Start by marking “The Duchess” as Want to Read:
The Duchess

The Duchess

The incomparable Danielle Steel breaks new ground as she takes us to nineteenth-century England, where a high-born young woman is forced out into the world--and begins a journey of survival, sensuality, and long-sought justice.

Angelique Latham has grown up at magnificent Belgrave Castle under the loving tutelage of her father, the Duke of Westerfield, after the death of he
Published July 13th 2017 by Macmillan (first published June 27th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Duchess, please sign up.
Lady Hermione 25,000 pounds....she was more or less a millionairess by today's standards, and given the currency of the time, would have needed an enormous bag to…more25,000 pounds....she was more or less a millionairess by today's standards, and given the currency of the time, would have needed an enormous bag to carry it in.

Nobody with that amount of money would have needed to work, and no upper-class woman would have done so had she not needed to (and had no relations who would keep her)(less)
Lady Hermione As 25,000 pounds was a fortune in those days and would have allowed her to live extremely well , there seems no point in her becoming a nanny. They…moreAs 25,000 pounds was a fortune in those days and would have allowed her to live extremely well , there seems no point in her becoming a nanny. They weren't called that in those days, anyway.

People could live on 50 pounds a year then !(less)

MaryannC.Book Fiend
Originally 3 Stars. A fairly quick read that I will say was Historical Fiction fluff. 18- year old Angelique Latham has just lost her father The Duke of Westerfield when her half brothers from the Duke's first marriage promptly throw her out since British Law does not entail women to inherit only the first born son. On her father's deathbed he secretly gives her a large sum of money to live by in case her greedy brothers didn't help her, with that, her newly titled brother Tristan informs her th ...more
Suzanne
The beginning you will just hate a lot of the characters. However, as the book goes on you are so wrapped up in Angelique's unfolding story that you can overlook the meh moments at the beginning. Redemption is beautiful!

Overall, a great lead character who you cannot help but root for. Her way of redeeming career move is one very unforgettable route!
kathie
OMG...I am half embarrassed to even admit I read this book but here goes. The last time I read a Danielle Steel book has to be at least 25 years ago. However, I see this historical (almost always my first choice) highly rated (GR: 4.21 and Amazon over 4 stars) novel available to borrow as an e-book from Overdrive library. I figure what the heck, perhaps I should give Steel another chance. If I were to buy the book on Amazon it would be $14.99 so why not take the opportunity to borrow.
I should h
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
My book club read this month was a Danielle Steel book of our choice. I selected a recent release from the worldwide bestselling author, The Duchess. I was quite taken in by the beautiful cover that features an aristocratic woman in an eye-catching hat. I was also in the mood for a historical fiction novel and The Duchess seemed to fulfil my needs.

Belgrave Castle, owned by the Duke of Westerfield in Hertfordshire, is the home to Angelique Latham. The daughte
Jennifer Manley
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story!

By the time I was finished with this I felt emotionally drained from reading about this one woman's life. So many ups and downs especially downs but when she triumphed boy did she ever. But going through her losses with her just wrung me out. I have read Steel all my life but I have to say that for some reason I related to this woman I felt her pain and suffering and I felt her joy and love and happiness. Steel just did a magnificent job with her character and she came alive f
Betsy Wolfenden
For such an accomplished author, this book was awful. The plot was thin, predictable and the character development was poor at best. Why does the author feel she needs to tell us what the characters think. Why not reveal it through better dialogue.

Don't waste your money or your time....

Jayne
Nov 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the spirit of trying everything at least once, I picked this up.

It was very floofy and felt like what you might get at a creative writing workshop. The premise was interesting but suffered terribly at the hands of bad writing. I'm not quite sure how or why Steel can be so popular. The whole book felt like a never-ending summary and the writing was childlike.

