Start by marking “Parker's Sanctuary (Guardsmen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Parker's Sanctuary (Guardsmen, #2)

Parker's Sanctuary

(Guardsmen #2)

Stalked by danger, will Parker ever find a place to call home?

Greg Lademar is an ordinary and average Army veteran who has settled down with his job as an accountant and his lingering PTSD. He lives a quiet life as a single man, alone on the former blueberry farm he bought from his parents after they retired to Orlando. When a friend who works with animal control asks him
Published April 13th 2017 (first published April 7th 2017)

Start your review of Parker's Sanctuary (Guardsmen, #2)
Tammy
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: average-read
Interesting but seemed to drag out longer than completely necessary and I wanted to feel more chemistry between Greg and Eli the man versus Greg and Parker the protector.
Gigi
Apr 18, 2017 marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me
I started this and then released it was the 2nd book in a series I wasn't fond of. I decided to quit while I was ahead.
Rin
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!

I think I loved this more than the first book. There were many struggles and some angst but unlike the first book, it was more of outside forces rather than friction between the two main characters. The bad guy here was also more menacing to me than the one in the first book. He was slippery and creepy and I wanted him to go down real bad.

Greg was my favourite character. His rational thinking (no tough dealing it alone nonsense) and protectiveness of Parker made him an easy favourite.
Chris, the Dalek King
While I liked the story, there is no denying how utterly frustrating the characters and plot of it became. Everyone kept insisting that Greg couldn't be a Handler, despite how Parker was clearly responding to him, but it wasn't until 4/5 thru the book that it was even explained why everyone kept insisting on that fact. Like, couldn't that have happened after Parker first turned back to human? Because as it was I spent a majority of the book thinking everyone was bloody idiots. It wasn't even ...more
F.
I thoroughly got entwined in Eli and Greg and read this in the one day. There were a few pronoun errors but not enough to diminish the story. I will have to now read the prologue and the first book to get Alex and Mark's story.
Couldn't understand at first why Greg was in denial about what he was, Parker certainly knew. But it was explained later on, if you blinked you missed it.(view spoiler)
Jackie
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I have done today is read this book. And it was a fantastic way to spend my day.

I really enjoyed the first book in the series and if it's been a while since you read it you might be advised to indulge again, just to reacquaint yourself with the world of Handlers and Protectors. I'm thrilled that the story has been continued.

Greg reluctantly fosters an abused dog, only Parker isn't just a dog. Marcus and Alex, still forging their own trail in a world that has defined roles for
llv
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ku, shifter
Rating: 5 stars
I really loved this book. Both Parker and Greg touched my heart as the main characters. I especially loved how Greg was always there for Parker when he needed him. I was really invested in what happens to these characters from start to finish.

We also get to see more of the two MC's from The Protector. I must say that I went back and re-read that book prior to starting this one and I'm glad I did. I think I would have been a bit lost otherwise.

I highly recommend both this book and
Becky
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. A great engaging read where I was totally submersed in Greg and Eli's world - their fight, the inevitability of their situation and what it meant to them. It is several years since I read book 1 which I also loved, but my mind remembered how I mentally viewed the tale so full marks for world building in both stories.
Joyfully Jay
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay, kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

Parkers Sanctuary is the second book in Cooper Wests excellent Guardsmen series. Both Kris and Jay reviewed the first book, The Protector, and loved it (Jay in audio and Kris in ebook). We didnt expect that after two years there would be more books set in the Guardsmen world, but now it appears West is turning it into a series. Since we both loved the first book so much, we decided to do the second book as a Buddy Read.

Read the review in its entirety here.
Christy
I was pleasantly surprised to stumble across this second book in the 'Guardsmen' series, purely by accident. The author self-published this book and it was pure luck that I discovered it considering how much I absolutely loved book one, 'The Protector'. The concept of Guardsmen, a mystical bonded pair who handle search and rescue, criminal forensics, law enforcement, and a number of other specialized jobs, was interesting all on its own. Add to it that Guardsmen are a pair made up of a Handler, ...more
Wende
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eli (Parker) and Greg was a wonderful addition to this great world the author has created. Greg had gotten a call to help with an injured dog. He was going to rehabilitate the dog so it could find a forever home. I loved the beginning as Parker started to heal and got into mischief. The way they grew close as dog and master. The surprise when Parker changed and became a naked man to protect Greg. As the two men grew in their relationship as men was just perfect. I loved it.
Diane Dannenfeldt
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent continuation of this series. What Eli went through was just beyond horrible! These two made a great couple.
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR LOVE BYTES

4.5 Stars

Back in 2014 I read a book by an unknown to me author called The Protector and fell in love so hard. The Protector has become a huge comfort read for me and I listen to the audio version every few months. Imagine my excitement when I found out there was a sequel coming out and we would once again be taken into the Guardsmen universe. There is the same hurt and comfort and the same angst as there was on book one but the stories are very different.

