannah series has been/is being translated into Russian, Polish, German, Spanish, Italian, French, and Romanian. He and his spouse, Rich, and their rescue Chihuahua Kirby, split their time between San Francisco and Palm Springs.

Witches of New Orleans (3 books)
  • The Book of the Unwinding (Witches of New Orleans #2)
  • The Final Days of Magic (Witches of New Orleans, #3)
“The illustration reminded her of student tattoo work—heavy in ambition, light on execution.” 0 likes
“The building’s double balcony offered her a moment’s protection from the worst of the deluge, but beyond its reach, the street had begun to flood, the gutter system failing to keep up with the generous sky.” 0 likes