Start by marking “Gravity Well” as Want to Read:
Gravity Well

Gravity Well

Lotte is an astronomer who spends her nights peering into deep space rather than looking too closely at herself. When she returns to her hometown after years in South America, reeling from a devastating diagnosis, she finds that much has changed. Lotte’s father has remarried, and she feels like an outsider in the house she grew up in. She’s estranged from her former best f ...more
Published May 29th 2017 by Scribe Publications

To ask other readers questions about Gravity Well, please sign up.
Lisa See the explanation from Wikipedia at https://anzlitlovers.com/2017/08/03/g...
The way I see it, the characters are caught in the gravity pull of other…more
See the explanation from Wikipedia at https://anzlitlovers.com/2017/08/03/g...
The way I see it, the characters are caught in the gravity pull of other people and the more they mean to each other, the harder it is to do without them. (less)

Bookread2day
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gravity Well is my first book by Melanie Joosten . I found Melanie an extremely talented writer, one that really has thought hard about describing scenes with a difference. Lotte is an astronomer who spends her time gazing into space. The words that Melanie used to describe what Lotte sees are with poetry like words and sentences flow poetic. also the author has a way of making you feel like you are really there seeing what Lotte can see. Gravity Well takes you much deeper into Lotte's life. Qui ...more
Erin
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Some parts were great, some parts were a little off, and some parts annoyed the hell out of me.

But the ending. Oh my. My hearts swells for that ending.
Catherine Davison
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
James Whitmore
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a devastating and entirely self-contained book. Tiny events spill outwards, only to find their full resonance later. Every relationship is unique, and forensically analysed. The timelines create a telescopic effect, revealing just when they need to. I loved the synergy of imagery and character and their different perspectives - one character early on sees fuschias as fairies; another later sees them as planetary nebulae. Also there's a great moment when one of the characters makes a very ...more
Lisa
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It’s not so very long ago that my mother died of ovarian cancer so there were times when reading Melanie Joosten’s second novel was difficult for me. One of her characters dies of the disease, and her daughter fears the genetic inheritance as I do. But Gravity Well is so intriguingly constructed and so engaging on the subject of damaged relationships that I put my feelings to one side and kept on reading anyway…

But first, the title. I bet I’m not the only reader who Googles it to find out what i
Michelle
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five stars and a couple of exoplanets too.
Scribe Publications
[Joosten’s] characters are faced with all the complexity of the modern world, and sometimes the decisions they make turn out to be wrong. Watching them face the consequences makes for riveting reading … This is the work of an elegant and vital novelist, someone fully engaged and grappling with the multitude of difficulties involved in the way we live now.
Louise Swinn, Sydney Morning Herald

Joosten’s plotting is both wonderfully assured and stunningly unexpected: as details fall into place readers
Suze Lavender
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lotte and Eve are best friends. Lotte is an astronomer, who's sole focus is her work. Because of this Lotte and her family and friends are drifting apart. Eve is an artist working with sounds. She loves passionately, but isn't lucky when it comes to matters of the heart. When Lotte finds a job abroad the friendship slowly disappears. However, Eve is still part of Lotte's world and when Lotte returns from a long stay in South America, they both discover that it's more difficult to forgive, forget ...more
Michael Livingston
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a neatly structured book about two friends whose lives intersect in various sad and complicated ways. This had all the ingredients of something I'd love, but I never quite got wrapped up in it. The characters didn't really connect with me and the plot felt a bit overblown at times. Joosten is a nice writer, but I had much higher hopes for this.
Nancy
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I loved the Australia-ness of it, the writing, the imperfect characters, the astronomy metaphor about relationships, the way plot points were revealed. Sometimes I was completely surprised by little revelations, other times I saw them coming. And the ending was satisfactory too!
Lesley Moseley
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
WOW what a lucky find on an EBOOK platform. The words 'astronomy' caught my attention; and once I could tell that the jumping around timelines and narrators, gradually made sense, and made this is delightful, clever, sad, loving, book. I really like it. (Yes, even fussy me.)
Samantha
I was lucky enough to win an ARC of this book in a Goodreads giveaway, so keep in mind that this review is not of the final publication.

That said, this was a solid, enjoyable read.

This book follows the intertwining stories of two women; Lotte and Eve. It's told from dual POVs, following the characters from the present day into the past. Their unfolding stories really kept me interested; I wanted to know how they came to be at the current points in their lives.

