Start by marking “My Lame Life: Queen of the Misfits” as Want to Read:
My Lame Life: Queen of the Misfits

My Lame Life: Queen of the Misfits

New York Times bestselling author Jen Mann has written a hilarious and heartwarming story for fans of Meg Cabot and Rainbow Rowell.

My name is Plum Parrish, I'm fourteen, and I'm pretty sure I'm invisible. Not like super power invisible, more like loser invisible. There's a big difference. I live with my dad who doesn't realize that a job transfer to Kansas is not a
Published April 13th 2017 by Throat_punch Books

To ask other readers questions about My Lame Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lame Life

Start your review of My Lame Life: Queen of the Misfits
Beth Teliho
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I love Plum. Her inner dialogue and sense of humor are hilarious and relatable to ME - a no longer YA human, so I know my niece - whom I bought this book for but couldn't resist reading it first - will LOVE it! I must've snort-laughed 1,000 times while reading, especially the "Plum's Punch List" at the end of chapters. I love Plum's wit and sarcasm! Just so clever and adorable and funny funny funny. You will love this book! Get it for your teen/tween/young adult but read it for yourself ...more
Kim Bongiorno
This book is relatable and charming and funny and exactly what we need right now, whether you're the kid wading through what it means to be a teenager or an adult who remembers what it was like. Now that I'm done, I'm passing it along to my own middle schooler so he knows why I was laughing but refusing to share until I was totally finished with it. Perfect for teenagers and anyone who has ever been one.
Lisa
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You do you, Queen of the misfits!

I think Plum is awesome, I only wanted the book to be longer. Also, it would have been better if her mom had kept up the cool pink hair.
Brenna Clark
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, which I entered because Plum reminded me of me when I was a teenager. Now, that wasn't very long ago, mind you, but still, it was like a blast from the past reading this book. I had a beautiful group of friends in high school, I desperately wanted to dye my hair pink (and I finally did in college!), and I was never really sure what 'clique' I fit in with. And the truth is, like Plum, I never did. And I think that's important for teenagers to know and read ...more
Tammie
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was hilarious. We're talking introvert-sniggering-in-public funny. Relatable (yes, at 35 I should probably have my stuff together better than a fictional teenager, but all I can say is whoops), and a bit inspiring (so maybe I'll stop saying whoops and just get my stuff together).

JUST BE YOU!
Jamie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, this book is flipping fantastic. I have followed Jen, read her collections and appreciate her humor. I was a bit worried that her humor might not translate to a YA Novel. In fact I didn't think it would at all. And again, this is coming from someone who really digs her and would love to hang out with her. I cannot tell you how pleasantly surprised I was with this. There are no sparkly vampires, magic, aliens, special powers or dystopian settings here (don't get me wrong, there is certainly a ...more
A.K. Turner
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you can relate to the wonderful mix of pain, sarcasm, awkwardness, and hilarity that is adolescence, you'll love this book. Mann's voice is spot on as that of a fourteen year old girl, and you'll laugh out loud from chapter one. I was already a big fan of this author. Her fiction debut does not disappoint. If you're sensitive to four letter words, you really shouldn't be reading anything from this author. But keep in mind that most teens know swear words that the rest of us haven't even ...more
Kade
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read anything Jen Mann has written that I didn't love, and this isn't any different! It's truly amazing! A young adult book about fitting in, being yourself, and learning some important lessons about yourself. Jen's wit and sarcasm come through so strongly, making this a book all of us can love - snarky teens to the snarky moms of those teens. "Sarcasm is my love language." It's like she's in my head.
Erin Dennis
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO hilarious! I absolutely fell in love with Plum and her whole family. I found myself cheering, "YES!" when Plum would go off about what was happening in her life. She thinks EXACTLY what I would be thinking if I were in her situation. I think so, so many people can relate to Plum and her circumstances. In reality, I think we are all misfits, but some of us are better at camouflaging it than others. 5 ridiculously funny stars!
Robyn Welling
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Jen's blog and her writing in general, so I was eager to check out her fiction debut. It was everything I hoped, and more -- all the LOL-worthy humor I've come to expect, wrapped around a really relatable character in an extremely engaging story. My only regret is that I didn't have this book to help me feel better when I was 14, but I'm SO GLAD I'll be able to share it with my tween daughter!
Janice Robinett
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! I laughed and cried! Just absolutely wonderful. I downloaded it on my Nook read in one afternoon then ordered a copy for my daughter and had sent to her apartment! Wonderful story that encompasses the many emotions many of us had navigating the social world of high school. Loved it!
Nancy
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I rarely give 5 stars, I at least thought about it this time. I was one of the lucky winners of a free Goodreads copy. I might not have picked this one up otherwise as I think of myself as a reader of 'more sophisticated' stuff and hardly a teenage reader either. But it was a charmer and quickly took me back to freshman in high school days. I wasn't a bottom feeder like Plum, but perhaps an eighth-level from the top girl (okay, ninth, but who's counting?). Being with the in-crowd was ...more
Kathy Heare Watts
The book is full of humor as only one can truly find in a teenager dealing with life and parents. It is told in diary format.

