Start by marking “The Deepest Grave (Fiona Griffiths, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Deepest Grave (Fiona Griffiths, #6)

The Deepest Grave

(Fiona Griffiths #6)

It's been more than a year since Detective Sergeant Fiona Griffiths had any sort of murder case . . . when all of a sudden, she gets the call. A local archaeologist has been found bloodily murdered. Her head severed from her body. Her eyes apparently fixed on a fragment of Latin text.

The crime seems to summon the ghosts of Dark Age Britain - and the shade of King Arthur.

Published September 5th 2017 by Orion (first published June 13th 2017)

Start your review of The Deepest Grave (Fiona Griffiths, #6)
Paromjit
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the latest installment in the DS Fiona Griffiths series, one of the most unusual and compelling protagonists in crime fiction. There are occasions in this novel where Fiona's actions and thoughts make me feel uncomfortable but I still think the world of her. Based in Cardiff, Fi is mooching around, pondering on the fact that it has been 462 days since her last corpse, until she arrives at the scene of a body that has been beheaded. The victim is archaeologist Dr Gaynor Charteris, and ...more
Brenda
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I start with this book?!

Fiona Griffiths: I have loved this character from the first book. She's headstrong, quirky, self-aware, loyal. She's a detective with good instincts. She gets into dangerous situations with good intentions. She has had a serious mental condition in the past. To get her history, read this series from the beginning with Talking to the Dead.

The men: Fiona’s boss, Dennis Jackson, regularly tells her she’s a pain in the arse but he understands her. Bleddyn Jones must
Gary
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 6th book in the Fiona Griffiths series by author Harry Bingham. I was given a short story a few months ago by the author as a taster for this series and was instantly drawn to the lead character Fiona Griffiths. My opinion was that this character would make great reading and I was looking forward to reading a full length novel. So when the opportunity came up to read one I was very excited to start it and I wasn't disappointed.
DS Fiona Griffiths is certainly not boring and as a lot
Ingrid
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I looked forward so much to reading this latest Fiona Griffiths, and now I've finished it..
It was as wonderful as all the other ones. I loved the way the Arthurian legend was woven in. It reminded me of the intense discussions I had with my English teacher whether Arthur had really existed or not when I was about 15.
Sandy
Tons of reviews already so I'll just add that while this is not my favourite in the series, it's always good to spend time with Fiona. Definitely one of the most original & compelling characters in crime fiction. I really enjoyed the historical angle & loved the twist/surprise info dropped at the end. Bring on #7!
Kathy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fiona bemoans the lack of corpses..."The figure is '453'...sheet beneath, there's similar figure, but in black biro, that says, '452'. And so on, all the way back to one that reads '19 December 2014, Rhdwyn Lloyd RIP.' Four hundred and fifty-three days since my last proper corpse." But then she is called to a grisly scene of murder that involved a decapitation. "As usual, no one has bothered to bring a suit that is even remotely in my size, so I go flapping around like someone struggling free of ...more
Heidi
I am so happy that I discovered the Fiona Griffiths series back in 2012, because I have been totally addicted to it ever since and it never disappoints! Everyone who has read Bingham’s books will know that Fiona is a very different character. Having suffered from a mental illness in her teens, she still struggles to fit into society, or “Planet Normal” as Fiona calls it, and in times of stress her illness recurs in feelings of dissociation from her own body and a strange connection to her dead ...more
Stephen Clynes
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follow Detective Sergeant Fiona Griffiths in her sixth novel working with the South Wales Police from Cardiff. This book can be read as a standalone, which was good as I have not read any of Harry's other books. The Deepest Grave is a murder investigation that is told as a first person narrative, so your focus is all about Fiona.

I am a fan of first person narrative novels and Harry gives you the personality of Fiona straight off the bat. I kept thinking of Nessa from Gavin and Stacey, although
Dolf Patijn
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely, totally love this series. This sixth book is at the same high standard as the others and the story is just as gripping. This time it is all about ancient artifacts and Arthurian legend. I don't want to give away too much of the story. Read it yourself. And if you haven't read any of them yet, go read the whole series. It's brilliant.

In the author's note, Harry Bingham explains a bit about why he writes the way he does and justifies his plots and storytelling. It is nice to get a
Michael
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the notes by Bingham at the end of the book he says he reads reviews. I'm not sure if that makes me nervous or not. I mean, after all, he's a long way away and can't easily come and punch me in the nose if he doesn't like something I say. And considering the violence he writes about (in this book there is an archeologist who has her head chopped off for god's sake!) there may be reason to worry.

