Start by marking “The Warm Up” as Want to Read:
The Warm Up

The Warm Up

Originally published in the USA Today Bestselling HOT ON ICE: A Hockey Romance Anthology, this edition contains a bonus chapter!

Subzero. That’s what folks around the league call Constantine Zimin, hockey’s best defenseman. He’s unflappable. Stoic, even. No cracks in all that ice, not until he meets Suji Meriwether. The pediatric nurse has no time for bad-boy jo
ebook, 2
Published April 28th 2017 by Xio Axelrod LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Warm Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warm Up

Madison Warner Fairbanks
The Warm Up by Xio Axelrod

Hockey romance novella. Sexy and heartwarming.
Zim is a professional hockey player setting up a donation at a hospital. Suji doesn’t want her patients disturbed or exploited. The sparks between them can’t be ignored.

I really liked this couple. Zim is generous, humble, empathetic and kind. He likes Suji for her strength and commitment to her charges. Suji is not afraid to express her opinion and can’t resist the hot athlete.

I listened to the audio version,
Camille Adams
DNF at 45%

There is no story here and no characterisation.
Les Joseph
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audio review:

I am a HUGE audio book fan. Like so huge. And my normal MO when listening is that I read the book first. I'm not sure why, but I do. Not so in this case, and I have to say, I might just change the way I do things from now on. Greg Tremblay is one of my all time, most favorite narrators (and he's just lovely in person, too!) so I knew that I was going to already enjoy The Warm Up. And the fact that it's about a hockey player (which is my favorite sport!) just made it all the better.
InD'tale Magazine
“The Warm Up” is an easily digested story the reader can get through in one day.

Read full review in the 2017 October issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Kim
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Both Xio and I contributed stories to the bestselling, limited-run hockey romance anthology, Hot on Ice. Xio's short romance, The Warm Up, is now available as a standalone and it's definitely a must-read for her fans and a great intro to her writing for new readers.

Hockey hunk Zim and Sujarta have a meet-cute when she's on a girls night out with some friends. Things get hot and heavy, but their night is cut short. Of course they meet again unexpectedly and, despite Suja being standoffish, it's
InD'tale Magazine
This audio is a delicious mix of heartwarming, romantic and sexy romance with a sports theme that will make readers laugh and maybe even tear up a bit. The audio quality is perfection and the narrators, Megan Tusing and Greg Tremblay, are virtually perfect.

Read full review in the 2017 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
RaeLatte
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fresh and exciting hockey romance in the city of love, Philadelphia.

Suji wants to be in control of her life, will her family go along with the change in plans? She's strong and a force to be reckoned with.

Constantine is ready to break away from the mold he's been squeezed into. Will he find love?

It's time to spend a little time with the Stanley Cup and see how our hero conquers a life changing decision.

A spicy story that's witty and oh so hot!
Moon Love
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the book. It was nice to read about a bi-racial heroine. The only thing that put me off was how fast the attraction turned into love. It was quite quick, but that's to be expected in a novella that's only 100 something pages.

This was my first Xio Axelrod story. I look forward to reading more from her in the future!
Jordyn Kross
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This is my first book by this author and won't be my last. Suji and Zim's story was such an emotional tug of war. The selfless, dedicated, pediatric nurse meets the super-famous, sexy hockey player. Every time they were on the page together, I was glued to the story. The ending was nail-biting and adorable all at the same time. Exactly as a romance should be.
J.N.
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jns-2018-list
I particularly loved the male voice in this story. Xio does it so very well. I enjoy a good sports story and this was a quick shot I actually listened to on audio. Kudos to the voice actors, they nailed voicing a fun and sexy story. I could have used a stronger HEA (that's all I'll say so as not to give away any spoilers). All in all though, very entaining!
Carolina Pedreira
I liked the characters and the plot but towards the end felt like was missing something, better yet, the good chemistry between then got lost and the story didn’t progress the way it should so when I finished the book I was kinda disappointed.
J.R.
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Zim. #LOVE
Honestly didn't think Ms. Axelrod could top Duff from The Callum but . . . okay it's a tie. I seriously enjoyed this short from one of my very favorite authors. Can't wait to dive into her next work.
NhaughtyV says Damn the Zon Save the Reviews
Loved it!

*Full Review Soon*
Ida Louise
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not a hockey fan, don’t worry, you will still enjoy Zimi and Suji’s story. He is a champion hockey player with 24 hours with the trophy and she’s a nurse, who doesn’t what her hospital ward to become a media circus. After a casual meeting, they find themselves on opposite sides of the grant the hospital so badly needs. Emotions and feelings run high in this quick and enjoyable read.
Misty Walker
Part of a Series: No
POV: Suji and Zim
Steam Level: warm
5/5

I read this book in the Hot on Ice Anthology and it was a great conclusion to the stories. Zim is a private person which is hard since he just won The Cup. Soji is dedicated to her job and has been hurt before by love. The sparks and build up in Suji and Zim's relationship is the perfect mix of sweet and sexy. The story was heartfelt and humorous. The kids in
Kristin
Jun 02, 2017
Angel
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Axelrod's Zim is such a Hero, literally. He's one of my most favorite book boyfriends! Suji and Zim's chemistry just flies off the page, and the individually backstories are crafted well!!!

Great read!!
Laylah
Feb 15, 2019
Jul 14, 2017
Terry Hammoutene
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zin was on the Cajun Ragins who won the cup. He took the cup back to his hometown on his day with it. He decided he wanted to open a safe place for families to go when a child was sick and stuck in the hospital he wanted to call it Milo's room. This is for his sister, of course the head nurse doesn't want some hockey player jock coming in her ward and upsetting the children, not knowing the meaning behind this.
Suji has her own problems in life but at her young age she made it in life. She
Becky Collins
Jun 17, 2017
Michelle
Sep 09, 2018
Carrie
Mar 09, 2019
Cc
Apr 26, 2017
Xio Axelrod is a USA Today bestselling author of different flavours of contemporary romance. She also writes what she likes to call strange, twisted tales. Xio grew up in the music industry and began recording at a young age. When she isn’t writing stories, she can be found in the studio, writing songs, or performing on international stages (under a different, no-so-secret name). She lives in Phil ...more