Start by marking “Appointed By Fate (The Mobster Files #1)” as Want to Read:
Appointed By Fate (The Mobster Files #1)

Appointed By Fate (The Mobster Files #1)

One of Iowa’s most prominent criminal attorneys, Joci Dorous is ruthless and devoid of emotion in the courtroom. It’s what makes her the best. Her most recent client allegedly committed murder and, despite a rocky start, Joci is determined to win Cameron Shearer’s case.

Since this is her first homicide, she has the support of a second-chair attorney—her ex who wants her bac
Kindle Edition, First
Published September 2017 by Hot Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Appointed By Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Appointed By Fate

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
description

description

descriptionI like the cover on this one a lot. Good representation of one of the male leads. Good composition and title work as well.description

descriptionSo this one was a bit of a mixed bag for me which makes it a bit of a PITA to review. I didn't particularly like the heroine or her stringing along three men. She was basically a female manwhore. Sleeping with two and making out with the third all at the same time. I wasn't sure if I should be disgusted or give her a high-five. And I HATED that she got (view spoiler)
Ian
Cameron is a mob soldier who has been sent to Iowa to sort out some rival gangsters. When he wakes up in a field with a knife and a gun and a dead body beside him he finds himself dragged into the legal system.

Joci was Cameron's first love and now she is his lawyer. As the case progresses she finds herself drawn to him but with two other suitors in the wings and mobsters circling life is both complicated and dangerous.

Have you ever read a good book that you just didn't like?

Appointed by Fate i
 Charlie  ✰ WLTB Blog ✰
4.5 Stars

This is my first book by this author and I will be checking out her other books.
Joci is a criminal attorney. Such a great attorney she shows no emotion in the courtroom, which is one of the reasons she is the best.
However, this is her first homicide but she has the support of her ex-hubby Adrian who helps her with this case. Adrian wants her back. However, things are more complicated than that, she has a hunky cop who she sees for one night here and one night there. However, he is the
Amy
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. First of all, I'm not usually a fan of mobster/gang books, but the blurb caught my interest and I wanted to know how the story would end. This is the first book I've read by this author and I am a fan! Though written in third person the author still gives us enough information to know what the characters are feeling. Parts of the story will make you scream in frustration (but in a good way because it makes you even more devoted to reaching the ...more
United Indie Book Blog
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite character was Cameron, I really enjoyed his witty remarks and his caring side. The way Joci and Cameron met was unexpected to the both of them. When Joci was hired to defend Cam on his murder trail. At first neither recognized each other. The past came to mind to each of them. They were kids when Joci moved. So much has happened to them. Life was pretty good to Joci until she got married. Cam had it hard be cause of his parents. Now with this murder trial in the way, it's hard on all ...more
Julie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a rollercoaster ride. Joci certainly was a busy gal, not just in the courtroom but also in her personal life....a handsome booty call on hand, her ex-husband panting after her and a sexy client who's kisses she likes too much, who's been charged with murder. It's her first murder case and she wants to impress, she soon discovers the Mafia and drugs are involved and every thing she loves and knows are endangered by association to this case.
An intriguing book, the reader never knew which
2OCC Reviews
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gemma
Appointed by fate I read in one sitting because I could not stop reading once I started the book. I haven’t read a book like this before and loved the different emotions that author entwines throughout the story with all the characters in the book and the way that the story flows all the way through the book. I loved the booked had many twists and turns throughout it and some of the things that happened I did not expect. I loved the way the author was able to write the story but also at the same ...more
Corrie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by this author for me.  What drew me to it was the blurb.  I enjoy a good suspenseful romance.  Lawyers, criminals, mob, romance...I was sold.

Joci is a really great female lead character.  She is strong and determined and very level headed.  If she could only get her love life nailed down.

Cameron, Quinn and Adrian...she has quite the selection of men to choose from, all very dreamy in their own way.

Several things kept me intrigued in this book.  The mystery of the mob had
Mari
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Pierson
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Joci Dorous is one the most prominent criminal attorneys in Iowa, who has received her first homicide case. She has her friend with benefits, Quinn, who also is the cop who is investigating her client. As this is her first murder case, she now has her ex-husband as 2nd chair, and Aidan wants her back. All of this is surrounding her while she's trying to prove her client, Cameron, who she knew when she was a child, innocent. Yeah, that's all I'm giving up as this is a suspense story filled with f ...more
Mellissa Fraley
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Appointed by Fate by Skye Warren is about Lawyer Joci and the three potential men in her life; Quinn the cop, Adrian the lawyer and ex-husband, and Cameron the first love/childhood friend/felon.

By Chapter 3 we had been introduced to three different men who are seeking Joci's affections. Typically this is something that would grate on me, and I would begin to hate the leading lady. Skye did a pretty good job of keeping me interested in the main character by giving her a deep and meaningful backgr
Love Africa Book Club
Joci has just landed her first murder case to defend Cameron who was busted during a drug deal gone wrong where someone was killed.
The officer who arrested him, Quinn, is friends-with-benefits with Joci. The second-chair defense lawyer Adrian is Joci's ex husband who also wants her back.
And guess what? Cameron is Joci's childhood friend who Joci still has the hots for.
See how complicated things are already?

So Joci is trying to find out what really happened on the night Cameron was arrested and
Reckless Readers
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first time I've had the pleasure of reading a book by Skye, the blurb drew me in and I was excited to see where it went. I was not disappointed in the least, this book had me turning the pages quickly to see what would happen next. The plot was addictive, the characters were interesting. It had some twists and turns that I wasn't expecting. It is a well written book, I adored the Witty remarks within. I loved it so much that I devoured it in one sitting as I couldn't put it down.

