Start by marking “Even Vegans Die: A Practical Guide to Caregiving, Acceptance, and Protecting Your Legacy of Compassion” as Want to Read:

Even Vegans Die empowers vegans and their loved ones to make the best decisions regarding their own health, their advocacy for animals, and their legacy. By addressing issues of disease shaming and body shaming, the authors present a manifesto for building a more compassionate, diverse, and effective vegan community. Even Vegans Die celebrates the benefits of a plant-based ...more
Published May 1st 2017 by Lantern Books

To ask other readers questions about Even Vegans Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Even Vegans Die

Start your review of Even Vegans Die: A Practical Guide to Caregiving, Acceptance, and Protecting Your Legacy of Compassion
Lisa Vegan
Full disclosure: One of the authors, an online friend since 2007 at Goodreads and elsewhere too, gave me a copy of the book. Also, I was interviewed as a participant for the book as it was being written.

I recommend this book for all vegans, especially those who have shamed others or been shamed for anything other than optimal health, all those who believe in end of life planning, all feminists, all disability activists, all caregivers and those who need the help of caregivers, all those who fear
A. Breeze Harper
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, a fantastic and first of its kind to address the many myths and false promises of a vegan diet.... but from pro vegan authors who are well known in their fields. They call out the ableism, illness shaming, the fat shaming, and denial of death that thousands of vegans proselytize.
I love how they write things that address how of course Christine Brinkley look "good"--- but it is not because of a vegan diet. They note that it is because she is wealthy as hell and can afford the money it ta
Martin Rowe
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm the publisher of this book, and I thought I'd make a few observations. This book is something of a personal project for me, given the deaths of a couple of vegan acquaintances in the last few years who had not prepared psychologically or legally for their passing, with the result that their final legacy was compromised. Carol, Ginny, and Patti did a fantastic job not only in making sure that we vegans—who may think our diet provides us with immortality—know how to get our estates in order bu ...more
Ireene
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Important book that all vegans should read. Most vegans think about death when we talk about animals who are killed for human desires. But most of us don't want to think about our own inevitable death. Sometimes we create this illusion that plant based diets protect us from all the illnesses but the reality is that even vegans can get ill and die prematurely. "Even Vegans Die" helps vegans to think about these issues, and offers lots of practical advise. This is much needed and much appreciated ...more
Sara
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super quick and interesting read!
I think it’s a valuable source for all vegans (and even non-vegans). It makes you think about health and health- and body-shaming.
Not every vegan is an example of health, and even if you are it can be just temporary. We can all get sick and we should all take this into consideration.
The book also talks about an ethic of care, which is so important, even in everyday life.
The part about death, will, etc. is also interesting, but some topics are specific for the US
Laura JC
A catchy main title, a perfectly descriptive subtitle and a small book full of good advice. As other reviewers have noted, this book can serve as a guide to anyone, not just vegans. It does elaborate on vegan-specific topics, but it also covers generic subjects such as failing physical or mental health, disease shaming, compassion, leaving a legacy, mourning, burial options and the various documents we all should prepare in advance. A very helpful guide.

Joel
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Uncomfortable but I'm glad to have read it. Although it's brief and businesslike, still the talk about companion animals mourning made me tear up. This will be a great resource to have on hand on that hopefully distant day when I or my partner need to confront serious illness or death.
Kim Stallwood
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended as a primer to knowing what to do about making difficult decisions about life and death.
Corvus
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even Vegans Die is a short and excellent read that many people- not only vegans- can benefit from. The book is part critique of many mainstream vegan movements' ableism and body shaming, part analysis of many humans' fears of and evasion of (inevitable) death, and part self-help book for vegans and others seeking to care for their loved ones and prepare for their own death. It is carefully written and centers kindness in its delivery.

I am a vegan with multiple chronic health conditions who is on
Maggie Mayhem
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: death, vegan
This book accomplishes so much in a very approachable manner. It combats the idea that being vegan is equivalent to good health, as well as healthism itself and reminds the reader that veganism is a commitment to ethics around our use of animals. It talks about compassion and how to be supportive of someone struggling with illness and dying. It covers a lot of ground on how to be there for caregivers. This book is both practical and philosophical making it a surprisingly easy read for the subjec ...more
Joan
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I especially liked the first part of this book and puts vegan diets in perspective. As a vegetarian, most of the time vegan, I especially appreciated the perspective of not having be perfect in your vegan living. Embracing even partial vegan living as honoring life in all forms and doing your part even if not perfect. I think the end could have been tightened up a little, TMI.
Michael
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First half: stating the obvious to anyone who has read some of the science and is aware that risk is a statistical measure.
Second half: dealing with death.

The first half seems to be addressed to people with strong beliefs following a YouTube hype. The second half has absolutely nothing to do with eating plants and there's most certainly better books written by psychologists.
Madeliene
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

An excellent resource for vegans with considerations for chronic illness, care-giving, and preparing for death in a responsible manner and as a means of continuing one's compassion and care afterwards.
Shel
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful advice and insight on end of life issues from a vegan perspective.
Andrianna
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as much helpful information as I'd hoped, but still a decent read for thoughtful vegans/animal activists.
Devin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This succinct and compassionate book offers a vegan perspective on death and illness. Caring for humanity is just as important as caring for non-humans. This is exactly the sort of discussion vegans need to have.
Philboyd

• Eating Animals
  • How to Create a Vegan World: A Pragmatic Approach
  • How Not to Diet: The Groundbreaking Science of Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • The Joyful Vegan: How to Stay Vegan in a World That Wants You to Eat Meat, Dairy, and Eggs
  • The Other Mother: A wickedly honest parenting tale for every kind of family
  • Gentleman Jack: A Biography of Anne Lister, Regency Landowner, Seducer and Secret Diarist
  • The Language of Kindness: A Nurse's Story
  • Idiot
  • Everything Is Awful: And Other Observations
  • Animal Liberation
  • Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others
  • Veganism in an Oppressive World: A Vegans-of-Color Community Project
  • The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
  • The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • The Book of Pride: LGBTQ Heroes Who Changed the World
  • Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World
Carol J. Adams is a feminist-vegetarian theorist and author of books on eco-feminism and the links between species oppression and gender oppression.