Am never coming back to Steel again.
Bj
*I gave this audiobook a B+ for the story and A for the narration at AudioGals*

Narrated by Gideon Emery

It has been a long time since I’ve read or listened to a Danielle Steel story. The blurb of The Duchess intrigued me though, so I thought I’d go back to try the latest from an author that used to be a mainstay on my library shelves. Interestingly, The Duchess turned out to be more historical fiction than romance, though it does have romance elements. Moreover, the plot of this story set in Lond
Denise
Jul 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, the story did not live up to expectations. The most interesting part of the story was Paris and that just felt rushed and was completely lacking the details and time it deserved. By the time she got to New York, I just didn't give af anymore what happened.
Jeanne
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In typical Danielle Steel fashion, we have lifestyles of the rich and famous, but around the times of the French Revolution. "The Duchess" basically goes from riches to rags . . . will she get back to riches? Read to see how this inspiring and entrepreneurial young woman makes lemonade out of lemons! Enjoyable read - 6 out of 10.
ℨαrα

The Duchess is is certainly a heart wrenching tale, and it has a very strong beginning and ending in my opinion — easily worth 4-5 stars. And that was very nearly the rating I would’ve given it.

However, after the high (you know the high and amplified emotions you experienceright after completing a book) had passed, I found myself unable to ignore the problems during the middle portion of the book, during which there is a certain element that I felt justified something because of the m
Marianne
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story is a little far fetched. But the main reason I just started to skim through it, was that many things were very repetitive. I really got tired reading the same thing over and over.
Amy
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Steel's The Duchess started off regally but had a pauper continuance. I felt the overabundance of misfortune that fell-upon Angelique Latham took away from the novel and at one point I even said "enough already!" The final chapters made up for the lackluster middle but I was disappointed in the read and was surprised to find others giving it such high marks. Although my favorite Steel genre is when she takes on historical matters such as in "Echoes" I felt this one was a noble intent but without ...more
KYReader
Regular Danielle Steel. Heroine is battered by life. Makes it through tragedy after tragedy. Finally happy and husband dies. Gets back at everyone who's wronged her.
Ashley Daviau
This wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t great either, definitely not my favourite Danielle Steele that I’ve read! The story was quite dry at times and only really picked up and got interesting towards the end. I thought the main characters decisions were a little unbelievable and it affected my enjoyment of the book quite a bit. Her decisions led to interesting parts of the story but I just couldn’t get past how illogical and unlikely it was.
Kathryn
Enjoyable enough. However a little too much telling with long sections of prose. Just felt a tad lack of character development or something. I liked the main character but felt a step removed from her.
E. H. Nathasia
My rating 3.5/5. Sigh, it's been a while since I read a Steel. It warms my heart, the plot reminds me of Harlot TV series. A good read on a cold day with a warm tea, I'd say.
Bev Taylor
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
orphaned. betrayed. determined.

angelique loves her father, the duke of westerfield. his daughter by his second wife, a frenchman, there is no love lost between her and her 2 brothers born to the duke's first wife, whom they also disliked

when the duke died, tristan throws her out, despite her father asking that she should stay in the castle as long as she likes and then moves into a cottage on the estate. worse, he disowns her as a far, lowly cousin and gives her employment as a nanny with a fa
Judy
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
predictable, but a good read anyway.
Ruth
Jun 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel is the best selling author ALIVE and the 4th best seller of ALL TIME according to Wikipedia. Can 650 million people be wrong? I asked myself, my eye being caught by the attractive cover at the hospital book shop.

It seems they can.

And my dear, sweet GoodReads companions, you have scored this novel 4.04. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!

I'm sorry but you need to be told, this is a truly poor book and, whilst all respect to Ms Steel for building up such a huge readership whilst raising 9 ki
Ashley Abbott
May 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 1.5 stars.

I'm doing a fair bit of travelling at the moment and I've seen The Duchess a lot in airport bookshops. I have heard of Danielle Steel before but haven't read any of her books so when I saw that this one was available from my online library I thought I would give it a go. The thing is, I actually thought it was okay for about 60% of the book but then all of a sudden I couldn't stand it.

