Start by marking “The Little Book of Lykke: The Danish Search for the World's Happiest People” as Want to Read:
The Little Book of Lykke: The Danish Search for the World's Happiest People

The Little Book of Lykke: The Danish Search for the World's Happiest People

From the author of the international bestseller The Little Book of Hygge

Lykke (Luu-kah) (n): Happiness

It's easy to see why Denmark is often called the world's happiest country. Not only do they have equal parental leave for men and women, free higher education and trains that run on time, but they burn more candles per household than anywhere else.

So nobody knows more abou
Published September 7th 2017 by Penguin Life

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Lykke, please sign up.
Mary Mccallister While Hygge is moments of coziness and connection (especially thru dark Winter months), Lykka is developing a life of Joy thru connection, slowing…moreWhile Hygge is moments of coziness and connection (especially thru dark Winter months), Lykka is developing a life of Joy thru connection, slowing pace, and mindfulness among other concepts.(less)
Nancy Yes, it is essentially Hygge on the global scale. LOL, well, not exactly, but it is about well-being. I liked the Hygge book, but I love this one!

Charlotte May
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
“If you want happiness for an hour - take a nap. If you want happiness for a day - go fishing. If you want happiness for a year - inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime- help someone else.”

This was a great concept, but I never really do well with non fiction. I find it doesn’t grip me and I lose interest. Therefore this book took me way longer than a fiction book of the same size would have.

Despite this, I liked the ideas portrayed on this book. Small ways we can improve our
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Overall a good book on lykke. If only it did not include weird political references... it might have gotten 5 stars.
Q:
I thought it might cheer me up to see the victory speech of the first female US president, so I turned on the news....
I was tired, and I was sad to hear that a lot of Americans would be facing four difficult years. In short, I was angry, tired, and sad. (с) For Christsake, how does the gender of the president fit into the happiness of the country. The electorate was 50/50, no mat
Christine Spoors
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I loved this second book as much as I enjoyed The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well!

Lykke (Luu-kah) (n): Happiness

This book takes us on a treasure hunt, looking for the keys to happiness around the world. The book discusses togetherness, money, health, freedom, trust and kindness. I liked that the book still referred back to Denmark throughout as I love learning more about Denmark. This book not only helps you think about happiness, but also society, and ways in
Krystal
What a charming little book! I read a lot of heavy spiritual books with the aim of learning how to lead a more fulfilling life and these tend to be dense and rich in material on the psyche. This was such a breath of fresh air! It was so refreshing to read about tangible ways of enhancing, not just my own quality of life, but the lives of those in my community. It's so simple!!

The writing is easy, and the facts serve to highlight, where too often statistics will overwhelm and detract from the mes
Kristina
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That's literally happiness in a book form! 💞

Please, read it! I guarantee you that you'll feel inspired to do more with your life and loved ones!

I'd read anything that Meik writes in the future.
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

*Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy of this book. This in no way affects my opinion of the book.

Oh what a lovely little book.

Just like Meik Wiking’s other book – The Little Book of Hygge – this book is just so beautifully made. From the content itself to the design of each page, this is one of those books I can imagine myself coming back to many a time, if only to flick through the pages. Like I said with Hygge, it could be given as a gi
Isabel
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I plan on reading it again, with a notebook at hand.
It made me smile, it made me think and it helped me realize what potential we all have.
Cody
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very interesting when you look at the world today and see it's many complexities, confrontations, and conundrums. Perhaps the innocence we once held in trying to obtain our dreams has led us to an unfortunate path of avarice of many forms. Maybe our scope of morality and justice has become distorted through the challenges we face as individuals. Whatever the psychological, sociological and political sources of today's woes, the fact that people like Meik Wiking are trying to approach these ...more
Marieke
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Toen ik zag dat er een nieuw boek was van de schrijver van Hygge: de Deense kunst van het leven, wist ik dat ik dit boek ook wilde lezen. Dus ik reserveerde hem bij de bibliotheek, haalde hem op en begon meteen!