Sometimes the time jumps were a bit
Annette
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gravity Well by Melanie Joosten was a Goodreads win

The book has two threads; information and reflections about the cosmos, and the lives of Lotte and her best friend Eve. Both are compared; the cosmos has bodies that orbit and influence each other, the friends likewise. Planets influence anything which comes too close, drift too close and you run the risk of falling down the planet’s gravity well, a collision that would mean disaster. Go too far away and you run the risk of getting lost and disa
Sheriene
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I was fortunate to get this book as part of Goodreads Giveaways. This is not really the sort of book I usually read, but I was attracted to it because its written by an Australian author (and I read so little from my homeland). And on that front, it did not disappoint. There were a few slang words (not many) but I enjoyed coming across them and a few Australian-isms (like talking about bbq shapes) that made me smile.

Gravity Well is a story of two very different women, friends: Lotte and Eve. The
Zora
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh so many mixed feelings, including about the star rating system. So many themes examined here are those I love to see explored in fiction - grief, friendship (especially between women), relationships, illness, the place of work in one's life - and the treatment of these was fresh and committed. Yet, while I ripped through this book in a couple of days, there was an odd inertia at the heart of this book too, perhaps to do with the characters who never quite came alive to me, or the distracting ...more
Alix Long
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am always one to champion books about female friendship, however this novel explored it at a level of intricacy and complexity that I haven't seen that much in literature. Add in the fact that one of the main characters is an astronomer, and this was probably one of the most unique and interesting novels that I have read all year. Gravity Well is not only gorgeously written, but really gets into the very heart of what being part of a family feels like; the good times, and the catastrophically ...more
Charlotte
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book deeply affected me. It's concepts are realistic - relationship issues, dying and grief, feeling distant. Having lived in nearly all the settings (beside Chile) I found the story almost too realistic to be comfortably distant, which I suppose is the point.
The structure was extremely well executed, providing the precise amount of knowledge gaps that ensured you wanted another chapter. The tonal shifts between time periods was excellent.
This book did frighten me though...I did feel like '
Karen
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I recently received an ARC of this book.

I enjoyed this book. It is an easy read, telling the story of two friends and their changing relationship. I found some of the timings hard to follow. It was not always clear, in spite of a date stamp at the beginning of the chapter, just at what point we were.

Would give this book another half star if I could. I'm sure, in its final form, it will be worth reading.
Sophia Kwon
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
3 out of 5 stars to Gravity Well.

I found the last chapters of this book a bit boring when it came to describing what had happened to Eve's life.

Apart from that, I can't deny that this type of book always gives me an important lesson in many ways!

Anne Goodwin
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Since sharing a house in their student days, Lotte and Eve have been able to tell each other anything. Both only children, they bonded like sisters, despite their diverging interests: Lotte’s passion for astronomy; Eve’s for mountain biking and constructing soundscapes. They have buttressed each other through the breakup of Eve’s relationship with the charismatic narcissist Nate, Lotte’s marriage to Vin and the death of her mother but now, in their late 30s, they’re estranged.
Full review
Gravity
Fondantsurprise
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Takes a while to get going but beautiful and desperately sad.
Claudia Walmsley
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful book!
Kimberley Starr
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story about family and grief and the possibilities for love and recovery.
Tamara
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I found the women in this novel very hard to relate or connect to, thus my interest flagged. Expressive language, just not me I guess.
Luisa
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i won a copy of this book in the good reads giveaway, i really enjoyed this book, even thought it broke my heart, its a story of complicated friendships, love, and tragedy
Carolyn Healy

• Woman of Substances
  • Shy: A Memoir
  • On Poetic Imagination and Reverie
  • Bridget Crack
  • Meredith Out of the Darkness (Meredith, #1)
  • Journey into Nyx: Godsend, Part II
  • Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5)
  • Scarred (The Elm Stone Saga, #2)
  • Out of the Forest
  • Adult Fantasy: searching for true maturity in an age of mortgages, marriages, and other adult milestones
  • When the Green Woods Laugh (The Pop Larkin Chronicles #3)
  • Sing Fox to Me
  • The Penguin Book of Japanese Verse
  • The Mayne Inheritance
  • Battle Royale: Angels' Border
Melanie Joosten is a writer who lives in Melbourne. Her first novel, Berlin Syndrome (2011) saw her named as a Sydney Morning Herald Best Young Novelist and awarded the Kathleen Mitchell Award for Young Writers. Berlin Syndrome is currently being turned into a film with a screenplay by Shaun Grant, to be directed by Cate Shortland.

Melanie holds a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Honours), a Master of Ar