Start by marking “Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)” as Want to Read:
Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)

Leia: Princess of Alderaan

(Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  8,623 ratings  ·  1,346 reviews
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....there was a princess who became a legend.

Sixteen-year-old Princess Leia Organa faces the most challenging task of her life so far: proving herself in the areas of body, mind, and heart to be formally named heir to the throne of Alderaan. She's taking rigorous survival courses, practicing politics, and spearheading relief missio
Hardcover, First Edition, 409 pages
Published September 1st 2017 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

·  8,623 ratings  ·  1,346 reviews

Start your review of Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)
Khurram
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
She nailed it spot on. Claudia Grey nailed Leia’s character and characteristics perfectly. I don’t mean to disrespect anybody but I honestly don’t think anyone could have written a better origin story for Leia.

At the beginning of the book, I felt a little disappointed that it was going to be a about young Leia, but book was incredible. Like I said Claudia showed every aspect of Leia’s personality. The princess, the warrior, the patient in-control negotiator, and fiery tempered hellcat.

This Leia’
Joe Valdez
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-general
Leia, Princess of Alderaan is a 2017 publication from Disney Lucasfilm Press which imagines the coming of age of a certain intergalactic princess before events depicted in Star Wars, when Carrie Fisher introduced Princess Leia Organa in 1977. This is my first exposure to the "Expanded Universe" novels set in George Lucas' cinematic universe and written by Claudia Gray, this one uses the Young Adult format to gaze into that universe. It's an exciting concept but one I struggled to get caught up i ...more
Mark Twain once said that every character in a story should have “sufficient excuse for being there” (Fenimore Cooper’s Literary Offenses). Each of the dramatis personae has to pull their weight, contributing to the narrative arc. It’s best if they can do this without messing up any of the other characters’ arcs while they do this.

This applies to Keir Demati (sp?), the male lead and love interest in Claudia Gray’s Leia: Princess of Alderaan. Keir is one of Leia’s classmates, for lack of a better
Ben Brown
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars-canon
This was the Star Wars book I’ve been waiting for.

When Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2014 and effectively rebooted the canon, allowing for a complete narrative overhaaul of the novel line, I was pretty psyched. For years, I had longed to jump into the Star Wars novels, but had always found the sheer size of the EU’s canon simply to be too overwhelming. A fresh restart allowed me the opportunity to jump in from the beginning, and ever since the release of the first new-canon novel “A New Dawn,” in A
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Hello it is I--Star Wars trash and avid lover of all things Leia.

Just going to casually sell my soul for an ARC, brb.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
99 cents on Kindle US today 12/16/18
Justine
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version of this with my kids and I really enjoyed it. I think I probably liked it more than they did! As usual, the Star Wars books have excellent production quality for audio, so that was great. But I also thought the story itself was quite good.

This is very much a YA coming of age story, but it was meaningful and fulfilling to learn about how Leia grows into the kind of person we see her to be when she appears in the films. I thought it read consistently with how s
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, if you like Star Wars you NEED to read it! So much foreshadowing and it presents a great look at leia in her younger years
Neil R. Coulter
Writing the backstories of iconic characters is probably a bad idea almost all the time. It certainly is for Princess Leia. Claudia Gray's novel about Leia a little before Episode 4 is really bad. I can accept that perhaps Leia was once a ridiculous teenager, going through bland, stereotypical teenager problems; but I don't want to read about it. And now I have anyway--for which I blame myself, of course. :)

Much of the novel feels like a generic YA story with Star Wars characters and locations a
Andi
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review is gonna be pretty emotional and spoiler heavy (in regards to the book and the future movie, The Last Jedi) so read when you have finished and if you feel that you are down for some musings.

I was so excited for my Force Friday purchases to get this book and start reading it after I finished my non-Star Wars read. I mean, last time, Lost Stars was my read after Force Friday purchases and it not only introduced me to Claudia Gray (and forever solidified anything she wrote in the new EU
Erin Bembridge
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪
4 Cookies
"My parents. My friends. My world. These are the things the Empire can never take away."
Check my blog out!

I almost forgot to write a review on this one! I'm going to put some on the backstory as well so you don't go into the book totally blind. ;)

Extra info:
There are lots of characters that are actually in the newest Star Wars movie The Last Jedi. One of the things you will probably notice is the adopted parents of Leia. Yes. It lines up right with the movie. I was actually gla
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/09/30/...

As far as I’m concerned, Claudia Gray has already proven herself capable of writing a damn good Star Wars novel, with fantastic examples like Lost Stars and Bloodline. So when I found out she was penning a new YA novel about Leia, it was automatically added to my must-read list.

The book, titled Leia, Princess of Alderaan, is a look back at the titular character’s early life as a daughter and heir to the throne of one of th
Lata
3-3.5 stars. Leia is one of my favourite characters from the original Star Wars movies. Though, as she's the only female character of any significance from the original movies does kind of limit my choices for favourite character....This is a story of Leia at sixteen years old, gradually going through a variety of trials in preparation for becoming officially recognized as the future ruler of Alderaan. Claudia Gray gives us a picture of the loving and solid family life that Leia grew up in, and ...more
Zoraida
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My princess, my general, my queen.
Katie.dorny
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
For me; this was a decent introduction to Star Wars as a whole and the character of Leia. The story was very much aimed a teenage audience I feel. But it was enjoyable overall.
There was of course a romance but I enjoyed the twist and the innocence of it. I also loved how it made Leia think more about the situation regarding the empire and the future rebellion.
It introduces the history before the rebellion (in explaining this as someone who has never seen the movies but would love to when I physi
Ilona
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars-canon, 2017
"My parents, Leia thought. My friends, my world. These are the things The Empire can never take away"

I'll just be over here, crying over this book.
Shadowdenizen
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Confession: I'm not generally a fan of "filling in the cracks" of the Star Wars universe: with the whole galaxy to play with, I prefer to have original characters/stories/scenarios, rather than learning about an alien that had one scene in the Mos Eisley cantina.

