Start by marking “Reality: Part 1 of Mental Damnation” as Want to Read:
Reality: Part 1 of Mental Damnation

Reality: Part 1 of Mental Damnation

Having her family murdered by the humans during her people’s banishment from the surface world, Krista and her only friend, Darkwing, struggle to remain alive. The pair of reptilian street scum live in their newfound home, the City of Renasence, dictated by a fascist military known as the Renasence Guard. The two find themselves at odds when Krista puts her faith in the Fi ...more
Paperback, 2nd, 384 pages
Published April 19th 2017 by Reveal Books (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Reality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reality

Start your review of Reality: Part 1 of Mental Damnation
Joshua Grant
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mental Damnation: Reality by Konn Lavery is a book that offers plenty of food for the imagination. Its setting is unique. The deep City of Renascence is crawling with danger and intrigue as is the plot that takes place there. Two friends are split by their beliefs as they are forced to navigate street gangs, a growing dictatorship, and a mysterious evil disease. Both well-written and well thought out, Mental Damnation is an instant classic and I can’t wait to see what happens next!
Julie Hiner
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this story!!!

There were many things I loved about this book. I will describe three of them: The World, The Characters, The Action.
The World - The author, Konn, has created a unique, imaginative world in which the story takes place. He describes intricately the different parts of the world. I felt like I was in the world, experiencing it myself.
The Characters - I loved the characters. All of them. Konn has created absolutely relatable, believable characters. I cared about them all. I felt
Natasha Quantz
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book really got my attention. Character descriptions where so exquisitely done that I could easily picture and feel who they where. Fantastic Author as well. I look forward to getting book two. Told friends as well to read his books.
Sarah Coleman
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story very much so. It had a well-thought out premise with plenty of extremely interesting characters. The main character was increasingly fascinating and I never found myself wanting to quit reading the story. I finished it all rather quickly and would definitely recommend this book to others wanting to try this author out.

Sheri
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mental Damnation: Reality

Krista, a young Reptilian and her people have been banished to the Underworld by man. She and her friend Darkwing fight for survival. Their leaders are infected by an illness known as Mental Damnation. The fallen leaders, interested in Krista's innocence attempt to infect her with the disease. They also want to take her to Dreadweave Pass, which pretty much is hell. Will Krista and Darkwing be able to fight them off and save themselves, or will they be doomed to dwell in
Amber
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Konn Lavery has taken me into his mind and carried me on a richly woven tapestry of metaphors for the human condition. Beginning his tale with a comprehensive explanation of the world you are about to enter, His story is intricately laid out on a backdrop of history wrapped in legend and tied off with a myth.
whether you're looking for a dark ride exploring the labyrinth of the psyche, or just looking for a good fantasy novel with relatable characters, this book will take you six layers deep.
I go
B Diane
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like your fantasy intermixed with horror, I recommend Mental Damnation: Reality. It is a tale of survival, both physical and mental, set in an intricately constructed world.

The digital copy includes stunning original artwork that adds further realism to the world which author Lavery has created.

Can Krista survive Mental Damnation?
Bev
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not the usual type of book that i tend to read. The story has a good storyline, the characters are interesting.I give this book 5/5 stars.
Taija Morgan
May 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. At the time of reading it, I was playing a little Skyrim, which complemented the reading experience nicely since both include an oppressed reptilian culture. The book's main protagonist, Krista (full name Kristalantice Scalebane), is a "vazelead" which is to say she's a reptilian creature subjugated by humans. The book starts out with some good action, with Krista's inciting incident (which I won't spoil here). She meets a male vazelead named Darkwing (later a member of ...more
Dawn Hebert
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Konn's work for a long time. And let me tell you, I am amazed at the amount of work that went into the 2nd edition. The characters are so much more in depth then what they were before and I love that there a minor plots changes that have filled some holes. I dont feel that it was as rushed as the 1st edition. Like it gave more information and made more connection between characters. ...more
jennet wheatstonelllsl
girl can take on the hard men of
Selina
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing story! I can't wait to read the rest of the series! ...more
Katie
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In pure fantasy fiction style, Konn Lavery offers up a new world with Mental Damnation: Reality. In this story we meet Krista, a type of lizard humanoid who is trapped in the Underworld after her people were banished there by the humans. The world of the vazeleads, Krista’s reptilian people, is not unlike one of our primitive societies. In this culture the powerful control the weak, and Krista is certainly weak. When we first meet her, she is raped, an event that must be common in this culture a ...more
Del
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is amazing! I found myself intrigued from the very beginning, and not once did i find myself bored for any reason. Some authors load their books with filler, but Konn Lavery is not one of those authors. The story flowed nicely and i was a big fan if the dark underworld setting. I did notice quite a few-but not enough to be annoying-spelling mistakes, and i found that Krista had a tendancy to repeat herself or babble on about nothing. But overall, the book was amazing and i can't wait ...more
Caedy  Eries
I like premise of the story, and definitely did like the book and the storytelling within it.

Due to back log, full review pending.
B
Shakira
Apr 22, 2017
Izeum
Oct 27, 2017

• Feral Hearts (The Chronicles of Zaloria Book 1)
  • Banished (Street Rats of Aramoor, #1)
  • Hurricane (Street Rats of Aramoor, #2)
  • The Italian Heartthrob (The Italians #1)
  • Rockslide (Street Rats of Aramoor: Book 3): A Coming of Age Fantasy Series
  • The Haunting of Sunshine House (Ghosts of Los Angeles #1)
  • House of Secrets (House of Secrets, #1)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
  • Battle of the Beasts (House of Secrets, #2)
  • Clash of the Worlds (House of Secrets, #3)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)
  • Endsinger (The Lotus Wars, #3)
  • Her Warrior (The Royal Shifters, #4)
  • Midnight in the House of Lang
  • Darkness Rising
  • The Scarab Beetle: Books 1-4 (The Scarab Beetle #1-4)
  • The White Tower (The Aldoran Chronicles #1)
Konn Lavery is a Canadian author whose work has been recognized by Edmonton’s top five bestseller charts and by reviewers such as Readers’ Favorite, and Literary Titan.

Konn's Latest Release
A B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree
‘Filled with murder, mayhem, and uncanny,
the award-winning Lavery’s unsettling latest takes readers on a thrilling journey into grit and horror.’
★★★★★ The Prairies Book Review