Start by marking “Pistols for Two and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Pistols for Two and Other Stories

Pistols for Two and Other Stories

Affairs of honour between bucks and blades, rakes and rascals; and affairs of the heart between heirs and orphans, beauties and bachelors; romance, intrigue, escapades and duels at dawn: all the gallantry, villainy and elegance of the age that Georgette Heyer has so triumphantly made her own are exquisitely revived in these eleven stories of the Regency.

Georgette Heyer's h
Published 1960 by William Heinemann

To ask other readers questions about Pistols for Two and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pistols for Two and Other Stories

Start your review of Pistols for Two and Other Stories
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
There is a shiny new collection of Georgette Heyer's short stories Snowdrift and Other Stories by Georgette Heyer Isn't that a gorgeous cover? But when I requested a review copy from Random House's NZ branch, the reply came back with unflattering speed (would barely have hit their in tray) that there were no review copies available for this book.

In a way, this is appropriate as Georgette Heyer hated the whole publicity machine. She did one interview in her whole life and ignored letters from her fans.

So I'm stuck with my Arrow with its
Vicki
This was the best book of short stories. Georgette Heyer has the best way of pulling you in right from the beginning and letting you unwrap the characters one at a time. Then you are allowed to see them as their story unfolds in a clear and usually funny well scripted manner.

This book was no different. It was a joy to read from the first page. I want more Georgette Heyer! She was just brilliant!

There are real people captured in her words and they are so full of life and witty. What a joy to rea
honestly mem
So the thing about Georgette Heyer's romances is this: I like them, but I have to space the fuckers out. She's really only got like eight characters, and only two kinds of romantic heroes (the scandalous rake, usually lots older than the heroine, and the rarer dandy), and her stories all seem to follow the same beats, so if I go straight from one Heyer romance to another, it's impossible to ignore the creative recycling, which I can only bear if I can ignore it.

I had the same sort of problem wi
Andrea AKA Catsos Person
Very Short Stories from Georgette Heyer

These stories were very short.

They didn't make enough of an impression on me to be memorable or for me to wish to reread them as I do some of her novels that are my favorites.

March 2017 Georgette Heyer group BOTM
Ana
My 33rd Georgette Heyer

"Pistols for Two" - while Tom and Jack's courtship of the same girl started out on friendly terms, the situation quickly deteriorates and enters dangerous territory. (3 stars)

"A Clandestine Affair" - Miss Tresillian is shocked to discover that her niece has fallen in love with the nephew of her jilted ex-fiance, , but when an elopement is about to happen, the two must unite forces. (3 stars)

"Bath Miss" - Sir Charles falls into a trap set up by his mother and aunt, so he m
kris
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

Heyer has a small pot from which she collects her characters. The humble, witty spinster with laughing eyes; the naive, big-eyed waif; the sporty, devil-take-it Corinthian (usually 'swarthy'); the handsome, hiding-hidden-depths Dandy, the young bucks; and the prone to spasms, overwrought mother.

Basically, Pistols for Two is a mix and match collection.

But what keeps Heyer from seeming too formulaic is her skill with a well-placed plot-twist. In "Hazard," a gentleman wakes up hungover i
Trine
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I need a Georgette Heyer fixs but don't have time for a full novel, I grab this delightful collection of short stories. Of course GH is at her best when there is time to develop her characters and all the wonderful side plots, so a short story will never show her at her best. But it is fun to see her toying with ideas and characters she has either abandoned in earlier books or want to explore before reusing in later books. It is amazing how many plans for Gretna Green there can be in on ...more
Amy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A must read for any Georgette Heyer fan.
Amy
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer
Disclaimer: Anyone but HER and this book would probably garner 3 stars.

A collection of short stories by Georgette Heyer.
I found the titular story miserably boring. It is the sole reason I haven't gotten to this volume before. Once I passed it, the stories weren't so bad. I enjoyed some, particularly Hazard. A widow makes an appearance in another one, which represented a welcome break from the ever-present 19 year old heroines fluttering about. Elopements, Gretna Green, and Heyer heroes pepper t
Arlie
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, two Georgette Heyers in a few days. What can I say? It was a stressful week. Such a lovely way to relax.
Abigail
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoy Regency Romance
Georgette Heyer's only collection of short stories, Pistols for Two offers eleven charming tales, each a little bon-bon that both satisfies and tantalizes. Compact and self-contained, each of these stories will involve and entertain the reader, before bringing matters to a satisfactory conclusion. The delights contains herein include:

Pistols for Two, in which lifelong friends Tom and Jack find themselves confronting one another across a dueling field, fighting for the right to court a woman whom
Elevetha
3.5 stars.

Getting a little sick of the man always "savagely" or generally roughly kissing the girl at the end, and her weak little protest that she doesn't really mean, followed by him ignoring it. I mean, I didn't overly detest it in Faro's Daughter, but in a short story collection especially, you don't know the characters very well, which makes it that much harder to stomach. Also, the fact that it's just one after another example of it doesn't help either.

Otherwise though, I liked this collec
Rebecca
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful collection of short stories by the undisputed queen of the Regency Romance genre, Georgette Heyer. There are villains who aren't damsels in distress, happily ever afters, and an enchanting glimpse into a way of life now long gone. My ONLY disappointment with this volume is that so often I would have gladly spent far longer with the characters! Any fan of Ms. Heyer's work can look forward to some happy hours spent with "Pistols for Two" in hand! ...more
Samanta
Great collection! :) Very funny.
Tweety
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency lovers
I think maybe a 4 1/2

All the stories are fun frolics but some are better than others. The best were A Clandestine Affair, Bath Miss, To Have the Honor, Hazard and Full Moon. Hazard was very good and Full Moon has become a Favorite of mine.