***
Greta Cribbs
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is not my usual genre, so it took me a little while to get into it. When it comes to books that fall into the category of Romantic Suspense, I generally prefer the story to focus more on the suspense part and less on the romance part. But this book offered up something a little different in the romance department, and by the end I was thoroughly enjoying it.

First of all, I loved Cameron. He's the kind of rough around the edges guy I would never dream of dating in real life (I'm a nerd, I g
Amy
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Appointed by Fate
Skye McNeil
3 stars

Joci is a hot shot lawyer making her way in the courtroom and out -- she is a bulldog and a force to be reckoned with. However her three ways to heaven I guess was the part I wasn't overly impressed with. I would have loved to see the storyline more focused on the trial and case more so than the personal issues going on here.

Joci has an ex who is chasing her and wishing things were different -- then a cop that serves as a phone and bang --- and then the client
Polly Barreto
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy love triangle!!

This is the first book that I've read by Skye McNeil and it won’t be my last! Once I started reading this book I could NOT put it down. I was sucked in from the first page to the last page.

Joci Dorous is a criminal attorney that has her hands full! She just got handed her first homicide case and she wants to win badly. This is where the love triangle comes into play. In the first corner is Cameron Shearer, childhood friend and criminal who case Joci is assigned to. Standing i
Stephenee
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
* I received an ebook from the author, but that in no way affects my review or opinions. *

This book was a good read, it started off quickly and held the readers attention for the most part. There were times when there seemed to be too much filler and other times when there were too many things going on for the reader to keep track of. Joci seemed to be in a relationship with 3 guys at some points in the story and that is when the author lost me. I appreciate a good love triangle, but when it get
D.W. Plato
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joci has quite a life! A great career, good looks and THREE men in her life that make her blood pressure rise, (sometimes in a good way, sometimes not). Adrian, her ex with benefits, Quinn the hunky cop she works with and Cameron, a long time ago crush Joce never got over. The bigger question is who is working for which Iowan mob and how far involved will Joce become? It all depends on which guy she chooses. May the best man win. Perfect bedtime story.
Josh Langlois
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skye McNeil created a love triangle for the ages. Beautiful mix of mystery, intrigue, romance and courtroom drama. Romance is usually not my genre, but this was a story I truly enjoyed.
Erika PBookHavenBookBlog
"If she could clone the way he looked at her, she would be a millionaire in a day. It was what all girls dreamed of. An enchanting hold that made her insides jump with ecstasy as she swam in his chocolate eyes."

Fiery attorney Joci, has her pick of not one, not two, but three love interests that left me screaming at her through my kindle throughout the story. Easily flowing and written so clearly, I felt like I was watching a movie in my head, the three men vying for her attention had me reading
Sassy Southern
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
When drug dealer Jimmy Nichols is found dead, Officer Levi Quinn arrests Cameron Shearer who was found nearby with a gun and knife in his boot. Soon lawyers Joci Dorous and Adrian Petosa are hired to represent Cameron from an unknown source.

But nothing is as clear as it seems as both past and present relationships are revealed between Joci and both Levi and Adrian as well as a tie to the past that Cameron and Joci share.

When ties to the mafia are revealed who side will everyone be on and will Ca
Rebecca Austin
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-sassy
I enjoyed this book but at times I just found Joci too much with how she was getting involved with everyone. I realized her past was with Adrian but then she was almost having some sort of relationship with 3 guys at the same time.

The ties to the mafia were a little unclear with the names of JJ and Jerry being kind of similar and I must admit that I missed up things in my head a couple of times. There were a couple of other times that I was trying to figure out who had ties to which group.

There
Rosie Amber
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Appointed By Fate is a romantic suspense set in Des Moines, Iowa.

Officer Levi Quinn discovers a dead drug dealer and a sleeping suspect at a lakeside on Halloween.

Cameron Shearer awakes from a drug induced sleep and finds himself being cautioned for the murder of Jimmy Nichols. This was not what he had planned when he was asked by his mob boss to investigate a rival dealer moving into the Iowa area.

Joci Dorous has worked hard to get where she is as a lawyer, and now she has high profile murder c
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
This story had the potentional to be great but for me lost its way a little with the heroine. With a potential three men in the picture, Joci became a character hard to connect to and at times I found her behaviour to be a little wishy washy which was hard to comprehend being that she was a lawyer.

“You don’t need a weapon to kill someone.”
Obsessive Book Whore
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.

This book was well written and the storyline was intriguing. There was a little too much personal drama for my liking. The Heroine needed to pick a guy. Juggling three guys at the same time was not my cup of tea. With that being my biggest gripe, I did like the other aspects of the book. I would recommend this book.
Kristin Scearce
Sep 11, 2017
Bex 'n' Books
Jul 02, 2017
Skye McNeil
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Crysti Jane
Apr 14, 2018
True Love 101: Appointed By Fate / Skye McNeil 1 6 Oct 17, 2017 11:35PM
Bargain Basement: (2) Paperback Copies of Appointed by Fate 1 10 Oct 03, 2017 03:43PM
Skye McNeil began writing at the age of seventeen and has been lost in a love affair ever since. During the day, she moonlights as a paralegal at a law firm favoring criminal law.

Skye enjoys writing romantic suspense and contemporary romance that leaves readers craving more. Her contemporary and historical novels range from sweet and sassy to steamy and sultry.

Her constant writing companions are t