Start by marking “Hyperborea (Fantasy Online #1)” as Want to Read:
Hyperborea (Fantasy Online #1)

Hyperborea

(Fantasy Online #1)

Nineteen-year-old Ryuk Matsuzaki and his best friend Tamana decide to start over with new avatars. When Tamana is suddenly killed right in front of him in a Tokyo subway, Ryuk knows there is only one place he can search for answers Tritania, the worlds most popular online fantasy world. Standing in his way are a mysterious guild known as the Shinigami, and his older ...more
Published June 2nd 2017 by Boycott Books

To ask other readers questions about Hyperborea, please sign up.

Start your review of Hyperborea (Fantasy Online #1)
Esme
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok

Plot:

Ryuk is a young teenager living in Japan, near or in Tokyo. In the start of the book hes playing an online mmorpg with his friend Tamana, and when they sign off and head home she seems to commit suicide by jumping in front of a train.

Soon thereafter Ryuk suffers from hallucinations thinking that npcs from the game have invaded his apartment. Ryuks android looks into reports about the game, and it seems that players that reset are dying in alarming numbers, all
AudioBookReviewer
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Fantasy Online: Hyperborea audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

If you are in the mood for a literary role-playing game (LitRPG) tale full of fantasy humor, snarky wit, and slapstick comedy, Fantasy Online: Hyperborea is the book you are looking for.  This is another story authored by Harmon Cooper and the audiobook edition masterfully performed by Jeff Hays.  It is the first book, in what appears will be a new series which takes place in the Proxmia
Isaac
Aug 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I knew it will be bad but I wanted to test the poison. (P.S. I am harsh to the "LitRPG" series as I find majority of them are bad.)

Let's start from the beginning, first impressions. Well, the title "Fantasy Online: Hyperborea" is simply horrible, not the Hyperborea part but "Fantasy Online". There isn't a shred of ingenuity in it. It also lacks tact. Next is the cover. The girl in the image is holding a giant sword with a toothpick as the hilt. And it's called the buster sword in the book.

Now,
Norma
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, reviewed, 2017, litrpg
( Format : Audiobook )
"Won't you come inside?"
Ryuk's real life In Tokyo is not a happy one. He is bullied by his older brother, a yazuka boss, and he fears that his one friend and gaming companion does not return the growing love that he feels for her. When she dies by throwing herself in front of an underground train shortly after they have both logged out of the Proxima world of Tritania, Ryuk returns there to find her in the still surviving form of a Reborn Player Character. But she's gone:
Somebody
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
An absolute train wreck.. (view spoiler)

I vaguely remember the story, this is a very late review, and it wont be the best sorry.

The plot was a typical underdog story with a protagonist that has family issues. It is a LitRPG, set in Japan in the future.

Here are some of my problems. I don't remember the story in great detail but I remember the plot.
- When people die they get revived and put into the game. (view spoiler)
Pj
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
There are a lot of things I like about this book, unfortunately there are also a number of things I don't.

Things I like:
- There are stakes that extend beyond the game world that add a sense of urgency to the situation
- The prose is easy to read/listen to (I listened to the audiobook) except in the situations below
- The world seems solid (except in the situations below)
- I like the new classes within the game. The whole idea of a caster that functions by slinging different colored marbles at
Hamda
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ryuk Matsuzaki is a Japanese teenage boy with a crush and our MC.

The day he confesses to his lady love is the day she starts hallucinating about VR monsters attacking her in RL and dies in her attempt to flee making it look to the casual observer like a suicide.

Seeing how her avatar is (somehow?) still in the game he tries to get some answers from it.

Why would the avatar know? Why would it be anything but a mindless puppet or at most an NPC? When he has the recording of her last minutes why not
Kai
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Hyperborea begins with Ryuk and Tamara resetting their online game avatars to restart to different characters. The only problem is that Tamara gets killed in the real world, which looks like a suicide. The only place that Ryuk could do was to go into Hyperborea and find Tamara, but only to discover that she has been kidnapped in the online world of Hyperborea.

