Start by marking “What the Health” as Want to Read:
What the Health

What the Health

There is a health revolution brewing. Many people know there's something terribly broken about the industrial food, medical, and pharmaceutical systems, but they don't know what it is. It's no wonder because there is an intricate political and corporate apparatus in place to keep them from finding out. People think heart disease, cancer, and diabetes are inherited, not

Published February 27th 2017 by Xlibris US

To ask other readers questions about What the Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Health

Start your review of What the Health
Jenna
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
6. Eat. REAL FOOD. Everything In Moderation! GIF - Healthy Diet Vegetables GIFs

All too often, people think they have no choice but to get and live with chronic illness. It's bad genes, their parents had this, they are powerless when it comes to preventing the same disease in themselves, nothing to do but take medications and hope for the best. However, this is often not the case and we have more power over disease and illness than the pharmaceutical companies would have us believe. What if we can prevent and reverse Type 2 Diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, and
Leigh Collazo
I read this book after binge-watching What the Health, Forks Over Knives, Earthlings, Food, Inc., and several other documentaries about where our food comes from and why we need to rethink eating animal products. The book-version of What the Health is similar to the documentary, but it goes a bit deeper and includes extended interviews from the people in the documentary. I do understand why people question the science here--the doc makes some wild comparisons and claims--but I still very much ...more
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Very good. A companion book to the documentary, What the Health, which I loved. I was already vegan when I saw the documentary, but I later knew of some friends who became vegan after viewing the documentary. I highly recommend this book. More in depth. Thrilled I got an opportunity to read it over Christmas break. Many thank yous to NetGalley and one of my favorite publishers for allowing me a digital copy to read and review. 5 stars! ...more
Todd Myers
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Companion book to the documentary, more in depth in the interviews they conducted while filming, more facts, and scientific research included as well. Worth reading if you've seen the documentary on Netflix, even if you haven't still worth reading. It can and will change how you look at our food system and our overall health care in the US, possibly the world.
Marie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
"The diseases and disorders that are 100 percent genetically determined include Down Syndrome, sickle-cell anemia, cystic fibrosis, hemophilia and Huntington's Disease."

"The reason that most people have more fecal bacteria in their kitchen sinks than their toilet seats is likely because they prepare their chickens in the kitchen, not the bathroom."

"If you are going to make an important first step that would improve your health, get the dairy out of your diet."

"Legumes are the one food associated
Lisa Gaunky
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

This really sums up a lot of the issues surrounding eating a plant-based diet in a powerful way. It's about the health of our bodies, our communities, our planet...it's about compassion and moving forward with strength. I have been eating healthy vegan for a couple of months now and reading a lot of books about the various aspects of eating this way, and I was impressed by this book!
Özgün Balaban
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I watched "What the Health" documentary and I turned vegan. Then I got interested in books/documentaries about veganism, watched "Forks over knives" and bunch of others. When I saw the book of What the Health, I was interested because I wanted to check the papers myself. This book reference all the sources used in the book/documentary. Quite detailed and engaging, after reading the book I was surprised in my lack of knowledge about the food industry practices.
Jeanette
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was OUTSTANDING! I highly recommend to everyone- vegans, vegetarians, meat eaters, people who have seen the movie, people who haven’t seen the movie.
It’s a game changer. It’s filled with facts, data and personal stories. It’s a page turner even though it may not seem like it would be.
READ IT!
Ann Marie Keim
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Had me gagging at times and speechless at others. You'll never look at meat or the pharmaceutical industries the same way again! Confirmed what I suspected about the govt so that part was no surprise. Easy good read that could change your life.
Eileen Gonzalez
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening and life-changing.

As consumers of animal products, we often do not hear about the adverse effects animal products have on our health. The information presented in this book is soundly based on interviews and a plethora of scientific studies.
Brian McNease
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eating will never be the same again. Life-changing book! I recently watched the documentary, which was also really good, but enjoyed the additional detail and thoroughness contained in the book. Highly recommend to anyone looking for enhanced health.
Christie
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much important information that will totally change your life if you let it.
Carla Turcotte
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Companion to the documentary. Everyone should read this, seriously.
Sam
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening. Life changing.
Marilyn
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Read it ! You will never look or think about food the same way again.
Ann Croce
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! Everyone should read it! It's a real eye opener about the food they are selling us!
Christine Carey
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for every single person in America!
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, food
Thank you #NetGalley for providing me with this digital edition of What the Health!

