Start by marking “Daughter 4254” as Want to Read:
Daughter 4254

Daughter 4254

Daughter4254 used to think life in a community where art, music and names are outlawed would suffocate her creative spirit. Now that she’s rotting in a prison cell, she’s not sure her dying mother made the right choice when she entrusted her with the secrets of rebellion. Prison has given her plenty of time to relive every mistake and lose all hope.

Then she meets Thomas, a
Published November 7th 2017 by Owl Hollow Press

To ask other readers questions about Daughter 4254, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter 4254

Start your review of Daughter 4254
Jasmine
Full Review: Oct. 29, 2017

***Actual rating: 5/5 Mind-Blowing Stars***

Daughter4254 reminds me a lot of Under the Never Sky and Divergent trilogy. It’s like a mixture of the BEST ELEMENTS from both series, plus some extra bookalicious dressing on top. The story was set in a grey-ish world similar to that in The Giver. In this world, colors were considered “useless” because they did nothing but distracted people and resulted in unproductiveness. Thus, colors other than black, white, grey an
Kelly
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, dystopian, series
Seriously, this book caught me at the first chapter and I didn’t stop until it was over!

via GIPHY

The book goes back and forth in time from before she was imprisoned and then while she was imprisoned. Giving us clues of what happened to get her landed in jail!! My heart went out to Daughter4254. It was a sad life. And whenever hope was available, she took it!

The story takes place in the 22nd century after a great war. Now everything is government run. Including what job you will take, and
Erin Isgett
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of dystopian YA novels, but after reading so many of them, they can all start to sound alike. Not so with Daughter4254. When in our current society, the value of the arts is continually being undermined and minimized, a world in which the arts are being removed from both classrooms and communities isn't hard to imagine. But as with many revolutions, all it takes is one person to start questioning the status quo, and Daughter4254 is our girl. I love her personality, her curiosity, ...more
Taiwo | A Lifestyle Nerd
Summary: This book should have been better than it was.

I like the way it was written. Every chapter is an alternate “before” and “after”. The book starts with an “after” chapter (in the present), the next chapter is “before” (in the past) and this pattern goes on until the before catches up with the after.

Some authors may have written this in a terrible way but Leigh Statham was able to merge flashbacks and the present in a way that was seamless and beautiful.

Also, the characters weren’t bad. 4
Amanda Evans
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve never read a dystopian novel before so this book really took me surprise. The writing was excellent, the characters well developed, and I couldn’t read fast enough. I loved how the story flowed and the before and after chapters that explained everything. With Daughter4253 in prison for being different, we get to go on a journey to find out what happened to her. As a reader I was so involved in this story and wanted to know all the details. The story builds as it flows and I wanted so much f ...more
Katie Piccirillo Sherman
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are many dystopian novels on the market, but in an age where "creative" education is being removed from classrooms, Daughter4254 is particularly relevant. Readers will uncover a world that's frightening and palpable. They will encounter characters who are likably flawed. Moreover, the protagonist, Daughter4254, has something I wish we all had ... blind faith! Faith that something beautiful once existed and that beauty itself serves its own function. Faith that the world can be better. And ...more
Darby Karchut
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How good is Daughter 4254 by Leigh Statham? Well, I’m not a big fan of dystopian nor of YA, and I literally devoured this book in 3 days, reading late each night. It’s that good. The story has the classic feel of The Giver and Fahrenheit 451, with the gritty punch of Under the Never Sky and The Hunger Games. Looking forward to the sequel.
Jena
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"My mother's words come back to me: "Beware of beauty in this life, child. It will break your heart."

Daughter 4254 is a haunting dystopian set in a world far in the future. A world where only things deemed "useful" are legal. Beauty, art, love, color, compassion, laughter. These are not useful. They do not feed the population or help them fight illness, or live. so they are illegal. Forbidden. Names aren't useful, so citizens are given numbers instead.

We meet Daughter 4254 as she struggles in a
Dorothy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, dystopian
Story has notes of The Giver and 1984. From The Giver— the idea of controlling emotions, life is colorless, society chooses your purpose, main character is chosen to carry the burden of truth (from what I remember). From 1984, the idea of distrust and being watched (the Eye Cameras), lack of human intimacy and touch, rationing, brainwashing (both characters are captured and thrown in jail, tortured to some extent), discouraging creativity. So nothing really new that’s said?

I understand the main
Kay Kuever
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I first read the synopsis for Daughter4254, I was exactly sure what to expect out of a dystopian novel where everything I personally love and adore is outlawed. Part of me wasn't sure that I wanted to delve into that type of scenario, fiction or not. I'm extremely glad to have read this book.

After losing her mother to illness, Daughter4254 embarks on a journey set in motion for her after receiving a rather cryptic letter from her mother post-mortem. Suddenly, there is a new possible realit
Nyx S.
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites.

