Start by marking “Bright Thrones (Court of Fives, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Bright Thrones (Court of Fives, #2.5)

Bright Thrones

(Court of Fives #2.5)

From World Fantasy Award finalist Kate Elliott comes a thrilling companion novella that links Poisoned Blade and Buried Heart, the finale of the enthralling Court of Fives series.

Bettany has always been an outsider in her family: the angry one, the wild one, the daughter who refused to accept the dominance of her Patron father’s people over her Commoner mother’s. When her
Published June 27th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bright Thrones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Thrones

Justine
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, novella
A very good novella that provides some of the missing story of what happened to Bettany after she was separated from her family. Also, it gives much more insight into the whole relationship between her and Lord Agalar. Definitely worth reading.
Robyn
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A series novella that manages to utterly transform the events of the previous novel. Can't wait to see how this all ties together.
Girl
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Well, it was better than the previous novella (*shudder*) and Court of Fives vol. 2. And I think I would enjoy a Bettany novel a lot more than I do the Jessamy ones (sports... zzz.)

It's nice to have a little more light shed on Bettany's actions. She's a really fun character, resourceful and clever.

But the romantic subplot, eh.
Leseparatist
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, owned
I liked Bettany more than I like Jess.

I liked the anger, although I have to say "rash and angry" is a look I've seen in so many of Elliott's protagonists I'm sort of more interested in seeing "wise and slow and secretly angry" for a change.

I don't think the romantic subplot was necessary or worked well - it felt obligatory and caused by the source material and generic rather than organic.

I really disliked the distribution of information. The parts that are withheld and given. The connection bet
Cas
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great insight into Bettany’s life

During the main three books in the Court of Fives series, we aren’t told all that much about Jessamy’s twin other than the fact that she contrasts greatly with them all. This novella helps readers see who Bettany is as a person, and why she decided to leave her family behind.
Bitchin' Reads
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
In Bright Thrones, Bettany is able to find a place in the world and a somewhat unsure yet promising direction in life.

Overall, I wasn't wowed by this novella. It filled in some backstory for Poisoned Blade, especially regarding Lord Agalar and Bettany and what was going on with them, but I was left wanting a bit more. With Night Flower, the other novella, I was enraptured, enchanted, and I felt that their (Jes and Bett) parents' love story was expressed in such an admirable, endearing, and fulfi
Jenevieve
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Review first posted on My Blog.

The story of Bettany and what happened to her after her family's fall from grace and then after she runs into her twin, Jessamy. Bettany was taken to the mines but managed to show that she could be more useful to Lord Agular as a scribe and assistant but she also realizes that he is not exactly what he appears to be either and that maybe they can help each other.

It was interesting to see more of what happened with Bettany since she was the only sister who was separ
Margaret
Bright Thrones is especially nice because it fills in what happened to Jessamy's twin sister Bettany after the bad guys (as it were) came for Jessamy's mother & sisters and Bettany had been ordered by their mother to go with the former servants to the mines, to do whatever she could to make their lot easier.

When Bettany got and the others arrived at the mines, she met a doctor and her life changed.
The last time Bettany's & Jessamy's paths crossed, each thought that they were in a positio
Georgina
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Oh, Bettany. Such righteous anger! I am glad that she was not the heroine of the whole series because I find her a little tiresome, although she does salvage herself by trying hard and having high standards for herself as well as for others. I wished I understood the doctor's character better. He was not as well developed. Indeed, I think that all the characters in this novella were not as well developed as the ones in the main three Court of Fives books. I give Elliott props for having a trans ...more
Kathryn Heavenissmilingabove
A nice glimpse into Bettany's story

I'm sure Ms. Elliott could write a whole series on the story between Bettany and Agalar. In a way, I wish she would. I've enjoyed the Court of Fives novels so much. Bettany's anger threatens to swallow her whole - or so it seems to the rest of her family, but Agalar understands it is just a front for her sense of justice and compassion. She finds a way to save those she loves with great risk to herself and help from Agalar. The world created within this series
Todd Ross
This is a nice little novella that looks at the events of the 2nd novel from Bettany's point of view. It doesn't really add a new layer to anything or make me think about the characters any differently. But it was a nice little footnote filling in a few details in the overall story and some character motivations.

