Start by marking “Waterbugs and Dragonflies: Explaining Death to Young Children” as Want to Read:
Waterbugs and Dragonflies: Explaining Death to Young Children

Waterbugs and Dragonflies: Explaining Death to Young Children

How can we answer the many questions young children have about death? Looking for a meaningful way to explain to neighbourhood children the death of a five year old friend, Doris Stickney adapted the graceful fable about the waterbug that changed into a dragonfly. First published under the title "Death" in 'Colloquy' (December 1971), the story was revised and expanded in 1 ...more
Published September 26th 2002 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published August 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Waterbugs and Dragonflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waterbugs and Dragonflies

Start your review of Waterbugs and Dragonflies: Explaining Death to Young Children
Kerrie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
...and a timely, gentle reminder for adults.
Susannah
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book. See my full review here-
Claire Lyons
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful - will be reading this at our sons funeral
Clare Cannon
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 04-8yrs, non-fiction
Such a beautiful book, the best we have come across for explaining death to young children. The main story is not exactly spiritual but is an allegory of life that is compatible with Christianity, the notes and scripture references that follow the story explain its symbolism.

The waterbugs notice that every so often, one of their number decides to walk up the stem of a water lily above the surface of the water, and they never return. They make a group decision that the next one to go up the stem
Jessica
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
With a much loved family member slowly slipping away from us, I needed help explaining death to my kids, ages 10, 7, and 4. A friend who has suffered losses recommended this book and Tear Soup.

Simplistic in it's ideas, this children's book illustrates the change that happens with death, keeping in line with our beliefs that death is not an ending at all and that we will be reunited. But there is a separation. And sometimes those left behind just don't understand.

I think this book will be of mos
Barb
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-ya
Talking about death is never easy; talking about death with children is awful. I liked this book for its simplicity and yet a possible explanation of what happens next without getting into heaven/religious grown-up speak. I was pleasantly surprised at the feeling I had for the dragonfly when he realized that he could not return as promised to tell everyone what happened. Could this be confusing for kids? Perhaps, because the dragonfly didn't die nor really did the water bug; it changed and becam ...more
Shirley
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
While not told on a spiritual level, this story can be adapted to explain to children, whether with a religious context or not, the concept of death and moving on.

What I like about this story is the simplicity of the concept. It is not complex and allows children to visualize the similarities between humans and the characters in this short story. There is a section at the back to guide parents/caregivers through explaining death in a more spiritual manner, if desired. Overall, it is a wonderful
I was disappointed by this book. I think partly because I had to wait a long time to get a copy of it and had high expectations. The book itself looks very self-published. And the text was in a cheesy Comic Sans font. To me it was not a "gentle" explanation of death for children. I felt it was too vague, especially for very young children. Also it really presents a christian perspective on an afterlife and doesn't necessarily deal with the death itself.
Marcia
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
A fable that explains death to children using water bugs who transform to dragonflies. The idea is that dragonflies can never return underwater to visit the water bugs, just as one who has died cannot return to life. I didn't like it at all, I don't think it works as a fable and think it will confuse kids. I'm surprised it was on many recommended reading lists for books that help children deal with death.
Genaphur
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever come across on how to explain death to small children. It's a story book to read to them and it has a nice little questions answers section in the back to further help explain how the child might be feeling with the lose of a loved one.

I got this book for Rory when her grandpa died last year and I think it helped me just as much as it helped her. This is one book I will hand out over and over.
Amy Cottrell
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is a very simple parable explaining death to children. Interesting and clever but not particularly relatable for my children. I don't think they understood very well. This might work better if my children were a little older.
Kristi
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Purchased for my nieces, but read it before I mailed it to them. A simple & sweet story that provides comfort and understanding after the passing of a loved one. I highly recommend this book to anyone, any age. ...more
Hazel
Apr 10, 2010 marked it as recommended-for-meredith
Recommended by a colleague. This uses insect metamorphosis as a parable for death.
Paula
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This book brings tears to my eyes when ever I read it. It puts things in perspective. I have such a new respect for dragonflies.
Jennifer Lindsay
My sponsor recommended this book to me. It's about explaining death to young children but adults will appreciate and love it too.
Tyana Gonzales
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the simplicity of this book. It explains death in such a beautiful way that is easier for children to understand.
Lisa Ransom
May 07, 2015
Katherine Rieder
Jan 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Summer at Rose Island (White Cliff Bay #3)
  • Paw Tracks in the Moonlight
  • Girls on the Home Front (Factory Girls #1)
  • The Bomb Girls’ Secrets (The Bomb Girls #2)
  • Shipyard Girls at War (Shipyard Girls, #2)
  • Shipyard Girls in Love (Shipyard Girls #4)
  • Out of Practice (The Larkford Series #1)
  • Heroes on the Home Front (Factory Girls #2)
  • Christmas with the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #7)
  • Triumph of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #8)
  • Secrets of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls, #3)
  • Down to Earth: Green Behind the Ears
  • Wedding Bells on the Home Front: A heart-warming story of courage, community and love (Factory Girls Book 3)
  • Down To Earth: It's Better Than Work
  • Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
  • John Bishop: How Did All This Happen?
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years