Start by marking “Given to the Earth (Given Duet, #2)” as Want to Read:
Given to the Earth (Given Duet, #2)

Given to the Earth

(Given Duet #2)

Duty, fate, desire, and destiny collide in this intricately wrought tale, perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas.

Although she was born to save the kingdom by sacrificing herself to the rising sea, Khosa's marriage to King Vincent has redeemed her. As the Queen of Stille, she's untouchable. But being Queen hasn't stopped her heart from longing for the King's stepbrother, Donil.
Published April 10th 2018 by Putnam's Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Given to the Earth, please sign up.
Asteropê Book #1 gives credit to Cliff Nielsen, since this looks to be done in a similar way, I assume he is also the artist for this cover as well. You can…moreBook #1 gives credit to Cliff Nielsen, since this looks to be done in a similar way, I assume he is also the artist for this cover as well. You can see some of his works here: http://www.shannonassociates.com/clif...(less)

Start your review of Given to the Earth (Given Duet, #2)
Trina (Between Chapters)
Good and brutal ending. Some things I didn't enjoy in book 1 were either absent or much less in this book. I really like Mindy's worldbuilding, especially the language. The curse words the characters use all reflect their world - it's a world where the ocean is threatening to swallow their land so their curses are like 'filthy fathoms!' or 'tides!' There are other phrases that are unique to this world and such a small detail as the language really made it feel real.

Potential triggers: cheating,
Jenny Jo Weir
Ah Mindy. How you screw with my head and heart! Seriously, this woman is a beast at writing. I have nothing but respect for her and her talent (I’m also a little bit scared of her).

Oh Dara and Donil. Sweet Vincent…and Witt. Even Ank and Khosa.

Every time anything Dara came up I would immediately think of that line in Pride and Prejudice: “I never saw such a woman. She would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold.” I mean really, when you think of a strong female character, there are none
Danielle
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The slow decay of magic in the book was pivotal in the book, Khosa is still having fits and being called to the sea, the earth is growing quieter and quieter. Khosa finds a possible way to save the people of Stille, but would they agree knowing that what is proposed has never been done before?

This book did not suffer from the “Sophomore Syndrome” when it comes to books in a series, I found this book to be better than the first one to be honest, it may be because the pace was already set by the
Lauren Stoolfire
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Given to the Earth by Mindy McGinnis is a pretty fantastically dark conclusion to this duology. I definitely preferred it to the first book in the series. We get more and some different perspective characters, but the addition of Dara was hands down my favorite aspect. I also particularly enjoyed that we got to see more of the wider world that we did the first time around. Mindy McGinnis is one of my favorite authors and if you're at all a fan of her work, you'll need to try her fantasy novels.
Jill Criswell
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Given to the Sea, readers were introduced to five tragic characters. Vincent, the reluctant heir to the throne of Stille. Khosa, a young woman raised to be sacrificed. Indiri twins Donil and Dara, the last of their race. And Witt, the leader of the Pietra, a young man who must pretend to be heartless to keep his people safe. Given to the Earth follows them to the end of their journeys. As the earth beneath them crumbles, so do their loyalties, their fates becoming entangled in ways that are ...more
Erin
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: magic, fantasy, 2019
Not going to lie, I skim read this one. Mainly because I just wanted to know how it ended. The first book was okay, great concept, but not exactly what I wanted. This one was the same. In the end I didn't particularly care for a lot of the characters.

This may be due, in part, to the fact that each chapter is a different character and it is constantly changing. There were five different peoples stories I was seeing and it would get complicated trying to keep track. And most of the people I didn't
Megan
Apr 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I hated how this ended. I hated how the stupid romance came together.. if you can even call it that. I finished this early this morning and I have had time to calm down but still hate it. Im just not upset enough to rant out a review.
Nina  van der Kooij
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had such a sad ending, which I won't talk about too much to avoid spoilers.
What I liked: The great and varying cast of characters, with many people on different sides of a conflict where neither party is right or wrong. There were two characters I absolutely didn't expect to even like each other who got together, and I liked that development. It didn't come out of nothing, in a way they made sense together.
What I didn't like: In the beginning, the chapters varied a bit too much. We
Kelesea
Title: Given to the Earth

Author: Mindy McGinnis

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Fantasy

Series: Given to the Sea, book two

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

The author gave me an advance reader copy of this book at a library visit in August—she even signed it for me—thank you so much, Mindy, it means so much to me!

