Start by marking “A Penny Lost (Penelope Grace #1)” as Want to Read:
A Penny Lost (Penelope Grace #1)

A Penny Lost (Penelope Grace #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her twin sister's perfection, tries her hardest to hide her freakish ability to see into anyone's soul.

Until she senses an unusual energy like a human shaped void in the universe. When Penny investigates the source, she gets tossed through a crack in time along with the cute boy next door. The Void follows them through
Paperback
Published April 15th 2017 by Tea First Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Penny Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Penny Lost

Sam
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Don't you just love a beautiful book cover?
A Penny Lost is definitely one of the pretty ones.

Penelope Grace is a freak. At least she thinks she is. She has the ability to sense other people's energies and look into their soul. When she stumbles across an unusual energy, things get really dangerous. Her investigation turns upside down when she gets tossed in another time, accompanied by Stranger, the random boy she just met.

Okay, so here's the thing:
The cover is wonderful.
The plot sounds int
Karen • The Book Return
'A Penny Lost' is the story of Penelope Grace (Penny) a high school student who can read other's emotions. Penny feels overshadowed by her identical twin sister, Dinah. She also feels neglected and ignored by her parents. One day Penny sees the sad aura of a home that used to have a  very happy aura. When Penny and Dinah investigate, a machine sucks Penny into a time-traveling universe. Dinah is left behind but Penny is accompanied by the young scientist who invented the machine.
What I Loved:
I r
Lindsay (LindsayHWrites)

I received an ebook copy of A PENNY LOST via NetGalley, so I first want to thank Skyscape and Two Lions, as well as Aspen Bassett, the author. Their decision to send me a copy did not influence my opinions of this book. So let's jump into it!

I really, really love the concept of this book. It's kind of amazing, really, that I haven't read about a similar mechanic in another story. Penny, our main character, is a twin - but she's the one that ended up with h
Rivalie (Le Petit Photograph)
(I received a copy from Smith Publicity for an honest review - all opinions are 100% my own.)

I'm still kind of debating about my rating for this book...it's wavering right now between a 2.5 and a 3. I was super excited going into this novel because the premise was really interesting and I fell in love with the cover.

After finishing this book, I still really like the cover but I'm not so sure about the premise anymore. The ending was just a bunch of confusing things that I need clarification on
JosiesBookishObsession
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I RECEIVED A COPY OF THIS BOOK FROM NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR MY HONEST REVIEW*

Let me start by saying how much I loved this cover! It's so pretty <3

I really enjoyed this book. It's a unique idea, and unlike anything I've read before. I loved Penny's character, and there were some twists in there that I wasn't expecting.

And that ending! I really hope there is another book, otherwise I just can't deal!

There were a couple of grammatical errors that should have been picked up during editing, and
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Penny Lost gripped me from the first chapter and took me on a wonderful time travel adventure until the last chapter where I groaned at the huge cliffhanger ending! And oh, what a twist! I sure hope *ahem* that the second book is in its publication stages because I so want to continue this adventure with Penelope Grace and Stranger, the boy next door.

Penny can see auras in the form of colours. This makes her different from everyone else, almost freakish, and so she keeps this special ability t
Selbi

Worth every Penny!

Don’t you just love a story where a sibling isn’t paired against another sibling? Where family is more important to the character than potential love interest? Well, you may not, but I do. And that is exactly what this book delivered. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m a sucker for love. I love me some romance books where you can’t help but cheer for two people to finally get together and live out their happy ending. But this book didn’t make me crave for romance; it gave love to me b
Chantelle (aka the Blogmonstar)
I received a digital ARC of 'A Penny Lost' from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

I tried really hard with this book. I really did. I got to 52%. But as interesting as the plot premise was, A Penny Lost just didn't work out for me. I really wanted it to, because I find time-travel an intriguing theme and when it's done well, the results can be amazing.

