Start by marking “The Future” as Want to Read:
The Future

The Future

(The MIT Press Essential Knowledge)

How the future has been imagined and made, through the work of writers, artists, inventors, and designers.

The future is like an unwritten book. It is not something we see in a crystal ball, or can only hope to predict, like the weather. In this volume of the MIT Press's Essential Knowledge series, Nick Montfort argues that the future is something to be made, not predicted.
Published December 8th 2017 by The MIT Press

To ask other readers questions about The Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future

Carlos Silva
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first review on Goodreads and I was led to do it after reading some of the reviews to this book. I have to say that the author states right in the beginning that the book is not an history of futurology, there's plenty of other books on that and Nick Monfort even points you to the right references for that. Thus, there's no reason for the reader to though otherwise.

This is an academic work from an academic writer and, taking that into account, I can fairly say that it's a pleasure to
MJ Nicholls
Another terrific notch in MIT Press’s tremendous ‘Essential Knowledge’ belt, this one concerns how various people past, from Futurist-fascists to Internet Pioneers, sat on their rumps and scripted our presents and futures.
Tom Scott
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting philosophical book with each chapter exploring different facets on how the future has been, and is today, thought about by visionaries, artists and the general public. The writing was a little uneven as if each chapter had been written at different times and for other purposes. But it thematically held together and there were enough nuggets of fact and ponderings to keep my mind noodling for (wait for it... wait for it) the foreseeable future.
Yates Buckley
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: curious
I like the writing style but found the book inconsistent with its treatment of future. Clearly a vast challenging subject but the author chooses to look at it from a limited set of views without fully explaining any one in particular.

Overall I think the problem is the format, its impossible to address a subject as vast in a small booklet.
Alan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pretty dry. Forced myself to get through several chapters.
Lawrence
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
ht: this book was a gift from ceasar mcdowell in dec 2018.

this short nonfiction book is a particular slice/view of futurism from the perspective of an mit futurist. montfort guides the reader through a series of, in his mind, important moments in futurist history, particularly focusing on the ways people making futures relate to the new "technologies" of the day. as he bounces us through history, he makes a couple of really interesting points that surprisingly create a sense of agency for the re
Patrick DiJusto
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
A fine retrospective about how we viewed the future at different times throughout civilization. Nothing spectacular.
Ben
Maynard Handley
Jun 07, 2018
Andrej Karpathy
Apr 16, 2018
Nick Montfort is Professor of Digital Media at MIT. He is the author of Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction and Exploratory Programming for the Arts and Humanities; the coauthor of Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System and 10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1)); : GOTO 10; and the coeditor of The New Media Reader (all published by the MIT Press).

The MIT Press Essential Knowledge (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Intellectual Property Strategy