Swears are few and far between, (D's) . On a plus there is no violence, other than some talk of fisticuffs and nothing detailed. And unlike most Georgette Heyer books there is no talk of mistresses. All of the stories were clean. If you have a problem with m
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
Favourites (as I'm rereading 1st Nov 2015):
The Duel ~ loved it. I do find it funny how the girl implores a stranger to convince a man not to kill her brother in a duel! The best part is when the man gets hit!
Hazard ~ oh yes! haha humourous and adorable, a guy waking up hungover devilishly aware when he realises where he is that he's eloping when already engaged!
Mela
Great Heyer in short stories. There are essential elements of her books in here. Ideal when you look for a short entertained. Elopements, duels, misunderstandings, quarrels and all end (of course) with a happy ending. Although you must be prepared you will not find here witty descriptions of people and so on.

I wish there are more such short stories written by Heyer.
Karlyne Landrum
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always forget that this is a book of short stories, and so I think as I start chapter 2, wow! what a lot of unrelated characters... But I enjoy them immensely, because they are so varied and fun and even unexpected. "Night at the Inn" is almost Sweeney Toddish -- not bad for a Regency Romance. ...more
Shel
Nice light reading, though not as engaging as her novels.
Madhulika Liddle
This was the first collection of Georgette Heyer short stories that I’d encountered, and I began Pistols for Two and Other Stories with high expectations. The first story (the title story) turned out to be pretty much vintage Heyer, with two best friends falling out over a girl and making it a matter of honour—a duel, no less. With funny consequences and a somewhat predictable twist in the tale.

After that, though, as I progressed through the book, the stories began to seem too much alike. The m
Susan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, fiction
These eleven short stories feature in miniature the characters and plots of Ms Heyer’s longer Regency romances for a diverting, often amusing read. In the title story, two young friends do everything together, including falling in love with the same young woman. In “A Clandestine Affair”, a young couple repeats the love story of their individual guardians, but with a twist. In “Bath Miss”, a newly engaged lord escorts a romp of a schoolgirl home to Bath for the holidays. And so on. Reread.
Lynne Tull
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgian-romance
Heads Up-These are short stories. Lately I am really enjoying short stories. Especially, those written by Ms. Heyer. She is a master at developing her characters. After a few pages you have a sense of who they really are. At the fast 'happily ever after' you are cheering for the hero/heroine and sometimes the jilted fiance/friend. Recommend ...more
Kathy
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this collection!! Loved, loved, loved!! Review to come.....
Anneceleste
Hazard, Full moon, A husband for Fanny, Bath miss and Snowdrift are my favourites.
Judy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some delightful short stories of romantic fiction.
AJ
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Georgette Heyer or Regency-era fans
Recommended to AJ by: The authoress
Stories: 11
Pages: 214

Short Stories’ Titles and Order:
1. “Pistols for Two”
2. “A Clandestine Affair”
3. “Bath Miss”
8. “The Duel”
9. “Hazard”
10. “Snowdrift”
11. “Full Moon”

First let me begin this review by saying that I read this book back in 2015. However, after I read a book, I always try to write out my feelings on the story when I finish. Sometimes, I’m moved to write a great deal to type up later. Other times, I j
A.M.
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
A set of eleven short stories by Heyer. There are a lot of mentions of eloping to Gretna Green, forced engagements, duels, feisty young ladies with large eyes and curly hair. They seem to be the ones to watch out for.
Naturally all our heroes are Brummel-like well dressed men, Corinthians but not dandies, with multi-layered garrick coats - one with sixteen shoulder capes! Sixteen! Intricately tied cravats and well shined Hessian boots.
There is a fair sprinkle of insta-love; but there has to be in
Yue
I know that LMM and GH are two different authors that barely have things in common: one was inspired in little towns set in Canada, the other in Regency era set in Great Britain. But this book is certainly a "Kindred Spirit", and has a resemblance to the short stories I enjoy reading so much, written by LMM. All stories are wonderfully narrated; it was like reading a whole book and not just a short story. The characters were all likeable, and, as expected from GH, her heroes are the word in fash ...more
Nenya
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PISTOLS FOR TWO
5 star
story about two boys, friends since young, now quarreling over a girl (who is marrying someone else). sweet, fun story

A CLANDESTINE AFFAIR
1 star
meh. some misunderstanding 12 years ago. H reproaches h, h says "it's not like you haven't had consolation", H goes "yeah, but i didn't marry any of them", then they make up. oh, and their niece and nephew are in love, which is what brought them together now.

BATH MISS
4 stars
rather questionable (morals, intentions) ... all 3 of them a
Barbara K.
I'm not really a fan of short stories, especially short romances, since it seems to me that to be believable a romance has to go quite deeply into developing characters. This is a collection of short Regency romances by Georgette Heyer. I did enjoy it, but I'm not excited about it. It does contain her usual amazing sense of place and history, her sense of humor, and even does very well portraying characters, though some of them brought a feeling of familiarity, most likely because of similar cha ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • A Conformable Wife: A Regency Romance with a spirited heroine
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • An Advantageous Marriage: A thrilling Regency romance
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • The Semi-Detached House
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers, #5)
  • Dancing with Clara
  • A Certain Magic
  • The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Georgette and the Unrequited Love
  • The Jewelled Snuff Box
  • A Modest Independence (Parish Orphans of Devon, #2)
  • The Duke Meets His Match
  • A Lord Apart (The Way to a Lord's Heart, #2)
  • Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2)
  • Echoes of the Dance
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer. Rougier later became a barrister and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance nov