Start by marking “Depth of Lies” as Want to Read:
Depth of Lies

Depth of Lies

If you think you know your friends, think again. A page-turner of a thriller for fans of The Couple Next Door.

Kat Burrows, Shea’s longtime friend and former neighbor, is hit hardes
Published September 26th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Depth of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Depth of Lies

Start your review of Depth of Lies
Melissa
*4.5 stars*

Last year, after having failed miserably with a few audiobooks, I’m talking complete duds, I stumbled across Broken Grace, this author's previous book, and was hooked instantly. Compelling storyline, interesting characters, great narrator and a deliciously dark twist—need I say more? So, you can imagine my level of excitement when I caught a glimpse of the gorgeous Depth of Lies cover and realized it was the very same author that delivered one of my favorite thrillers last year.

The p
Kaceey
Absolutely loved it!

A Traveling Sister Read with Brenda, Norma and Lindsay!

The girlfriends are back together again. Sadly, this time it’s to mourn and celebrate the life of one of their own. Their beautiful friend Shea was found dead, alone at their favorite vacation island. How could this have happened? Is it even conceivable that she may have killed herself? An accident? Or could someone else have been responsible?

Katherine, known to all as Kat, is determined to find out what happened to her b
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'It was the perfect opportunity to mention Shea's call, but Kat's guilt was like a gag. She hadn't even told Mack about it. Every time Kat thought about how she had ignored that call, tossing the phone aside as if Shea were a nuisance, her heart ached. She had died the next day. Alone in a bathtub. Far from home. Leaving a husband and kids and an entire community baffled and heartbroken. She'd obviously needed her friend. She'd reached out to Kat and Kat had tossed her aside. '

THE BLURB
Kendall
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a ride!! My first read by E.C. Diskin and it definitely will not be my last.

Depth of Lies... where do I start?! How well do you really think you know your friends and loved ones?

The first chapter starts off with a bullet to your gun. We are introduced to Shea.. who is dead...very dead. Is it suicide? Is it an accident? Was she murdered?

This is a character driven novel at ITS BEST. Kat, one of Shea's many friends is trying to understand what happened to this beautiful woman and her li
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Depth of Lies is an engaging, slightly different take on a whodunit plot surrounding a large group of empty-nesters of suburban women.

The story is told from Kat’s point of view as she is determined to find the truth to her friend Shea’s death and through flashbacks from Shea’s point of view leading up to her death. Through confessions from the group of friends and from Shea’s flashbacks secrets, lies and betrayals are revealed.

E.C. Diskin does a fantastic job at pacing this story. The story st
Norma
DEPTH OF LIES (extremely fitting and the perfect title) by E.C. DISKIN is a tense, suspenseful, and a fast-paced whodunit mystery with unique characters and an engaging storyline that I really enjoyed.  What I found to be quite different and enjoyable about this book was the cast of characters, as the group of girlfriends were in their early 50’s and empty nesters.

E.C. DISKIN delivers a character driven and well-written read here with lots of drama, betrayals, secrets, and lies within the storyl
Meredith
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one sucked me in!

Full review to come!
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4 stars! This was an addictive and suspenseful thriller that had me racing to the end to solve the mystery.

This story starts with the drowning death of Shea, a 52-year-old stay at home mother and housewife. The question is: Was it suicide? Was it an accident? What happened? The novel flips between ‘Then’ and ‘Now’ where pieces of the story are revealed through interactions between Shea’s rather large group of close friends. Even though there was such a large cast of characters, the author, E. C.
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Nov)

Depth of Lies is perfectly titled! It is the perfect suspense mystery who-dunnit! My favorite type of book! Thank you to Melissa for recommending it!

A group of women who have been best friends for years! I felt like they could have all been in my own circle of girlfriends. Housewives meets Angela from Murder She Wrote with Kat playing the role of leading detective!

Shea is the loving friend and mom who is found dead in a hotel bathroom under suspicious circumstances. Kat is her BFF with
Linda
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every coin has two sides, just like most people have two faces.