When I heard that Mindy McGinnis, one of my favorite Ohio-based authors, was coming to my local library to discuss the book club book, Not a Drop to Drink, I was so excited. I’d never been
Laney
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ky
Sep 14, 2017 marked it as to-read
Tbh I'm only really putting this on my to-read shelf because I want to know how things turn out. Can't leave the story unfinished lol
Elyse
This is another one I think I would've benefited from reading instead of listening. The full cast production helped a little but only after I got used to who was speaking for whom. I wasn't crazy about Given to the Sea when I read it in 2017 but I wanted to complete this duet. I also think this would've benefited from being a trilogy instead of a a duet. This is another duet that has SO MUCH GOING ON! I was confused, there are so many different tribes of people in this book! I forgot who was ...more
Abby Pechin
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although this book took me a while to get into at first, I was not disappointed! About halfway through I didn't want to put it down! I hope she makes a third book to this series but the ending was sufficient.
Beccy
Apr 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
True rating; an incalculable amount of negative stars, whose collapse would cause enough supermassive black holes that the universe would cease to exist

At some points this book is actually offensive - there are a colony of rejects who are completely stigmatized and ostracized, but surprising are more accepted than the indigenous population. Go figure.

At other points it is ridiculously stupid - I could not tell you why some character perspectives are in third person perspective and other are in
Cassie
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Given to the Earth follows a few months after the captivating ending of Given to the Sea. Also, told in multiple points-of-view like its fantasy duo, this book focuses on how Khosa’s thought-to-be tragic sacrifice to the sea has now turned into a chance to live and be queen. But with these new changes in motion, the Earth begins to literally crumble beneath them and the loyalties among the characters are challenged. Love becomes a triangle of complexities–trust and forgiveness are tested. ...more
Kaka_shi
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
For me? The way i know i loved a series is when i want more.
So even though im unhappy and gosh darn pissed about more then a few events in this last book. Ultimately... i confess im head over feet in love.
i think what it really is. Is the writing?
Nothings repetitive. Everythings described in a way where it's detailed without.... details? Hmmyup that sounds weird. I dont rally know what im trying to say. Except this book got me. The love triangle or quadrangle whatever was shit. And a whole
Christina
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Wow! Excellent sequel to the amazing Given to the Sea. McGinnis writes books that you have to slow down and savor; these are the most literary fantasy books I've ever read, very different and memorable. The stories of Khosa, the Given who is now The Redeemed, King Vincent, the Lithos Witt, and Dara and Donil the Indiri, continue in this volume to be as intertwined and interdependent on each other as the land and sea of the kingdoms of Stille and Pietra where they live. There are loves found and ...more
Lekeisha The Booknerd
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I wasn't expecting to like this more than its predecessor, but it took away the dislike for that god awful love triangle! I am pleasantly surprised by whom is "given to the earth". It does make sense in the end. And I found myself liking Khosa more in this sequel.
Together, these two books are good fantasy for your fodder. Okay, that sounds totally dirty. LOL! Seriously, if Given To The Earth was just a standalone, I'd have probably given it 5 stars. But, it's a damn solid sequel that I
Maricel
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bored to death reading this book and skipped 60% just so i can finish and be done with it.
The only thing I liked in this book was Vincent, who is a good friend, loyal brother, martyr husband and responsible king.
(view spoiler)
Sylvia
The fact that the book has only 196 ratings is the reason why the overal rating isn't much lower. Only the people who liked the first part of the Given Duet, decided to read the next as well. And it wasn't as good as the frist one.

I liked "Given to the Sea" much more than "Given to the Earth". In fact, I struggled to finish the later.