In Lykke vertelt de schrijver over geluk. Hoe kunnen we gelukkig worden? Welke dingen spelen allemaal een rol bij geluk? En hoe zorg je zelf voor een gelukkiger leven? Voor dit boek heeft de schrijver heel veel onderzoeken gelezen. En daarnaast heeft hij zelf ook veel onderzoeken naar gel
Beth Bonini
The world definitely needs more Lykke right now . . . and one of the most profound points that the author makes in this book is that individual happiness and communal happiness are inextricably linked. Focusing on six major indicators of happiness - togetherness, money, health, freedom, trust and kindness - Wiking breaks down why some communities (or countries) are doing a better job than others in creating happy citizens. Inequality, unfairness and injustice are the 'enemy', while empathy, trus ...more
Kirsty
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: october-2017, kindle
Publishers certainly seem to be milking the current interest in Scandinavian lifestyle books; The Little Book of Lyyke: The Danish Search for the World's Happiest People is by the author of The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well, which I found rather lovely. The intention of Wiking's second book is 'to take you treasure hunting; to go in pursuit of happiness; to find the good that does exist in the world - and to bring this into the light so that, together, we can help it spread.' ...more
Jo
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this in the giveaways in exchange for an honest review. Following on from The Little Book of Hygge, Wiking looks at happiness around the world and talks about the studies he's done. This is a beautifully presented little book with illustrations and photographs throughout. I'm not sure if I agree with everything but we all definitely need a little more care and joy in our lives.
Yasmine
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chouette lecture légère, inspirante et inspirée sur le bonheur à travers le monde. Le ton de Meik Wiking est léger et drôle, et quand on referme ce livre on se dit qu'il faudrait sans doute faire plus de choses comme nos voisins danois !

Pas forcément à lire d'une traite, mais à picorer, feuilleter de temps à autres pour se souvenir de prendre le temps du bonheur...
Scott
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this one to be pretty disappointing. The author apparently researches happiness through a think tank in Denmark. According to him, there are six elements to happiness: health, money, togetherness, trust, freedom, and kindness. Each chapter of the book goes over these elements: the meaning behind them, some studies showing some relationships within that element, and then some tips to get happier in that element. That all sounds pretty good, but in practice, I didn't find The Little Book o ...more
Dannii Elle
This short self-improvement book was created with the intention of guiding the reader towards a happier existence by adopting some of the facets from the Danish way of living. As much as I appreciated the anecdotes about Danish life and the multitude of data that was compiled and included to back up each of the theories towards their continuing happiness, I found little to take away from this and assimilate into my own life. Listening to a few chapters every morning was an uplifting way to start ...more
Tina
Loved this! So much more inspiration than The Little Book of Hygge.
Mollyvknize
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lykke mě bavilo víc než Hygge - zřejmě proto, že mi i více předalo. Vizuálně je to opět skvost :)
Ksenia (vaenn)
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, relax
Книжка Міка Вікінга про хюґе пояснювала, як жеж бідні данці виживають посеред своєї споконвічної сірості. А оця книжечка уже про щастя взагалі - вірніше, про роботу Міка Вікінга та те, чим вона (на його думку) є корисною. Він ділиться статистикою, роз'яснює, на які критерії вони спираються в роботі Інституту дослідження щастя, докладно аналізує ці критерії, розкладає по шухлядках, аналізує реальні кейси, що в ці шухлядки гарно вкладаються - таке всяке. Заразом трішки філософствує про природу щас ...more
Rebecca
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. There was quite a lot of information about happiness and what can make people happy. I didn't love this one as much as his first book but I still quite enjoyed this one.
Inge
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely.
Natalia
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5★ - REVIEW IS UP ON MY BLOG - https://boookishvegan.wordpress.com/2...

