Start by marking “Blue Gold” as Want to Read:
Blue Gold

Blue Gold

(Gaia Trilogy #1)

The near future. Climate change and geopolitical tension have given rise to a new international threat - a world war for water. This most vital of resources has become a precious commodity and some will stop at nothing to control its flow.

When a satellite disappears over Iceland, Sim Atkins thinks he knows why. He is given the chance to join the hallowed Overseas Division
Published May 11th 2017 by Urbane Publications

To ask other readers questions about Blue Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Gold

Start your review of Blue Gold
Miriam Smith
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urbane
When I first started reading "Blue Gold" by David Barker it felt like I was venturing into the world of James Bond! Plenty of action, a fast paced plot and a tremendous thought provoking storyline, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this brilliant book.
I don't normally read science fiction or futuristic style stories but I bought this through the monthly Urbane Book Club and I'm glad that it was included in that month's package or I probably would have missed out on a very entertaining book.
"Blue
Bella Jones
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
As soon as I’d read the cover blurb for this tour I put my name down. It sounded like a James Bond adventure with a very real and timely global dilemma. I was hooked from the action-packed opening scenes and really enjoyed the fast paced plot and non-linear storytelling. The story is set in the near future and has some sci-fi elements – I confess I’m not a sci-fi fan, however, – it’s very well written and I did actually enjoy reading about the future world, so I’m glad I didn’t realise there ...more
Maureen
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
When I read the book description of ‘Blue Gold’ I was immediately fascinated by this read. Although I don’t read a lot of thrillers, this was a read that just interested me. Who doesn’t want to read more when you read about Climate Change? It’s such a ‘hot’ subject at the moment, I definitely wanted to read what could be written about this subject. Especially in a thriller!

I haven’t been reading a lot of thrillers lately. And it took me a while to get into this story, and not because of any lack
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-in-2019
This is action packed and fast paced from the very start and it had me hooked instantly! Set in the not too distant future the world is struggling with drought and water rations, and war is breaking out over it hence the term Blue Gold - we all know of Black Gold being Oil and the cause of past wars, now it is water that everyone is fighting over.

Sim and Freda are out unlikely saviours in this book and the whole thing has a very James Bond feel to it - espionage, terrorism, war, hopping from
Susan Hampson
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love a book that is set not too far into the distant future as there are still so many recognisable traits of today, with the addition of anything is possible too. Now everyone knows about global warming and well in this story the changes to stop it happening were just a little too late . Water has become a much sort after commodity causing world unrest. Well things hadn’t progressed for the better in a lot of ways and so it soon turns into a, get in first and take control before ...more
AP
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very entertaining!
Blue Gold is a fast-paced spy thriller set in the near future in a world facing global conflict due to the scarcity of water. A clever plot unfolds across the world whilst side stories enrich the main storyline. A cool premise, interesting scientific and tech themes, and believable characters make this a fun read!
Claire
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was one of the scientific kind of those set in the future hunting for a new kind of treasure to the norm.

Between the lines of the main plot, beyond all of the sci-fi and treasure hunting was a story of a lost man looking for a better version of himself, chasing a dream he thought he had and hoping to find his answers amist the action. This is what drew me into the story.

I’m not sure it was my kind of read, certainly not a ‘go to’ genre for me. I found I struggled a little because of
Chris Murphy
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On one level this is an action-packed page turner with compelling characters. It is written in a non-linear style that makes it interesting to piece together the background to the main plotline. Also, the author has a fun habit of including references to other films and books though out the story (and, as I discovered reading the afterword, it turns out I only found a minority of the references).

That alone would make this a worthwhile read. But underlying all of the action is a fascinating
Michelle Ryles
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
I'm not usually a fan of futuristic or science fiction novels, but I made an exception for Blue Gold as it is set in the not too distant future with a completely believable and frighteningly real storyline: a global water shortage.

Blue Gold really starts with a bang as we meet Sim and Freda, British OFWAT agents, as they are descending a snow covered mountain with a helicopter shooting at them. To find out what they are doing on a mountain and why somebody wants rid of them, we must rewind a few
Karen Cole
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You'd have to have been in a coma to not realise that climate change is (rightly) at the forefront of our collective social and political consciousness at present. In Blue Gold, David Barker imagines a near future in which the demand for water has meant the international community is on the brink of world war as various countries and terrorists resort to increasingly violent measures in the race to hold control over this 'blue gold'.
The book opens with a brief but exciting scene which introduces
Kathryn Parry
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing start and has me gripped. The story is broken down into three separate sections. The first starts with with the backgrounds of the characters and setting up the world the story is set in. The setting is Earth in the future with the war over water. It has a brilliant start and pull to the story and very happy to have a copy before release to review this story. I hope it continues to keep me gripped.

Just finished up the second part and a great character development and storyline.

No nasty
Jane Hunt
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in a possible near future, this story has enough topicality to be both riveting and worrying. Water, which has always been a precious commodity, in places where it is sparse, now arrives on the global terrorist agenda. Water is essential for life, and therefore controlling its dissemination, storage and use makes it a powerful weapon of mass destruction.

