Start by marking “The Fandom (The Fandom, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fandom (The Fandom, #1)

The Fandom

(The Fandom #1)

Violet's in her element. Cosplay at the ready, she can't wait to feel part of her favorite fandom: The Gallows Dance, a mega book and movie franchise that she and her friends know EVERY WORD of (canon and fanfic included).

But at Comic Con, a freak accident transports Violet and her friends into the story for real. And in just the first five minutes, they cause the death of
Published January 4th 2018 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about The Fandom, please sign up.
Louie The publisher Chicken House puts that on the back of every book they release. Why? I think they're trying to encourage people to try the book.
Jenny According to this page the second book is coming out in May of 2019.

Start your review of The Fandom (The Fandom, #1)
Dannii Elle
I think it's every super fan's dream turned reality to find themselves transported into their favourite fictional world. Who hasn't fantasised about taking herbology class in Hogwarts, fighting the white walkers in Westeros, or runningthe Maze with Minho?

The Fandom allows readers to do just that.

The story begins with Violet, and fellow fangirl Alice, obsessing over their up-coming trip to comic con, where they will get to meet the actor who plays their favourite fictional bae, Willow. Willow
Emer (A Little Haze)
This book has such an amazing premise. People get sucked into the world of their favourite book and film and drama ensues...
Sign me up.
Love it.

But then you open the book up to this message from Chicken House (publishers):
This book is the result of a very special collaboration. The originator of the brilliant concept is Angela McCann, one of the winners of our Big Idea Competition. The author, Anna Day, was a finalist in our Times/Chicken House Children's Fiction Competition. The combination
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Fandom, danger, love, betrayal, friendship.

Oh man. I love books about fandoms. I love the giddy excitement, getting swept away by the enthusiasm and love.

When I read, I tend to spend a portion of my time imagining that I am in the story with the characters. But let's be honest, would you really want to find yourself in the books you read?

As Violet and her friends discover, this isn't always a good thing. They have disrupted the canon of the world they have found themselves in, and they
April (Aprilius Maximus)
These characters are annoying as hell and I don't really want to finish a book I know I'm not going to love, so byeeeeeee
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

okay wow.

dnf @ 18 pages because of toxicity.

girls can be cute. ur best friend can be cute and have great boobs. cosplayers can have skin on show.

stop being derogatory towards other girls. we do not need this. girls supporting girls is great and what we should be striving towards. i am sooooo done. i am rolling my eyes at this main character too much.

and lastly who the fuck is princess LEAH?
-----------

i
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
2.5/5 I wanted to love this, but it wasn't for me. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and the whole thing felt rushed.

Faye
Read: September 2018
DNF at page 65

The reason I couldn't read this book any further than page 65 was the treatment of a female character named Alice. Alice is a teenage schoolgirl who is tall, blonde, pretty and Violet's best friend. She has been her best friend since primary school and treats Violet as a best friend should; she is nice, supportive, compliments her, tries to get on with Violet's other friend Katie, hangs out with her outside of school and they share a love of the fictional book
Mo Shake
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it

The main character is so annoying

I’m going to hang in 4 days
I’m going to hang in 3 days
I’m going to ha- HANG ALREADY!!

I won’t be reading the sequel.
Ashley
"What the fuck is the fandom?" — Reagan, Fangirl

Every time I have seen the title of this book, or the word "fandom" in any context since 2013 (the year Fangirl was published), I have thought of this line. And it somehow feels fitting for my reaction to this book to be precluded by a quote from another (better) book, because The Fandom just did almost nothing for me as a reader.

This was actually the first book I picked out of my brand new TBR Jar for 2019. In an effort to finally get to books
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Despite having read mixed reviews about this one, I really enjoyed it! Despite a slow first few chapters, it ended up a fun read with a unique and interesting premise and interesting themes.
Stephen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
easy going read based in a parallel world of the book the gallows dance
Gavin
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-books
This YA fantasy was one of those books that had an absolutely fantastic and intriguing premise but that just never quite managed to translate all that potential into a good and compelling story. Pity as the basic set up is super fun so my expectations going into this book were extremely high which left me extra disappointed when Anna Day never quite managed to deliver.

The story had such potential to be fun! Violet, as well as her two friends and her brother, are all dressed up as their
andrea caro
I really don't know how to feel about this book, just that I feel uncomfortable.

A girl named Violet is the biggest fan of a book and its film adaption called The Gallows Dance. After a freak accident, they're all catapulted into the world of the Gallows Dance and Violet, as a result, has to resume the place of the main character of that world in order to get back home.

It sounds like a cool theory, but my first problem probably lies in this fictional world. In this world, there are two types of
Lulai
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun. I think everyone who is a bit a fan of something will like it. A lot of pop culture references, and the plot was fun and actionpack. It was nice.
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Would you want to be transported to the setting of your all time favourite book? What if that book was a dystopian nightmare filled with an evil government, rebels and of course a few cute guys.

This book was definitely... different. But in a way that told an amazing and unusual story. It takes all the clichés I've read in dystopian book and makes fun of them in a way.

I was quite unsure how I felt about this book up until 2/3 of the way through. Then once everything started to make sense I liked
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
2.5 stars.
This was good, but too predictable and formulaic. The plot could have been more nuanced and fell short in terms of a resounding conclusion.
Full review to come.
Mehsi
I had so many hopes that this one would be great... sadly, my hopes were dashed.

