Start by marking “Miles Away” as Want to Read:
Miles Away

Miles Away

An essay collection of seven true misadventures, including:

- touring the United States with a punk rock band
- surviving altitude sickness and an attempted coup d'état in Ecuador
- uncovering the pros and cons of having a bilingual boyfriend (Colombia and Chile)
- getting trapped in a bogus taxi in Italy
- losing a loved one while far away in Ireland
- making a mistake that lea
Published May 1st 2017 by Here Now Press

To ask other readers questions about Miles Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miles Away

Libby Zay
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As Jami Attenberg said, "... if one does not believe their own book deserves five stars then why bother writing."
Michael B Tager
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. Anyone who has a love for adventure and travel should read it to see a bit of themselves within. And any who want to travel and haven't quite taken the plunge should read for inspiration. After finishing, I took out a map and said, "so, what's next?"
Egypt Kosloski
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've never been the type of reader that enjoys travel writing. Typically, and this is probably an unfair generalization, I find that the narration lacks the emotion and character development to drive a plot that doesn't revolve around the act of traveling. And, frankly, I've never been interested enough in traveling to read about people that simply travel. This is not the case with "Miles Away." Zay anchors the reader in her experiences. She doesn't "travel." She experiences. The stories in this ...more
Elisa Estrella
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the essays in this collection! If you can't manage to getaway, this is a wonderful way to escape! Libby shares sweet, funny and exciting moments in her collection. A definite add to your summer reading list! ...more
Austrie Martinez
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OF COURSE you should read this book! I loved reading Libby's travel essays! It was a beautiful escape from reality as I read through her travels (and was extremely jealous at the AMOUNT of traveling she has done...). Next up for me? Trips to Ireland and Iceland!
Melissa
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On the surface, Miles Away is a wonderful book about one woman's travels, but really it's about so much more. There are life lessons buried in each of these compelling essays. I found myself at the edge of my seat anticipating what might happen next, and when I was done reading, I felt a sense of awe and peace.

One of the many strengths of this collection is its beautiful descriptions. I could see the rich forest and smell the mountain air. I was right there with the writer the entire time, chee
Christy
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one night. It was like eating an eclair and wishing there was another one on the plate because the first one was so delicious. I hope Libby Zay has more stories inside her, perhaps even a full-length book someday, because she is a wonderful writer.
Tara Stack
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reads like a coming-of-age novel that transports you on exciting adventures! This collection of short essays packs a rather large punch and has filled me with wanderlust.
Calle Andrus
Kristen Sabol
Dec 27, 2017
Sofia Arcângelo
Aug 23, 2018
Libby Zay is an award-winning travel writer with a curious mind, restless feet, and a loud laugh. She has contributed to three Latin American guidebooks, and she has written travel tips and narrative nonfiction for many publications and blogs. Her debut essay collection, Miles Away, is due out in May 2017. Preorder it now.