Start by marking “The Insider” as Want to Read:
The Insider

The Insider

San Francisco corporate attorney Will Connelly's well-ordered life is shattered when he watches a colleague hurtle to his death outside his office window. Within days, Will is the prime suspect in a murder, the target of an SEC insider trading investigation, and a pawn in a complex criminal scheme involving the Russian mafia and a ruthless terrorist plot.

Now, Will must
Kindle Edition
Published May 4th 2010 by MacGuffin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Insider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Insider

Start your review of The Insider
Tulay
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading this story.

Legal thriller but no courtroom scenes, edge of the seat thrill ride from the beginning to the end. Fights, torture and murders, didn't liked the long fight at the end. Organized crime, terrorist, friend that turnouts not a friend, insider trading. Liked this his writing style, will read more books written by Reece Hirsch.
Larry
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Insider" is a thriller set in a corrupt legal firm. It ratchets up tension skillfully. A trial isn't at its core; staying alive is. Wow.
Naomi
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so excited!! I found out I won this book on first reads, AFTER 4 ATTEMPTS! Who says persistence doesn't pay off!! I cannot wait to read it again. My husband really wants to read it because I kept talking to him about it. This book is well worth a second read it is so good and I am hoping to catch some stuff I missed. It will def. become part of my library and it is a rare book that I like so much that I want it to become part of my permanent library. I am already recommending it to people. ...more
TraceyK
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed this book! But I wish I didn't start it while I were busy. Possibly could've liked it even better if I hadn't been. Nonetheless, it won't deter me from giving it a good review & a great referal.
Instant chemistry I felt between the characters and just an easy read for me.
It is definitely classic in some ways and if you read it, you'll understand. It'll even give you a chuckle.
Rick F.
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have a brilliant new THINKING PERSONS' Thriller writer!!! Reece Hirsch and his Will Connelly character are such a welcome addition to the legal thriller genre. Hirsch, an attorney himself, has created a complex plot and characters so real and well detailed that the reader immediately falls under the novel's spell. Here's to many more Will Connelly novels! A MUST READ

Rick Friedman
Founder/Moderator
James Mason Community Book Club
Giovanni Gelati
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happy Monday to all. To get the week off to a good start, our Flavor of the Day is Reece Hirsch’s debut novel The Insider. It being his first offering and Reece Hirsch being an esquire and all, I will try to watch my P’s & Q’s. You may want to inject your own lawyer joke here; I will give pause as you do that.

Me, Giovanni Gelati, being of simple mind and enormous body (please see profile picture), did hereby enjoy the novel. I grew up with the Cold War and despise all things Russian, even
Kathryn
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I throughly enjoyed this book. It is a quick read with a very likeable character. Will Connelly is an attorney who has just made partner at his firm, when all hell breaks loose! I sometimes questioned Will's decisions as I read through the novel, but by the end learned that Will is very sharp.

The mafiya characters are very believeable and the story has a real twist to the ending. "The Insider" is a terrific thriller and I look forward to Reece Hirsch's next book!
Paula
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Fast-paced and entirely captivating, this book was hard to put down. I couldn't wait to find out how, or if, Will would ever find a way to clear himself of all the trouble that he found himself in the middle of. Loved the San Francisco setting, too. I'll be sure to look out for more books from Reece Hirsch!
Rhonda Lomazow
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exciting page turner

Russian gangsters,big city law firm,regulatory agencies,framed good guys all collide in intriguing tale which pushes the reader to keep going from start to finish.
Benjamin
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
What?!? HOW can this be Reece Hirsch's first book???

I was very impressed and very caught up in the narrative reading this book cover-to-cover in 2 days. Hirsch is not only an intelligent and educated individual, but also a very gifted writer. This is obviously a winning combination and The Insider is proof of this.

I hope to see more books from this author!

[Disclaimer: I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.]
AH

I used to read legal thrillers a long time ago. After a while I found that they were pretty much the same book over and over again, so I stopped reading them. Then I received The Insider in the mail as part of a Goodreads giveaway. I examined the front cover and back cover. There were a lot of glowing reviews for this book. So I settled in to read the book. I enjoyed every gripping moment.