I won a signed copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. I am paying it forward by passing this book along to a fourteen-year-old granddaughter who I think will enjoy it too.
Kendyl Tinsley
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through a GoodReads Giveaway. Unfortunately, I started reading and got super busy so it was put down for a bit. However, I am glad I picked it back up to finish! Plum is hysterical and very relatable. Even as an adult she reminded me of my teen years.I absolutely loved it! I look forward to reading more by Jen Mann!
Beth Skye Denny
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"What a useless thing, I thought. What good is a book you can't even read? It had a purple leather cover embossed in silver with the words:
'Don't Forget To Be Awesome Today!'
"Yeah," I said. "It's a blank book."
"No," Mom said, flipping the pages dramatically. "It's a journal. A plum colored journal for my Plum."

And so begins the musings of Plum Parrish. Okay the parentally monitored musings, thoughts and feelings of a 14-year-old girl. Huh. What? She can't even swear in this feelings
Patrick Hodges
I can ONLY give this book five stars? Well, phooey.

Fourteen-year-old Plum Parrish is not pretty, not popular, and not at all happy when her father accepts an offer from his employer to move his entire family from New Jersey to Kansas. However, she forces herself to put on a brave face and reinvent herself by adopting a more positive persona to go along with her new pink 'do.

Uh... no.

It doesn't take long for her to run afoul of Emberleigh (IKR?!?), the patron goddess of snotty rich-bitch teenage
Elisa Uhrynowski
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like YA books, coming of age, funny and heartfelt...this is a good one. First off, I'm a big fan of Jen Mann and her books. She's most famous for her blog People I Want To Punch In The Throat, and the best seller, I Just Want To Pee Alone. My Lame Life is not like the others...it's meant for young adults to read!

Plum Parrish is the protagonist of the story and she tells us how she is trying to navigate her life as a 14 yr old in a new state and school. She's never really been a "normal"
Julia
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a YA author has such an effective voice that I find myself mildly irritated at the (albeit developmentally normal) self focused behaviors the characters display throughout the book. I struggled with this book for the opposite reason; the character does not feel like a real teen. I felt the authors age come through so many times. I can only guess that the book has such high ratings across Good Reads and Amazon because readers of her blog (Moms) like her, and dont read much YA. If youve ...more
Amy Mayo
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm always on the hunt for books that my tween daughter can pick up, read, enjoy, and most importantly - relate to. While we're not moving to Kansas, and she doesn't have a brother - she did move schools recently.

Plum's quick wit and biting sarcasm might not be for everyone, but I can tell you with certainty that both myself and my daughter absolutely relate. Plum's Punch Lists left me with a giggle at the end of each chapter. I'm looking forward to chatting about this book, and giggling
Abby
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Loved this book! "Voice" is what draws me into a book and keeps me there, and the narrator Plum's voice is authentic and funny. She's a heroine all "misfits" will root for.