For those who don't know, I rate my books based on whether it is fast (not slow-paced) and whether it makes me want to re-read it. I usually don't like to re-read books, but books that make me want to are truly amazing. This is one of them.

I cannot describe in words how wonderful Daughter 4254 is. The parts that really interested me were her background information - that is, 4254's life before she ended up in prison. How hard she worked (even though it was at th
Shannon
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daughter 4254 by Leigh Stathom is a captivating YA Dystopian that keeps readers on the edge of their seats and begging for more. A unique blend between Lois Lowry’s 'The Giver' and George Orwell’s '1984,' Stathom paints a society purged of what Leaders deem the foundations for war: color, art, music, extreme emotions, and even names. Every behavior and action is watched and recorded by auto-eyes, and if a person shows signs of anarchy, they face the dreaded Mind Wipe. Readers follow Daughter 425 ...more
Carmen
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The story was ok but there was a huge lack of world building and context about how the society become that way. The author just give the reader a basic idea and that's all. The other thing that bothered me a lot about the book was the "instant love" which was not exactly instant. I liked the way it started but suddenly it become a "you're the love of my life and i can't leave without you but i barely know you" thing. It would have been much more realistic if the author kept the slow grow of the ...more
Joshua Springs
I think the biggest thing for me about this novel is that it feels comfortable. Like reading it I'm with some of my closest friends. There is action and danger, but for me this story was mostly about a girl trying to figure out herself after her mother passed away in a society where usefulness is the end all be all. What do you do when the only person who ever truly saw you as a person leaves? Do you follow their wishes, or do you try to forge your own path, since the thing they loved most about ...more
Dianna (SavingsInSeconds blog)
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The whole Big Brother vibe carries a terribly ominous mood throughout the book. It’s a thrilling allegory for the modern age. I highly recommend this book -- especially for fans of The Giver, Anomaly, and Divergent. It’s a quick read, and you’ll soon find yourself whisking to the end just to see what happens. I was lucky to be chosen for this book tour and received the ebook free of charge; opinions shared are mine.
Susahnah Beardall
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every time I need to be reminded of the wonders of life, I read this book. The story will suck you in as you read, regardless of how many times you’ve read it before. I also feel different allegiances to the characters each time, which enriches the story. This book deserves a spot on the shelf of your prized literary collection.
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book by Leigh Statham because I always had a hard time putting it down. I didn't want to stop reading and wanted to find out what would happen to Daughter 4254 (She is such a great character!). The story is very suspenseful and will keep you on edge. I also love the dystopian world that Statham created. I highly recommend this book!
Carole
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as an unpolished manuscript several years ago--I loved it then, and I love it even more now. Beautiful imagery mixed with a great, fast-moving plot, and a feisty, lovable main character; it has everything you could need and want. Even though I knew how it ended, I couldn't put it down and stayed up way too late reading (if there is such a thing). I can't wait for the sequel!!
Wendy Kuzminski
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to the sequel. I'd just read Brave New World and this book really fit well with it. Similar concepts. Interesting to see where book 2 goes.

If you enjoy books about dystopian society then you'll enjoy this on.
Sherrie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

It was sort of a blessing in disguise that I started reading Daughter 4254 around the same time as I got the flu. When you can’t put a book down, being bedridden has its perks.
Danger and adventure, hope and Love. I can’t wait to find out what happens next!
Jen Griffin
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-to-read
I sped right through this book. And at the end I'm no closer to figuring out who the good guys are - if there are any.
Diane L. Lupton
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Read for the theme - has a plant in the title or on the cover

Daughter 4254 reminds me of a very watered down Hunger Games type book. Survival of the smartest. One girl vs. the leadership. Dystopian society. All of the elements are there but the bulk is missing in my opinion. This is a young adult book so I may be wanting more from it as an adult. I also felt the ending was extremely abrupt. I know it is a series but it felt like there was no ending to the book.
Sam Phillips
Jan 23, 2019
Rebekah
Mar 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • In 27 Days (In 27 Days, #1)
  • Koning van Katoren (Katoren, #1)
  • Angel Fire (Angel, #2)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • Traitor's Chase (The Last Musketeer, #2)
  • Miracles on Maple Hill
  • Double Cross (The Last Musketeer, #3)
  • The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once #1)
  • The Blackthorn Key (The Blackthorn Key, #1)
  • Familiegeluk
  • Furthermore (Furthermore, #1)
  • The Parade
  • Whichwood (Furthermore, #2)
  • Mark of the Plague (The Blackthorn Key, #2)
  • Twice Magic (The Wizards of Once #2)
  • Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)
  • Match Me If You Can
Leigh Statham was raised in the wilds of rural Idaho, but found her heart in New York City. She worked as a waitress, maid, artist, math teacher, nurse, web designer, art director, thirty-foot inflatable pig and mule wrangler before she settled down in the semi-quiet role of wife, mother and writer. She resides in North Carolina with her husband, four children, five chickens and two suspected seri ...more