The Insider is a legal thriller, and can be compared to the John Grisham books. As a debut novel, it is a
Shawn Fairweather
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free read thanks to the Goodreads Firstreads program! I love a good Grishamesque novel especially when its free! I was able to spend 2 days of my vacation dedicated to this and it really helped me pass the time of what became a pretty hectic week. As all the other reviews of Mr. Hirschs first effort say...very fast moving which keeps the reader zoned in. Some points I was able to sit back and say, yeah the has the feel of being a first book, but most of it was centered around the ...more
Stephanie MacDonald
This was an enjoyable read from beginning to end. The action starts right away in this book and keeps you lured in until the end. I won't soon forget about Will and his misfortunes throughout the story! One thing after another, so many angles and possibilities, it was definitely an adventure I could see turned into a film. I cannot recall the last time I read a book that involved the Russian Mafiya and these characters were a refreshing addition to this story. I was able to form quite the images ...more
Joy
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this debut legal thriller. The inevitable comparison is to Grisham, of course, because of the lawyer-in-trouble-against-other-dirty-lawyers thing. And while the style is reminiscent, it's very unique.

Overall, I thought "The Insider" was well paced and had believable and likable characters. I work with a number of Russians and thought that Hirsch nailed Yuri and Nikolai's manner of speech. I was also impressed with the twist at the end. There were some places in the middle where
BonusMom
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievably believable

What a great story! A tale of intrigue and cunning by someone who has been framed and is now in over his head. Great read. Recommended.
Hazel Nance
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Innicent

An interesting look into white. collar crimes and easy it is to be innocently pulled into committing it. I could not put it down.
Kat
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Basic Plot: Will (lawyer) gets caught up in inside trading by the Russian mafiya, who happen to be working with some Middle-Eastern terrorists looking to steal some serious technology from a tech company, sell it on the black market, and commit naughty terrorist acts in San Francisco.

I won this book from First Reads here at Goodreads. As it was my first "win," I was really excited to get an autographed free book (who on this site wouldn't be?) and try something out of my usual genre.

I kinda feel
Dreanda
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book as a giveaway on Goodreads. I have to be honest when saying that legal thrillers really aren't a genre I generally want to get my hands on. I started this book expecting it to be so so.
I tell you though, I should stop judging a book before I read it! This book was really good. Page after page it surprised me with action around every turn. Just when you think things are calming down in the storyline, Will gets into an even bigger predicament.

One thing that seems
Billjr13
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The Insider, a real action thriller set in the world of corporate espionage. I enjoyed this book and it is a relatively quick book to read. The main character is likeable and fairly believable. Will Connelly is an attorney who has just made partner in his law firm when all hell breaks loose. A colleague takes a header off of their office building right past Will’s window. It seems that the dead man had tried to call Will earlier and somehow Will’s keycard was switched with the dead colleague ...more
Gregandemy
Won this from Goodread's first read giveaways!

I had my husband read this first while I finished some other books I already had. Here is his review until I can add my own:

I was given this book by my wife to read and I loved it! This was such a great surprise as I had never heard of Reece Hirsch and thought this would be a predictable summer read, boy was I wrong. This book was well thought out, detailed, and expertly written. I will, without hesitation, force this book on several of my friends
Shay
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I am an avid mystery reader; I must read about 400+ mysteries a year. I'm surprised that this is his first novel as he doesn't fall prey to some of the biggest pitfalls of the debut mystery. I find that a lot of first mystery books feature the quirky/weird/flamboyant best friend and that the characters are more caricature than "real" characters. This novel features very well written and believable characters. I love the little details like the ...more
Kimberly
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Insider is a gripping novel; I had trouble putting it down every time I opened it. The characters were well developed, and the imagery was so vivid that I felt like I was right there with Will, running from the mafiya while trying to maintain my innocence. Very witty and smart. Hirsch obviously put a lot of time into creating his story and doing his research. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes suspenseful novels. [Disclaimer: I won a free copy through Good Reads.]
Allison
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through the First Reads giveaways. The book was alright, though I found it to be a little stiff. It just didn't pull me in that much, and I found that a lot of things were coming together a little too easily, and it was hard to suspend my disbelief. It just didn't really feel like anyone was really ever in any real danger.
Steven
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reece-hirsch
I thought this story was INTENSE!!! What a roller coaster ride. I can't believe I won such an awesome title on Goodreads's giveaway. From the first chapter this book makes you a hostage to the main character's situation, and for being Reece Hirsch's first novel...WOW!! He is an extremely talented author and I hope to see more titles by him soon.
Susan Hupp
This is an excellent book, captured my attention right away and it just kept going and going. A book that I did not want to put down.
Robert Intriago
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for two reasons. One, I grew up in San Francisco and the scenery was familiar; and second, the legal mystery was innovative as it involved technology and terrorism. Overall it did keep my interest as it is full of action and suspense but there were some inconsistencies in the reasoning of the plot. The novel did remind me a bit of the early Baldacci books.
C J Ainsworth
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An exciting read

This is a compelling story line. The twists and turns in the plot are not predictable . would read more by this author.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Will Connelly should have answered Ben’s call that early morning. But he didn’t. Eyes widened, he watches his colleague plummet to his death. Grabbing a key card, Will runs outside and discovers his own key card near Ben’s body – oops. Suspecting Ben’s death wasn’t a suicide, he quickly decides to tell the police about the security card mix up to avoid becoming a suspect. But, a suspect he becomes; especially after he makes partner and becomes the lead attorney in the firm’s major merger case. ...more
Linda
Reece Hirsch’s book “The Insider”is a wonderful read and I recommend it with great enthusiasm. There's not much more that you ask for in a fast paced thriller than what Reece Hirsch has given us in this book. From the opening where a young attorney watched a fellow attorney plummet to the earth out of a multi storied San Francisco law office to the cold and dark parking garages near the ocean, this book was filled with suspense, terror, intrigue, and a bit of light romance. Hirsch struck just ...more
Hira
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
"The Insider" by Reece Hirsch is a fine specimen of a legal thriller. Fast paced, action packed, suspenseful till the end, and thoroughly enjoyable, "The Insider" is a riveting ride into the world of Will Connelly, who finds his world imploding as he witnesses a fellow attorney plunge to his death in front of his eyes. If I had not read the author's biography, and known that this was his first novel, I would never have guessed so.

The book is an easy read, always titillating in its sense of

• An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
  • Dark Angel (Lassiter/Martinez Case Files; #2)
  • The Innocent (Ryan Lock #5)
  • Sidewinder (The Halcyon Files, #1)
  • Big Numbers
  • The Closing (Whippoorwill Hollow, #1)
  • The Raid (Ryan Decker #2)
  • Sacrifice
  • State vs. Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • JAMES 516 (London Carter, #1)
  • The Ambassador's Wife  (The Mean Streets of Asia Crime Novels #1)
  • Serenity (Shelby Alexander, #1)
  • A Bustle in the Hedgerow (CASMIRC, #1)
  • The Fairmont Maneuver (Scott Steletto #2)
  • Proof (Caroline Auden, #2)
  • Once Night Falls
  • Lay Death at Her Door
  • The Termination Protocol (Scott Steletto #1)
Reece Hirsch is the author of five thrillers that draw upon his background as a privacy attorney. His first book, The Insider, was a finalist for the 2011 International Thriller Writers Award for Best First Novel. His next three books, The Adversary, Intrusion, and Surveillance, all feature former Department of Justice cybercrimes prosecutor Chris Bruen. Hirsch is a partner in the San Francisco ...more
“I want to stop becoming something & start being something.” 35 likes
“She had not understood what he said, but she took him in with a glance that made Will feel like he had just had one of those full-body MRI scans, the kind that find more things wrong with you than you ever could have imagined.” 8 likes