Start by marking “Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone” as Want to Read:
Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone

Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone

After being picked on at school yet again, Alison Henry seeks refuge in her favorite place, the woods behind her cabin home. Her day couldn't get any worse. At least that's what she thinks before she spots the magnificent buck. Desperate to protect the deer from a teenage gang out to shoot him, Ali has no idea she's about to begin the adventure of a lifetime. This buck is ...more
Published July 15th 2017 by Mountainview Books, LLC (first published June 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“After being picked on at school yet again, Alison Henry seeks refuge in her favorite place, the woods behind her cabin home. Her day couldn't get any worse. At least that's what she thinks before she spots the magnificent buck. Desperate to protect the deer from a teenage gang out to shoot him, Ali has no idea she's about to begin the adventure of a lifetime. This buck is no ordinary deer, and it turns out Ali is no ordinary girl.
When she suddenly begins to hear the buck talki
Deena
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favoritereads
The magic and wonder of Narnia blended with the majesty and battle of The Lord of the Rings...that's what you'll discover in the pages of Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone.

This is a sweeping high fantasy tale of a girl seeking purpose, and a young woman who has lost her way. Animals that talk, creatures that will give you the shivers, and a friendship forged in the fire of conflict will draw you in and refuse to let go until the last page turns.

Four out of five stars because CLIFF HANGE
Gabriellyn
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Exciting Adventure!

Loved this story! It had a very Narnian flavor but with neat twists!

I enjoyed Ali’s character a lot. She was sweet, brave, and relatable.

The animals were so much fun! I loved Artemis!

I hope I can return to the world of Torone soon!
T. Darlington
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this one. :)
Lydia Howe
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is a reason C.J. Darlington is one of my favorite authors.

I've long seen this book around (well, for the last year or so anyway), but wasn't keen on picking it up because I don't do fantasy. But, in reality, the reason I don't do fantasy is because I don't like the magical elements - this book does it without any magic, and that scores so high in my book. Seriously, I wish more authors did this; it makes me so happy.

Part of the book seemed a bit slow to me and I wasn't fully into it, but
Gophergirl58
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always wanted to hear an animal talk, so through this book, I have! I thought that Darlington's story was great, and showed immense imagination. However, I have two suggestions to the author: First, I did not believe that Alison Henry's character acted nor spoke like a 12 year old, more like a girl more like fifteen? Second, I thought the speech of Alison Henry seemed too "perfect," as there was no slang that most kids use. Both points made the story a little less enjoyable for me, but I ...more
Kara
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a great book and the cover is so cool!! Loved Alison from the moment she appears, seriously great kid for one so young! There are A LOT of fantasy creatures in this book and ALL the animals are good. It was a perfect Narnian feel topped with a great hero/princess named Ciara, LOVED the names in this book!

Favorite character was Artemis the buck, he was a best friend and protector, written perfectly.

I thought this book was a stand alone, but it ends like there will be a sequel. Will defi
C.S. Wachter
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I don’t normally read middle-school books, I enjoyed Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone. It was interesting to follow Alison’s growth through adversity as she experiences another realm where she hears animals speak and gets involved in a battle for the crown. I look forward to seeing where the story goes from here.
Jennie Webb
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good kid's book. Interesting characters. Good plot.
My main concern is that there are some things that Alison does that are not safe for a kid to be doing. I also felt that the way she kept in going, even with her injury was unrealistic, and not a good thing.
Maybe she'll be a better example in the next book, as this one leaves you hanging!
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to be the next Interpreter for the animals!
Janice Clark
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Narnia-type adventure, with a hint of more to come. Well done.
Gary Deveau
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CJ Darlington takes us to Torone

This wonderful journey of a tale takes readers of every age on an adventure through the Kingdom of Torone. Alison Henry learns she is the bridge between the humans and animals which the prophecies foretold of. Alison must brave her way around a world she knows nothing about while acting as the interpreter for creatures she's only read about in fantasy books as well as familiar animals like those she has loved back in her home world. There are plenty of twists and
Margaret Nelson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this book on a camping trip - very appropriate :-) - and thoroughly enjoyed it! Darlington has done a great job of creating another realm with believeable characters and animals. I can hardly wait for the sequel!
Marjorie Hill
Oct 26, 2018
Pat Peterson
Mar 10, 2019
  • The One Year Experiencing God's Love Devotional
  • Clean Sweep (Squeaky Clean Mysteries, #14; Cold Case Squad, #2)
  • Shadowy Stillness (Halsin Chronicles #2)
  • Townhouse
  • The Nightmare Collection (Nightmare, #1-2)
  • Be Sweet
  • Fetching Sweetness (Love Unleashed, #2)
  • Caylee's Confessions
  • Transgression (Ambrosial Acres Book One)
  • I Would Die for You: One Student's Story of Passion, Service and Faith
  • Reintegration (Reintegration #1)
  • Tyrants and Traitors (Lion's Dynasty #1)
  • Hungry Is a Mighty Fine Sauce Cookbook: Recipes and Ramblings from the Belle of All Things Southern
  • The Librarian's Daughter the Story of Sage Greene
  • Chasing Forgiveness (Tala Prophecy)
  • Frostwalker
  • The Red Eye
  • Ezekiel's Bones
C. J.'s love of reading began when she was a kid dragging home bags of books from the library. When she was twelve she started dreaming about becoming a published author. That dream came true when her first novel Thicker than Blood won a national writing contest. It became the first book in the Thicker than Blood series, which also includes Bound by Guilt, Ties that Bind, and Running on Empty. She ...more