MY FULL REVIEW:
Release Date: 7th September 2017

Genre: Non-Fiction & Self-Help

Read: July 2018

Rating: ★★★★★

Brief description:
From the author of the international bestseller The Little Book of Hygge

Lykke (Luu-kah) (n): Happiness

It’s easy to see why Denmark is often called the world’s happiest country. Not only do they have equal parental leave for men and women, free higher education and trains that run on time, but they b
Biljana
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nakon The Little Book of Hygge, objavljene 2016., prošla godina donijela je svojevrsni nastavak: The Little Book of Lyke, ili kako u hrvatskom prevodu glasi - Lykke - Potraga za najsretnijim ljudima na svijetu.

Lykke je podijeljena na devet poglavlja od kojih šest govore o dijelovima slagalice koji ljude čine srećnijim: zajedništvo, novac, zdravlje, sloboda, povjerenje i ljubaznost, a unutar ovih šest poglavlja nalaze se razrada teme, savjeti i primjeri drugih ljudi.

Obogaćena brojnim statističkim
Charlotte Langstroth
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Everything runs smoothly in Denmark. Well, almost. Four years ago, one train did arrive five minutes late. The passengers each got a letter of apology from the prime minister and a designer chair of their choice as compensation.”
I read “The Little Book Of Lykke” on and off between being in Denmark and now - so nearly two months. A long time for such a short book but I wanted to be able to relate the content and practices in reflection to my own lifestyle.
From front to back this is like a litt
Ali Caitrin
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I have been a big fan of Meik ever since I read The Little Book of Hygge. With that in mind, I had high hopes for his next book and it has still managed to exceed my expectations!

Meik understands that each of us are unique and I loved that he shared what can make people happy from all over the world, not just the Danes. He also didn't write this book to tells us all the answers but instead gives us a 'treasure map' to help us on our journey!

If you're looking for a read that'll make you smile a
Zoe (readabilitea)
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was going to be a disappointing read, nothing but a publisher's ploy to make more money out of a tried and tested author (and let's face it, it still is) BUT I really loved reading this. I loved the photos included, and I loved the style of illustrations. I liked the global view it took but still with an element of focus on Denmark a.k.a. my future home. I also loved how the inclusion of resources/apps/websites etc which can help us all be happier.
Hannah
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Little Book of Lykke was my first read of 2018, and it was the perfect choice to start the year off positively. I highly recommend it to everyone. It’s an excellent follow-up book to The Little Book of Hygge, full of inspiration for how you can participate in creating a kinder, happier world. You’ll want to be a better person after reading it.
Harlen
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kinda fun and not serious. I liked the examples of how people have created communities and happiness in their lives.
Rita
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neste volume Meike Wiking explora a felicidade (e a procura dela) em coisas mais realistas e quotidianas como o dinheiro e saúde. Apesar de ser muito interessante tal como O Livro do Hygge, neste livro houve uma abordagem mais seguida por histórias reais que, apesar de muito interessantes e importantes, achei um pouco mais "massudo" ao passo que a leitura no volume anterior é muito mais simples.
No fundo, gostei da leitura mas preferi o primeiro livro do autor.
Clare
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rosanne
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Een mooi boek, met een fijne positieve insteek. Er staan absoluut nuttige tips in, maar ik vind het geen must-read. Gewoon een leuk boek voor tussendoor :).
Meik Wiking is CEO of the Happiness Research Institute, research associate for Denmark at the World Database of Happiness, and founding member of the Latin American Network for Wellbeing and Quality of Life Policies. He and his research have been featured in more than five hundred media outlets, including The Washington Post, BBC, Huffington Post, the Times (London), The Guardian, CBS, Monocle, th ...more
“(P)sychologists at the new School for Social Research found that fiction books improve our ability to register and read others' emotions and, according to an article in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology, research also shows that literary fiction enhances our ability to reflect on our problems through reading about characters who are facing similar issues and problems.” 4 likes
“See experiences as an investment in happy memories and in your personal story and development.” 4 likes