Start by marking “Before Elizabeth: The Story of Anne de Bourgh” as Want to Read:
Before Elizabeth: The Story of Anne de Bourgh

Before Elizabeth: The Story of Anne de Bourgh

" ... as the likelihood of my being joined by a brother diminished with each ensuing year, [my mother] consoled herself by arranging, in her own mind at least, a match between her daughter and her sister's only son - between myself and my cousin Fitzwilliam Darcy... known in the family circle as William. There. I have done it. I have forced my pen to write his name."
Confin
Published April 16th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Before Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before Elizabeth

Start your review of Before Elizabeth: The Story of Anne de Bourgh
Debbie
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5+ stars

What a wonderful, beautifully-written book! Anne de Bourgh tells her life story in her own words. Part of it runs parallel with Pride and Prejudice with the plot identical in every respect except for the altered point of view.

Anne is introduced as a bright, healthy, typical young girl. Louis de Bourgh is her doting father and much milder mannered than her mother. The de Bourghs see the Fitzwilliams and Darcys often enough that Anne is comfortable with her cousins and they are all on frie
Magenta Wise
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book.
‘Before Elizabeth’ is a moving account of Anne de Bourgh’s life, from her childhood, to the health problems she suffered, her marriage prospects and the overall course of her life. Her expectations of becoming engaged to her cousin, a certain Mr Darcy, do not go quite as expected, and we are gripped by her story as we quickly turn the pages to learn whether she finds happiness or not. The author perfectly invokes Jane Austin’s period and the characters are beautifully drawn, es
Helene
Feb 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Written by a Jane Austen fan.
Whatever others think about writers using classics to add their own spin or interpretation to, I welcome it and can choose which ones to read or not. It is not as if we are forced to read them so people should stop being so stuck up about it.
This little book was fun. I love it that Rohase Piercy identified a much maligned character in Pride and Prejudice and gave her a bit of the spotlight. Her domineering mother, Lady C de Bourgh is a pretty hateful woman in the ori
wosedwew
Lou
Mar 23, 2021
Shannon Dunn
Oct 20, 2020
Rohase Piercy was born in London in 1958 and now lives in Brighton (on the South Coast of England) with her husband Leslie, dog Spike and a fluctuating number of racing pigeons. She has two grown-up daughters.
When her debut novel, 'My Dearest Holmes' was published by the Gay Men's Press in 1988 it provoked howls of outrage from the Sherlock Holmes Society of London and from the mainstream media -

News & Interviews