First I want to thank my boyfriend for buying this book when I was totally hyped for it. Sorry hun, I just didn't like this one. :( For many reasons. As you can imagine with that rating, it isn't going to be staying in my bookshelves. :(

This review will be chaotic, but I will do my best to write a review.

So let's start with that the book did start off great, really, that is why I wanted this book. The amazing first
Ken
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The thought of being able to spend time in your favorite fictional place sounds like a dream come true, The Fandom takes that idea and gives it a dark twist.

Violet and her friends are fans of 'The Gallows Dance' a dystopian future novel that is filled with the kind of prejudice that see's innocent people hanged for the crime of being a 'lesser human' or Imp. The sentences are being upheld by genetically improved humans or 'Gems'.

The book also has a big screen adaptation, when one of the stars is
Dreximgirl
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overall I was a little disappointed with this book. It had a great premise and some of the concepts were good but it was just a little too predictable and formulaic. The conclusion was also a big let down and resolutions too meh for me.
N.J. Simmonds
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic concept, a really fun read and clever interweaving of two stories overlapping. Loved its originality, characters and some really great nerve-wracking scenes. Can't wait to read more of Day's work!
Becky
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read, I enjoyed it for sure! I think if I was much younger I would have 5 this.

We follow Violet, a girl obsessed with The Gallows Dance, a fictional world created by Sally King. We start the story by seeing her present her love of the novel and her analysis of the scenes. It was a good introduction to the type of world we would be seeing.
Following this Violet, her brother and friends go to Comic-Con to meet the actors who play Rose & Willow in the film adaptation of
Kayla
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
This book was so good!
Claire  (Jst1MoreChapter)
I have just literally finished this book, and lordy there are so many conflicting thoughts running through my head!

So let me break it down:
I assume you've all read the blurb so I won't go over that, but it's definitely the thing that had me interested because let's face it, who hasn't daydreamed of taking the place of their favourite heroine/hero, falling in love and saving the day?

The author managed to have me guessing throughout the story that's for sure, it was very fast paced in places there
Vicky Who Reads

I really thought this had a decent concept, but I'm always a little wary with fandom books because sometimes they just hit the mark for me. Whether it's because it felt anti-fandom, or made fun of teenage girls, or was just cringey in general, there's a lot of reasons to make me dislike fandom books.

And I ultimately wasn't a huge fan of this. It felt a lot like a bad Hunger Games/Divergent fanfic and not in a good way. The concept is nice, but just the story Anna chose was very . . .
Charlotte Lisbon
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
If this book had not been a buddy read I might not have finished it. The story was ok but very predictable and the characters were a bit annoying. The transition from comic con to the story was mediocre and I felt like the movie was referenced a lot more than the book.
Noseinabook
This book is a great read for anyone who loves fan fiction and especially fans of distopian novels. I really enjoyed the story and the way the author brought not only the fan fiction, but the fictional novel The Gallow’s Dance, to life! I read it on audiobook and I have to say I was not a fan of the narrator. I’d give the audiobook 3 stars, but the book itself is definitely 4 stars for me!
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
RTC.
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Kales
Jun 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Thank goodness that's over. I don't know why I finished this book. I should have DNF'ed it.

The concept of this book was why I picked it up. Four kids who love a fantasy series get sucked into it at Comic Con. Perfect! Right up my alley. But right away, the characters were intolerable. Violet, the MC, was dramatic as hell. It was told from first person and every metaphor and simile felt forced. It was so dramatic, it was like the author was trying to hard to be a good writer. And I'm not going to
Bex
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5*

I had high hopes for this book, and once I started reading it turned out to be very different to what I was expecting – and I do not mean this as a criticism. I adored this book. It was fun and heart-wrenching and clever all at once.

The plot of this book is one of the best I have read in a long time, and it was executed beautifully by Anna. I loved how all the different worlds within the book (the real world, the book’s The Gallows Dance and the one they are launched into) clashed and
Cheryl
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
First of all, I love the general idea of this book, because which bookfan wouldn't want to end up in their favourite book (well, unless that the book is The Hunger Games maybe). The characters were quite okay, nothing special but also not too bad.

There are multiple things that bothered me about it though. First of all, a part of the ending was just too predictable. (view spoiler)
A Book Nirvana: The Fandom (November 2019 readalong) 52 8 Nov 29, 2019 01:29PM

• The Extinction Trials (The Extinction Trials, #1)
  • Cogito
  • The Exact Opposite of Okay (Izzy O'Neill, #1)
  • S.T.A.G.S
  • La poesia dell'anima
  • Ink (Skin Books, #1)
  • Floored
  • Out of the Blue
  • The Disconnect
  • Second Best Friend
  • All of This Is True
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Truth and Lies of Ella Black
  • State of Sorrow (Sorrow, #1)
  • Medaljonen (Medaljonen #1-#3)
  • Undercover Princess (The Rosewood Chronicles, #1)
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
The short version: I’m an Author/single mum/Clinical psychologist/Geordie/lover of stories, music and floaty things.

Read the long version here.

The Fandom (2 books)
  • The Fandom Rising (The Fandom, #2)
“Count the thistles ,one ,two ,three,
soon the Imps will all be free.
Count the thistles , four, five, six,
Take up your guns, your stones and sticks.
The ash trees turn from green to red,
Spring has gone, the summer's dead.
Count the minutes, not the hours,
'Cause hope starts as a little flower.”
2 likes