With the goblin, Hiccup and the Swedish aka, FeeTwix, Ryuk set off to rescue Tamara. Hiccup is just a comical character. I just love some
Bonnie Dale Keck
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kindle Unlimited, This writer has serious 'issues', reviews are reader's way of saying ya need help sparky, just wait and write some more first. Have read most of his books, most listed below.

Nineteen-year-old Ryuk Matsuzaki and his best friend Tamana decide to start over with new avatarsm then Tamana is suddenly killed right in front of him in a Tokyo subway. Ryuk goes to the one place he can search for answers, Tritania, the worlds most popular online fantasy world. All he has to do is keep
Chris Evans
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: litrpg
An interesting LitRPG book. The setup is more of a murder mystery disguised as a LitRPG than a true LitRPG. The benefit of this is there's a lot of interesting story elements both inside and outside the game. The down side is the game mechanics and world lore are rather lacking. World lore has it the worst off. The game is more of a back drop for the characters to do what they need to in rather than a fully flushed out ecosystem. NPC's seem to know they're NPC's in the game, there are NPC's from ...more
Kay Smillie
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cracking tale from Harmon Cooper. Phenomenal fully fledged characters and great storytelling. I love the level of silly humour.

You don't need to read Cooper's other books before reading this, but to fully enjoy the 'nods' to previous books and the inclusion of well-loved characters, I would suggest reading his other works. Fick, read them all afterwards, then read this again! I felt like a kid at Christmas, opening these little presents especially for us.

This is so entertaining, and even
Scott
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The LitRPG world is coming to life more and more wirh varied examples, and im not a massive fan of this type.
The stats can be lost and fogotten almost as quick as rhey are said but the brillance of the characters and their development makes this a worthwhile buy. listening to the various effects performed by Jeff Hays does credir to Harmon Coopers job here. As a fan of his Feedback series i wasnt too sure but it seems a good writer can write almost anything. A very good writer can make even a
Joe
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book takes place in the same location as the third book in the Feedback series. It seems to take place in the future after Quantum Hughes. In the real world they are located in Japan. The book has a great story that moves along at a great pace and a good length. The characters are very likable and although very different, blend well together. There is a lot of LitRPG elements to this book and they dont get in the way or are overdone. The narrator is great although I thought the reading was a ...more
Randy Smith
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Overall the writing for this book isn't that bad but I very much dislike the gimmickry ending that this book had. Most of the time when I see a story ending like this one it's usually an inane attempt at making sure that the readers will come back for the next book. At this point I see no reason to read anymore of the storyline, there's plenty of other books like this out there that are done much better and don't pull off gimmickry like the way this book ended. Maybe once the whole series is ...more
Travis
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: litrpg
Great story here, I am going to follow this series for sure. One of the best LitRPG stories I've read. It's a good story, funny scenes, and professional editing to boot. This looks like an author to watch. If you like adventure then you will like this story a lot. If you don't think you like LitRPG then you might want to try this one anyway, it might surprise you. After reading another book by this author it made me very hesitant to read anything else from this author, but I have to say that I ...more
daniel
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Well written but not sure I enjoyed it

Writing was 4 or 5 stars for quality and creativity. That said, I'm not sure I enjoyed the book. On the fence whether I would read the next in the series. Extremely crass book--especially the comic relief character. Very creative dialogue. Steam punk-fantasy-zombie anything goes virtual world which didn't "do it for me". Hard battle? Not really a challenge when you just have a bazooka hidden away...
Wolkenfels
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: game-litrpg-2019
Very anime style litRpg book. Intersting is that the MC has a sling as main weapon.
The beginning was okay - some concepts as the youtuber-character were new and unique.
Anyway the always swearing goblin strained my nerves really fast. The sadistic brother was also nothing i like to read about in my free time and then the book ends in a total unsatisfiying cliff hanger that does nothing but try to lure me to the next book. Nope - not happening.
Joseph Thomas
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, litrpg
I have read and listened to a few of the other books by Harmon Cooper and have enjoyed them but this one was my favorite so far. I really enjoyed the fact that one of the main characters was a streamer and streamed his games! In the other books, I thought that this was something that was missing. I am looking forward to more from Harmon Cooper!
Kelly Ross
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book, litrpg
Decent but not amazing. The story is fun but a little overboard on the goblin's antics. A little inconsistent at times like when they can defeat mobs 40 levels above them but get their asses handed to them by mobs their own level or below. I would give it a higher rating if not for those mistakes that are almost wtf moments.
George Hamel
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great read if you are a fan of the feedback loop series as it continues on in the same universe. You don't have to have read the feedback loop series to enjoy this book but its worth checking out. The characters are enjoyable but what did it for me was the plot line and the twists that take place throughout the story. I am much anticipating the next book in this series.
Trudi Hall
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read with vocabulary that puts Lemony Snicket to shame

