Start by marking “Return To Glow: A Pilgrimage of Transformation in Italy” as Want to Read:
Return To Glow: A Pilgrimage of Transformation in Italy

Return To Glow: A Pilgrimage of Transformation in Italy

In her early forties, Chandi Wyant’s world implodes in the wake of a divorce and traumatic illness. Determined to embrace life by following her heart, she sets out on Italy’s historic pilgrimage route, the Via Francigena, to walk for forty days to Rome.

Weakened by her recent illness, she walks over the Apennines, through the valleys of Tuscany, and beside busy highways on
Published March 30th 2017 by Chandi Wyant

To ask other readers questions about Return To Glow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return To Glow

Nazarena Simonetti
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is set in 2009, when the author decided to walk the ancient "Via Francigena" in Italy in order to arrive in Rome.
The memoir is a captivating inner and outer journey and reminds us how to find joy after being at the rockbottom.
It is perfect for those who are interested in female solo travels or want to know more about the medieval route that started in Canterbury and ended in Rome.
It also gives us the chance to follow the challenges that she faced during the journey and to be happy for
Carla Coelho
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Home is were the heart is, é um conhecido provérbio inglês. Qualquer coisa como, a nossa casa é onde estão as coisas e pessoas que nos são queridas. Nem sempre a nossa casa está no sítio mais provável ou à mão. A casa de Chandi Wyant é um país, Itália, a que este livro é uma declaração de amor. Um amor que dura há muitos anos e que irá certamente prosseguir, pois neste momento a autora vive naquele país, por escolha.
Este livro tem dois aspectos admiráveis. Por um lado, a autora é de uma grande
Melissa
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
If you came across Chandi Wyant’s fascinating memoir Return to Glow: A Pilgrimage of Transformation in Italy, you might note the athletic-looking blonde woman on the cover and think, “Oh, this is a rip-off of Wild,” and pass it by.

You would be missing out on a story that shares the barest of similarities with that oh-so-famous book – “woman heals herself emotionally and spiritually by taking a long hike” – but is absolutely original. Even more, I found this book to be highly engaging, and really
Rich Israel
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a tale of two journeys, one through the Tuscan landscape and the other through a mental obstacle course as the author seeks to discard painful memories that block access to her heart. She captures the Italian culture and countryside beautifully while artfully weaving in details about what caused her emotional wounds.

Even though I felt (due to my ignorance of European history) that historical discourses interrupted the flow in a few places, I enjoyed her story, her openness, her fortitud
Bec Kroegel
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down. By day 3 I was already 50% through the book. It takes a great deal of courage to do what Chandi did and to pick herself up and pull herself out of such a situation.

This book is for anyone who is going through a tough time and wants some faith hat things will work out. It's for Italy lovers, for those going to Italy, for those going through a divorce or tragic illness, for those wanting to do a pilgrimage or those wanting to fin their glow.

Whatever your
Melisa
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was touched, educated and inspired by this book. Chandi has a way of describing places in Italy that make me want to be right with her. She is able to see so many details and all the possibilities of a place. We journey through Italy, through time and through her mind as we read. Her insights are deep and accessible. I liked seeing Italy and life through her eyes. Her background in the Italian Renaissance and her wide exposure to literature were evident in her writing. This would be a great bo ...more
Lucie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Having fixed expectations may block a miracle. If I release expectations daily, it will open me to the unexpected, to possibilities unconsidered, to seeing, as William Blake put it, heaven in a wildflower." ~ Chandi Wyant in "Return to Glow"

Not merely a narrative of self-discovery, this is a love story, one woman's sonnet to a country that has nourished her both spiritually and physically.

And certainly courage was required to write much of that sonnet. All women know that being female carries w
D. Renee'
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cultured, adventurous and well-traveled at an early age, the author seamlessly weaves her early life experiences with those more recent, revealing what has brought her to Italy, the country she loves like no other.

It’s a very grounded yet inspiring story that takes us through her modern-day experience of an ancient pilgrimage…..all brought on by an acute, life-threatening illness and simultaneously painful divorce process. The day-to-day accounts of her journey are honest, relevant, funny, roman
Billy Buttons
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Return to Glow, A Pilgrimage of Transformation in Italy

Writing Style: 10/10
Content: 10/10
Cover: 9/10
Of the 22 readers:
22 would read another book by this author.
21 thought the cover was good or excellent.
21 felt it was easy to follow.
22 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
10 felt the author’s strongest skill
Italo Italophiles
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle of this book is “A Pilgrimage of Transformation in Italy”, and it falls in the genre “Women traveling to get over divorce/breakdown/depression/and or mid-life crisis”, within the sub-genre “Travel to Italy”. Actually, the book is less the purported memoirs of a walk along Italy's ancient pilgrimage route, the Via Francigena, and more an autobiography that includes the childhood, adolescence and adulthood of the author, and even background on the author's family.

The writing is educat
Carole
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about one broken woman's journey to fulfillment. Worn down by life's often cruel and unrelenting blows, Chand Wyant reveals her inner struggles in an intimate yet entrancing way as she reaches deep into her soul to rediscover herself.

