Start by marking “Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!” as Want to Read:
Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!

Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  387 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Forget Faludi--Cynthia Heimel has been telling her readers about the "backlash" for years, and about its pernicious effects not only on the psyches of women but also on the lives of men, children, cats, and dogs. This collection confirms how indispensible she has become as a guide through the maelstrom of our times.

This is vintage Heimel-the caustic wit, the chronic truth
Published July 16th 2004 by Grove Press

Be the first to ask a question about Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
2,573 books — 2,507 voters
Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerYou Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning by Celia RivenbarkStop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank by Celia RivenbarkMiss Taken by Cleo ScornavaccaBright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster
Titles I love
177 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen
Aug 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all females
This book is collections of short stories reflecting on the social landscape of 1993, when it was written. While she does say not to wear heels with jeans, a bit dated, most of what she writes is still timely, but most of all funny, really funny. It was a book that had me laughing aloud on the train.
In one chapter she admits it is difficult for men to figure us female out....
"That's why the girl you thought you were doing great with runs away. And won't come back. She'll go to the other side of
Cynthia
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
I had some high hopes for a book with such a funny title/cover.

But! It felt really outdated (Pub 1993, with some articles from 1986). Lots of simplistic rants and random stories with not a real point or laugh to be found. But flawed logic and ridiculous theories abound. There's a few good points and bits of good advice, but they are not novel.

Some parts that annoyed:

"If you want to have a baby on your own, you have to fight your very nature...You must overcome every primitive instinct."

"If she
Anne
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Well, T***p is president so I wanted to read something funny and feminist to lift my spirits. I found this in a used bookstore and thought it would be fun to read some '90s feminism. I was just a babe back then, and I was raised in a Rush Limbaugh loving household, so I thought it would be cool to go live the '90s through a feminist lens.

Oof. It was really cringeworthy at times. I'm grateful that feminists have worked harder now to be a little more inclusive and insightful. (Though there's stil
Matty B
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ergens half of eind jaren 90 gelezen. Ik herrinner me tranen en snottebellen van 't lachen. Misschien nog eens in de kast zoeken. Moet er nog ergens staan.
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
So before I made a special trip to the Allen library to get this book, I re-checked the reviews.  They ranged from, "It was hilarious!" to, "Not funny at all."   Or more like, not-funny-by-reason-of-ideology.  People didn't laugh at this book because they didn't agree with it.  Agree with it?!?   It's humor!  Since when do you agree with humor?  Take my wife--please.  Is that a sexist remark?

I don't think readers treated this in the same way they would a book by a male writer.  I think they took
David
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
title caught my eye at the library. Essay collection by a comic writer, described on the jacket as "an Erma Bombeck for a new generation" (hmmmm.....is that supposed to make me want to read it?). Some of the material from this 1993 book was dated (hey, how come nobody's answering machine works?; why aren't people more outraged about Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn?), some more timeless but pretty predictable (why women like bad boys; it's upsetting to shop for bikinis at my age.....) and not very ...more
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, nonfiction, essays
Time for a reread. All I can remember about Heimel now is that she was funny as hell and she had a son. Also, I should try to see how many Heimel books I have and make sure they're shelved together, because I'm reasonably sure that after I read one, I'm going to want to read the others, and probably Veronica will see one lying around, and remember that she also likes Heimel, and then I'll end up buying any I don't already have. Best to be prepared, unlike the Nora Ephron binge of 2016.

Personal c
melydia
Jun 23, 2008 rated it liked it
This collection of columns is at once funny, exasperating, and disheartening. I found it difficult to read large amounts in a single sitting; the rage against society expressed in some of the essays was simply exhausting. I also am not nearly as enamoured of the Baby Boomers as the author, nor do I believe that any one political party is the cause of or answer to all of my problems. But there is more than enough humor and wisdom in these pages to quiet my complaints. I'm not sure I'll go out of ...more
Stephanie Brackett
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
cynthia heimel is one of the most clever post feminist authors i have ever read. she never shoves her message down your throat and yet she still gets her point across very effectively. she also voices common feminine woes "i wish i were a lesbian" the fact that even though a large part of her hates men another large parts of her loves them and can't stop sleeping with them. this book more accurately described my feelings about men and feminism than any other.
Stephanie Tuell
i didn't like the book. honestly, i didn't even finish it. i read half of it, got tired of it, so i skimmed through the rest seeing if there was any reason for me to continue. i didn't find any so i have just decided to put it down. maybe it's because alot of the things she is talking about, i'm too young to understand. i don't really know. i didn't find any of her rants at all funny.
Leslie
May 30, 2010 rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable set of humorous short pieces about life, the universe, and everything. Well, really, feminism, families, the times, relationships between men and women, and L.A. But anyway. She has good perspectives and insight into lots of things. Read when you need a pick me up, a gentle kick in the rear, or a mild chortle.
elissa
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of humorous essays
I can't remember where I got this book originally, but I still own it, and remember how funny I thought it was. I vividly remember lying on a park bench in Paris (taking a break after the Louvre), and getting to read a bunch of these essays.
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Heimel offers a interesting perspective from an older generation,- one can forget how naive people were about President Clinton in the beginning, or the virulant hatred Regan invoked.
It's in article form, so pick and choose.
Susan
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Brilliant. Timeless.
Caroline
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just like the title - terribly witty, incredibly feminist and a bit of good fun.
Chamie
Mar 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
It did make me laugh out loud a few times.
Ethan
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
meh.
Tabbitha Lindsley
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Funny and unbelievably witty. Cynthia Heimel's advice about sex, life, and being a woman is funny, yet so true all at the same time. Great read, sure to make you laugh.
Nicola
Hilarious!
James
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Another great collection of essays from one of the funniest writers around! Read'em and laugh.
Barbara
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Maybe not as good as If You can't Live Without Me, Why aren't you dead yet? But pretty, pretty good. She is abit too Boomeresque at times.
Sharon