Plum's "punch lists" at the end of each chapter reminded me of one of my favorite books from childhood, Lois Lowry's Anastasia Krupnik, in which Anastasia ends every chapter with an updated "Things I Love/Things I Hate" list.
Janet Gonzalez
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a novel that celebrates the kids who are different, who march to the beats of their own drummers, and I found it refreshing and wildly engaging. As always with Jen's work, I walked away from this read with a smile on my face and affection in my heart. You can't go amiss here -- I wholeheartedly recommend this book to tweens/teens and adults alike. Nothing quite so nostalgic as remembering the days of our own misspent youth. LOL
lcpittard
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this novel by Jen Mann. Having already been a fan of her previous People I Want To Punch In The Throat books, I knew I would enjoy this book. However, Jen far surpassed my expectations, and I could hardly put this book down. I longed for more when it ended, and I hope there is a sequel in the works!
Sara
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and sincere. Can't wait for the next one!

Jen really captures the heart of a teenaged misfit. I'm looking forward to reading more about Plum Parrish and her totally relatable family & friends. I really identify with how hard it is to make friends as a non-sheeple female in suburban America (for adults and kids).
Tara May
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a parent with a daughter in high school, this book was incredibly relatable. Jen nailed the dynamics of not only the students, but of parents as well. You just can't help but see a little- or a lot-of yourself in the details of Jen's characters. She is masterful in how she tackled the parent/child relationship as well as the wide variety of teenager/teenager relationships. Kudos Jen!!
EmilyJP
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I liked it because was relatable and I could really understand what the character was going through. I also like how it was like I was best friends with the main character. I think Jen Mann NEEDS to write more kid books!
Sam Chamblin
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Plum is an outcast and she has to move from New Jersey to Kansas for her dad who got a promotion. Plum looses her best friend to the popular girls and shes all alone.
I can relate a lot to plum! I really like this book a lot!
Maren
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I feel bad about a poor review, but it just wasnt for me. I couldnt get through it and just had to quit reading. The humor wasnt there for me and the jokes just fell flat and predictable, in my personal opinion. ...more
Mary
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect young adult read and I'm looking forward to sharing it with my kiddos when they're ready for it. I literally laughed out loud and was certainly rooting for the Queen the whole time. Such a good, eye-opening read!!!
Lisa
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was super cute. It's difficult to get an adolescent voice right, and I think she did for the most part. Some of the characters were pretty cliché, but the story was unique enough to be worthy of reading.
Terrie Montefusco
I think this is great for kids

Kids get bullied a great deal these days and in ways that weren't even possible when I was young and I think it is a good read for an adolescent to take a look at themselves.

• Stories I'd Tell in Bars
  • I Heart My Little A-Holes
  • Talking Pictures: Images and Messages Rescued from the Past
  • Joni and Ken: An Untold Love Story
  • Where I Lost Her
  • Superficial: More Adventures from The Andy Cohen Diaries
  • Fortune Smiles
  • The Wicked City (The Wicked City #1)
  • Overseas
  • Healing Racism in America: A Prescription for the Disease
  • Why Does My Cat Do That?
  • Under My Skin: Volume One of My Autobiography, to 1949
  • The Gatekeepers
  • Soldier, Spy, Heroine: A Novel Based on a True Story of the Civil War
  • Hi, Anxiety: Life With a Bad Case of Nerves
  • Strange Crime (Strange Series)
  • Don't Get Me Started, We'll Be Here All Day!: (further memories of a confused middle aged teenager)
  • The Demonologist
Jen Mann of People I Want to Punch in the Throat is the hilarious author of the New York Times best seller, People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges and Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat. She also contributes to and publishes the New York Times best selling I Just Want to Pee Alone series of books. Her ...more