The story focuses on an initial incendiary terrorist activity, and the role of two agents of the Overseas Division OFWAT, which for those
John Smith
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. Fast paced, action packed, and with well defined and finely crafted characters. The action takes place all over the world and looks well researched. Moreover, the underlying subject matter - the likely global shortage of water - is thought provoking and worrying in equal measure. There is a strong message here about the consequences of inaction as one of the world's scarcest resources becomes more and more sought after by the rapidly industrialising Asian blocs. If you want ...more
OrchardBookClub
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is 291 pages of pure entertainment! It was like a high speed chase where I just couldn’t look away, not even for a second. The story is action packed from start to finish and that’s what I loved most about it.
I can’t imagine living in a world where we fight for water, we take this resource for granted so much and Sim and Freda’s fight shows how easily we do. I enjoyed reading how these two characters put their lives on the line time and time again, I had to gold my breath a couple of
Greg Lovell
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an unusual and brilliantly-paced thriller. It's got a message and echoes in your mind as a warning, without overcooking the subtext. So, read it as a globe-trotting page-turner, or take a little more from the story - our abuse of resources, the way the little guy always suffers first. I found myself thinking about it long after I put the book down. Highly recommended.
Lel Budge
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Blue Gold is set in a future not to far ahead.

It tells of a world shortage of water, the most precious commodity, and how the world powers fight for control of it.

Two agents, Sim and Freda, travel the world fighting to prevent terrorists and unscrupulous governments from taking control of the water supply.

It deals with the consequences of global warming and feels all too possible, when you think of the current climate,

An action packed, fast paced, thriller that gives you pause for thought. Very
NormaCenva
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this Series!
Rosemarie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a rollicking adventure with lots of action and a slight sci-fi twist, and an important message at its heart.
Katherine
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A future that feels disturbingly close! Yes you want to keep reading - each chapter screams along and easily digestible during a commute, but also enjoyed pausing to consider and guess the next twist and turn. The political angles keep pace with the humanity of the characters in action-packed sequences. Obviously an experienced writer who adds humour to a formidable topic. Loved the "old" references to movies of my generation and found the opening definitions of each chapter fun to connect with ...more
Sue
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set in the near future, this is a sci-fi thriller about how climate change could lead to a war for water. Water has become a precious commodity and is now the focus of political powers around the world, and some will go to extreme lengths to ensure that their supply remains plentiful.
The oversight of water politics is now under the care of an organisation called OFWAT, whose job it is to ensure the global supply of water is shared maintained.

When a satellite goes missing over the Arctic under
Jamie Garwood
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rip roaring and a real page turner of a book that has a pulse and zip about it that reminded me of Matthew Reilly's best work.

Full review is here:
Laura Newsholme
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found the premise of this book very interesting - a war undertaken for water. The action takes place in the near future and revolves around two agents of OFWAT as they investigate...something, and this is where the problems began for me. I found the plot really hard to follow as it just seemed to jump from situation to situation with no real linking threads. As I mentioned above, I'm still not 100% sure what set the investigation off in the first place. Also, characters are introduced that ...more
Linda Hepworth
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is 2028 and climate change has led to droughts and water shortages across the world and gaining access to ever dwindling supplies has resulted in an increasing geopolitical tension. Terrorists are attacking infrastructure on the ground, as well as targeting the OFWAT satellite tracking system – the world hovers perilously close to a global war for water. Late on a Friday night, at his home in Scotland, Sim Atkins, a graduate in Satellite Communications who works for OFWAT, receives an urgent ...more
LiteratureIsLife
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Read this review, and others, at: https://literatureislife.com/2017/10/...

Blue Gold is an entertaining thriller for readers who like spy stories with a splash of sci-fi. It does not necessarily fit into any one genre. The story is a little sci-fi but no more than an old school James Bond film would be. The MI6 agent characters have gadgets and with it being set in the near-future, technology is a bit more advanced. This is a pretty fast paced adventure and jumps around (geographically) quite a
Rae Stoltenkamp
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book tackles a problem I think the world is facing but choosing to ignore. Well, no big surprise there. While the subject is highly topical I found it difficult to negotiate the myriad characters and locations.
The language, particularly the dialogue is often clunky, suggesting a much needed further edit and also a second proofread. Some characters needed to be more fully realised but at other times I wished for more suspense as particular outcomes were too obvious for my liking.
I was
Hayley Dunning
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting concept, light spots, messy execution.
Weekend Wendie

• The Birthday House
  • A House of Ghosts
  • Little Siberia
  • Ghoster
  • Parting Shadows (Toccata System #1)
  • Eden Burning
  • The Dog-Eared Diary: A Chrissy the Shih Tzu Mystery
  • Christmas with the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #7)
  • Nothing Important Happened Today
  • Autism and Asperger Syndrome in Adults
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • The Secrets of Hawthorne House
  • Emma Littleleap Takes a Chance (Magic Animal Friends, #23)
  • The Lost Ones
  • 50 Ways to Worry Less Now: Reject Negative Thinking to Find Peace, Clarity, and Connection
  • Lock Me In