Start by marking “The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)

The Tea Dragon Society

(Tea Dragon #1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  39,805 ratings  ·  8,825 reviews
From the award-winning author of Princess Princess Ever After comes The Tea Dragon Society, a charming all-ages book that follows the story of Greta, a blacksmith apprentice, and the people she meets as she becomes entwined in the enchanting world of tea dragons.

After discovering a lost tea dragon in the marketplace, Greta learns about the dying art form of tea dragon car
Published October 31st 2017 by Oni Press (first published October 18th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Tea Dragon Society, please sign up.
Ve They're all so cutee aaa but I love Rooibos the most, Ginseng comes a close second…moreThey're all so cutee aaa but I love Rooibos the most, Ginseng comes a close second(less)
Breanna Aside from Aquicorn Cove and Princess Princess Ever After - Pilu of the Woods by Mai Nguyen, the Luke Pearson Hilda books, and The Courageous Princess…moreAside from Aquicorn Cove and Princess Princess Ever After - Pilu of the Woods by Mai Nguyen, the Luke Pearson Hilda books, and The Courageous Princess books by Rod Espinoza are all great and include doses of cute animals along with their fantasy.(less)

·  39,805 ratings  ·  8,825 reviews

Start your review of The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
Melanie

Friends, this was the literally cutest and most heartwarming book I’ve read all year. Also, the art in this book is probably my favorite art style of all time. I recommend this with my entire heart and soul.

This story is broken down into five parts; one for each season and then an epilogue. And during Spring, an apprentice blacksmith, Greta (who is getting trained by her m
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, owned
I was NOT expecting the cute! This was so sweet and immersive. Where can I find my own tea dragon?

What a delight to read, definitely a new favourite and I'll be rereading this forever.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the sweetest and I am desperate to have a tea dragon of my own. The cutest little things!!!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
2019 -

"Memories don't just live inside you, Minette. They live in all the people and objects you share your life with."

2018 - hello this is the best little book in the whole entire universe can i please have 20 more books set in this world plz
s.penkevich
Jun 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
You should probably drop everything you are doing and read this. Seriously. Tell your boss I said it was alright. This is an overload of adorableness in both the story and artwork that just demands to be enjoyed. The Tea Dragon Society is a quick read, but it will reverberate for a long, long time. O'Neill does such excellent work with world building, creating this cozy society full of cute dragons that grow tea on themselves (drinking it allows you to experience the past memories of the tea mas ...more
Brittany
THE CUTEST BOOK IVE EVER READ. From pursuing your passions to respecting the passions of others, to caring for each other and your pets!! I’m dumbfounded by how much I loved this and am so so happy I picked it up.
Gavin Hetherington
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute and wholesome omg!!! Read it in like 15 minutes and I just wish it was 7 hours longer - I love the vibes from this one, it’s so down to Earth and dreamy and cosy and whimsical and wonderful. What a beautiful little story. Illustrations were stunning too, really added more to the story!
daph pink ♡
Jul 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
OMG THIS WAS SOO CUTE AND PLEASING AND AESTHETIC AND BEAUTIFUL.

My feelings ⬇️💕

pre review

reviewers say this is the cutest thing they have ever read ~ well time to find out!

Can't believe I haven't read this book yet when every other day it pops up in my GR feeds.
Jean Menzies
5 stars every time.
destiny ♡ howling libraries
This is literally one of the best graphic novels I've ever read in my life. I can't even begin to express how much I cherished these precious characters, the sweet dragon babies, and the incredible range of representation. We have normalized QPOC rep all over the place (I mean, I'm not sure if anyone here is cishet and I'm so here for it), disability rep that is so beautifully done it made me cry, and I just loved the entire story endlessly. I know I'll be recommending this to anyone and everyon ...more
Steph
i want to live inside this book!!!

i'm a sucker for warm, sweet, adorably-illustrated graphic novels, and the tea dragon society is the pinnacle of the genre. the story is charming, and the art is unbelievably cute!!

it's a short book, and divided into four chapters according to season. it feels nice and earthy.

our main character, greta, has loving blacksmith parents (who are both semi-androgynous, which is cool). greta is learning to smith, and she stumbles onto the practice of raising tea dragon
human
(3.5/5)

AAAAAHHHHHH. THIS WAS SO CUTE. I DEFINITELY UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE LOVES THIS NOW.

Just, two things:

First, I felt that there wasn't much to the story? The further I got into the book, the more frantically I was hoping that there was going to be something that gave it a little more, I don't know, anything. By the time that I had finished, it felt really insubstantial.

Like, yeah, sure, the art is adorable and there's an incredible amount of unforced diversity, but there was nothing moving
Rue
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 5-star
I desperately need a tea dragon. Like right now!!😭
IMG-20201105-091420
Mrinmayi
*3.5 ✨

BUT the good news is that Sid LOVED this book!!