The writing is extremely basic, naive and kinda juvenile. This is a very easy read.
Lubinka Dimitrova
I was going for 4 stars, but suddenly the last 1/3 of the book spiraled off into predictable cliches that summarily wrapped up the story. It was a nice story that I oddly enough enjoyed while reading it, but cannot seem to find the reason why after having finished it.
lacy
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DS's latest books have really been hitting the mark lately! A woman, who is a duchess with royalty on both sides of her family, owning a brothel after being a nanny? She has never written something like that! Or if she has, I haven't read it yet. She is on a roll and I'm really glad I picked up her books again.

The story of Angelique was so heartbreaking and maddening. I can't believe the way nobility treat their own flesh and blood. I hated the way nobility treated their servants. i was just so
Sheila Siarkiewicz
Another excellent read from Danielle Steel. I had a hard time putting it down! Definitely recommend!
Alaa | آلاء
Apr 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had the most anticlimactic plot I've ever seen. It bored me out of my wits and I just wanted to get it over with.
Connie Fischer
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Belgrave Castle, built more than 200 years ago, is the home of Phillip Latham, Duke of Westerfield. Tristan is the eldest and Edward is the youngest and are sons of the Duke and his first wife, Arabella. The woman died when the boys were young. Some years later, Phillip married Marie Isabelle, daughter of a French Marquis with close connections to the French king who died in the French Revolution She gave birth to a daughter, Angelique, but died two days later. Phillip adores his daughter and ha ...more
Randy Tramp
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angelique Latham, daughter of the Duke of Westerfield, is thrown out of the castle she'd grown up in. She nannies several children, then, unfortunately, looses her job. Angelique moves to Paris, but can't find any employment. Rescuing a young woman fleeing an abusive madam, gives her an idea. Open a brothel.

When I first read the description of the book I nearly put The Duchess back on the shelf. (I like clean reads.) I wasn't disappointed. Angelique stayed true to her honorable self, through out
Jane
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Badly edited (e.g. French used 3 times in one sentence) and historically inaccurate (peers can't sell their titles for example). Wanted some escapism but just annoyed.
Abby
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed emotions about this throughout the whole book. The ending really saved it for me. Angelique coming out on top like she did kept this from being a 3 star rating. What I really didn't like about it was that after reading the overview you really don't need to read the book. Everything that happens you already know about from the overview, you just get the details from the rest of the story. That takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me. Not to mention anything that happens that wil ...more
Donna
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Eighteen year old Angelique Latham's father, the Duke of Westerfield, is near death when he gives her a large packet of money because he's afraid her half-brother will not take care of her once he dies. He was right. The new Duke immediately sends her away to work as a nanny. She's successful at this job but a man makes a pass at her which she rejects and she is fired from her position. With no chance of getting a job without a reference, she goes to Paris and establishes the most sou ...more

• Redemption Song
  • The Blacksmith's Wife (The Danby Brothers, #1)
  • Inevitable and Only
  • Simeon's Story: An Eyewitness Account of the Kidnapping of Emmett Till
  • Secrets from the Past
  • A Thirst for Home: A Story of Water across the World
  • Miss Marley: The Untold Story of Jacob Marley’s Sister
  • House of Cads (Ladies of Scandal, #2)
  • The Earl Claims a Bride (The Heirs' Club of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Life on the Ramona Coaster
  • Sellout
  • Judy and I: My Life with Judy Garland
  • Just Getting Started
  • The Fire Court (Marwood and Lovett, #2)
  • Manor of Secrets
  • True Spies (Lord and Lady Spy, #2)
  • Early One Morning
  • It Is Well with My Soul: The Extraordinary Life of a 106-Year-Old Woman
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
“She had no idea where the future would lead her or what it would look like, but whatever happened, she was determined to survive it.” 2 likes
“Courage is not the absence of fear or despair, but the strength to conquer them.” 1 likes