Start by marking “The Secret Lives of Colour” as Want to Read:
The Secret Lives of Colour

The Secret Lives of Colour

The Secret Lives of Color tells the unusual stories of seventy-five fascinating shades, dyes, and hues. From blonde to ginger, the brown that changed the way battles were fought to the white that protected against the plague, Picasso's blue period to the charcoal on the cave walls at Lascaux, acid yellow to kelly green, and from scarlet women to imperial purple, these surp ...more
Published September 7th 2018 by John Murray (first published October 20th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Lives of Colour, please sign up.
Gregory Weisler While the edges of the pages roughly match the color being discussed, they are not essential to the content. I have a hard copy of the book, so I can …moreWhile the edges of the pages roughly match the color being discussed, they are not essential to the content. I have a hard copy of the book, so I can tell you it doesn't make that much difference. The real interest is in the stories and history associated with the colors the author has chosen to include. Also, given the vagueries of print, most of the colored edges of the pages are not true to the actual color - or at least not as accurate as the pigments themselves in either acrylic or oil palettes.(less)
Diane Gabriel I have the new version.. and I think the edges of the pages roughly matching the color described add to the feel of reading the book. I bought mine at…moreI have the new version.. and I think the edges of the pages roughly matching the color described add to the feel of reading the book. I bought mine at a museum (the London Natural History Museum)
But I have also seen it on Book Depository for a good price! (less)

Start your review of The Secret Lives of Colour
Will Byrnes
description
Image from Videokarma.org

Consider life in black and white. Many creatures have dichromatic vision, (two kinds of cone receptors), which allows limited color perception. Monochromatics see only the gray scale from black to white. (Skates, rays). The cinematic and TV worlds were both certainly B&W for a long time, before color imposed itself on screens large and small. And, while B&W still holds a respected place in the visual arts, particularly in photography, film, and drawing, it is color tha
Ilse
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
However de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum, in my experience colours, like the weather, can make an convenient topic to spark or rekindle conversation, having saved me a few times in socially awkward situations - as wherever we are, colour is everywhere.

Years ago I read Victoria Finlay ‘s Color: A Natural History of the Palette which, notwithstanding I learnt a lot from it on the origin of colours, entailed having to wade through numerous pages of rambling self-absorbed travelogue and
Paul
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2016
We take colour for granted these days; where ever you look you have garish clothing and brightly painted items competing for attention. But it was never like that, go back several hundred years ago, and lost people wore grey or brown cloth that had been dyed with the ochres and earth colours. Those that had some colour in their lives were the rich; they could afford the purples and reds that adorned their clothes and the rare blues and yellows that graced their artworks.

In this fascinating book,
Jane LaFazio
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It's a series of short, and fascinating, stories of about 100 different colors. I loved the random trivia and interesting facts. I think anyone, even with an interest in color, would love this book. A great gift idea!
Roshani Chokshi
I'm someone who revels in the quiet stories and histories behind seemingly mundane objects or even words. This book was so fascinating, and practically drenched in sensory poetry and historical tales.
F
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018
Loved this
Judith E
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is not a book about color theory but a compilation of snippets about 75 colors. Each color has a very short account that ranges from explaining the original chemical/mineral composition of the color to explaining the status the color signified throughout civilization. For instance, the color blue’s transformation from being the most undesirable color to the most popular. Or, that chochineal required 70,000 dried bugs for a pound of color.

Interesting tidbits and the short sub chapters are p
Babbs
Ever wonder why Ferrari chose the color red? What about why Van Gogh's sunflowers are slowly wilting as the years pass? Are you curious why some colors are considered royal? If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, you should give this book a go.

An interesting glimpse into the history and changing meaning of color over time. The exact dialog about each color varied, with some focusing heavily on the historical recipe and how that was interesting, and others narrowing in more on the social
《Maram》
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book appearance-wise is very pretty but not much on the inside, I came expecting a book about the meaning and effect of colours but instead a boring account of some shades of each colour.

