Start by marking “Wild” as Want to Read:
Wild

Wild

Zack Ramos is training for two things: being a parent to his twelve-year-old sister once his mother's early-onset Alzheimer's (the same kind he and his sister each have a 50% chance of developing--but let's not think about that) progresses too far, and running a one hundred mile race through the mountains of Tennessee. His support system is longtime girlfriend Jordan ...more
Published April 26th 2017

Start your review of Wild
Hannah
Apr 17, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book! It means a great deal to me and I hope you read it.

The playlist:

Life Less Ordinary--Carbon Leaf
Last of the American Girls/She's a Rebel--American Idiot Soundtrack
Riot Girl--Good Charlotte
Bad
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
I love this book a whole lot. It's beautiful and painful and realistic; no one in this book is perfect, except they're all perfect because I love them, fight me. I don't think I've ever read a romance like Zack and Jordan's— one where they've been mostly-together since before the book starts but still have a long way to go. They have problems, they have fights, and Zack fucks up more than once. But the way they're willing to fight for each other, even as they recognize that hearing/Deaf ...more
Book Riot Community
Wild follows Zach, a Filipino-American runner whose mother suffers from Alzheimer’s. When he discovers that his girlfriend Jordan – who he met on the internet – is Deaf, Zach is exposed to a different world. Both Zach and Jordan have to deal with what being in a Deaf/hearing relationship might mean for them. Wild manages to be a lighthearted romance, which is both funny and clever. It heavily features sign language, which is not something you often find in books – or elsewhere – and was pretty ...more
oraculous
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading 'Teeth' by this author, the bottomless, perpetually hungry monster in my head that feeds exclusively on good books went 'More like this' and so I ended up picking up the most recent Moskowitz novel (need to keep monster in my head happy).

This was similar to Teeth in the sense that the adolescent protagonist is cast by circumstance in a care-taker role because of illness in the family, and tries bravely to live up to that responsibility but can't help resenting it as well. What's
Lucy-May
This book was so, so wonderful. I seem to be reading more romances now & it's because I've discovered writers that don't make it awful & awkward to read. Hannah made this book so real that I didn't cringe once... It was so much more than just a romance though.

I really loved this book because it taught me stuff, & anyone who follows my reviews will know that I love to learn through fiction. It's my thing. I knew a lot less about sign language & deaf life than I thought I did
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ashley Elliott
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
The first book I've read in days and I adored it! First of all I love reading and learning about different disabilities, not in a rude weird way, but in this isn't my experience and I could learn so much from it. Jordan is so funny and as a Deaf character something I'm completely new too. This is actually my second book this year reading from the perspective of Deaf characters. This had a lot of the same lessons as You're Welcome, Universe with D, capital letter Deaf, ASL is it's on language, ...more
Katie Guttenberg
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
Fam. This book. Okay, fine, you want coherenter thoughts. Here you go.

WILD was amazing, like holy shit. The characters were so well developed. Every character felt like they could be a legit person. Especially Zack, Jordan, and my smol baby, Gin. The plot flowed so well that I couldn't even like pick out the specific acts and stuff. I legit wish the book never ended.

The book was also super duper diverse and had lots of #ownvoices aspects. Both Zack and Jordan are bi and Jordan is also Jewish.
Yaiza
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Me ha encantado esto TANTÍSIMO
vamos a ver: choque cultural entre gente que oye y gente sorda, padres ausentes, el deber de cuidar de su madre con alzheimer y su hermana pequeña, la obsesión con terminar la megamaratón que su padre dejó a mitad... nunca habeis leido un libro como este. Lo mejor es que lloré por todo pero también es graciosisimo.
Shelby Eileen
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So fucking good :’) this author really has a way with portraying family relationships. Jordan and Zach are the best couple- no illusions about their struggles as a Deaf/hearing pair OR as a long distance one OR as queer poc (both bisexual, Jordan- jewish + Guatemalan, Zach- Filipino). They’re so real.

Cw: parent with alzheimers, brief physical assault
Jessie Quinn (cupofbooks)
Since it was announced, I was looking forward to reading Wild but I have to say this novel is so much more than I expected.

Zack Ramos finally meets Jordan, the girl he has been dating online for three years, and learns she's Deaf. Between taking care of his mom who has early-onset Alzheimer's and training for an ultramarathon, Zack has figure out how to make this still-long-distance-but-now-in-person relationship work.

Wild is a character-driven story, so it's the type of story I love. Throughout
lady✨christine
Check out my full review on my blog, The Story Salve.

Wild follows high school graduate Zack, who’s training for a 100-mile marathon while caring for his 12-year-old sister and their mom as she deteriorates from her early-onset Alzheimers.