The writing in A Penny Lost was quite nice. It flowed quite nicely and wasn't too flowery or overly descriptive which was nice. It also w
Sara (Alicorn Feathers)
*chooses not to form any opinions about the book based on the time travel system*

I loved A Penny Lost way more than I expected to. I am not a fan of time travel, especially time travel involving the future and or messing with timelines, but the story worked for me. The characters had me gripped and the writing was more seasoned and enjoyable than any Kindle Unlimited book has a right to be.

Okay, I'm gonna try and explain this. With first person main characters, I often like the author rather th
Ashley (BooksViaAshley)
*I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher for this opportunity!*

First off, love the cover!

This story had a very intriguing premise, which is what peaked my interest in it. I love all things time-travel. I felt like the author's take on it was very unique and different, especially as we see timelines hopping around and intersecting at different points. I also really liked Penny's empathic abilities! That's something that is fresh and new and I f
Tonja Drecker
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely mix of time travel with a touch of paranormal.

Penny is a teenage girl, who feels inferior to her sister. She's also trying to hide a strange ability to see souls and emotions, especially the black void. When she investigates the changing colors and vibes she's getting from a house, she ends up being pulled through time along with the time machine's creator, a boy who can't remember his own name. She battles through the different periods and situations, hoping she can return home
Jeremy Gallen
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Protagonist Penelope “Penny” Grace narrates this time-travel adventure, with her ability to read energies around her in tow, and her father’s electronic tablet being lost. Her twin sister Dinah picks her up, suggesting she recites lines from Shakespeare to distract from the negative energies Penny senses. Regardless, they drive towards the force, finding someone in distress in a house’s basement, with a vacuum sucking Penny and an amnesiac boy who ultimately receives the questionable moniker of ...more
Jessie
More of a 4.25 star book.

I received a copy through Netgalley

I gave this book 4.25 stars. My first ever .25 starred book. I couldn’t give it a 4 and I didn’t think it was quite a 4.5 so 4.25 seemed the most logical to me.

A Penny Lost was a bit I didn’t expect to love, but did. I’ve had a copy for a while and just never got around to actually reading it until now, and reading this left me wondering why I waited so long in the first place.

It really took me no time at all to fall in love with the
Carla
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is an exciting adventure that follows Penny as she travels back and forward in time in order to stop the mysterious Void that has taken her through a crack in time and the mysterious boy next door who was hosting the Void in his basement.

Penny is an exceptional young lady who has the ability to see into a person's soul and see auras. Her family doesn't believer her not even her twin sister. Penny has always felt out-of-place and forgotten especially beside her twin. When she is sucked
Dawn
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read this book after receiving a free copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Penny (Penelope Grace) is a twin but there’s one big difference between her and her twin Dinah. Penny has always seen auras. She is learning that she can do more than that, she can even see into a person’s soul. When she senses a strange energy at a neighbor’s house, her curiosity gets the best of her and she has to find out what is going on. She finds way more than she bargained
Jessica Bronder
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Penelope Grace, Penny has a hard time standing out since her twin seems to have it all. Penny is stuck with the ability to see emotions in color. One day she senses a human shaped Void and decides to investigate. Penny and a young man that was in the same place at the wrong time are taken by the Void and sent through time. Penny and Stranger, the young man’s name since he has amnesia, need to get back to their own time and stop the Void.

This was a good story that drew me in and let me asking who
Laurie
This is a fun, action-packed time travel book that kept my interest. Penny has always felt rather invisible, moving through life in the shadow of her more extroverted twin sister. When Penny investigates an unusual noise she and an odd, but cute, boy are sucked into a vortex. Her sister remained trapped in the basement. Penny and the strange boy begin their adventures, showing up unexpectedly at pivotal moments in history, meeting new friends, while Penny continually worries about her sister.