Overview:

A print companion to the documentary film of the same name, What the Health explores the Standard American Diet, why Americans are sicker and unhealthier than ever, and how the food industry literally feeds into our lack of understanding about our biology and how on a daily basis, most Americans are making dietary choices that are literally slowly killing them. Sound dramatic? It's not. The data and
Marathon County Public Library
Based on the Netflix documentary of the same name, this is an absolute must read for anyone looking for the truth behind the Standard American Diet and information on what the healthiest way of eating actually is. Backed by scientific studies and packed with recipes, this is an eye-opening resource for anyone looking to take control of their health.

As someone who wants to give myself the best possible chance of avoiding serious illness and diseases like Alzheimer's and cancer, I am so thankful
Michelle Mallette
This was a disappointment. I chose this book because I am concerned about the medicalization of our health: that health care is about treatment rather than prevention and that the pharmaceutical industry has no place in television and print media. Unfortunately this is not a balanced, critical analysis of how North Americans are relying too heavily on pills, but rather a skewed pseudo-scientific call to veganism. I am actually on the path to vegetarianism, and some of the information in here is ...more
Keetha Mosley
The companion book to the documentary, What the Health was what I thought it would be, only with more horrific-ness. Whatever your stance may be on vegan versus paleo, for instance, it's worth a read, for nothing else than to learn more about the way lobbyists affect guidelines from American Cancer Society, the USDA food pyramid, and the like.
Chris
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
While this book veers into the sensational, anecdotal and childishly hyperbolic at times (“Chimps also scratch their butts in public and throw faeces at people. I don’t think we should do that.”), I was a sometime meat eater and now I’m a vegan. That’s quite a big change.
Jean
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of all the whole-food, plant-based champions, so not too much new information here. The plight of those living near factory farms was tough reading, but much tougher for those living it.
Ro Scott
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the makers of What the Health Documentary came this book. I had to read the book. There is a lot of research into what is in this book. He tells the secret to preventing and even reversing many chronic diseases. There is also a cookbook but in this book are many really good recipes.
Dyane Harwood
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved "What the Health"! The film by the same authors was lifechanging and this book is fantastic as well. (I knew it would be.) I highly, highly recommend reading Andersen and Kuhn's extraordinary book.
Cindy Miller
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Changed my life. Saving the planet and my health at the same time
Colleen Burns
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.. Nothing I didn’t know already. Everything is bad for you! I’m still going to eat chicken and fish! Reading this was interesting..
amie
Jul 23, 2017
Inês
Jan 09, 2019
Tandem401
Oct 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X. (Hatter Madigan, #1)
  • A Dark Descent (Ages of Oz)
  • Hatter M, Volume 6: Seeking Wonder
  • The Looking Glass Wars: Underfire
  • The Looking Glass Wars: CrossFire
  • Hatter M, Volume 4: Zen of Wonder (Hatter M, #4)
  • Hatter M, Volume 5: Love of Wonder
  • Hatter M, Volume 3: The Nature of Wonder
  • How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health
  • The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage
Kip is an American film producer and writer. He is best known for producing movies What the Health (2017), Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret (2014) and Sea of Life (2017).Andersen is from San Francisco, California, and studied at California Polytechnic State University.

He began his career in 2014, with the documentary, Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret. The documentary, which was
“There are dictator genes. Those genes give orders—blue eyes or brown hair—and you don’t have any choice. The genes for diabetes, heart disease, or certain forms of cancer, they’re more like committees giving suggestions.” 0 likes
“There are over 37 trillion cells in the human body.1 My inner hypochondriac starts to panic at the thought of all those cells. Thirty-seven trillion opportunities for cancer.” 0 likes