A group of friends are gathering at the funeral service for one of their own. Their faces are filled with deep sorrow and lined with elements of shock. From all appearances, Shea Walker took her own life. She was found submerged in a bathtub at a bed and breakfast inn five hours away from home. An empty Vicodin bottle and the tell-tale sign of too much liquor were at the scene.

Kat Burrows, Shea's best friend, had moved to Texas from
Carolyn
Shea Walker is a happy, bubbly personality, part of a close knit group of friends who seemingly tell each other everything. But when she is found dead in a hotel bathtub, full of pills and alcohol no one knows what she was doing there or suspected that she was suicidal. Hers friends get together to mourn her, including Kat Burrows her lifelong best friend who had recently moved away. All the women feel guilty that they weren't there for Shea but can't believe that she would take her own life. Ka ...more
Nazanin
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Well, this story is about a woman, Shea, who died in her bathtub in an Inn. Police says it was a suicide but her best friend, Kat, couldn’t accept it. So she takes it upon herself to find out if it was really a suicide or someone killed her. And let’s don’t forget that she felt a bit guilty for ignoring Shea’s phone call a day before she died.

I think I’m in the minority here! First of all, I was really struggling at the first 40% but it got better after that. Second, I had a problem wit
Adrian Dooley
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was a nice little surprise. Intruiging from the start and a cracking read. 4.5 stars from me.

When Shea Walker is found drowned in a bath with a stomach full of pills and booze, her friends are shocked and in a state of disbelief. Shea, a middle aged woman, was always the life and sole of the party, happily married with grown up kids, she seemingly loved her life and had no reason to take her own life, as it appears.

The community and her group of friends are shook to the core, no more
 Li'l Owl
The Blurb

Kat Burrows, Shea’s longtime friend and former neighbor, is hit hardest. How could a woman she thought she knew so well come to such a sordid end? What could lead happy, well-adjusted, responsible Shea to accidentally overdose on alcohol and narcotics? Or, worse, drive her to suicide?

Compelled
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

The book covers the friendships of 7 women and the secrets they have kept from one another over the years that have affected their relationships. These women come together after one of them, Shea, is tragically found dead from an apparent suicide. This does not sit well with one of her friends, Kat, and she starts her own investigation to try and uncover what really happened to Shea in the months leading up to, and
♥Rachel♥
Kat has come back to Maple Park to attend her best friend, Shea’s funeral. She’s shocked and broken hearted over her friend’s death, which from initial impressions sounds a little like suicide. Kat can’t believe her friend would take her own life and is frightened that she perhaps missed the signs if Shea did. As she learns more of Shea’s last days, Kat’s determined to get to the bottom of what happened, and is stunned by some of the secrets she uncovers in the process. It makes her question how ...more
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Excellent read.The whole time you are wondering exactly what happened to Shea...did she commit suicide, did she get murdered or was it an accident. The book covers long time friends who lived near each other, raised their children together....until the day one of them dies. They all seem to blame themselves until Kat decides she is going to find out exactly what happened to Shea.

But in doing so she finds out all the lies and secrets between friends she thought she knew. I would have given it 5 s
Rissa
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75⭐️
Thank you so much to Thomas and Mercer via netgalley for sending me an ARC copy of Depth of Lie by E. C. Diski . will be released on September 26, 2017.

Chapter one... woah. Pulled me instantly with its descriptive writing and tension you could cut with a knife.

Shea is dead... but what happened? Was it a suicide, Murder, Or just an accident?

We follow sheas friends after her death and what they think happened and before, leading up to sheas death.

How the author flipped back and forth betw
Bella
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fans looking for a twist on classic mysteries and thrillers will find Depth of Lies to be an unexpected favorite. Readers hungry for a different perspective on whodunits will find plenty to love.

Check out the rest of my review at BestThrillers.com.

Kevin
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good mystery and a great example to NEVER abuse alcohol...maybe we shouldn't get TOO close to our friends.
Tammy
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is really a 3.5 for me. I loved the beginning and the end of the book. The middle seemed to drag for me but it is getting a lot of great reviews so it must just be my impatience.
Jaime
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
How well do we really know our friends? When Shea Walker, a sunny, easygoing mom, is found dead in a bathtub with a stomach full of booze and pills, the shocking discovery shatters the complacency of her comfortable suburban community. It sends her friend, Kat, into a full blown investigation on what happened to her friend, Shea. Driven to find the truth on what happened to Shea, Kat uncovers a web of deeply buried secrets.