I like the new trend several authors have adopted with releasing short stories like this more frequently that fill in gaps in their larger stories. Brian McClellan is someone who does th
Claire
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an ebook that sits around the events of Poisoned Blade, telling some of what happened to Bethany. It does stand alone but it really helps if you have read at least the first book in the series.

I was a little dubious as I hadn't been wild about Night Flower, the previous e novella, much as I love Kate's work. However this one was much more to my taste, probably because I didn't already know how events would pan out for Bethany. In fact I want more Bethany please when the main story is don
Jailyn
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
This novella follows Bettany as she is taken from her house and sent to slave camps at the mines to work herself to death. She's saved from that fate by her wits and the kindness of Lord Agalar, a traveling, world-renowned doctor, doing research at the mine.

Bettany learns to overcome her anger and channel it into helping others and finding peace. She still doesn't understand her twin, nor does her twin understand her, but she is able to find peace with what has happened to her family.
Colleen
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Could have been named "Spoiled Brat gets her Comeuppance"
She is a spoiled brat who hates everything about the world she was raised in and becomes angry with anyone who has the audacity to try to find happiness or joy in that world. Putting her in a completely different world was the only way to get her to do anything but sit in a room yelling about how much the world has wronged her. I still don't like her but I do think better of him.
Sara Norja
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great look deeper into Bettany's character! I really enjoyed this novella - a good way of gearing myself up to read the final novel in the trilogy. Elliott manages to be nuanced even in this shorter length, and it was especially great to get a different perspective on things from someone who isn't Jes.
Heather
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Suzi
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
Oh, it's good to see why (THE HELL) Bettany is who she is, and how certain things in Poisoned Blade came about. I'm still pretty mad at her! But thank you, Kate Elliott, for the filling in. Can't wait for the final book!
Danielle
Insight

Books like this one allow readers to have a bit more character with a character. It provides a better understanding of who a certain person is and how they got to where they are in the actual book series. I'm liking Lord Agalar more now that I have this little insight.
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit misleading to call this 2.5 since it occurs during the events of book #2.

It fills out Bettany some more, although I still don't feel like I know her.
Kiwi Carlisle
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was good to get Bettany's side of her story. This is an exciting, romantic novella I wish I'd found sooner, and definitely worth your time to read.
Heather Romanowski Book Realm Revisions, LLC
A good novella on what happens to Bettany after Poisoned Blade.
kwolf
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick, little peek into Bettany's mind. Enjoyable, although not necessary for the series.
Larissa Campos
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So glad I read. It's so satisfying to know why Bett chose as she did!
Aimee
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Athena
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, another wonderful addition to the series!
Jesse Nicholas
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books, fantasy
I love novellas! They are great fillers for certain characters or storylines that just won't get the closure they deserve in a series. Bright Thrones does just that with Bettany, Jes' sister. I'm glad to say that I have become a huge fan of hers. Glad to get her POV.

Super pumped for the finale of this series now!!
Hansworth
Oct 25, 2017
Jen
May 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Silver Kings (The Silver Kings, #3)
  • The Glass Slipper
  • The Girl in the Gray Sweatshirt (Immortal Game, #0.5)
  • Dark of the Sun (Saint-Germain, #17)
  • Roses in Amber: A Beauty and the Beast story
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • Unleashed (Unremembered, #2.5)
  • Earth 2788 (Earth Girl, #0.25)
  • The Beautiful and the Cursed: Marco's Story (The Dispossessed, #1.5)
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Into the Garden (Dividing Eden #0.5)
  • The Bitter Twins (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #2)
  • Those Who Lived (Fallen World, #3.5)
  • Queen of Ashes (Blood of Gods and Royals, #0.6)
  • Portrait of a Donor (Starters, #1.75)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • The Heir Apparent (The Internment Chronicles, #2.5)
  • BZRK: Origins (BZRK, #0.5)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely

Court of Fives (3 books)
  • Court of Fives (Court of Fives, #1)
  • Poisoned Blade (Court of Fives, #2)
  • Buried Heart (Court of Fives, #3)