But I'm a brave soul, or maybe stupid, so I'm going to write a review anyway. Ha! Harry Bingham,
Kathleen (QueenKatieMae)
After reading all the Fiona Griffith books I have to say this one is my favorite. It involves the myth behind King Arthur, Fiona has a great new adversary for a supervisor (she hates his beard and power point inside-the-box way of thinking) and we finally get to see her dad in action (been waiting for that for a long time now). In essence, The Deepest Grave is so much fun.

You gotta love a book that starts out with an archeologist beheaded by her own sword. The story takes off from there and I
Hermien
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiona Griffiths is my favourite wacky police detective. The mystery is a bit of a stretch but I loved the humorous writing and learned a bit about the King Arthur legend.
CarolineFromConcord
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the offbeat Welsh detective Fiona Griffiths and her literate creator, who, if he quotes someone famous doesn't stop to say "Shakespeare" or "Wordsworth," but trusts readers to get it -- and doesn't care if they don't.

I admit I'm not getting as much of a kick out of the complicated technology in his plots as I used to, partly because so many authors use complicated technology. In this installment, the focus on Arthurian legend was more to my taste. And I was beyond thrilled about the
Manda
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another corker from Bingham with the fabulous Fiona Griffiths. I love the juxtaposition of her Police work and organised crime father - more relevant in this book than the previous ones.

This book has a wonderful historical angle - not always my cup of tea, but it works so well here. At the end of the book Bingham justifies the use of myth/legend/history, and I’d just like to say - nothing needs justifying to me when the stories and characters are as fabulous as this :)

I’d love Fiona to solve
Debra Askanase
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
My favorite Fiona Griffiths yet, with the first novel a close second. Hard to tell if I loved it so much for the Arthurian legend and references, which is always a soft spot for me, or for what a bad-a$$ she really shows herself to be in this installment. I wouldn't recommend starting with this book in the series, as the true power of this story is the rich history that Harry Bingham has created for each character, leading them to this point in their own evolution.

One SPOILER (though not a big
Mary
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Fiona book yet, and I have loved all of the previous ones.

Fiona is only truly happy when she is working a murder investigation, so it is with great relief when, after about a year and a half's dry spell (not a lot of complicated murder cases in Cardiff), she's assigned to work a murder inquiry under the supervision of her new boss, a by-the-rules powerpoint-driven control-freak one with a creepy beard. When she sees the body of the archaeologist, though, and its head, which has been
Hannelore Cheney
THE DEEPEST GRAVE is the 6th Fiona Griffiths book in the series. Without a doubt this is my favorite book of the year so far. I do find it a daunting task, writing reviews...who am I to critique an author? But since authors always have been a huge part of my life, I feel I need to pay them back by writing reviews, especially when I loved a book as much as this one.
I don't necessarily write what the book is about, other reviewers do that very well, so I like to express how a book makes me feel.
Maine Colonial
First off, I should say that this is the sixth book in the Fiona Griffiths series. If you’ve never read a Fiona Griffiths book, it’s not absolutely necessary to read all of the prior books to enjoy this one, but I would strongly urge you to read the first book in the series first.

That’s because getting Fiona’s back story is very helpful. After all, it’s not every day that your crime fiction detective has a history of having been institutionalized when suffering from Cotard’s syndrome. What’s
Val
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How I love this series, and The Deepest Grave did NOT let me down! Gripping! Fascinating! I loved that the crime was as bizarre as Fi, herself. She is such an intriguing and complex character. Impulsive and abrupt to the point of rudeness - and yet innately intuitive. Her abrasive qualities are always tempered by allowances for her mental vulnerability and her gutsy determination to always seek out the truth. I love how Fiona has evolved to where she is able to have a beautiful friendship with ...more
Karen Mossman
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew there were 6 books and right from the beginning and we were told a mystery would be solved. One that Fiona was looking into - who her real parents were, and why was she abandoned as a toddler. Bit disappointed that it wasn’t resolved after all. I’ve no doubt there will be a book 7 and perhaps more, but after reading all six, I would have liked to know.

The story was very good, very enjoyable, but not as good as previous books in my humble opinion.

However, I would definitely recommend these
Simona
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great read
Marcel Driel
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The plot is as outlandish and outrageous as Fiona Griffiths is, and that’s exactly what I love about it. Bring on the next book!
Novel Destination
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book 7 stars out of 5, I would. It IS that good. Book 6 in the DS Fiona Griffiths series and author Harry Bingham does not disappoint! Fiona actually makes a friend---okay, another strong female character who is actually dying. They both help us to better understand the powerful stories-myth or real man, King Arthur. What a grand adventure we find ourselves taking as we read along. The first-person narrative is highly effective.
This series is one of very few that I pre-order
Mary
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must say I received an advanced e-book copy from the author - many thanks Harry Bingham! But I need this one in print with a cleaned-up copy so will be buying The Deepest Grave as soon as I can.