Greg Lademar is an
Elayne
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first book in this series was one of my first audio book buys and listens. I've watched for another in the series ever since. So it caught me on the hop when out of the blue I saw a review of this book. Needless to say I bought it immediately and read it, inhaled it really. Both Parker in both his incarnations and Greg are charismatic characters and I was rooting for them all the way. It was great that Marcus and Alex played a big part in the book. The other secondary characters were all ...more
Johnny Stonesifer
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love love love

Now I will say I was concerned on how this would play out. A pet turning into someone's lover is....well...could go wrong. But it was written perfectly and after taking a day or two before writing the review...I MISS the characters.

You really feel for them and I couldn't put the book down.

I am hoping there is a follow up book with Greg and Parker...moving into a bit more action pact scenes but I do highly recommend this book for any science fiction geeks that are hopeless
Duncan Husky
Rating: 4.75 out of 5

This is what I was hoping for! I'm fascinated by the world of Guardsmen, Handlers, and Protectors that West has created, and while the first book (The Protector) didn't live up to my expectations, this book did and then some!

I'm reviewing the free short story (Rescued, which serves as a prequel) together with the book (Parker's Sanctuary) because in my opinion they really do need to be read together. While the short story is told by Parker, the book is told from Greg's point
Ashley♥Alexis

I rarely read books my friends haven't already vouched for but Amazon recommended it to me and it look interesting. I didn't read the first book in this series and didn't even bother to see what that was about until I was half way through this book. The first 25% I thought this was going to be a four star read for me. I love love loved Parker and Greg. If the whole book was Parker as a dog I really would have been okay with that. I started to lose interest with all the guardsmen drama.
Feloidae *The Bookworm*
I read the first book in this series in 2016 I think and at that time it was listed as a standalone and I knew I desperately wanted it to become a series.
Browsing my fav authors I noticed that this was published a while ago and I knew I had to read it immediately. Which I did.

And holy cow I loved it!!!
I love this whole alternate universe and the Protector/handler dynamic.

I also loved I got to meet Marcus and Alex from book 1 again which allowed more insights to their relationship dynamic than
Pup Loki
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
after the little short I was looking really forward to this, but I d k. puppy was a little disappointed. on the one side there were a lot of errors like didn't edit it yourself errors. names not matching up and other stuff. on the other paw the world was inconsistent with the first book. overly long parts kind of dragged on. I feel like if this book is ever rewritten to match the world anf fix the inconsistency it could be amazing. heck I'd buy it again.
Sadie Jay
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked the story, but I was a bit lost at first. Although it works as a stand alone, having read the first one would have helped. It also needed a good line edit--or at least the version I read. I'm always not sure about mentioning that because I know there are glitches and we can get an early version. But the story interested me enough to keep reading. (normally, I'll quit reading a book with numerous typos)
Ann
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent story, thoroughly enjoyed, no doubt to be enjoyed again and again.

However, I only felt able to give it 4 stars because of the number of typos found. Thankfully, they aren't the sort that detract from the quality of the story or make it hard to read, but I did notice them hence the 4 stars.
Andrea
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
KU
2.5* - I loved the first book but not this one. The overall story was strong but the author tried too hard to emphasize ethnic diversity and it was all tell, no show.

This is the 2nd book of the series but reads well as a standalone.
Dee Wy
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars - Loved Parker and Greg as leading characters and the paranormal aspects of the story worked well for me. Mostly the relationship was just so special I couldn't put it down and the bad guy kept things a bit on edge in a good way. The ending was perfect. Good read!
Fujoster
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Neat concept, but I got over the whole shebang real fast though.
Theodora IK

I think it needs tighter pacing, but enjoyable overall
Lori Carter
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!

What a great read. The whole premise of this book is fabulous and fantastical and I definitely want to read more in the Guardsmen series. Thank you Cooper West.
UnusualChild{beppy}
2 stars

Greg lives a quiet life, dealing with his PTSD and working as a accountant. One day, he is asked to take in a dog who has recently been rescued from an abuser. Greg doesn't want to, but it the woman who runs the shelter is really desperate. He agrees to be a temporary stop to try and get the dog to a place where he can be put in a place with less intensive care. When Greg gets Parker, he realizes just how badly off Parker is. Still, there is something almost human about him, and his
Mimi
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it
To long....

Overall it was an okay story. Four different sections didn't make any sense to me. Why? Entirely to long to just get to the point. And all the denial about not being a Handler and Protector wore pretty thin fast but by any means it wasn't a DNF.
J K talbot
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read

Thoroughly enjoyable read, nice change to the normal shifter stories. Not a huge amount of unnecessary page filling sex which in my view is great. I enjoy sex scenes don't get me wrong but I hate scenes where they are literally page fillers it's boring. I did realise this was book 2 but I don't think it mattered. I would definitely recommend.
april lessig
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great different shifter book

I so enjoyed reading this book. Story line was excellent and it flowed when reading it. Definitely a page Turner and well worth the read!

• To Have It All
  • I'm Straight, Right?
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Devil's Hour (Zero Hour, #2)
  • Wolf Lost (The Wolves of Kismet #1)
  • An Egg for Ansel (Alaskan Pebble Gifters, #2)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • The One Decent Thing
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • Adulting 101
  • Be Your Mistake (Be Yours)
  • A Pebble for Lewis
  • Snow Way Out (Snowed In - Valentine's Inc. #7)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1)

Guardsmen (2 books)
  • The Protector (Guardsmen, #1)

News & Interviews