The
Lenoire
Penny Grace is the forgotten twin, especially when compared to her perfect twin sister, Dinah. To make matters worse, she has a special ability to see into a person's soul. Her family has a hard time accepting her abilities since Penny is the only one who has the superpower. One day Penny senses a human-shaped void in the surrounding aura. She decides to investigate the source but she is thrown into the past through an energy portal. The void seems to be following Penny as she time travels. Wha ...more
Cheryl
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the concept of this book. Penny's ability as an empath intrigued me. She uses all of her senses but she can sense "energies" or "auras" of people and things around her. Penny's age of sixteen year old did come out sometimes. What I mean by this is that she did act her age but other times she reacted to situations more maturely. There was something mysterious about her companion "Stranger". It was not just due to his name. Yet, another character that I liked is Ricky. He is assertive.

I d
Lovely Loveday
I first noticed the cover for A Penny Lost and after reading the synopsis I was intrigued. Bassett writes a story about time travel with a unique and different twist. A refreshing and new take on a plot that has been told before. The characters are interesting and creatively different. I must admit I just could not get into this story. I was not drawn in from the beginning and felt as if the story just drags on at a slow pace. While the take on time travel is unique the story just falls flat. Th ...more
Sophie
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Netgalley copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was very intrigued by this book, and I ended up finding it absolutely fascination.

Not only does it have a very original plot, I found that it also showcased a very interesting writing style, focusing on emotions and settings in a beautiful way. The scenes felt almost cinematic and were fast-paced, intense and well built. I absolutely loved the descriptions of feelings, which felt raw and gripping.

The characters were also great, and I especially
☘Tara Sheehan☘
If you’re into time travel stories you have to check out this adorable book especially since Bassett managed to avoid those oh so boring clichés that seem to be a staple in this kind of story.

She found a way to make Penny’s journey emotionally touching, exciting and perceptive as she poured out some wonderful character development in this well-written adventure. She examined grief, love and self-esteem in a way that has you forgetting all of this is going on in a sci-fi ‘ish’ novel. Her empathy
Sarita
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Penny can see auras, but no one believes her, not even her perfect twin sister. When Penny senses a powerful void of energy, she goes into a house and encounters the mysterious Stranger, with whom she falls through a crack in time. Trapped on the Lusitania during WWI, Penny and Stranger will have to figure out who he is, and why they have traveled into the past.

An interesting premise and well-written, but I feel sometimes there was a bit too much going on. I look forward to reading more about P
Josie
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book! I loved reading about all the intricacies and mechanics of time travel. Penny's powers - time travel and empath abilities - are just so cool to read about. The way emotions are described give the book a different layer that is not common in many other books I've read. Her sense of humor was refreshing and gave the book a light feel to it. All the historical aspects of the book were intrigui
Andria Henry
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-traveling
This book was a fun read. The time traveling was epic with great references to certain pieces of history. The characters were unique in this story and I really saw them develop throughout each new experience. This book was adventurous with an interesting enemy. The cliffhanger at the end really has me wanting the next one. I definitely recommend to those who love time travel books.
Jess
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I have to admit I found this book a little crazy at first and incredibly unbelievable. I know, it's sci-fi so it's not going to be that believable but I still like to be able to imagine the crazyness happening in another galaxy. I also struggled with the amount of unanswered questions and how the author never answered them.

However I loved the second half of the book! The plot started to make more sense, questions got answered and I really started to like the main characters. The book ended on a
Lois Lane
Jun 04, 2017
Michelle
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun! I twisting tale of time travel and friendship. I will definitely be adding it to my bookshelf and reading it again.
Amanda
rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2017
A.N. Gephart
Apr 17, 2017
Aspen Bassett works at a library, telling stories and suggesting books. When she’s not working, she’s usually sipping hot cocoa and wondering what would happen if she had superpowers. She’s been published in multiple anthologies including Oomph: A Little Super Goes a Long Way and Inaccurate Realities.

Aspen grew up learning about chakras and auras and the true power of imagination which slips into
More about Aspen Bassett