I did not want to put down this book. It keep me on my toes. Every time
ABookwormWithWine
Depth of Lies by E.C. Diskin was a solid 4 star book for me. I didn't want to put it down pretty much the entire time, and once I got over halfway, I really couldn't stop reading.

This book focuses on the death of Shea. Was it an accident? Did she kill herself? Was she murdered? How well do you really know people that you're friends with?

The strange thing about this one for me, was that it felt like pieces of books I have read before all put together in a new book. What I'm trying to say, is th
Bridget
Depth of Lies was a captivating thrill ride! Buckle up and prepare for the twists and turns!

The girls are back in town. Unfortunately it is for their dear friend, Shea's funeral. All of Shea's girlfriends are shocked and devastated but none more than Kat, Shea's closest friend, Kat cannot accept the idea from their mutual friends that Shea took her own life. Shea lit up a room and had a beautiful family and loving husband, didn't she? Kat takes it upon herself to try to retrace Shea's last days
William Bitner Jr.
Genre - Mystery Suspense
Pages - 290

I was provided a copy of “Depth of Lies” by E.C. Diskin via NetGalley from the author. This is her third novel and my first read by this author. I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this read considering it’s not usually the type of book I would read. While I felt this book was geared more toward a female audience, (that's just my opinion) it held my attention and I was finding myself changing my mind about who, why or what was the cause
Anne
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Six friends, several marriages, one death. How are these all connected? The novel opens with Shea's drowning death in a bathtub. Was it suicide or murder? Kat and her other closest female friends are convinced she was not depressed and set out to find out the truth. Alternating between present and past, the book explores the friendships, secret alliances, and cracks in marriages that reveal the discrepancies between appearance and reality. When the truth is finally discovered at the end, it is a ...more
Cristie Underwood
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This is one of those books that grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go! I can usually figure out how a book is going to go, but this thriller had me second guessing and triple guessing myself!
Jeanette
The first 40 pages and the last 40 pages were better than 3. All of the rest was a 2.5 star read at the most. It was not written with balance of progression either. Too many characters, with their names repeating in sequences continually. Honestly, for the number of words in this book I would be interested (if I were an actuary)to how many of the actual words (out of the total whole) were first names in repeated action. (Tori got the door, Kat poured Charlie his drink, while Evelyn and Georgia p ...more
Ashley Gillan
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delightful guilty pleasure of a ride, like a season of Real Housewives. It really makes you question all the people around you and how well you know them - past the social media and party-ready facade.

It’s really juicy.

That’s really what this book is about: Kat returns to her old neighborhood and best friends for a terrible reason; their friend Shea was found dead in a bathtub next to a bottle of pills. Everyone assumes it was either a suicide or a terrible accident. But as Kat a
Sue Em
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
**** Actually 4.5 stars **** Just spent a rainy Saturday afternoon totally engrossed in this book.

Shea Walker, an outgoing suburban mom, has been found dead in a bathtub in a B&B, her death rocking her circle of close female friends. Was it suicide? An accident? Or even something more sinister. Should they have known something was wrong?

Her friend, Kat, starts asking questions, mainly to assuage her guilt for not being around. But appearances aren't what they seem. Uncovering a web of lies and s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lock the Door
  • The Last Door
  • The Silent Daughter
  • Half Past
E.C. Diskin studied Radio/TV/Film and English in Texas (TCU), moved to New York to dance with a tap dance company in Soho, and finally became "an adult" when she moved to Chicago for law school. But after several years behind a desk, a drawer full of story ideas, and two little ones at home, she took a break from the law and began writing fiction. Fortunately, the fantasy of living a creative life ...more

News & Interviews

“Why was it that the sight of water made everything in the world seem okay? She wanted to look at water every day.” 0 likes