That said, the name Claudia Gray has come to mean quality for me when it comes to the Star Wars universe, and so I'm more than happy to support her continued work!

POST-READ: Another win for Ms Gray, who continues her impeccable run of ta
Ashley
Claudia Gray is three for three with Star Wars books. I've been reading Star Wars books for over half my life now (!) and she is probably the best, most consistent author of these books that I have any experience of, and I'm including Zahn in that, because for a while there the books he was producing felt sub-par. She just brings such a nice sense of nuance and character depth. And she really gets Leia, as she proved in her adult novel, Bloodline (which is probably my favorite Star Wars book), a ...more
Amy Sturgis
Those who say this book is "essential reading" for Star Wars fans -- both old-school aficionados and those anxious for preparatory information for the next film -- are correct. I think at this point it's safe to propose that if Claudia Gray wrote it for Star Wars, you should read it.

Also, Breha Organa rocks.
Melissa
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Really enjoyed this one! Got to learn a lot of the rise of the rebellion, and Leia's part in it along with her gaining the title as heir to Alderaan. Yep, if you love Star Wars, I think you should read this.
Nanci
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Claudia Gray: HOW DARE YOU.
Red
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I know Claudia Gray doesn't like to do research on Nazi propaganda (Leia repeats a Nazi motto. Nice, huh?), but I'd hoped she'd research Leia's storied, almost-half-century-old lore before producing this Young Adult teen romance novel. Once again, when it comes to Star Wars, Disney is not to be trusted.

The theme in this book will be very familiar because it's already been told in the Original Trilogy.

Hmm, let's see, Leia is a sixteen year old princess, bound by her duties, and never had any time
Neferet Moon
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Since I was little, princess Leia has always been one of my favorite characters. It was one of the first princesses that I saw that didn't need to be constantly saved, she could save herself.

I feel like Claudia Gray nailed Leia's character. This is the story about how Leia joined the rebellion. We get to see her thoughts about the Empire, we get to see how compassionate, determined and strong she is, even at the age of 16.

One of the aspects that I liked a lot is that we get to know more about
Robert
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those Who Need to Holdo My Beer
The title might say Leia, but the star of the show is named Amilyn.

I said what I said.

Jokes aside, this is yet another very solid Claudia Gray installment in the Canon novels series. She does a marvellous job increasing the tension in terms of the stakes while never letting the titular Princess's teenaged hijinks hiking up mountains and participating in her Galaxy's Model UN distract from the weight of What Is to Come.
Artemy
Nov 13, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: book-books, star-wars
A story about teenage, pre-New Hope Leia falling in love with a boy and learning to balance her social life and royal duties. Basically, a typical young adult book in the Star Wars setting. Not my thing at all. I was hoping this would somehow tie into the upcoming Episode VIII (for which I am super excited), but the book really doesn’t seem to have anything to do with it, despite saying “Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi” on the cover.
Claire
That was pretty much devastating. My heart!

In terms of style and sentence structure, it was remarkably accessible/simple in a way that a lot of YA isn't to struggling readers, but without feeling like it talked down at any point. Similarly, the ways that Leia is a teen character with necessarily-limited vision and a great deal of righteous passion is incredibly relatable and realistic. And the ways that she makes mistakes despite her intentions and intelligence and resources... ohhh... but then
TJ
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this because I loved Lost Stars, but this was too boring for me. The writing itself was good, but it felt like nothing was happening. Ever. And the setting was all over the place, and I just didn’t care about any of it. 3/5 Stars.
Paige
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ivy
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 🌟

Nice to have another novel by Claudia Gray starting Leia. Cool to know what trials she has to pass to become the crown princess of Alderaan. Fun to see how she met Amilyn Holdo and became part of the Rebel Alliance. Her romance with Kier Domadi was very sweet. May he rest in peace. Hope Leia will be fine in the Last Jedi. Looking forward to hopefully seeing more of Leia in future novels by Claudia Gray.
Michelle Curie
Every now and then I get Star Wars cravings that I have no other choice but to act upon and when the zillionth rewatch of the films won't do, I'll know it's time for me to dive into another canon novel.

Leia: Princess of Alderaan is a prequel to Rogue One and A New Hope and therefore shows Princess Leia as a teenager, a young sixteen year old girl that is yet to become the fierce and devoted woman we know from the movies. We meet her at a time where has to prove that she is a worthy princess and
All About YA : January/February BOTM: Leia, Princess of Alderaan 2 20 Jan 29, 2018 07:14AM
Star Wars Book Club: Leia 15 36 Dec 05, 2017 10:30AM

• Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • From a Certain Point of View (From a Certain Point of View, #1)
  • Thrawn: Alliances (Star Wars: Thrawn, #2)
  • Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel (Star Wars)
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more

Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Captain Phasma
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • A Leader Named Leia
  • The Power of the Force (Journey to Star Wars - The Last Jedi)
  • Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • The Rebel Files (Star Wars)