SHE WANTS TO READ MORE BOOKS!!!!
I see this as progress!!! If you are not aware...one of my 2021 goals is to convert her into a bibliophile lmao

As for the book..
I did like it...It was a good middle-grade book
BUT I had some high expectations
This author's other book Princess Princess Ever after is one of my all-time fav
The artwork in this was STUNNING
BUT I found it difficult to connect to the characters
I know this is supposed to be a fluffy and
Warda
I’m not sure how to rate this.

The story needed… more.

I get that it’s middle grade, but it was far too simplistic and straightforward for my liking. I learned more about the Tea Dragons in the handbook that was included at the end of the book than what was told to us in the story.
I wish it was actually incorporated into the story.

The art was gorgeous and rich. But the story needed more development.
 Teodora
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am in a dear need of my own tea dragon!!
ally
Feb 07, 2022 rated it really liked it
my only complaint is that i wish she were longer :,)
can’t wait to read the other 2
Dave Schaafsma
7/21/18 update: The Tea Dragon Society is the winner of the 2018 Eisner Award for Best Publication for kids 9-12! Yay, Katie O'Neill!

12/14/17: I admit I have not yet read Princess Princess Ever After, also from Katie O’Neill (I know! Where was I when the fairy dust was handed out?!). But I am on the bandwagon at last, following the story of blacksmith apprentice Greta in the world of tea dragons (What do you mean you don’t know what a tea dragon is?!). Well, you like tea parties, right?! And you
sarah
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Memories don't just live inside you, Minette. They live in all the people and objects you share your life with.”

What a sweet, wholesome read!

At the surface this book is stunning, beautiful, gorgeous- all of the adjectives. But within the pages, similar, if not greater, beauty can be found.

In so few pages, this book presented and explored important topics in a simple and yet thorough way.

This is such a perfect book for younger readers. But for me personally, I felt that it was too short and w
Whitney Atkinson

I loved this!! So gorgeous and sweet, can't wait to own my own copy :)
Bhavya

~ Rating- 3 stars ~

Content / Trigger Warnings-
Minor Blood Depiction, Physical Injuries, Minor Violence, Paralysis

-No Mention of these in the review-

The Tea Dragon Society, by Kay O'Neill was a sweet read. It doesn't really have a plot, and the characters are a bit shallow, but the illustrations were really beautiful. I don't have much to say, and there's nothing to really
Reading_ Tamishly
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Have you read something which you find yourself muttering 'so cute!' for every page you read?

Well.....
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I think this is one of the cutest things I've ever read, right up there with the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic comics. THE TEA DRAGON SOCIETY is set in a fantasy universe filled with magical creatures. The heroine, Greta, is a goblin blacksmith with a black cat familiar and her friend, Minette, is some sort of unicorn/fawn prophetess. The two of them end up joining a gay couple, Hesekiel and Erik, who take care of tea dragons.

Tea d
Dannii Elle
First Read: May 2020, Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Second Read: December 2021, Rating: 5/5 stars

The pastel-tones of this artwork and adorable features of each character ensured I was going to enjoy this one, but the diverse cast and heart-warming story-line cemented it. There's three things I need in my life, right now:

- This artwork printed and plastered across all of my walls.
- My very own baby tea dragon to love and protect.
- A nice cup of tea!
ALet
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was so special!
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it so much. I was literally in tears because of how precious and beautiful the story and artwork are.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, and I will be reading it again and again!

(My only complaint would be that, I think it could have been much longer. I read it in about 30 minutes!)
aphrodite
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this was the cutest story with great rep, the most beautiful art style, and adorable dragons

pls if someone could direct me towards the nearest rooibos I would much appreciate it
l.
The Tea Dragon Society is entirely too lovely and wonderful and wholesome for this world, my heart is soft. 🥺🌿🌸✨
Calista
This is a cute Middle grade graphic novel about Tea Dragons. Tea Dragons are small counterparts to full size dragons and they can't take care of themselves. They also grow tea leaves out of their heads like Chamomile or Ginseng, etc. These leaves are special and magic.

The art is lovely and a little like anime. The story is good and simple. I wanted more development. I did enjoy this little read.

I would like to see more of this world.
Silvia
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: webcomic, pride-recs
This has to be the cutest thing I've ever read ...more

• Princess Princess Ever After
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • Mooncakes
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • The Girl from the Sea
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • The Sprite and the Gardener
  • Dewdrop
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Fence, Vol. 2
See top shelves…
Kay O'Neill is an illustrator and graphic novelist from New Zealand. They are the author of Princess Princess Ever After, The Tea Dragon Society, Aquicorn Cove, and more. They mostly make gentle fantasy stories for younger readers, and are very interested in tea, creatures, things that grow, and the magic of everyday life.

On an Instagram post 17th December 2020 the author shared that they use they

Tea Dragon (3 books)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)

News & Interviews

With more than 5.7 million votes cast and counted, the 14th Annual Goodreads Choice Awards are now official. Launched in 2009,...
“Memories don't just live inside you, Minette. They live in all the people and objects you share your life with.” 88 likes
“I want to keep making things for people to love and give them a good story. Maybe one day, someone'll look at a piece I made, and think about who gave it to them... Or where they bought it. Or who owned it before. Isn't that kind of a magic?” 5 likes