My problem was that it was boring and monotonous even though I am interested in the topic, the writing wasn't captivating either. Also, some important shades weren't talked about such as turquoise or lilac or lemon yellow or coral or many others.

One other issue I had is that the book didn't talk about the
Hannah
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fascinating book! If you’ve ever wanted to know more about colors and what they have meant throughout history, you’ll find this to be an interesting read like I did. It answers several questions that I didn’t even know I had, such as: why are doctors’ coats white? Why was blue formerly associated with girls and pink associated with boys? Why was blue a historically undervalued color in Western countries, even though today it’s one of the most popular “favorite colors” in the world? Why do ...more
thefourthvine
This book would be an interesting podcast. One unusual color name per episode, with a random collection of facts about it — I can see how that would be a winning formula. But the problem is that this entire book is just random facts about some colors — Prussion blue, avocado, lead white. The color entries for the most part don’t even qualify as essays; there’s not any kind of arc or conclusion or lesson drawn. This book is the written equivalent of sitting at a long dinner next to somebody who k ...more
BELLETRIST
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We chose this book for our January Amuse-Book because it's an absolutely wonderful read about the history behind some of our favorite hue's. It's a great conversation starter! You won't believe some of these stories, we can't wait for all of our babes and beaus to read! xo E+K
chcubic
Aug 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre, unfinished
You can even imagine the writing process: pick up a color with whim, google to see if there were any interesting anecdotes, then lump them up.

The end result? A book full of piecemeal information suitable for party chatting without organized idea or purpose. The amount of good reviews is a testimony of either the shallowness of our time, or the deluge of fake reviews. Hopefully it's the latter.
Sean Goh
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A colourful read bound in a beautiful cover that would add colour to any coffee table. Who knew that painting in the olden days required considerations such as making sure your paints didn’t react with each other and burn a hole in the canvas?

Our brains normally collect and apply cues about the ambient light and texture. We use these cues to adjust our perception, like applying a filter over a stage light. The poor quality and lack of visual clues like skin colour in the dress image meant that o
Rossdavidh
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multicolor
Often, the books I read are One Big Idea books (e.g. The Black Swan by Nassim Taleb; Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond; The Righteous Mind, by Jonathan Haidt). Others are Many Small Idea books (especially collections of essays). This books is of an a different kind, unless you think that a color is an idea.

Whatever the name is for the profession where you make sure that the printing doesn't mess up the colors, they must have been ecstatic about getting this job. Every 2-3 pages is a differ
Kimberly Ann
Thorough, comprehensive, assiduous, meticulous, conscientious, painstaking, methodical rigorous, in-depth, exhaustive, all-embracing, & anal-retentive book I have ever read: and to think when it came out I, as an artist who loves & revels in color, was so excited, that instead of waiting to read a Library copy (there was a humongous wait list) I bought one to own.

That was a mistake, but I learned (well no, I let most of it pass me over) more than I ever wanted to know, that I didn't even know
David
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice diversionary read. The many 2-3 minute chapters are generally entertaining and informative.

At first I thought the book would be solely about how artists made or obtained particular paint colors hundreds of years ago. There's a bit of that, and it's interesting enough, but fortunately the book mostly consists of mini-histories and cultural asides. Black and its assorted shades are covered in the final section and here the author seemed to run out of steam. Maybe it was the color it
Lena
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It's hard to describe what a delicious book this is. The author has combined her twin passions for color and fashion and mixed them together with history, art and chemistry to provide a delectable collection of morsels about where colors we might not think twice about first appeared in the human story, and how they and their making evolved over time.

I found this book on the "Staff Picks" shelf of our local independent bookstore and flipped it open to the pages on Tyrian Purple, Cleopatra's favor
Victor The Reader
The perfect read for any person who loves colors and who wants to learn about their inception ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤(Grade: A).
Toby
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So...the bright red of a strawberry is just the colour the strawberry is NOT! Mind-boggling; the light fails in the evening, colours fade, leaves are no longer green - but then, they never were actually green...