There’s so much to love about this book, but I’m going to keep this brief (for now). Somethings I loved about this:

* natural diversity: Zack is Filipino and his girlfriend Jordan is a Deaf Jewish/Guatemalan
* romance about an existing relationship between a bi
Untonuggan
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is from a genre that is not usually my jam, yet somehow it got under my skin and latched onto my brain. It's been days since I finished reading it, and I've still been pondering plot points and fidgeting with the characters like they're a favorite stim toy. I will definitely reread at some point, because right now it's been days and my most coherence response to "Wild" is still mostly "Wow."

Of note: I tend to prefer my light reading have at least one (1) or more dragons, Fae,
Ceillie Simkiss
This was adorable. Read my full review here!
Azânia
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, poc-leads
Hannah escreve muuuito bem, uma construção incrível dos personagens, pela primeira vez na minha vida tô triste que um livro não faz parte de um série. E pra manter o hábito, esse livro contém:
- Representatividade bi e lésbica
- Lida com Alzheimer de uma forma que me pareceu super realista
- Cultura Surda
- Pessoas miscigenadas
Rynn Yumako
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, lgbt-ya
Another fantastic story from Hannah Moskowitz. I devour her books in a few hours every time I stumble upon a new one and this one was no exception. Her characters are so diverse, so complex, she never uses the same tropes, her dialogue is snappy and fun, and her stories are really engaging.

This book deals with a ton of stuff with ease (Deaf-culture, losing a parent, growing up too fast, friendships changing and the struggles of being different), but my absolute favorite part has to be the
AJ
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was really quirky and fun. It had an unconventional romance pairing, something you don't even get to read about. It featured sign language - also not something you often get to read about. And it was centered around a strange run that I had never, ever heard of.

It was light-hearted, well-written, and overall a real joy to read.
The only issue I had with it is that I kind of wish it was longer. It felt a little rushed, and I really wanted to see more of Jordan
KappaBooks
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm gonna have to think about the rating a bit harder.

I really enjoyed this book. It's about Zack and Jordan figuring out their hearing/Deaf long distance relationship but also Zach figuring out his family situation.

These truly felt like 18 year old characters. Their thought processes and actions really felt like teenagers.

Unfortunately, there's a couple dropped letters and missing quotation marks that should've been caught by an editor.
amanda
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this! hannah writes characters that always seem very real, and while they can sometimes be a little too cynical for me, i really liked them! i really appreciated how diverse this book was, and the complicated relationships between zack and his sister and mom. i also really enjoyed zack learning how to speak to jordan and seeing them get closer.
K.C. O'Neill
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Just... Wow.

This was my first read from Hannah but it will absolutely not be my last. The characters felt real enough to reach out and touch. The emotion dripped from the page. A gripping read that kept me entranced from start to finish. I absolutely loved it.
Cam Likes Books
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: speed-bump
Yay for Deaf/Hearing relationships! Yay for complicated familial structures!

I enjoyed this book, but it took me a while to finish for some reason. Some parts seemed random and I expected it to be brought up again but it never did. The ending was a tad... unsatisfying? Anticlimactic? Like, (view spoiler)

But okay. I just really love reading Deaf characters.
Eveline Mann
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very quick read, though could have done with a bit of extra editing. Enjoyed the story, thought it could do with being a bit longer, would have liked more of a 'what happened next'. But as this is a YA book, I suppose it's fine as is.
Madeline
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, lgbtqa
Adorable romance story between a cis bisexual guy and a cis bisexual girl. It's so nice to see a relationship between two bisexuals. Interesting exploration of Deaf culture.
Deborah James
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i read this on a recommendation and loved it!
darling
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
4 ...more
Bitterblue
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hannah writes good books.
Nikki
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
read this with my book club and cried my eyes out! damn, moskowitz.
Kina Reviews
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish there was a sequel! I loved these two and their story so much *sobs*

full review to come
Katie
Jun 19, 2017
Semhar
Jun 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Where One Goes (Where One Goes, #1)
  • Smut
  • Someday, Someday
  • Swallowtail
  • La Différence invisible
  • Godmaker (Jeweled Goddess #1)
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Walk Up Nameless Ridge
  • The Box
  • The Automated Ones
  • The Complete Chi's Sweet Home, Part 3
  • The Hollow (Sign of Seven, #2)
  • The Pagan Stone (Sign of Seven, #3)
  • 極主夫道 1 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • A Time of Gifts
  • ウラカタ!! 7 [Urakata!! 7] (Behind the Scenes!!, #7)
  • ウラカタ!! 6 [Urakata!! 6] (Behind the Scenes!!, #6)
Hannah Moskowitz wrote her first story, about a kitten named Lilly on the run from cat hunters, for a contest when she was seven years old. It was disqualified for violence. Her first book, BREAK, was on the ALA's 2010 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, and in 2013, GONE, GONE, GONE received a Stonewall Honor. 2015's NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED was named the YA Bisexual Book of the Year. ...more
“We're totally different people from when we first met, but I still love her and she loves me, after all this time.

And this weekend I'm going to meet her in person.”
0 likes