Pluses of "Given to the Earth":
+ characters from book one are more developed and we have a better perspective from more points of view (it wasn't chaotic for me,
Caro Herrera
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This actually a high 3.5 for me. So... 3.6, I guess?
The story started out slow and I was a little bored at first. I kind of felt the same way about the first book, though. However, the ending really picked up and tore my heart out.
Also- I'm going to need more information in this epilogue. I have questions! Lots and lots of questions that remain unanswered!!! (Ok, it's really just 3 questions, but they're big questions!)
Anyway, this book is beautifully written. It's not a high action story (until
Jenna Hackeman
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elyn
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trilogy, fantasy
I'm going to say that this had potential and unlike other books I say this about, it stayed good.
In a way. The two deaths were absolutely unnecessary, the main plot already driven far enough that it could've gone without. Also they had just starting plot arcs of their own, that could've turned out far more interesting than the actual ending in my opinion. It felt a bit forced, like there had to be ends cut so it would only be two books, not three.
Alyssa
Feb 04, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018
3.5 Stars. A huge thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a DRC in exchange for an honest review.
Jasmine Burt
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
To be honest this was very disappointing

I was disappointed in the ending, in the way that the Khosa/Vincent and Donil love triangle was handled. I didn't like Khosa and Donil much in this book.
The Good points are the Witt and Dara chapters and the very brief moments when they are happy.
Vincent's chapters were great, and I liked that we got Ank's POV as well as Donil.

Sara Codair
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given to the Earth is a continuation of the events in Given to the Earth. I’ll refrain from describing the plot in this review because I’m not sure I can do so without spoilers or copying too much for the blurb.

On the sentence level, the writing was lovely. I never had trouble picturing anything, and felt every time the writer stopped to describe something in detail, it was relevant and layered with meaning. However, that wasn’t enough for me to be drawn in the book like I expected to be.

As
Bethany Fletcher
Wow. What an ending. I can’t decide if it was good or not. Hmmmmmm

Also, sex is referenced nearly every second page. Either jesting from soldiers, husbands wanting wives, talk of rape. Honestly, every couple of pages. I started taking photos of every reference and I have a whole folder full. It was ridiculous.

Having half of the POV’s in first person and half in third person is still a little odd. Not to the point of annoyance but still weird to read.

The fight scene was so quick. In fact the
Natalie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The second in the Given Duet is miles better than the first, Given to the Sea, but that's not saying much. It seems Given to the Earth is the book McGinnis was aiming for. It was her end goal for her characters, and the story she really wanted to tell. Unfortunately, I don't think many will read it due to the fact that the first is so difficult to get through. It feels as though there's so much character growth in this book that there really should have been some of it in the first, and the ...more
Mandy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-library
Alicia
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
« previous 1 3 next »

• Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows, #2)
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • Bright Burns the Night (Dark Breaks the Dawn Duology #2)
  • Once a King (A Clash of Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Crystal Storm (Falling Kingdoms, #5)
  • Green Lantern: Legacy
  • Sea Witch Rising (Sea Witch, #2)
  • The Cerulean  (The Cerulean Duology, #1)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • The Midnight Dance
  • The Rebel Army #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #9)
  • Allied (Ruined #3)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
  • Furyborn (Empirium, #1)
  • The Traitor Prince
  • Carnival of Secrets (Untamed City, #1)

Mindy McGinnis is an Edgar Award-winning novelist who writes across multiple genres, including post-apocalyptic, historical, thriller, contemporary, mystery, and fantasy.

While her settings may change, you can always count on Mindy’s books to deliver grit, truth, and an unflinching look at humanity and the world around us.

Given Duet (2 books)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
“It is in my blood. It is in my bone. It is in my being. Before my mother became earth, she told us our names, her final thought becoming our first as my twin brother and I crawled from the pit that held our slaughtered people, our infant feet now the last on this land to carry the Indiri marks.” 0 likes
“Often I think you'd have made an excellent Lithos. And then you open your mouth.” 0 likes