A fascinating book, page after page of amusing and provocative colourful slices of art, history and philosophy; and much else besides. Certainly a book to return to - and one to bore people with for a long time.
Yun
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Secret Lives of Color takes us on a fascinating exploration of all the different colors throughout history and art. The book is divided into short stories on each color, filled with details about how they were made and used throughout history.

Before reading this book, I never gave much thought to all the colorful pigments we use in our daily lives, taking them rather for granted. This book's deeper look has made me realize that for much of history, it was difficult, expensive, and sometimes
Jamie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating book for artists or anyone interested in history from an unusual perspective. It is also so beautifully made that it is a joy to hold!
Nicky
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
This was perfect for a kind of scatter-brained mood: the stories about each colour are short, and it's easy to dip in and out. Actually, it's better that way, since there's some repetition here and there between the colours, and it can get a bit samey to just sit down and read multiples. It seems to be well sourced and squares up with what I know about the history of colour and optics, though admittedly that isn't much!

I would definitely recommend reading it on a colour screen, or preferably in
Jodi Blackman
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating tour through the history of colour, with the manufacture and popularity of a rainbow of hues discussed in lively, short essays that engage and amaze. St Clair delves into the personalities, quirks and trivia associated with colours we take for granted in our everyday, colour-saturated lives, but which were once difficult to obtain and produce. From ground up precious gems, to poisons, to bugs, the astonishing origins of these oft-times poetically names shades will delight the reade ...more
From BBC Radio 4 - Book of the week:
Writer Kassia St Clair gives a potted history of the colour palette, beginning with the surprising stories behind various shades of white.

Read by Francesca Dymond
Producer: Eilidh McCreadie.

Cheryl
Aug 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
St. Clair makes it clear that the history of color is separate from, and larger than, the history of art, but the only tag given by Penguin on this is 'art.' The preface makes me think that it should also have 'science' and of course it should have 'history.' Also, my library shelved at 155.9114... 'art history' is 709, 'memory' and 'logic' bracket 155, hmm... 'psychology, adult' is at 155.6 so now we're getting somewhere, as I can see this being thought of as a psychology book because stuff lik ...more
Dana Stabenow
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you might expect, this is a book about color, divided into chapters named for primary colors that are further subdivided into constituent colors and their individual stories, all illustrated with items from history and literature. Take white, which begins with a quote from Moby Dick.

...There yet lurks an elusive something in the innermost idea of this hue, which strikes more of panic to the soul than that redness which affrights in blood.

Page through to one of white's constituent colors, Isab
Casey
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was a great book to keep around and pick up from time to time. I was really fascinated to learn something about pigments as I knew basically nothing beforehand. You also pick up all these extemporaneous tidbits about history and culture along the way. Each color receives individual treatment and reads like essays so it's easy to read in small doses.
Jolien
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was absolutely fascinating. I had this book on my wishlist ever since its release, but always put off buying it. A week or two ago, I felt the urge to buy it, then picked it up immediately after it arrived. I couldn't stop reading. I'm definitely going to look further into this topic, the resources she used and the other fascinating colours she included in the back. I'm going to read this again and again because there's just so much knowledge here to gather.
Lauren
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such an incredible and insightful book - the history of colours is simply fascinating!
Play Book Tag: The Secret Lives of Color - Kassia St. Clair, 4 Stars 3 17 Oct 17, 2019 03:11PM

• The Brilliant History of Color in Art
  • The Elements of Color
  • Interaction of Color
  • Chromatopia: An Illustrated History of Color
  • Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye
  • Secret Language of Color: Science, Nature, History, Culture, Beauty of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, & Violet
  • The Photo Book
  • "be a Peaceful Cloud" and Other Life Lessons from Bob Ross
  • Rock 'n' Roll Love Stories: True tales of the passion and drama behind the stage acts
  • Queer  X Design: 50 Years of Signs, Symbols, Banners, Logos, and Graphic Art of LGBTQ
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • The Long Weekend: Life in the English Country House Between the Wars
  • Jack Kirby: The Epic Life of the King of Comics
  • Edvard Munch: 1863-1944 (Basic Art)
  • Keys to Drawing