On to the review. There's a spoiler towards the end of this book - not a big one and nothing to do with the case but if you don't like parts highlighted you may not want to read to the end of this review.

I love Fiona Griffiths. She's brilliant, strong - or rather resilient might be a better word - perhaps
Sandy
I received an ARC from the author, in return for an honest review.

The Deepest Grave is the 6th book in the Fiona Griffiths series, and the series just keeps getting better.

I enjoyed this series from the beginning. Fiona Griffiths is a quirky lead character, and, while I enjoyed the first book in the series, I was afraid that it could quickly get stale - there's only so much mileage that one can get from a protagonist's oddity.

Fortunately, her character has developed as the series went on, as she
Sherri Boyd
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I dont know if I can adequately explain how good this book is. I love mysteries, police procedurals, history and the possibility of, well...possibility.
The Deepest Grave hits all of those solidly and completely. This book is wonderfully written, puzzling, weird, intriguing, mystical ~ and Fiona is better than ever. She grows a little more human in each book but remains her freaky little self at the same time. For those of you who've yet to meet her--Fiona is weird, creepy, endearing, smart,
Clare
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Love this series. Love DS Fiona Griffiths, despite the fact that our moral compasses are pointed in different directions. Maybe not North and South, exactly, but if my aim is of the northerly inclination, then Fi's might read something like a NNW. All of which makes her that much more endearing to tidy little Catholics like me, who revel when she makes a sudden shift from shenanigans to noble deeds. Or vice versa. The way her mind works is fascinating, and I'd love to know ...more
Peter J.
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You and I might be hooked on now Sergeant Fiona Griffiths, but her new boss, DI Bleddyn Jones, head of the Major Crimes Unit in Cardiff, is not. Oh, yes, he is a good dedicated policeman, but he is soon giving Fi written warnings as he just does not get her weird modus operandi. Her previous boss, DCI Jackson, knew to give her just enough rope so that she just stopped short of hanging herself, but he is away giving serious thought to sailing off over the horizon.
Bored out of her tree, with no
Judy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiona meets Arthur

Loved this book, loved that Fiona's freak flag keeps on waving, but also was mesmerized by the archaeological and mythological and historical connections. Great read!
Judith Baxter
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Deepest Grave is the 6th book in the series but not having read the earlier books didn’t faze me or stop me from enjoying the book.

We are introduced to DC Fiona Griffiths, a young detective based in Wales who had suffered from and still might suffer from Cotard’s Syndrome. I didn’t know what that was either but Wikipedia tells us “Cotard delusion is a rare mental illness in which the affected person holds the delusional belief that they are already dead, do not exist, are putrefying, or have
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Time and Tide (D.C.  Smith #7)
  • Salt Lane (DS Alexandra Cupidi #1)
  • Lane: A Case For Willows And Lane
  • Deadland (DS Alexandra Cupidi #2)
  • River of Souls (Alice Quentin, #4)
  • Songbird: A Kings Lake Investigation
  • A Book of Scars (Breen and Tozer, #3)
  • Blood Symmetry (Alice Quentin, #5)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • One-way Tickets: A Case For Willows and Lane
  • A Private Investigation (D.C. Smith #8)
  • Bad Blood (DS Lucy Black, #4)
  • The Chalk Pit (Ruth Galloway, #9)
  • The Greek Island Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #1)
  • Fall Down Dead (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #18)
  • Murder in the Mind (Detective Inspector Skelgill Investigates Book 6)
  • The Rags of Time (D.C. Smith #6)
Harry Bingham is best known for his Fiona Griffiths crime series, which has drawn rave reviews from critics, authors and readers alike.

If you've read and enjoyed one of Harry's books, make diddle-darn sure that you've signed up to the Fiona Griffiths Readers Club, by hopping right over here:

You'll get a free, lovely welcome gift - and you'll be the very

Fiona Griffiths (6 books)
  • Talking to the Dead (Fiona Griffiths, #1)
  • Love Story, With Murders (Fiona Griffiths, #2)
  • The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths (Fiona Griffiths, #3)
  • This Thing of Darkness (Fiona Griffiths, #4)
  • The Dead House (Fiona Griffiths, #5)
“When, finally, I go into the office, I experience that weirdness I always get when I've been away any length of time. Weirded out by the normality. The way life without me seems to have been much the same as life with me, only presumably more peaceful and with slightly worse grammar.” 0 likes
“He looks sun-tanned. Real tanned, not the normal Welsh version, where an upper layer of skin might have taken a little colour, but the six layers beneath are still all white and scared and fragile.” 0 likes