The word choice is phenomenal, and the multiple languages blended in, both real and fictional set the tone for an international immerse virtual world. I can't wait to read through the author's other works, especially those set in the same universe.
Ann  Marie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: techno, kindle, cooper
If you like RPG, futuristic scifi and/or techno you have to read Fantasy Online: Hyperbora! This book is well written and has some foreseeable twists and a big one that I didn't see coming at all.

Harman Cooper has another hit on his hands.
Stephen
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Fickin' decent book

The writing and the story were pretty good, filled with suspense as well as some twists and turns. And not to be left out in this genre the grammar, like in most LitRPGs, is horrific.
Liquid Frost
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
A new series in a familiar setting for those reading Cooper's other serials. If you haven't read the Life is a Beautiful Thing or The Feedback Loop sets, you are still perfectly fine starting off with Fantasy Online. You will only miss some references to other characters and adventures within the realm. However, be warned, it is more fun having read the other series to know the references in which this book uses.

Still though - not a deal ficker. Teens Ryuk and Tamana are friends in real life, so
Melissa Murdoch
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Present tense is jarring, but a good story.

I had an immediate negative reaction to reading in present tense, but the story was interesting enough that I started to overlook it. The tie-ins to other series are nostalgic as well.
M Coombs
Apr 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up, gave-uo
gave up
Randy Forster
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed

Book was fast paced and kept me captivate till the end. Great twist with Tanana. Looking forward to reading more!
Don Barnett
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this mixture of real world and gaming. The humor was epic, and the story has me ready for more.
Orrkis
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fickin' awesome!

The writing style combined with more rpg mechanics made for a truly enjoyable read. Looking forward to the next one!
Ciayrra The Scorpion Flower
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly imaginative i enjoyed, the narration. This book has an unexpected ending that I didnt see coming. ...more

• Io Online (The Greystone Chronicles, #1)
  • Reboot (Afterlife Online #1)
  • Darkness Fallen (The Greystone Chronicles, #3)
  • The Realm Between: The Curse: A LitRPG Saga (Book 1)
  • Shard Warrior (Crystal Shards Online, #2)
  • Survive Week One (Codename: Freedom #1)
  • The Chosen (Arcane Kingdom Online #1)
  • Dukes and Ladders (The Good Guys, #5)
  • Swing Shift: Book 2
  • Hero of Thera
  • Four: The Loot (The Good Guys, #4)
  • Heir Today, Pawn Tomorrow (The Good Guys, #2)
  • Adventure Capital (Delvers LLC, #3)
  • A Slave in the Locked Lands (The Weirdest Noob #2)
  • Dungeon Mauling (The Good Guys, #3)
  • Dire Lands, The (The Greystone Chronicles, #2)
  • A Trap for the Potentate (The Dark Herbalist, #3)
  • Black Hat (Afterlife Online #2)
Harmon Cooper is the author of the Life is a Beautiful Thing Series as well as The Feedback Loop Series. In 2017, he will release Fantasy Online, an offshoot of the Feedback Loop series.

He has written 18 books and will likely write 18 more before 2021.

Fantasy Online (3 books)
  • Polynya (Fantasy Online #2)
  • The Runestones of Tritinakh (Fantasy Online #3)