From the outset, each page leaves you wanting more until the reader and the author become one. Her story starts out screaming of hurt and emptiness and finishes with a vibrant joy. Her choice to walk Italy's pilgrimage route as a vehicle for healin
Deseret
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This memoir is a sumptuous read for lovers of Italy, travel, and solo-travel, and those seeking hope and solace when overcoming emotional and physical hardships. The author takes the reader along on her journey, sharing the tales of the sojourn, interspersed with many historical, geographical and cultural references. Her passion for Italy, its culture, customs and people are apparent throughout. The story is more than a travelogue, however. Through the course of walking along this symbolic pilgr ...more
Arah Suskia
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Return to Glow is a story of an inner journey and outward one. It's about confusion and clarity, struggle and hardship, and the growth and insight that can come of it. It's a story of courage and adventure and recovering one's self in the process. The author beautifully captures the particular magic and wonder that reveals itself to a humble and open traveler. If you love travel, adventure, and stories of moving through painful life events to the discovery of something sacred and beautiful, this ...more
Margaret
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To rise up from such a debilitating illness , as well as a tough divorce, Chandi decides on this pilgrimage , in spite of whether or not she was ready. Her writing style drew me in immediately, placing me beside her , as if I were there. I was affected deeply by her determination and courage to continue , regardless of the physical pain, extreme fatigue, and her facing challenge after challenge. I had tears often when she did. It is a real page turner,...I had to know what happened each day when ...more
Melisa
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much I recommended it to my book club. The author is able to explain the pain of her divorce and her life threatening illness with such vividness that I could understand her motivation to go on a pilgrimage. She is articulate and intimate and I felt like I was in her shoes much of the time. We learn about life and we learn about Italy in this book. Her love for all things Italian is beautifully communicated. She notices all the small details in her surroundings and illumin ...more
Cristina
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This powerful story is told beautifully. The prose is quite engaging. It is the kind of book that you don't want to end. If anyone is looking to read a very human story, focused on overcoming adversity and chasing your dreams, this is it. And plus it's set in Italy, which in itself is glorious. A lovely read with the perfect dose of wanderlust.
Jenna Harris
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book so delicious, I had to force myself to dole it out in smaller bites -- otherwise I would have devoured it in one night.

Chandi had me hooked with her writing and narrative in the first chapter when she described limping "on both feet." I knew she and I would get along just fine, and I wished for a time machine, to go back and whisper to her, "We're all right here with you. Your readers are rooting for you Chandi. Now, let's get walking!"

The big questions: How can I get myself t
Jeni Moretti
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. It is one part inspiration, one part adventure, one part personal tale and one part travelogue, but all of it was highly entertaining and touching. Return to Glow is for anyone who has ever wanted to be closer to their true selves, for anyone that is seeking to know themselves better, for anyone looking for a way to move beyond difficulties and find a way to connect with their courageous self. It is also for anyone that loves travel or loves Italy, and wants an in ...more
Cara Achterberg
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I picked up this book because I'm interested in walking the Way of St Francis, but got so much more than a taste of hiking in Italy. Enjoyed the story and cheered on Chandi, but also got an idea of what it will be like if I ever do it. What a brave woman. I loved her belief that the world is a good place that will take care of you. We all need to believe that.
Elizabeth
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading Ms. Wyant's book after devouring it while holed up with a bout of the flu. She has had a myriad of life experiences and, as a traveler myself, I felt a certain kinship with her, her travels and her loves. It's not easy to write a book about yourself since it takes introspection to observe your life and open it up for other's to scrutinize. I am also in my late 50's and about to embark on a new life in the EU so this book inspired me to keep moving forward. I think my favori ...more
Margo Catts
I'm a sucker for a pilgrimage story because I find that though people have done them since before recorded history, something profound and personal happens in every person that takes one. And when that person writes about it so honestly and skillfully as Chandi does in Return to Glow, and takes us through Italy as a bonus, the result is a wonderful, rewarding read.
Becky
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book captures the woman’s transformative journey across Italy. The author tells a personal story of struggle and her will and tenacity is inspiring. A page turner for sure, however I found myself like a miser not wanting the book to end, and rationing our the last few chapters. It beautifully captures the Italian culture, and will make you hungry for adventure. Highly recommend!!!
Frederick Gene
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the insights about places I've seen in Italy, and those I haven't seen. The larger story behind the pilgrimage provides a context and an unfolding added story. The pilgrimage itself is interesting to me (a friend is currently on the Spain/Portgual version) and I could imagine doing one of them in another life. Enjoyable.
Denise J.
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the beautiful journey through the Italian countryside. Her journey was so difficult both physically and emotionally.
Tiago Moreno
Jul 07, 2017
Susan D'attomo
Dec 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Author ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. My book suddenly shows up twice 4 25 Aug 23, 2018 01:40AM
  • Lighting Up: How I Stopped Smoking, Drinking, and Everything Else I Loved in Life Except Sex
  • Surrendering to Joy: My Year of Love, Letting Go and Forgiveness
  • Drunken Angel: A Memoir
  • Dreaming: Hard Luck And Good Times In America
  • Revenge and Retribution (The Graham Saga #6)
  • The Bishop's Daughter: A Memoir
  • Footprints in the Dust
  • Everyday Life in Medieval London: From the Anglo-Saxons to the Tudors
  • Walking a Literary Labyrinth
  • Painkiller Addict: From wreckage to redemption - my true story
  • How to Sleep Alone in a King-Size Bed: A Memoir
  • Death in Slow Motion: A Memoir of a Daughter, Her Mother, and the Beast Called Alzheimer's
  • Mrs D is Going Without: I used to be a boozy housewife. Now I'm not. This is my book.
  • One-Minute Mindfulness: 50 Simple Ways to Find Peace, Clarity, and New Possibilities in a Stressed-Out World
  • Call It Wonder: an odyssey of love, sex, spirit, and travel
  • The Maid's Tale
  • Blood Moon: A Captive’s Tale
  • Losing My Mind: An Intimate Look at Life with Alzheimer's
Chandi is a world traveler, photographer, writer and historian. She's lived in Qatar, India, Italy, Switzerland and England, and has been returning to Italy with unremitting passion since she first lived there at age 20. Her memoir about her 40-day pilgrimage walk in Italy was published in the spring of 2017 and has been featured on numerous travel websites and podcasts to rave reviews.

Chandi has